Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on November 5, 1997
Cynthia Tobias and Carol Funk have written a great book to help parents affirm and encourage their kids. Even when what the kids do seems very negative, underneath is a strength, a quality that can be nurtured.
Stubbornness channeled in the right direction becomes steadfastness. A loud mouth might signal someone who is not afraid to speak up for what he believes. Doing things "my way" could indicate a spirit of independence and adventure.

Parents can learn to take the worst traits of their children and turn them into positive strengths and Tobias and Funk will show you how.

At the end of each of the 80 sections there is help to recognize the strength, and ways to bring the child to accountability for his actions.
on February 19, 2010
For all of those nagging little problems and attitudes that surface with your kids, this book helps you to see things in a new light. You're invited to see how those same qualities that can be frustrating to you, can be channeled into positive directions and encourages you to see the strengths in every child's personality and how to direct those strengths into positive attributes and actions. I wish I had had this book to read when my son was younger. So many useless battles that could have been averted and so many lost attempts to praise. As he is now a new teenager, I am still able to find plenty of good advice, but most of the examples and stories are geared toward younger children. It's never too late though and I have seen several big changes as I have enlarged my vision through reading this book.
on July 9, 2012
My children are 6 and 4. I'm not sure if it's because of their ages that this book didn't appeal to be seeing how I loved Cynthia's book, You Can't Make Me But I Can Be Persuaded about strong willed children. Will keep it on my bookshelf for a few years to see if later down the road it's useful.
on June 24, 2014
This book delves into some of the issues that are challenging for parents, in raising children, from day-to-day. I love how this book takes many kinds of scenarios, common to many, and addresses the underlying issue head-on as a challenge, honestly recognizing it for what it is. At the same time, it shows how the behavior that seems so currently problematic can actually be seen as a strength from a different perspective, growing into a bigger strength much more down the road when approached with love, patience, and understanding. Honestly, this is a book that helps adults be flexible in our views and perspectives on things. i.e. some kids talk a lot which can frustrate some parents. However, as the book points out, if the child is an auditory learner, it helps him to be able to talk in order to think and understand things. So, the incessant talking isn't to be annoying, there's a reason behind it all. Talking is what helps that child understand the world around them. Also, asking questions about everything under the sun can get on parents' nerves sometimes when the child wants everything to be explained but this is a sign of an early strength in the child in that he truly wants to understand the world around him and is asking a parent, or someone he trusts, to help make sense of it all. It also shows that child values the ideas and opinions of others if they are willing to discuss something collectively. Also, some kids love taking things apart. The parents might see this as just plain destructive, lacking discipline and value for things. Actually, it's the complete opposite. Some children are so curious and creative that they just want to learn more. They are not content with what something appears to be on the surface, they want to learn all about the intricate inner workings of things and that can only happen by taking things apart. The book has some good tips for this. If there are certain things you don't want your child to take apart, you have to provide them with other things they can. Otherwise, you stifle present curiosity and potential creativity. The book recommends finding things at garage sales or things around the house that can be taken apart and put back together. Providing opportunities like this feed ingenuity and future creativity. This book is full of all kinds of good advice and helpful solutions that teach us as adults to bring out the best in children, through a variety of scenarios, when we're willing to take the time to see things from a different perspective. This is one of the most helpful books to me as a mom!
on September 12, 2013
This book will keep you laughing. Short Chapters so it would even make a good bathroom book and wonderful insight about children and their parents - a must read for all parents. Loved it!
on January 1, 2013
This is a fabulous book that really gets us to look at and consider the way we interact and communicate with our children. It's one that you should keep on the bookshelf and review often.
on September 9, 2009
Bringing Out the Best in Your Child is nicely put together in an easy to refer to format. A great reference book that brings optimism to most parental challenges.
on December 14, 2010
The information was very helpful to me in my life, my family, and was a nice resource for class papers.

I enjoy this author's style, and writings.
on February 5, 2013
I have a grandson that is ADHD and has ODD and bought these for the parents. Helps to better understand and handle situations
on December 15, 2015