Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on January 1, 2008
Ok. Pound for pound this is the ultimate smoker for the price. I've been smoking (food) for the past 17 years and the Brinkmann has never failed to produce! The only problem I've had with it was getting a 24 pound Thanksgiving Turkey out without it falling apart and me burning myself. To tell you the truth I forgot how I managed to get the Turkey out but everyone raved over it's flavor! Filled the water pan with wine instead of water. Ribs, Tri-tip, Chicken and my favorite, Salmon have all come out perfect! The trick is keeping the coals hot throughout the duration of cooking time calculated. 4 racks of Ribs (6 hours), the rest half that time. I've had a total of 6 of these (sometimes using 2 at once) throughout my 17 years of smoking. Enjoy! BDM
22 comments|81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2009
Brinkmann's Smoke N Grill is perfect for the beginning smoker. What makes it perfect is the fact that it doesn't have all the fancy gadgets of the higher priced smokers and one has to actually learn how to make this contraption work by way of trial and error. Controlling cooking temperatures is a tedious task because there are no vents and the top has plenty of space between it and the body which allows alot of heat to escape. Modifications can be made to the unit which in turn will enhance its performance. Look around online for ECB modifications (El Cheapo Brinkmann)and you'll be glad you did the mods which will make things so much easier for you.
55 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2007
i have had my smoker for a few years and have used it to smoke briskets and even turkeys. Works great, Easy to use and it's upright design makes it easy to store. light weight and a verry generious water pan for marinades.

Heres a quick tip... about an hour before you are done smoking throw some veggies in the marinade/water pan and boil them in the smoker while finishing the meat. I also prop a instant read thermometer in the lid to get a accurate reading of the internal temp of the smoker (low, med, high guage is rather vague)

if you use both racks only put items you do not need to handle on the lower one as you won't be able to access it if food is also on the top rack.

Works great as a regular grill also.
on August 22, 2010
I love it, I've smoked something every night for a few weeks straight. For the price it cant be beat. Chickens come out so tender and juicy, they literally melt away in your mouth. It's a bit difficult to regulate the temp though due to the charcoal ash smothering itself out constantly and it's nearly impossible to get at once the foods in and the smokers HOT. I saw some guides online to overhaul the smoker with a few minor tweeks like drilling holes in the charcoal pan.. i may just give it a go since it's not expensive to begin with. Great Bargain I'm off to Smoke sausages!
review image review image
on September 2, 2013
The Brinkmann Smoke 'N Grill is a perfect way to get started in smoking. I assembled it and and started using it last weekend. My chuck roast turned out so tender and juicy that I was asked to do a repeat performance today (which I am in the middle of doing). There seem to be a lot of complaints on here about the design of the product and having a hard time maneuvering charcoal, wood chips, and water into the smoker after it is started. Here is some advice I have found to eliminate those problems: First of all people must keep in mind that this is a lightweight, portable smoker; of course there is going to be less room to work with compared to larger smokers. Secondly; this is pretty much a charcoal powered slow cooker when you are smoking, not a standard grill. Treat the charcoal fire just as you would a wood or coal stove. I use a cheap fireplace shovel ($5 at a home improvement store) that I bent into a scoop to load more charcoal and wood chips in. Regulating the temperature becomes a mere matter of another scoop of charcoal when looked at from this point of view. I load more water into the pan through the top of the smoker. My meat is positioned so I have a small area in front cleared for the water. A tea kettle or water pitcher works great to make sure you do not drench your meat. I also recommend full grill gloves instead of mitts just for extra protection. As far as rusting, as long as you follow the directions and cure the smoker before the first use and spray it with non stick spray after each use you should be fine. The only problem that i really see is that the charcoal pan could have come with a grate. I plan on buying the electric conversion kit that Brinkmann offers Brinkmann 812-3323-0 Smokeshop Electric Converter for winter smoking and using charcoal in the summer. All in all, I feel that this was worth every penny.
on November 2, 2011
I've had this smoker for several years and I have smoked several honey cured hams from Gordon Food Service in it and they always turn out great. My Dad gave a foil insulator for it, I have never seen these in the store and hard to find on internet. I also just purchase the charcoal booster grate from Brinkmann. I have been thinking about drilling four small holes in bottom of charcoal pan in addition to charcoal booster grate. This Smoker works Great I would suggest it to anyone Wanting to get started in smoking there own meat. I use mostly Hickory and Apple Wood Chunks, and Im going to try smoking more meat on this next year.
review image review image review image
on June 29, 2013
With this smoker I have smoked tuna,salmon, and various cheeses with excellent results. Co-workers always ask me,when are you gonna bring us some more salmon OR ask if I buy some salmon can you smoke it for me and my family and bring it to work. I have also BBQ`d chicken, ribeye steaks,hot dogs,shrimp skewers, squash,ribs, and pork chops. Yes,the Brinkman smoker is the best smoker I have ever used but its also a great BBQ`er. I like this Brinkman smoker so much,I have two. I can do 2 racks of salmon at once by stacking one rack over or under the other by pre cutting 3 S shaped hooks made from a metal clothes hanger OR putting 3 empty tuna cans on the bottom rack and placing the 2nd rack on top of the other rack.
on July 16, 2008
I wanted a simple, affordable and easy to use smoker and this one foots the bill perfectly. At less than $70 it was the least expensive and the most efficient unit i could dream off. The fish I smoked tasted delicious and afterwards i used the same coals to grill a steak to perfection. The thermometer on the lid lets you know when the unit is ready.On another ocassion i smoked a whole turkey-fantastic. Just make sure you use long mittens when removing the water pan...
on December 14, 2014
I've got a fair collection of grills and smokers and have come to the realization that one model does not fit all applications. I have two Weber's the large one and the middle sized one. Rarely use the middle sized one. I have a Luchenbach Two Barrel smoker that is great for briskets and ribs. I have Masterbuilt electric smoker that is perfect for ham's, turkeys, and pork butts/roasts. I purchased the Brinkman to solve a problem I've been having with chicken thighs (I know, just for chicken thighs?). Yup, just for chicken thighs, and probably wings. As you can probably tell I cook outside a lot. Beet at it for going on 40 years. Have never mastered chicken thighs that met the approval of the live in Chinese/Chef/Maid/Massues/Wife of 47 years. Gotta keep the wife happy. Assembled the grill/smoker yesterday. Got up at 01:00 this am, went to the store and got the fixins to do Guamanian/Chamorro style chicken. Put the thighs in the marinade at about 02:30 and this afternoon about 15:30 (3:30 pm) I fired up the Brinkman. Put the thighs on the top rack skin side down, put the cover on, after 25 mins turned the thighs and cooked for another 25 mins. Had a few little flare ups with grease dripping onto the charcoal, but with the chicken on the top rack, ignored it. Took the thighs off, ate same. Live in Chinese Chef/Maid/MassueseWife actually said she liked them. Something she never says. It's usually along the lines of yeah, o.k.

O.K. the assembly, quality of parts, etc. The quality of parts is no better or worse than that of my Weber kettles. One of the reviewers mentioned that there was a quarter inch or so gap between the lid and the body of the smoker. Reading the assembly instructions I found that that is a design feature to allow adequate air flow. The only problem I had with the assemble was the wooden handles. I have huge hands and even with the use of a rather extensive tool box, just couldn't master the nuts and bolts in the recessed holes of the wooden handles. My red neck brain wasn't in full gear so I did what a red neck does, grabbed the duct tape. Worked fine. If it ever comes undone I'll try drilling the access holes out so I can get my fat fingers in there, or may use some high temp JB Weld. I'm NOT going to mess with the nuts and bolts provided.
on January 18, 2012
It was fun and easy to assemble. I have to say I did not appreciate it bent, and having to scrape away some of the cracked paint off the pans. Other than that it was fine. I read a lot of reviews before I bought it and on youtube I found a lot of videos that explained how to do modifications with the smoker.