Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on January 30, 2012
I oredered this smoker and it was very easy to assemble , the smoker works great the water pan is too small which means you must keep a close eye on the smoker to ensure water does not run out and your meat gets dry . After the first use the temp. guage quit working , i figured i would still use. However after the second use the plug in prong melted and i can no longer use it . I am currently waiting on replacement and hopefully will not have the same problems. I would not buy this product it is not worth the money , Lowes has a better smoker that is half the price and has a much bigger water pan .
55 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 16, 2012
I recieved the smoker on the delivey date promised. It had a couple minor shipping dings. The hinges for the doors were put on with pop rivets that had been popped before they were drawn down tight. I drilled those out and put in some metal screws. The doors don't close tight a situation I plan to remedy before the next use. The inner wall had been put on with screws that were the same size as the holes they were to fit and so I replaced all of them with the next size up of metal screws.

All of that said my first run was a total success and could not have asked for a better job of smoking and the pepperoni and sausage I smoked turned out great and would have been even better if I hadn't tried for a couple more hours of smoke which dried them out a little. But that was operators error and this is the first sausage and pepperoni I have tried to make. The flavor sure beats the soy impregnated store sausage and not having all that fat, which we trimmed off, in the finished product a real plus.

The thermometer on the door proved to be quite accurate and something that I will use in addition to the meat thermometer in the next batch. I got my sausage making supplies from Eldon's Jerky and sausage supplies in Kooskia Idaho. I started with their sample package and a couple others not in the pack. I like all of the ones I have tried so far. Also their casings. The smoker is a real value and would have been excellent had a little more care in assembling been taken. How ever since we do a lot of things in our shop these were not as large a problem as they might be to someone with no knowledge or tools. Visit our web site to see what we do in our shop.
John H. Austin Jr.
45683 Highway 101
Sixes Oregon 97476
aandtmyrtlewood.com
on February 23, 2012
I purchased this smoker basically for the ease of use and because I also own a Brinkmann propane gas grill. The overall quality is good for the price I paid. Assembling the smoker was easy and the instructions were clear and easy to follow. There were no missing parts and the smoker went together quickly. Another reason I purchased this smoker is the availability of replacement parts from the Brinkmann website if any are needed in the future. The control for the heater element is simple, just like an electric skillet. You will need an temperature probe to monitor the temperature as the one on the door is not that accurate. I am pleased with the smoker and would recommend it.
on July 18, 2013
Smoker works like a charm so long as place the wood firebox directly on the heating coil rather than in the rack. Doesnt get hot enough to generate much smoke otherwise. Wood chips last about 3 to 4 hours on highest setting before need replacing. Very nice having two doors so can open just the bottom and not loose temp. Get a probe type temp gauge - there is threaded hole in back of smoker made just for it - so you know when food is done without constantly opening doors to check on it.
on December 13, 2012
where do i start with the problems i have with this smoker first the thermostat was not reading correctly so i had them send me another one (guess what that one didnt work neither then i had a huge problem with the electric thermostat control unit that plugs on the botton right side of the smoker after a while it melts the plastic on them i have already gone through 2 of them and im waiting for the 3rd to be sent to me (its on back order for 4 months )!!!!!!!!! no wonder its a major design fault thats for sure
on January 7, 2013
I've have used this smoker four times now, and here are my findings to date.

This smoker is cheaply made and the assembly and quality control is poor; thus I had to make several fixes/modifications to get the unit smoke-ready. As noted by another reviewer, the inner walls are fastened with screws that are in some cases the same size as the drilled holes, thus they are loose - so loose that a few popped out as I unpacked the unit. I used larger metal screws as replacements where this happened. Also, the two nuts that are supposed to be used to bolt the heating element to the unit were missing; again I had to use my own replacements. The smoker doors were warped and didn't seal flush with the unit when closed using the spring handles. This required some slight hammering to shape them for a proper seal. I also drilled out the pop rivets used for the door hinges and replaced with short metal screws; this helped with the door seal issues somewhat, but the hinges are not very sturdy and still have a lot of flex in them. On first use, I discovered that the temperature gauge on the front was off by about 100 degrees. I installed a much-better replacement gauge (see 2" Thermometer). Finally, a tab on a door handle plate on the inside of the unit broke off after minimal use. To Brinkmann's credit, they shipped the warrantied replacement parts quickly after they were ordered.

Having said and done all that, it turns out the smoker actually works pretty well. I've used it to smoke chicken, chicken wings, turkey, pork shoulder/loin, and beef brisket. All came out with great results. The electric heating element seems to be working fine so far (no melting), and regulates the temperature as needed. I've used the unit in outside temperatures ranging from 30-55 degrees and have been able to maintain a consistent internal temperature of 225-250 when smoking. The chip and water pans seem to be sufficient size. There is also a small vent hole on the back of the unit which is good to use with and feed through a digital probe/cable of your choice; I've used this one with good success so far (see Digital Probe Thermometer).

If it wasn't for all of the material and quality issues, I would have given this unit a four-star rating. However, because of the numerous problems I've had to address/fix, it only gets two.
on February 21, 2014
The first one I had delivered was damaged so they got me a new one very quick, this one was also damaged but I really didn't want to go thru that again so I kept this one.

The door does not close tight, the temp gage does not match the temp showing inside the smoker. Hard to tell what's really happening in there. The price was right.
on December 24, 2012
My husband enjoys grilling and smoking. He uses gas, charcoal, wood and now electric. It takes longer than we anticipated, but the technique of smoking meat is slow and constant temperature. Once it was done...believe me it was worth the wait. Fantastic results and a user friendly product. Very happy
on February 18, 2013
I purchased this smoker almost 2 years ago as a birthday present for myself. The first two I received had shipping damage, but third times the charm and I finally got one that was not damaged. The temperature dial goes up to 450 degrees but the absolute hottest my smoker will get it a little over 200, on a good day I can get to 220. The temperature gauge on the door is totally useless as well. This unit does create nice smoke and, if you have the patience, will cook the food well. But same up a little more money and get a better quality smoker.
on March 20, 2013
The unit did not work and parts had to be sent for self install, handle has already "lost" the spring on it

See 1 answered question