4.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected
This light is not used as a critical source because living in north eastern US we don't get enough sunlight in winter months to keep the battery charged. This is true with most low end solar devices. Other than that, it works as expected.
Published on January 8, 2011 by Karen

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Satisfied
Published on March 30, 2006 by M. Plank

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Satisfied, March 30, 2006
I dont like to put bad reviews or provide information thats false. However I am not satisfied with this product and in the process of returning it. I followed all the directions for charging the light and adjusting it as well as fine tuning the sensitivity so it was not overworked or in a high traffic area. Three full days of sun light was spent charging the unit and adjusted it using the test feature during day light hours.....verified it when it turned dusk on the auto feature and all was tuned it good. When i went back out 3 hours later the unit no longer functioned. It came on for about half a second then immediately off. Pretty indicative of the battery had already been fully discharged. The company is a very good company but this product in my mind was a waste of time and money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Many parts not available, February 24, 2007
Gsaxon "Greg" (Long Beach, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I have the model SL-7, and I tried getting replacement parts but the only parts available are the battery and the bulbs.

The screw-on lens covers on my unit have yellowed through age and the light therefore is not as bright as it could be - but no replacement covers. Althought the solar panel on my unit is cracked, it still charges the battery, but no replacement solar units are available.

My unit no longer lights even with a replacement battery, but I am leery of buying bulbs because if the unit still does not light, I am out of options.

The light worked well when it worked, but be aware that there are few replacement parts.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this product, May 27, 2014
This review is from: Brinkmann 821-7000-0 Solar Home Security SL-7 Motion Detector (Tools & Home Improvement)
Don't buy it, i won't go into my whole "experience" with it but it is a terrible product and I wouldn't buy another one. I bought another brand at a club warehouse for 30 bucks that works great.

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not last, May 21, 2013
I have gone through 3 of these lamps in the past 2 years.
The first one failed after 8 months.
Makers offered a replacement under warranty. That one failed after 1 year.
In the meantime, impressed that they replaced the lamp under warranty I purchased a second light, hoping the first was a isolated failure.
That one has now failed, also just over 1 year in service.
On examination I found in all cases the lead acid battery was not charging. Checking the PV pannel output in full sun indicated a bad solar cell.
Out of interest, I opened up both pannels and found that the solar panel was subject to water ingress and had corroded the contacts of the wafers which are not well sealed.

Bottom line is that although the concept of the design is good, the quality is poor and the product will not last.
3 units which all failed in such short time is not a coincidence.

I should add these lamps were not purchased through amazon, but from Northern Tool.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not well built, March 8, 2012
This item works, but is made with cheap, fragile parts. Of the 5 I acquired, I had to glue multiple parts in a fixed, vice the flexible position it is supposed to have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected, January 8, 2011