5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than I Expected
The setup was incredibly simple, exactly as shown in video. I'm a 53 yo woman with absolutely NO handy-man skills whatsoever, and if I could install it in 5 minutes, anyone could!

Published on November 13, 2009 by Janet L. Ng

1.0 out of 5 stars Brinno Displays Silhouettes
Published on June 15, 2010 by Kaspar

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than I Expected, November 13, 2009
Janet L. Ng (Humble, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brinno PHV132512 Digital PeepHole Viewer (Tools & Home Improvement)

I've only had it one day, so can't attest to the longevity of this product yet, but I've had the opportunity to view it both at day and night (with porch light on). The picture is very good, in color, and the zoom lets me zoom into the area that's about 25 yards in front of it. It works PRECISELY as described, and I feel 10 times more secure about seeing who is at my door than I did with the standard, crappy peephole. I can see the picture on the screen even when standing 10 feet away from the door -- except you need to walk up to the door to press the button to turn it on.

The only thing that I don't like is when you push the button, it makes a slight click noise, and I'm not sure if someone outside the door could hear that -- probably not, but it should have been designed with totally silent operation.

The only other suggestion I have would be to have a remote so you could turn it on remotely without even having to walk up to the door. Other than those two things (and believe me, the pros of this viewer FAR OUTWEIGH those puny issues), I am absolutely satisfied (on day one) with this viewer.

You must have the porchlight on to see anything at night. With the porchlight off, the screen is totally black - so it does need light. However, with the porchlight on, the view close up to my door is spectacular. The view out away from the door, where the area is dark, is zero at night -- but you can see perfectly who is at your door with a light on.

If the batteries run low, it's easy to turn the viewer and it comes off to change the batteries. Even without the viewer in place, you can still see through the peephole, as with a standard peephole viewer - so if you run out of batteries, you are not left without a view until you can buy more batteries - simply remove the viewer, and use it as a standard peephole. Even without the viewer, the range is much broader and clear than a standard peephole.

From the outside, it looks just like a regular peephole, except the person on the outside can NOT tell when you are looking because there is always something over the hole (the viewer). With standard peepholes, the person outside can tell when you move up close to look out, but not with this one.

The viewer remains on for a few seconds after you turn it on, and if you want it on longer, simply keep pressing it between zoom and regular mode. I like it that it turns off after about 5 seconds, as that's really all you normally need, and it saves on the batteries.

I like to use it to "just look out there" if I hear something, and want to see what's going on without opening the door -- so it's not only good when someone rings your bell, but also to just keep an occasional eye on what's occuring "out there" in front of your door and beyond, as well a broad view on each side.

I am totally pleased, and would highly recommend this viewer to anyone who really needs to see who is outside, without letting the visitor know you are looking -- and who needs to have a broader view. Great purhcase -- one of my favorites in a long, long time!

1.0 out of 5 stars Brinno Displays Silhouettes, June 15, 2010
We have had bad luck with the Brinno PeepHole Viewer. It was very easy to install and its packaging is well-designed. However, in broad daylight, it only showed a dark silhouette of the person and the person at the door could not be recognized. Brinno's Customer Service asked us to provide frontal illumination and we added a 9-LED motion activated light source, but the person at the door still could not be recognized. We sent a picture of the display to Brinno and the Customer Service representative agreed that it was defective and needed to be returned for a replacement. We then shipped the unit to Brinno in California and received a replacement. The new unit too only produced silhouettes. Have now returned the new unit to Amazon for a refund. Amazon made it easy with a download for the return package.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to install, works only if you are lucky enough to get a good one, viewer picture just OK, October 4, 2010
UPDATE July 2014: I liked the first one I got (see old review below) so when I got a new house I ordered another one - and discovered why there are so many bad reviews to go with the good -their quality control is terrible. This second unit had the sensor mounted in the unit incorrectly, so it could only see the upper right corner of what the physical peephole could see (this was NOT a problem with my first unit). I don't know if their quality has declined in the past few years, or if it is just random chance if your unit is assembled correctly (and it is a sealed unit, no repair possible). I changed it to 2 stars (orig. score was 4, this unit is a zero, so 2 on average).

OLD REVIEW:
1. It took 5 minutes to install, no joke. If you have a peephole already in the door, you just use the enclosed tool to remove the old peephole (30 seconds), insert the new peephole in the hole, hand tighten, and you are basically done.

2. Sticking through the door is basicly a decent peephole of the type you could buy for about $15 (which is why it fits the old hole) - so the overall image will not be better than that. The electronic viewer takes that peephole image, corrects the normal fisheye distortion, and projects it on a small blah quality LCD screen. The end result is an image much better than a normal peephole, but much worse than a "camera lcd screen" that the item description claims (unless you are talking about a 5 year old 1 megapixel point-and-shoot).

3. Although the image quality will not blow you away, it makes the peephole much more usable, and it prevents the person outside from using a reverse-peephole scope to see inside.

Overall, a nice security upgrade that you can easily install in minutes. The image quality is less than I had hoped (worse than the description seemed to promise), but I would buy it again in a minute.

5.0 out of 5 stars Electronic Peephole Viewer, May 23, 2010
I recently purchased this electronic peephole viewer from Amazon.com. I like my privacy so I have a solid door with no windows. I also like seeing who is at the door without having to open it so I had a peephole in it. I understand that there are products called peephole reverser's available that can be put up to a peephole on the outside of the door that would allow some ner do well to see inside your home. Recently, in this county a young man was killed by some gang members who were knocking on his door and as soon as they saw the peephole darken they shot eight bullets through the door killing him. I believe that one of these electronic peephole viewers would have saved his life. They work very well and when you push the button the screen comes on so you can see outside and if you push it again you get a zoomed view. It takes five minutes to install even if you have to drill a hole in the door. If your going to put a peephole in your door one of these electronic ones is the way to go.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy - Very Dissapointed, September 17, 2010
The product looked good on web site. Testimonials were good. Install was easy.
HOWEVER there are many problems - it was a waste of money for me
1) The first 50 times I pressed the button there was no video. I 'sort of' got it to work by repeatedly pressing/holding button to get video.
NOTE: An email to company asking for help was met with silence.
2) I'm 6 feet but my family is shorter so I installed it a few inched below my eye-site. The video screen/display turns 'darker' unless you look at it straight-on
3) My front-door is set back about 4 feet - there is an overhang. Even on a bright day I could not make out the face of someone standing in front of door. I could see outline / dark but no facial features. Very poor picuter quality.

I'm sorry to write this - I love the idea - but they really cheaped it / doesn't work.
For $100 - this purchase was a disastor. A digital camera only costs $100 and works 1000% better screen. I went to Lowe's and got a standard peep for $5.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but...., March 13, 2010
This product is very nice, but the bright daytime background makes the images of those at your door so dark that they can't be readily identified. There is no user adjustment to correct this problem.

2.0 out of 5 stars not applicable for my front door, March 9, 2010
It's a great idea, but because of the way my porch is configured, all I could see was a silhouette. Happily, Amazon.com stands behind it's sales and I received a full refund including shipping both ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product., February 8, 2010
I bought this for my 87 year old Mother because she couldn't make out who was at the door 90% of the time. Looking through that little peep hole gives you a rather distorted view without much detail. This slick little device has the same technology as the digital cameras, giving you a mini picture, with a zoom option, of the area around your front door. This is really the way to go.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for everybody!, March 29, 2011
I installed this product on my front door. IT DOES NOT WORK, PERIOD! If you have an enclosed door entry like mine, then the face is always dark. You can tell that someone is there but you will never be able to recongnize the face. Be carefull ... only buy this item if your door entry is open and the light comes on the person's face from all directions. Having a light fixture over the head is not enought as it does not shine light on the face.

3.0 out of 5 stars eletronic peephole not as good as expected, March 17, 2010
I find that the face displayed is very dark unless a good amount of light is coming from the front and that is unlikely as the door is there. Unit is better than a standard poophole, just wished the view looked more like the ad.

Brinno PHV132512 Digital PeepHole Viewer