4.0 out of 5 stars Brinno is making a name for itself.
Published 11 months ago by Just Chris

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice little toy, but...
Published 14 months ago by Mate Vasilj

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice little toy, but..., July 3, 2013
This review is from: Brinno TLC200 Pro HDR Time Lapse Video Camera (Electronics)
Hello all, after reading the few available reviews and a few youtube videos I ordered the camera (PRO HDR) as soon as it was available. It arrived on time and well packed. The first thing I noticed was that it seamed smaller than what I expected. The package contained the camera with the 19mm kit lens, 4 regular AA batteries, a little screw and a screwdriver and the manual... read the manual, sufficiently informative.

Tested the cam and the true benefit was the battery life, it truly does wonders, I had it shooting a timelapse for 16hrs and the battery meter still shows fully charged. The build of the cam is nice, the only thing about the build was the kit lens is just way to wide, it seams wider than the one on my DRIFT GHOST and the GOPRO HERO3, I find it almost unusable for the timelapses I wanted to do. I wanted to order an additional lens but they are just overpriced at $400 for 18-55.

What bothered me the most was the manual focus with the built-in screen is just complementary useless, it is pretty much trial and error when it comes to focus. The camera has the ability to zoom in for focus purposes but the image shown on the vertically oriented screen is just as poor as it gets.

Another thing that I found strange was the GUI, it seams to me that it was made for people that do not use any other cameras, the settings of white balance and the other manual settings are deep in the GUI. Another thing about the GUI is, no matter what setting you change, one you hit OK you are back in the root menu, then you need to click your self back in to the are you were at to change the next thing in line or if you mistakenly changed something... I just find the keys and the GUI very fiddly at the least.

Honestly, I am giving this camera another go and then I will most probably send it back.

P.S.
I bought the WATERPROOF HOUSING for $60, I expected something that will last for at least a few shoots, this is the worst type of waterproof enclosure I ever got. The plastic it was made from is the most fragile plastic on the market. The hinges are made of thin plastic with metal loops, one cracked the first day. The enclosure only fits the camera with the KIT lens. And this was for sure the worst part of my buy, basically I burned $60. I have 5 different underwater housings for different cameras/camcorders, the one from Drift GHOST I got for $35 is a TANK compared to this.

On another note, I went to the BRINNO website to see if there is a Firmware upgrade for this cam., no luck, then I noticed that tlc200 firmwares is still at v1.0, and it has been on the market for a while now, it seams that they are happy withthe GUI and all and there is no plan to fix or improve things up... :(

4.0 out of 5 stars Brinno is making a name for itself., October 3, 2013
Ordered this on a whim because if something takes good pictures or has the potential for interesting movie making, I am interested. Almost cancelled it wondering "what did I need to time lapse?", and glad I didn't. I should also clarify that I bought this on a lightning deal that was less than the 299$ price it's currently at (Oct 2013), and I feel the 299$ is too much, but the 219$ or so that I paid was just fine.

For me the biggest conveniences of this unit are that it takes regular AA batteries and they last FOREVER. I've probably recorded 5-6 days worth of captures and batteries were only 1/2 dead. The other awesome thing is unlike a GoPro or other non-purpose-built units, the time lapse in this unit is automatic. When you pull out the SDcard your movie is on it. That is awesome to me. No more animation shop or imovie creations - just slap it in and watch your movie. It still produces a file that is easily edited in most common editors too - bonus.

I also like that it has a tripod mount on the bottom as well as a big rubber pad. So far I have just let it sit around under its own weight on the pad, but the tripod will come in handy if I ever wanted to use this in a car or something (I have RAM mounts in my duty vehicle for example).

On the down side, the menuing system is a little old school and I wish the display was touchscreen and a little faster. But really the settings you need are mostly there. Yes you do get bumped out to the main screen once you "set" a change, annoying. But you can adjust the frame rate (for playback encoding), the capture rate/interval, set a timer for capture period (days hours minutes) and even tweak the scene for stars, daylight, etc.

At the end of it all , you get some ok "instant time lapse video" that you wouldn't have otherwise gotten. I've sort of discovered a whole new realm of photography that I have only dabbled in before, but thanks to Brinno I am now going to be sticking some neat time lapses into some of my home movie cut scenes.

removed a star for the annoying screen/menu issues, but if I could add anything to this product it would be:
+ let me interface with it from my phone, use low energy bluetooth and at least let me check if it's still recording or warn me if batteries are low.
+ lose the annoying screen, and cheesy menus that bump you out to 'confirm' the change, you're charging 300$ for this thing it should excel compared to my 150$ gopro and it doesn't on menus.

If you have bought this unit after Sept 2013, make sure you check for new firmware and update it. It will add the timer mode and make it a little bit faster (not much).
Hope you enjoyed this snapshot of my experience and good luck!

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm a Believer, June 19, 2013
Gadget Ho(!) (Silicon Valley) - See all my reviews
I waited for weeks for more (than 3) reviews before finally pulling the trigger on this one. I've done 2 tests at different settings so far (in daylight) and it works quite well! So it's not 1080p. So what? I found that a simple upscale in Premiere Pro with a moderate amount of sharpening fixes that. I own a GoPro Hero 3 and had thought of using it for time lapse in the field. Unfortunately, you'll never get the battery to last beyond 2-3 hours! And while there are plenty of external power supplies that WILL last overnight (check out the Anker Astro 3), there is the issue of either waterproofing a GoPro Skeleton Case (which you'll need to attach external power) or modding a standard GoPro waterproof housing (e.g. drilling just the right size hole for the miniUSB plug). Plus, there's no editing: It outputs AVIs. Very nice... So, no, it won't blow you away. But it's a nice toy for about the right price.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Fun Camera !, June 3, 2013
Very clever and capable camera. It might seem that it's a bit frivolous buying a camera whose main purpose is to shoot time lapse videos (I haven't tried the Motion Detection Trigger accessory yet) but think about it. Whenever you have a social event I know I'm always distracted by wanting to take still photos, trying to capture the right moment, changing batteries, etc. etc. But if you set up one of these Brinno's you can set back and enjoy the get together while this provides the photo coverage. My friends love getting the resulting video which captures so many fun moments. As it advertises, the output is a FINISHED video ... no having to convert stills into a video. It's low light capabilities are very impressive ... better then a GoPro3 even. This video clip is embarrassing but it so well shows it's low light capabilities: https://vimeo.com/67400404

The room was only lit by the sliver of light coming in from behind the shade. In fact I MINUSED the exposure by two lines worth in the Custom Settings to help preserve the feeling of darkness. Yes, I'm a Pro ... so I LOVE having convenience on my side when I'm doing things for fun! I need to get the water proof housing so that I can keep shooting with the kids spraying water, my racing competitors spraying champaign and lovely Rain to Sunshine time lapses ... hopefully with a Rainbow forming. Check out the Brinno Facebook page for my ideas and samples of what other folks are doing with their Brinnos: https://www.facebook.com/BrinnoInc

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera - powerful features - easy to use, May 29, 2013
David W Anderson (BROKEN ARROW, OK, US) - See all my reviews
As a professional videographer, I'm a skeptic. But, this TLC Pro is an excellent camera. I've performed extensive testing in a variety of indoor and outdoor settings and I've been very pleased. It's extremely easy to use - out of the box - but if you wish to access more sophisticated settings you can. The ability to focus is excellent as are the exposure, saturation and contrast controls. Plus, the low light capabilities are wonderful. I've been shooting from dawn to dusk and it handles the extremes very well. I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product for the Price, September 11, 2013
I bought this camera to shoot a construction site in KY and send video to my boss in MD.
The only reason it doesn't rate 5 stars is that it does not have either a timer, nor software to edit (shorten) the video.
Very adjustable capture rates, but "Start" and "Stop" is about it.
Great picture, good wide angle. We are shooting a 3 square acre site and capture most all activity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, August 17, 2013
Have been looking for a camera that I could leave out at night to capture the stars as well as other things during the day.

Got this camera right before we went on vacation. Took some cool pics. I also bought the weatherproof case so I could leave it out at night. So far no problems with it other than you can adjust the lens while it's in there or turn the camera on/off (only really cons at this point).

Had a minor issue with the camera but I contacted the folks at Brinno and they took care of the problem immediately!

Would buy another camera from them again!!!! Looking forward to getting new lenses for the camera.

Cool camera!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep it up!, July 16, 2013
I've been using Brinno cameras for years. Started with the Garden Watch Camera. It was down and dirty, but that was what kept the price so low and allowed me to do things with them that I would not have felt comfortable with had it been a more expensive piece of equipment. This costs a good deal more than those versions, but you now can get highly usable footage. I feel the cost is justified. Brinno is smart and builds on what they do well with, I look forward to seeing what comes next. Hope they stick with the model though... quality affordable options :)

Keep up the good work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Get Any Simpler, October 24, 2013
This is a great product. I've always wanted to do time lapse, but never wanted to get into all the mechanics of it. Who wants to tie up an expensive camera and risk it getting damaged or "permanently relocated?" Brinno makes time lapse stupid easy. It is almost a miracle in the palm of your hand. I read the manual, set up the camera and did a great first video of carpet being installed in my game room. Here's all it takes: Position the camera, select the capture interval, turn the camera on, record the event, turn it off, let the Brinno do its thing (image processing), pop out the flash card, slip it in the computer. iPhoto loads it -- BOOM! You've got a time lapse movie. It saves as an AVI, but when you load it into quick time (as in play it in quick time) it automatically gets converted into a .mov. It's that easy. No assembling in post (as with the GOPRO unit). Seriously, this thing makes time lapse as easy as taking a snap shot. Image quality is very good. Size is shockingly small -- in the palm of your hand. Light weight. I was even pleased with the packaging -- rivals that of apple products. This is truly a user friendly device. Buy it and enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great little workhorse!, July 9, 2013
It was packed very well and arrived a day early. Very much appreciated because I have been wanting to get back to my old hobby.
After only two long term trials I am in love. The picture quality is great. The motion is very smooth. I used to do time lapse manually with a squeeze ball trigger so I really appreciate the ability to program the time between frames with such flexibility. I have a project in mind and this little gem is going to get me there. It has a great range of settings to get the picture just right. I really like how it creates the AVI file when finished recording. You get a ready made file to download and enjoy.

Brinno TLC200 Pro HDR Time Lapse Video Camera