Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon March 25, 2012
It was time to replace my old Brita Pitcher, so I decided on this model. I am very happy so far. It is large (10 cups) yet the design seems like it takes up less space in the fridge.

It claims to be BPA free (I didn't test it). And it works with the standard Brita filters. If you are familiar with Brita filters and like them, then this is a great pitcher for you.

It doesn't have the fancy lights or date indicators to tell you when to change your filter, but I had those before and they didn't work too well anyway. This basic model comes with the "sticker system" which allows you to put a sticker on the pitcher itself or on your refrigerator. The sticker has a reusable indicator that you can move to show when the filter is supposed to be replaced. (They recommend every 2 months, but depending on how much water you go through, it could be more or less frequently).

I'm very happy with my purchase of this basic pitcher, and I definitely recommend it to anyone in the market for a water filtering pitcher.
33 comments|295 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Brita's basic pitcher works reasonably well. but is more awkward to use than their nicer pitchers. I've pictured this Everyday Pitcher alongside the more expensive Monterey model (both are 10-cup capacity).

As far as the awkward goes: The handle is a little uncomfortable. The water pours kind of slowly (glugging out, instead of pouring smoothly). Pouring out the last couple of cups requires upending the pitcher. If you've just filled the top of the pitcher, you'll have to wait for it to filter through, because otherwise unfiltered water leaks substantially from the top when you try to pour. The wide-open top (when filling) can more easily allow contamination (splashes, drips, clumsy kids) than a smaller opening.

There's nothing fancy about this model. No hinges or joints, no filter-change indicator. Simple also means nothing to break, and mine has lasted through heavy use for nearly three years. I take it apart every few months and scrub everything (bleaching if there's any algae growth). The only noteworthy sign of aging is a build up of dark gunk under the clear sticker on the outside/bottom of the pitcher. That sticker is hard to remove, but has separated enough to allow water/etc to enter the gap (aesthetic issue only).

Brita filters work well, the water tastes great even if you have decent tap water already-- I won't reiterate what others have said. Particularly for drinking plain, or making coffee, it's well worth using filtered water (and cheaper than bottled water). These filters also remove a noteworthy amount of various metals that might be present in your water supply.

(I bought mine at a local B&M store, but Amazon is priced competitively)

Recommended over their fancier pitchers, if you're trying to save a few dollars.
review image
22 comments|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon July 20, 2014
I currently use a Brita pitcher filter but I've been researching the alternatives in order to decide whether to stick with it. The Soma filters (available only through their website) are nicely made from sustainable materials but they provide no data on how effective they are, and the absence of information seems a little sketchy. The ZeroWater pitcher filter looks compelling, and is one of the few filters to claim reduction of chromium-6 (see below). But perhaps if I was to switch from Brita it would be to the Berkey system which removes a lot of contaminants (chromium-6, heavy metals, and volatile organic carbons) and because of the steel construction and long-lasting filters, appears to be more sustainable.

Meanwhile, the fact that you can now recycle Brita filters through the Preserve Gimme5 program significantly increases the probability of my continuing to buy them. You can find drop-off locations on both the PreserveProducts and Brita websites (they are commonly located outside Whole Foods stores).

Personally my biggest concern with municipal water is the presence of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that are not regulated and certainly not understood in terms of health risks (a 2009 NY Times article "That Tap Water Is Legal but May Be Unhealthy" is worth reading). We're now aware of the dangers of endocrine disruptors such as bisphenol A (BPA) but there has been a huge increase in the number of new organic chemicals generated the chemical, pharmaceutical, and agricultural industries. It's the potential for removal of some of these organic compounds that makes a carbon filter a worthwhile choice for me. Note, however, that a carbon block filter (such as a Brita faucet filter if used at low flow rate) can remove VOCs much more effectively than a pitcher filter. Keeping the water level in the pitcher high enough so that it's in contact with the filter will improve VOC removal efficiency but it probably won't be as effective as a Brita faucet filter or a Berkey system.

The Environmental Working Group (EWG) found very high levels of carcinogenic chloramine by-products in Washington DC tap water and recommended filtration through carbon. Chlorine and chloramines are often used to disinfect water at municipal treatment plants and can pose health risks if not effectively removed before reaching the consumer.

The EWG also found surprisingly high levels of chromium-6 in tap water (following Erin Brockovich's investigation you would think this issue has been dealt with by now) and Brita filters aren't certified to remove chromium-6. A reverse-osmosis (RO) filter can do it, but considering it wastes 3-5 gallons of water for every gallon purified, RO isn't a very green choice from a water conservation viewpoint and since the water purified by RO is mineral-deficient it's not good for your health either. Alternatively, the ZeroWater pitcher filters (if you can afford them) do remove chromium-6, and they do offer cartridge recycling (where they recycle the both the plastic and the resin) but you pay for postage yourself and get credit in return (which may not cover the cost of your postage). However, based on some of the negative reviews for ZeroWater (mainly citing filter life, bad water, and cartridge price) I've decided that if I switch from Brita it will be to a Berkey system. A key advantage of the Berkey system is that it removes bacteria and parasites, so it can be used to filter unclean water in an emergency. One thing's for sure: any one of my top three options (Berkey, ZeroWater, or Brita) is a whole lot better than buying bottled water.

For more information on Brita sustainability and impact, researchers at the Sustainability Science group at the University of Vermont have written a useful evaluation of Brita filters that you can find on the web.

Overall, I'll give the Brita pitcher 4/5 gold stars for quality of the product and 4/5 "green" stars based on the social-ethical-environmental aspects of producing it.
88 comments|218 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2013
I just had to say something in response to those that left negative feedback about Brita pitchers and how they always have to clean up spilled water up from their floors...REALLY? Can't you people just wait about the 30 seconds it takes for the water to filter through and seep to the bottom of the pitcher? That's about all it take. The lids DO fit snugly on all models [it's only when you fill the top with water, close the lid and attempt to pour yourself a glass of filtered water that the lid...any lid ...will pop off from the weight of all the water that is STILL on the top].

Anyway, great item, I've had the same original pitcher for 13 years - not one crack, still works great. Got this current model as a spare and it is just as good too. Enjoy
1414 comments|236 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2015
I purchased this on Amazon 5/23/14 for $20.

A couple of days ago, the top of the handle cracked away from the body of the pitcher as I lifted it out of the sink. That's about 10-1/2 months of regular use before failure. It had a nearly-filled lower chamber but no water in the upper. Up until this failure, I was already unhappy with the fact that you couldn't pour filtered water from this pitcher if you had water in the upper chamber. The un-filtered water would leak out substantially from under the lid and mix in. We "solved" this issue by pouring water into another regular pitcher and just using this Brita pitcher for filtering water. Now that the handle is broken, I need to rethink our water filtering system. This is a cheaply constructed pitcher and I am loathe to waste (as of this writing) $22.99. This product definitely does now deserve a 4.5 star average.
review image review image
33 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2016
I used a TDS tester to test the filtered water, nothing changed. This filter basically does not do anything. Water TDS value was 595, after filtering, TDS was 505. FYI, the bottle water TDS value is around 20. This filter basically does nothing.
on October 18, 2015
When I was growing up, I would always drink tap water and that was fine to me. I ended up buying this mainly because I wanted my tap water to be colder and the filter was sort of a bonus. I've been very satisfied with this.

Update, after weeks of being sickly and not knowing why I discovered mold growing in my filter. This stupid thing has been slowly poisoning me which has had a big impact on my life over the last few months. I'll never use one of these disgusting things again.
review image
66 comments|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 9, 2013
It filters all that water in under 5 minutes! My pur took over an hour to filter 32 oz. I highly recommend. Don't buy Pur. Brita is a good brand and their filters are everywhere.
33 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2014
The reservoir does not separate from the pitcher for cleaning. Soap suds and rinse water can be trapped between them. The manufacturer recognizes this and states that if water gets in that space you should let it drain upside down. That can take a very long time.
on December 11, 2012
I've been using Brita pitchers for 20+ years and have used a variety of its products. In the last 6 or 7 years, each time I got a new Brita pitcher, I just got more disappointed.

Brita initially had a brilliantly designed product that caught on. Then they started tinkering with the design. But I guess there was a shortage of brain power (or an over-abundant supply of idiocy), so the design kept on getting worse: The lid started to fall off when water was being poured from the pitcher. Then the lid started NOT to fit...

This particular model has several issues:

1. It is very difficult to lift the filtering reservoir out of the pitcher. That is because the lip area has enough of an opening for fingers to grab the reservoir, but the handle-side is flush--and slightly receded under the handlebar. The reservoir is design such that one must use two hands to lift it, or else it won't come out. But there is only one place (barely) for two fingers.

2. Brita pitchers always had a flap at the spout, which conveniently keeps debris from falling into the pitcher. But it is not in this design. Gone.

Don't know what they are thinking or who messed with the original design. But this is truly annoying. I hope a new company can emerge to challenge Brita's dominance in this market and I'd be among the first to switch.
3636 comments|247 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse