1,813 Reviews
 (1,271)

4.0 out of 5 stars 40 gallons of spring-fresh water
We always kept two boxes of these on hand as replacements when we used our Brita filter pitcher (we went to an in-line because we drink so much filtered water --we'd go through 40 gallons in no time, but that is a LOT of water.) There are three "gotcha's" on these filters to be aware of:
1. Do not let the filter dry out. When the pitcher is empty, you...
Published on July 21, 2002 by Joanna Daneman

1.0 out of 5 stars Very dissapointed
Very disappointed,

Published on May 23, 2011 by Wenjing Zhu

4.0 out of 5 stars 40 gallons of spring-fresh water, July 21, 2002
1. Do not let the filter dry out. When the pitcher is empty, you should refill the reservoir right away. When the pitcher is full or partly full, the bottom of the filter is in the water and keeping moist.
2. The filter needs to be soaked and flushed exactly according to directions. Some of the charcoal packing comes off in the flushing process, and if you don't take care of it, you will have specks in the water. This is no big problem, just something to be aware of.
3. Never put overly warm or hot water through the filter.
If you follow the directions, you will have, as we did, gallons of water that cost a lot less and taste as good or better than the water you buy in plastic containers in the supermarket.

5.0 out of 5 stars 17 Cents Per Gallon, February 3, 2002
"bookville" (Midland, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
I have been using Brita filters for over six years now and I have nothing but the best to say about them. Living in a part of the country where the tap water contains impurities resulting in poor taste, at first I resorted to bottled water. Besides being hard on the old wallet, I found that some brands had a burnt aftertaste to them. So I tried Brita. I was amazed at how it improved the taste of ordinary tap water. It tasted better than some bottled water I had been purchasing and it was crystal clear. I have been using Brita ever since. The only drawback initially is the cost of the pitcher, but once you have it the only other cost are the filters that are readily available at most stores. Each filter lasts about 40 gallons, which translates into getting bottled water quality for seventeen cents per gallon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Product as described, great price, April 15, 2012
I read the reviews for this before buying and wanted to leave my own as the newest review was for a year ago.

This is a 10-pack of Brita filters, for a pitcher. They fluctuate a bit in price, but the deal here (I paid $47) is decent. You may be able to find them elsewhere for cheaper, though the warehouse stores do not consistently carry these filters, so it's up to you whether you want to shop around to find them for <$5 each. I ordered these and they got to my house <24h later, which I prefer to driving around town. The deal seems solid.

The second point I wanted to address was whether these are "old filters". They are new, unopened, in the org packaging, etc. I don't know that carbon filters even expire, but these look new and work just fine. The water tastes better after being filtered.

Finally, some reviews mention that, although the listing is for a 10-pack, it's really just two 5-packs. This is half true. The filters arrived in a big box that looked just like the picture above. When I opened the box, it contained two smaller boxes of five, like you would find at the store. I thought "oh cool, these will be easier to store in my basement than a big box." Each filter is individually wrapped, so I don't see what the big deal is. That said, if you have trouble with 2 x 5 = 10, then these are not for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars best filter I've found, December 22, 2002
Jay Riemenschneider (Roswell, GA United States) - See all my reviews
In California the water tends to be very hard. I purchased an under the sink two stage water filtration system and thought the problem would be solved. The water still tasted bad so I bought a Brita pitcher filter. Unbelievable! It tasted so good. I think it's because each filter has silver oxide particles mixed in with the charcoal and it softens the water very well. I wish I would have tried this filter first.
Since moving to the east coast I still find that these filters do a great job at making the water taste as good or better than bottled water at a fraction of the cost.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better Water, August 9, 2006
Jon Kreisler (New York City, NY USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The Brita pitcher water filtering system is a good idea if you have problems with your tap water. Filtered water is a much lower cost than bottled water and as long as your tap is running, you can have an almost endless supply.

I live in New York City. The water quality is variable at best. The city constantly monitors water and "adjusts" additives to combat bacteria and other pollutants. Often, especially in the summer months, the chlorine level is very high.

The Brita filter takes care of the chlorine problem and removes other additives, as well.

The result is clear, fresh & pure tasting water that is excellent for drinking, cooking, beverage making and ice cubes (bad ice cubes can ruin a drink.)

Heed the instructions about filter replacement. The filters are rated at 40 US gallons each. If you exceed the recommended filter "life", you will definitely notice diminished results. This is especially noticeable with chlorinated water. The smell returns and the filtered water does not taste as good any more.

All-in-all, this is an excellent filter, but it's no speed demon.

The only real problems I've noticed are with the pitcher timer breaking and the poor results if you leave the filter in the pitcher too long (beyond the 40 gallon estimated limit.)

Also, do not allow the filter to dry out once you've started using it.

Buying the larger packages of filters saves money and is worth it, in the long run.

5.0 out of 5 stars Improved filters easier to tell when to change out!, May 9, 2000
By A Customer
The Brita filters are an excellent lower-end water purification system. They work quite well in most cases and these new filters come with a guide that indicates when it is time to change the filter. This is a marked improvement over the old method of going by calendar days based on the number of times you fill the pitcher per day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hint for use of the Brita filter..., December 10, 2002
By A Customer
I have been using this system for a couple of years now. Here's a tip to get rid of the little black particles...
If you make sure to keep the water level above the level of the filter at all times, the carbon particles will not get into your water! Good luck!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very dissapointed, May 23, 2011
Very disappointed,

Very disappointed. The 10 pk was actually two 5 pk. One of the boxes was open when I received. When I opened the one filter, the blue granular pieces were all over the filter and inside of the bag. In addition, it has blue stains on the filter. I never saw any filters like this before and was wondering if it is used or it has expired. So I wrote an email to the seller - ClaudiaOutlet. But never heard back from them. It's a waste time and money buy.

I checked the seller on Amazon.com, but couldn't find it anymore. Hope it went out of the business. Just afraid that it has changed its name to continue selling their defected products, be aware!

4.0 out of 5 stars Well designed filter is a snap to drop in your pitcher, January 21, 2004
Daniel Rutkowski (Wernersville, PA USA) - See all my reviews
The Brita pitcher makes good water. I've tried a number of filters from whole house to faucet--singly and in combination. If your experience is like mine, convenience is a major limiting factor and here's how convenient these replacements are:

1. Rip, cut or tear open the plastic envelope.
2. Drop the filter in a dish or glass of cold water and let soak for fifteen minutes.
3. Remove filter from the soak and rinse it off under cold water.
4. Drop the filter into the hole in the top part of your pitcher (it's notched on one side so it fits only one way).

Buy these in multi-packs; they're most economical that way. You're going to need to replace the filter every two months so you'll need six filters for a whole year's supply of water.

Are you going to enjoy filtered water?? You bet! Tastes good?? Yep! Can ANYONE do this?? Definitely! Does it add any sodium to your diet?? Nope! Low-carb diet friendly, too.

One word of caution...there are always little carbon particles floating in the top part of the pitcher where you do the filling. There they are inconsequential because they can't get down to the bottom. I have seen a small amount of fine particles down in the bottom of the pitcher; the only solution I've found is to dump them out when I see them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty Water, December 26, 2006
Softens my hard water and makes tap water tasty. Be sure to soak filter prior for half a day prior to using. Keep enough water in the Brita container to keep at least part of the filter WET at all times. If you do these 2 things the filter works amazingly well. I use the filtered water for cooking and brewing tea and coffee (just like Starbucks does). I won't go back to plain tap water ever again! 3 filters seems to last about 3 months. No more lugging bottled water home from the store!!!!

Brita 35512 Pitcher Replacement Filters, 1-Pack