Published on November 11, 2011 by Mr.Nobody

3.0 out of 5 stars overfill=leaking everywhere, not great for small fridge
I've used the classic narrow long version at my parent's home before, but now I'm stationed in Japan and I've bought this new version that was locally available at the supermarket. This version has flaws that can be annoying meaning this design isn't quite "perfected." And it should be!

One problem is if you overfill it the extra water goes straight down the...
Published on June 7, 2012 by SparX

4.0 out of 5 stars Improved overall design, no leak, no spill, no sprout falling out, November 11, 2011
This review is from: Brita Marina Water Filter Pitcher, White, 8 Cup (Kitchen)
I have been using Brita's pitcher for 4-5 years and used three different types: Atlantis, slim and a classic. Initially the slim and classic had the same loose sprout problem that you would basically need two hands (one holding the lid, one holding the handle) in order to pour the water out without spilling it, the Atlantis worked flawlessly thanks to a snug-fit upper sprout (with water it would be very hard for the upper water container to fall out). Until recently I noticed that the slim pitcher had this carbon particle leaking into after filtration water problem. I've been following the Brita instruction for filter change since day one (immerse it in cold water for 15min and at least wait until the 3rd filtration to drink the water). Reason behind this instruction is simple, there might be loose carbon particles in the lower part of filter, so when you have water coming through it the carbon particles flow with it and stay in your filtered water compartment. However, after 2-3 filtration, the loose particles should be washed away already, and you should get clear water after that if the seal between your filter and the upper water compartment is tight. You'll see the carbon particles floating in your upper water compartment (pre-filtered water), but those should not be leaking down to the filtered water container. I normally use a dark color mug and never even thought about this problem until one-day I started to use a white mug, I noticed my water had black particles. Tried with new filters, tried with cleaning the pitcher and mug, all failed, which lead me to think it's the seal problem. Saw people complaining the same on Amazon reviews too, so it sounds like a design flaw.

Anyway, I started to look for upgrades. Thought about the Grand version as well as the space saver version, but they all had similar loose sprout complaints. I personally did not care about using two hands when pouring water, however, since my Atlantis worked out pretty well, it made no sense to get a different model with this problem. So far this Marina pitcher has best/consistent positive reviews as the Atlantis and Classic (which I knew work well), so I went with this one. Just got this package and got my filter prepared and water filtered. Everything worked as expected and I did notice several improvements in the design.

1. Brita apparently heard the loose sprout complaints, and this time, they used two small plastic hooks to snap upper compartment on to the lower container. The attachment is pretty tight, I tried a few times to see if I could get it off and clean the lower part for first usage, but did not want to risk breaking the hooks.

2. As one of the previous reviews said, the round bell shape of container did center the water weight better and I could pour the water out with one hand no problem, but I normally put my thumb on the lid just in case, so I can't say if you only hold the handle and pour it, if the lid would fall out.

3. No carbon particles in my filtered water.

Enough for the pros, and here are a few cons that bring it to 4 star:

1. Unlike the Atlantis, the lid in this pitcher sits on the upper container pretty loosely. That's why in my Pros #2, I said I used my thumb to press on it a little. But my feeling is, since the better centered geometry, it might not cause the spillage anyway.

2. the indicator is a nice plus, but the battery is non-replaceable and lasts for only 5 years according to the manual.

3. The handle is a empty tube type of deal with an open top, the bottom is not completely sealed nor open, so if you overfill the water or you faucet water goes sideways into the handle, it would slowly leaked out from the bottom of that handle onto your table or counter.

Overall, it looks like a good upgrade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, Love it, Love it, April 18, 2011
This review is from: Brita Marina Water Filter Pitcher, White, 8 Cup (Kitchen)
I have been a BRITA owner for years and I love the new sleek design of the BRITA Marina pitcher. I would highly recommend purchasing this product. At last a pitcher you can pour from while water is still filtering without any spillage of unfiltered to filtered water...yay

3.0 out of 5 stars overfill=leaking everywhere, not great for small fridge, June 7, 2012
SparX (NY, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brita Marina Water Filter Pitcher, White, 8 Cup (Kitchen)

One problem is if you overfill it the extra water goes straight down the handle where it slowly leaks everywhere. The only way to get the water out of the handle is to empty out ALL of the water including the filtered water. So you get water in there and you'll be having a drip farm to the fridge (if that's where you put it).

Why they didn't cover up that hole? beats me.

I use the shower because I live in the barracks and the sink is too small to fill it there.

The second problem is the round design is that it takes up more horizontal space in the fridge. That means before when you could put two things side by side and be able to grab both after opening the fridge, that "thing" you had before now has to go behind it or in front of it. So people with small fridges stay away!

Basically I think I prefer the old design. Will keep this one until it fails though.

5.0 out of 5 stars good product, November 28, 2011
This review is from: Brita Marina Water Filter Pitcher, White, 8 Cup (Kitchen)
I was on the fence about purchasing this product after reading all the bad reviews about the lid not fitting tightly. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this
Brita has no issues with the lid what so ever. Maybe Brita improved the design, I dont know, but I am completely happy with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, December 6, 2011
FYI : this product is the same as the Brita Marina Complete Water Filtration Pitcher except that this is the black version.

I have not purchased a Brita pitcher in many years, but it seems like they've really stepped up the quality with this new design. I love the sleek, modern look. I also love that it is still the same easy "fill-er-up" pitcher I remember. The light indicating whether the filter is still good is a great addition as well. The only very small drawbacks are that the handle is not closed at the top, so there is a possiblility of getting water in there, and the lid flap does not lock in place (inconsequential as far as I can tell). Also, the battery/bulb for the filter indicator are not able to be replaced, so when they go out in 5 years, that's it.

This product comes with the pitcher and one regular Brita filter. Because I know I can trust their filters, I am glad Brita has come out with an alternative to the classic white, boxy pitchers they started with.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a Brita user again and this is the style for me!, March 31, 2012
yomaven (Northeastern USA) - See all my reviews
As a clean water freak, and after years of bottled water delivery, I no longer wished to be complacent about my monthly spending for this necessity. The time had come for me to look again at the alternatives that are available for my home.

Come to find there were some new players in this market and that design was now an element to be considered. Though Brita has been synonymous for me with clean drinking water for (can it be true?) at least some 25 years, my recollections of the traditionally unwieldy, sterile looking pitchers left me somewhat less excited at the prospect of a change. Though I poured over these new options at several local retailers, I still kept walking away undecided and uninspired.

Then I came across Brita's good looking Marina design on Amazon and just had a feeling. It arrived yesterday and after a quick washing by hand of the pitcher and a 15 minute soak of the filter, it was ready for its maiden use... boy am I happy with it! Negatives? None to speak of. I recognize that it's a pitcher, so I need to get the water actually into it before it can be cleaned and then poured and that if I fling it about haphazardly there may be some resulting spillage. I'm not so sure I wish to rely on a digital minder regarding the filter life anyway.

Delicious water wrapped in a very smart style.

An excellent, low center of gravity and nice balance to the pitcher in my hand.

A comfortable grip and fine overall fit and finish.

Oh, and did I mention the great looks? This is a keeper for me; goodbye water delivery.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brita Marina, October 29, 2011
This review is from: Brita Marina Water Filter Pitcher, White, 8 Cup (Kitchen)
Great improvement over other models. Weight of the water is centered, a bit easier to hold and pour. Design more like a pitcher you would serve from the table, with nicer curves.

5.0 out of 5 stars very elegant, December 19, 2011
Karin Sowers (PRINGE GEORGE, VA) - See all my reviews
this pitcher fits right in with my steel - black - red scheme in my kitchen decor.
I have rheumetoid arthritis, so the handle being bigger around and soft is a great help and the reason I bought this pitcher. my old one went to work, since we have stopped getting filtered water, and I kind of grew used to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much Better, June 7, 2011
Graham P Clegg (Cambridge, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brita Marina Water Filter Pitcher, White, 8 Cup (Kitchen)
We were fed up with our last Brita pitcher. But we gave this one a try. Love everything that they fixed from the older generations.

3.0 out of 5 stars Makes your tap water taste better., December 13, 2012
This review is from: Brita Marina Water Filter Pitcher, White, 8 Cup (Kitchen)
This Brita water filter works as well as any other Brita filter, as far as filtering goes. They all use the same type of filter and all do a fine job of making your tap water taste significantly better.
This particular model works better than most as the design is slightly improved over older models. This pitcher's lid stays on while pouring water, which is a problem that plagues many other Brita models.
Also on the positive side, Brita replacement filters are easily obtained and can be ordered here on Amazon or found in many local stores.
The reason for my 3 star review then, and not a 5 is quality control. The first pitcher that was sent to me leaked water all over my fridge. The bottom of the pitcher had a crack running around the edge that wasn't noticeable until it actually started leaking.
The problem was remedied by using Amazon's excellent return service and a new pitcher was at my house in about a week.
Overall, I would still recommend this product, but the initial defective pitcher prevents me from giving it 5-stars.

Brita Marina Water Filter Pitcher, White, 8 Cup