1,068 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars This carseat could save your child's life!
Published on November 3, 2010 by One Thankful Mommy

2.0 out of 5 stars Britax needs to bring simplicity back for their customers
Published on August 8, 2011 by V. Davi

5.0 out of 5 stars This carseat could save your child's life!, November 3, 2010
This review is from: Britax Frontier 85 Combination Booster Car Seat, Rushmore (Baby Product)
Don't even blink at the price or anything else that really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of life. We were in a freeway rollover accident yesterday in our Honda Pilot that completely totalled the car. My precious 4 year old daughter was all strapped in tight in this carseat and walked away without even a scratch. As soon as I finish up this review, I am buying another one. Seriously, when you are in an accident like that, won't you be glad you put your munchkin in the safest seat possible, even if it can be a pain in the neck to install and annoying to get the cover off to clean? Also should note my 22 month old son was in an Evenflo Triumph (also gets high safety ratings). Thank God he was totally fine, but the strap that attaches the carseat to the anchor in the car literally ripped in half horizontally. It is a miracle that he is okay, because I shudder to think he could have been flopping around with only one anchor attached in addition to the over the seat tether...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great seat for HWH, April 19, 2010
I own several high weight harness seats, and this is my favorite! My son (5 yrs old, 47", and 43 lbs) has previously been in a Radian XT and a Graco Nautilus. He started to complain about the crotch strap being tight on both seats- I looked at it closer and it turns out the straps were coming out from underneath him even though they were on the furthest setting out- in both seats! We tried the Frontier 85 and he was much more comfortable- he has at least an inch or two until he'll be up against the crotch strap in the FN 85. I was worried about install, especially after reading about the original Frontier not installing well (or at all) in Toyotas. I had the FN 85 installed with the seatbelt in my '05 Highlander within 10 minutes, and that includes trying the short belt path first (I had to recline the seat and use the long belt path, but I have a rock solid install.) It really helps to watch the Britax install videos before trying to install it, as I could see how I would have had some trouble if I didn't watch the video first. The 9 year lifespan of the set is also a huge bonus!

2.0 out of 5 stars Britax needs to bring simplicity back for their customers, August 8, 2011
I own a Britax Marathon which I still use for my younger child, and had purchased the Britax Frontier 85 as a long term seat for my oldest child, currently 3 years old. Occasionally I need to remove the car seats and install in another vehicle. The Marathon can be done with ease. The Frontier, is the most frustrating installation I have ever experienced. I believe it is due to a cheaper design. The Marathon offers 2 independent straps for the latch system. Each is pulled individually for a taught fit. The Frontier however, only offers 1 pull strap for both latches. This may have saved $10 in design and construction costs per unit, but for the customer , far more a struggle than the Marathon design.

What makes it difficult is how incredibly easy it is for the strap to become twisted and tangled in an area behind the seat which you have no visual nor access to. I have read some of the positive reviews here and one individual was questioning intelligence for those that are having difficulty with the installation. I am a technical engineer by day with a master's degree, and can assure you, I am not lacking intelligence. I am also a volunteer firefighter, and have knowledge and experience on how to install, uninstall and in emergency situations, cut these seats in half.

Their customer service is what may save them from losing me as a customer. The representative acknowledged that if you pull taught when the strap is in a twisted state, that could cause it to want to twist during successive pulls. They are sending me a new set of straps to try. Ultimately I'd rather see an independent 2 strap design like the Marathon.

2.0 out of 5 stars Try cleaning vomit off of this and you will hate this seat forever, January 13, 2012
Amazon Customer (Somewhere, NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this seat a few months ago, managed to get it installed and everything was fine. Until my daughter threw up in it. It says do not machine wash. Are they INSANE??? After I struggled to get the cover off, I washed it in the sink 3 times with detergent and once with spray and wash, resorting to scrubbing with a toothbrush in the crevices. It still stank. I HAD to put it in the washing machine, it still smells bad, so it's in there again right now. Also, the top section of the cover does not come off, I wiped it down thoroughly, it still reeks. And how on earth do you clean the foam pad underneath the seat? The straps I managed to clean by dunking them in a bucket and using a toothbrush to scrub them. Luckily I still had her old car seat so I have been able to use that for now while I figure out this mess. I really don't have the money to waste on an expensive car seat that can't get washed well. Kids throw up Britax! How realistic is it to have a booster seat that is supposed to last for several years and not expect some poor parent to have to deal with cleaning puke out of the horrendous thing?

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favorite Britax product, January 14, 2012
emme's mom (Rockland, NY USA) - See all my reviews
We own a Roundabout and several Marathons between our kids. When our youngest need to move into the Marathon, we decided to move our oldest move into this seat.
Pros: 1. It is sturdy and appears to be as safe as our other 2 models.
2. It has 2 cup holders which our daughter uses to hold not only drinks, but other treasures as well.
Cons: 1. It is HEAVY.
2. It is difficult to install. The latch on this model is one strap for both sides, not one strap for each side. This is the main feature that makes installation difficult.
3. The arm rests are fixed. They do not go up/down. It makes picking up our 45lb sleeping child awkward.
4. Finally the last "con" is the seat cover and padding. It is not as cushy as the Marathon. It also does not cover/wrap around the whole bottom of the seat. For this amount of money, Britax should spring for a little extra fabric. The seat cover itself also keeps coming unlatched from the hook that is supposed to secure it to the bottom of the seat. Not sure why this happens, but it is annoying to have to keep relatching it.

Summary:
My daughter likes her new seat. It is safe. I just wish Britax could have thought out some of the extra details a little better.

UPDATE
We have now had this seat for just over a year. The arm rest we have to get my daughter over to get her in and out of the seat is now starting to break where the screw fastens it to the seat. I almost feel liketaking it off the seat, but am not sure if it would compromise the integrity of the seat.
The seat cover continued to be problematic. I duct-taped it to the bottom. I repeat this every few months to get the cover to stay on.
Honestly I would not buy this seat again if I had the choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars If I could give it a 10, I would!, November 30, 2010
I was all set to buy the Graco Nautilus carseat, but was still wondering if Britax Frontier 85 might be better. Both carseats were not being sold in any stores for me to go and check them out, so I decided to order both and test them out. I am SO glad I did, because in comparison, the Britax was BY FAR the better seat! And believe me, I REALLY wanted to love the Graco seat.

I would recommend to anyone to pay $100 more for the Britax Frontier 85, cause you get so much more in the long run!

Here's why:

1. The furthest crotch strap slot on the Graco Nautilus measured at 6.5 inches from the back of the seat. On the Britax Frontier 85, the furthest crotch slot is 8.5 inches! My son was almost sitting on the Graco crotch strap in its furthest position and he's only 10 months and SKINNY. With the Britax, he has plenty of room to grow and most likely will not be sitting on the crotch strap!

2. When I put my son in the Britax Frontier 85, his back and head were straight and aligned (no curving of the spine). In the Graco Nautilus, my son was hunchback cause the seat or headrest pushed his head forward and curved his spine. That totally made me question how it would affect his developing posture.

3. The material on the Britax Frontier 85 is sooo soft and smooth, but still SAFE (rock hard on the outside, cushiony on the inside). The material on the Graco Nautilus is awful! The seat is rigid and feels like sand paper/cardboard!

4. The harness strap on the Graco Nautilus is kinda short when pulled to the limit and doesn't look like there's much room to grow in it. Pretty disappointing when they claim a child can be harnessed up to 65 lbs! I highly doubt that! BUT the harness strap on the Britax Frontier 85 is LONG!!!!! And here's the best part -- I'M HIS MOTHER AND I WAS ABLE TO SIT IN THE SEAT AND STRAP MYSELF IN! I am 5'1 and 105 lbs, and I was able to sit comfortably in the Britax and strap myself in harnessed no problem! Most importantly, the crotch strap was still NOT under me. That means my son can grow to my size and still remain harnessed! That is phenomenal!!! Not that he'll need to be harnessed when he's my size, but the option is there! That's how I know I made the right decision.

My son hasn't been in the Britax for a drive yet (cause he's still too little), but I imagine it will be very comfortable (to the point of sleeping in it). And when he sits in it in the house, he doesn't squirm or scream (like he did in the Graco Nautilus). He loves it! Go for the Britax Frontier 85 over the Graco Nautilus... you will thank me! I returned the Graco Nautilus ASAP!

UPDATE: I did not realize that this seat specifies the child must be at least 2 years old. So with MUCH regret, I have to send it back. I still love it very much!!! And because I loved it so much, I decided to go for the Britax Marathon 70 -- also a fantastic car seat for my 10 month old son. I am now a total Britax fan! They truly make the best car seats I've ever seen. They are very expensive IMO, but so worth the money! I will be purchasing the Britax Frontier 85 in the future for sure, unless Britax comes out with an even better model by then! All I know is that every car seat I buy from now on is going to be a Britax! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like the Boulevard, you will love the Frontier 85, March 17, 2010
Julie (Denver, CO) - See all my reviews
I just bought and installed the Britax Frontier 85 yesterday. It was really easy to adjust the size to fit my son (3 and a half years, 43 inches, 41 pounds). I installed it in my Subaru Outback using the latch system, since the Subaru latch is rated to 60 pounds. It is really easy to do, the whole process took about 10 minutes. I switched him from a Boulevard, which took the same amount of time and ease to adjust and install. My only complaint with the install is that the lower latch only adjusts on one side, unlike my Boulevard, so the fit didn't seem quite as tight. I was able to crank my Boulevard so tight that if I shook it, my whole car would rock. The Frontier 85 is tight, just not quite as tight. Maybe it would be better if I used the seat belt instead of the latch.
We got the Rushmore color which is black and grey. It looks really nice, and the fabric is soft and high quality. My son really likes it because it looks a lot like a "big kid" booster seat. He loves the cup holders and arm rests. I love it because I am sure it is very safe, especially since my son can stay in a 5 point harness for a very long time with this seat. It is also very big, meaning my son can really grow with this seat, eventually using it as a straight booster seat using the seat belt. It is big, but it doesn't take up anymore space in my car than the Boulevard.
All in all, I am very happy with this seat so far!

5.0 out of 5 stars Older child is well protected, May 28, 2010
SoCal Gal (CA, United States) - See all my reviews
Automobiles are not built to protect small passengers in a crash - even small adults! If you want to increase the odds your child will survive a collision, I recommend keeping him or her in a booster seat as long as you are able to do so. The Britax Frontier 85 is more than just a booster - it is a booster with a top tether which significantly increases the safety of the seat. A 5-point harness is safer than the seat belt, and that's how my petite 9-year-old rides. The law says 8 or 80 but I feel that law should be more stringent. I plan to keep my daughter in the harness until she reaches 85 pounds and the belt-positioning booster until she is 12 or older. I have taught her that safety is more important than "image" - I don't care that all of her friends are allowed to ride in cars with no booster of any kind. The vehicle's seats and belts are NOT designed to protect your small riders. I'll say it again - a Britax Frontier 85 is well engineered to increase small riders' odds of survival in a collision.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Car Seat for Tall Toddlers, March 10, 2010
After doing the prerequisite research on all the car seats available, We decided on the Frontier. It seems to me that all the seats were decent, it boils down to a personal choice. We based our choice on features and safety. The seat appeals to me because of the height adjustment feature and its ability to grow with our child up until she only needs the booster alone. Our 3 year old had grown out of our Marathon but was not ready of course to be in a booster without at least a 3 point harness. I am, so far very pleased with the seat. The only complainst or comments I have are: The seat has a net like material on top of the microfiber on the seat..The netting gets caught on everything like velcro and snaps. It became ripped within the first week. I would rather have had the microfiber that is on the marathon (it does not appear that I can cut the netting out). Second, the seat is a little difficult to install. We went to the Fire Department as I had in the past and they had no idea how to install it seeing how its so new to the market. I called an install expert who came out to the house and installed it properly so we could see for ourselves how it should look. Third, the crotch buckle is really difficult to adjust, it took the expert and myself more than 15 minutes to get the buckle through the slot. Overall, I like the seat and would reccomend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Safe, comfy, easy to install, good looking...it's got it all!, June 25, 2010
mom, wife, chick (Chicagoland, IL USA) - See all my reviews
We replaced our Britax Wizard (like Boulevard) with this seat, as my 6 y.o. DD is 48.5" and the max ht for the Wizard is 49". In addition, convertible car seats tend to raise kids up high, so that her feet were dangling quite a ways up from the floor. She was also ready for some "big girl" features, like the cup holder. My only concern with the new Frontier was that the back sits up straighter and I was worried she may not be able to fall asleep like she used to in the Wizard - it's a rare occurrence these days but when needed, it's NEEDED! I was also worried I might not be able to install it myself but figured I could seek out help if not.

First of all, the packaging was a breeze to open. Always a nice feature! I took the seat out and had my DD sit in it inside the house so I could adjust the crotch-buckle and wing height before installing. Both were easy to do (although I DO prefer the dial-adjuster on our old Wizard, especially for making adjustments once the seat is installed - more on that later). I then moved the seat out to our Toyota 4Runner and installed it myself, in about 10-mins, in the back, center position. It probably would have taken me less time if our center belt was easier to tighten, but that's no fault of the seat. And it actually makes for a tighter fit - when I try, I can't budge the seat. The seat does seem to be a tad wider than our old seat, although I didn't take any measurements, but previously, I could fit 2 booster seats on either side of our seat and now I seem to only be able to fit one. Since we only have one child, this isn't much of an issue except when asked to carpool more than one child. It may also just be the way I've got it installed, or possibly the boosters I'm using (Compass, high-back boosters). Maybe something like a Graco backless would fit fine but I haven't tried yet. The rear-tether strap was also easy to adjust and tighten .

With installation out of the way, we went to comfort. DD immediately loved the seat, but I know her and the newness of something can influence her liking it so I waited until she'd ridden in it more often before making a final determination on the comfort. For one, the cup holders are nice and don't really get in the way of anything. I guess having retractable ones would be a good idea but maybe they'd then have to be moved within the seat, making them not as desirable - I don't know. But for us, they work as is and well.

As for ease, she is easily able to do and undo her buckles by herself, just as in her old Wizard. I will say, I felt the crotch-strap adjuster in the Wizard was easier to use and access than the Frontier, but it's not like it's difficult on the Frontier - just different and if I had to pick one over the other I'd pick the Wizard. But I can see that maybe the Frontier's design would prevent a child from self-adjusting. This was never an issue for us and in fact I'd often ask DD to help pull up on the lever if she was too tight so I could properly pull the straps out from the front seat. This really isn't an option anymore but not really a problem either. Possibly because it's summer and she's not wearing any layers but come fall, winter and spring where the number of layers she wears varies from car-ride to car-ride, it could become a bit more annoying. It is actually easier to use the lever now than before, but it's just a bit tougher to access as it's under the seat-cover and there's no access slot like in the old Wizard. This is minor though, really.

Another, less minor but still relatively small issue is with the wing-adjustment. Our Wizard has a dial feature that, while slower to move up and down than the Frontier, was placed on the side of the head rest, making access to it easy. On the Frontier, the adjustment is a squeeze-and-pull from the back, which is fine when the seat is out of its packaging, or when the wings are adjusted so high up that there's plenty of space for your hand, but when the seat is installed and the wings are still low enough that there's little space between the car seat and the seat of your vehicle, it makes it a tight squeeze to fit your hand in and adjust the wings. I had to actually undo the tether strap and seatbelt to loosen the car seat away from the vehicle seat to adjust the wings up. Now that I have though, it's at a height where I can better fit my hand back there to adjust when I need to. I'd say this is the only thing I really don't like about the seat but again, it may have been a necessary change, especially since this seat converts to a booster and a much higher wing-elevation. And if so, well then it's certainly a trade-off I'm willing to live with.

On to comfort. As I mentioned, DD could easily sleep in the old Wizard when she was tired. But it reclined a bit and when I saw her sit in the Frontier I thought she might be too upright to fall asleep, or that if she did that her head would flop forward. Well, so far she has fallen asleep twice in this seat and her head has stayed up just fine. I have to say, I really love side-impact protection for the safety factor but also for the comfort factor - without those wings, I can't imagine how she'd still sleep on longer rides. She also really loves that she has so much more freedom, including being able to touch the ground with her feet in the new seat with it being much lower in the car. Of course I can't see her face as easily now but I generally don't need to or can just adjust myself when I do need to. She also says the seat is comfy. The Wizard had side impact wings also so there's no adjustment for her with having any sight blocked. I have read people say they're worried about some kind of mesh cover on the back of the seat and I almost can't see what they mean. I mean, I SEE the material but I don't see that it could be a wear-and-tear issue. I also like the removal of the Velcro side patches which used to keep the straps in place when not in use to prevent twisting. I guess on the Frontier you're supposed to use the arm-rests for this purpose, but our straps aren't long enough (unless we adjust them to be every time we exit the car - not practical) to do this. But this is of no concern to me as we never used the old version anyway and things just got stuck to the Velcro, especially dance recital costumes!!! The straps are thick enough that they don't twist and we go easy on the seat.

One other small area of concern for me is the chest buckle. It tends to slide down closer to DD's stomach during a car ride, no matter how often we adjust it up. This was the case with the Wizard also. Yet I see my friend's Boulevard buckle stay in place on her daughter so I wonder if it's just us and if so, why. I've never seen DD lower it and have asked her if she ever does and she says she doesn't so no too sure what it can be. For now we just check it when we strap in and adjust as needed.

We also love the look of this seat (Rushmore). I'm not a fan of cutesy prints, especially gender-specific, as it's harder to pass down or sell if that's your plan. The non-folding arm-rests have also worked well for us, and as mentioned earlier, so do the cup holders. If DD weren't as skinny as she is, the crotch-buckle could possibly constrict her a bit early, but I don't think it will be an issue for her or even average sized kids. If your child is thicker, especially in the thigh area or mid-section, you may want to try this seat in person first to see how the fit is.

In all, it's a great seat! At age 6, DD is almost 45lbs, 48.5" and finally feels like a big girl in a 5point harness seat! Having a vehicle w/o side-impact airbags means that I'm willing to spend the extra on the car seat I feel will keep her safer, longer, and offers its own side-impact protection. She loves it and is comfortable and I was pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to install and adjust. IMO, another winner from Britax!