4.0 out of 5 stars Britax vs. Recaro (Britax Good but I prefer Recaro)
I have one each of the Britax Marathon and the Recaro ProRide for our two vehicles. I studied and agonized over the decision on which car seat(s) to get when I purchased them several months ago. There are a plethora of reviews that pit the Britax against the Recaro, so to save you reading time, I'll keep my review brief:

Pros of Both:
-Sturdy, High...
Published 23 months ago by Justin Fevold

3.0 out of 5 stars Its a great carseat, BUT...
Its a safe carseat...no doubt. The safety ratings prove that. However, there is much to be desired. My son is 2.5 and we've had this seat for about a year and a half, so I consider myself fairly versed. However, he is still rear facing so I have zero experience with this seat front facing. Here are the cons:

1.) This carseat is not easy to install. It takes...
Published 8 months ago by Chanelle K

4.0 out of 5 stars Britax vs. Recaro (Britax Good but I prefer Recaro), August 14, 2012
This review is from: Britax Marathon 70-G3 Convertible Car Seat, Onyx (Baby Product)

Pros of Both:
-Sturdy, High Quality
-Great padding
-Plenty of adjustment for a good secure fit (and our little girl is definitely behind the growth curve in weight: 1 year old and 17 pounds!)

Cons of Both:
-This is probably vehicle dependent, but if installing as rear facing then sometimes difficult to get it level because of how many vehicle seats slope down. Ultimately, in our Camry I followed manufacturer recommendations and used a tightly rolled towel underneath to achieve the right placement.

Reasons I like Recaro (I'll qualify this by saying both are good, this is just a preference and am probably splitting hairs):
-installation slightly easier due to nature of the latch belts.
-harness release is much easier to find and just seems to make more sense (ergonomically) based on how your hands work when you are reaching in the vehicle.
-seat seems less bulky and easier to transfer child in and out of.
-harness is easier to adjust and fit seems more snug (note on the Britax, fit is FINE, but we can't get any tighter so ideally it could be a hair better.
-shoulder pads stay in place better
-easier for child to see out of (keep those eyes busy!)

So, these reasons may not seem like a big deal...which is what I would have said when I was researching. I will close with saying, both are good, and I did not bother to return the Britax, BUT, if I had to go back several months and do it all over again, I would just get two of the Recaro ProRide models.

Happy researching!

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my child's life, December 23, 2013
Two days after installing this seat, I was in a head on collision with my five month old in the back seat. Immediately after the crash I lunged into the back seat to check on him and he was sitting there smiling from ear to ear still holding on to his stuffed animal. He had no idea anything had happened. We both we to the ER and he was immediately released with no injuries. I was sore for a while, but my son was safe and snug and never effected by the entire ordeal. I ordered a new seat (the exact same one) again two hours after our crash to replace the one in the wreck. I would give this seat a million stars if I could. Safe safe safe!!! And super comfortable. My son loves it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great seat from Britax, August 1, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Since 2001 I've been hooked on Britax car seats. The quality and ease of use of their seats puts them above their competition. When I was presented with the opportunity to review the Britax Marathon 70-G3 I jumped at the chance to see how it differed from the Marathon 70.

We own a Britax Marathon 70 so I decided to put it next to the Marathon 70-G3 for a side by side comparison. For the most part the seats are practically identical with a few small differences. The harness adjustor strap's release mechanism is the same, and I still find it awkward when compared to the Marathon and Roundabout 55 classic seats. Instead of pressing down, you need to press up. After nearly 11 years of dealing with seats that have easier releases, I still find this to be awkward. Harness height adjustment on this seat is a snap compared to the seats where you need to rethread the harness. You simply have to squeeze and pull (or push) to adjust the height of the harness straps. The ease of use for this function is on par with the simple adjustment of the back on a Graco TurboBooster. Parents who travel frequently and find themselves lugging their child seat through airports will appreciate the added touch of an area to clip the versa tether strap to be used as a carry handle.

The difference between the Marathon 70 and 70-G3 lies in the versa tether and the harness buckle. The versa tether on the new Marathon 70-G3 is energy absorbing and works to reduce forward movement and rotation in a crash. The seat also has the EZ-Buckle System which keeps the harness buckle in a forward position and keeps your child from sitting on the buckle. I can tell you that this feature is quite nice. I have been using a Roundabout 55 Classic with our nine month old and I can't tell you how often she ends up sitting on the buckle and freaking out while I try to pull it out from under her. The new design really works nicely to keep the buckle out of the way when loading the baby into the seat. The design reminds me of the harness buckle on our B-Agile stroller.

Installation of this seat was a snap. I installed it both rear and forward facing in my Toyota Sienna and it was easily and securely installed in both positions. Because the seat is so large, it is possible that this seat may not fit well in smaller cars when used in the rear facing position.

Overall, this is a great quality seat that will keep your little one safe, comfortable and secure for many years. In the nearly eleven years that I've been using Britax seats, I have found each of them to be worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Car Seat that fits great in my car!, August 6, 2012
This car seat makes the other two I have seem like crap. I was given a Safety First Alpha and Omega, it's ok but it's hard to install correct and currently it is slanting to the left, I have to figure that out. I also bought a cheaper $40 Cosco Scenera from Walmart as a back-up car seat to go to my mom's. It is hard to get tight and it moves a lot front to back.

I had looked for a car seat for a couple weeks. I read review after review. Anytime one had a negative review I debated whether I should get that car seat or not. I started getting a bit paranoid about getting the perfect car seat for my daughter. I mean she is my most precious cargo.

First off, SIZE: my HUGE concern when getting a convertible seat was that it would fit in my Mazda 3 rear-facing. Many reviews of car seats I was interested in mentioned how huge they were and how difficult to fit in a smaller car. Some reviews mentioned how well this (Britax) fit in cars so I decided to give this one a try (because it also had great reviews based on safety and comfort etc...)It fits beautifully. If you install it directly behind a seat you'll probably have to move the seat up just a bit, but not bad. I like to put the seat in the middle though because that is the safest place. It fits perfectly. I can move the front seats back as much as I like. This was a huge selling point for me, and I know that when I was reading reviews it was something I was specifically looking for. I want to keep my daughter rear-racing as long as I can, so I needed it to fit nicely. I also love that this seat has a higher rear-facing weight limit of 40 lbs.

INSTALLATION: It took me a little bit at first but that was only because I was reading the manual carefully and familiarizing myself with the parts of the seat and the parts in my car. It was actually quite easy though. And now I could do it pretty fast for the second time. I used the LATCH system and it was pretty straightforward. But with every other car seat I have had I have used the seat belt. That way didn't look bad either. What I really liked about installing it with the seat beat route is that it has a locking mechanism under the car seat fabric that actually will hold the seat belt in place. You won't have to use those metal locking clips. The best part was after it was installed the car seat did not move! AT ALL! It didn't move side to side or even front to back it was solid. Another thing that I absolutely love about this seat is that I didn't have to use a stupid pool noodle to make it level. That always seemed lame to me that so many car seats are level on the floor, but most vehicles seats are slanted. Adding a pool noodle or rolled towel has always bugged me.

I love the material, it really feels nice and comfortable. The seat is also padded nicely. The velcro on the sides is nice because it holds the straps up so they don't get tucked under my daughters bottom. I also love how there is padded material that goes behind the buckle. This is nice because the straps won't dig into her chubby little legs.

I only have one negative thing to say, and that is more about the instruction manual. When it mentions the tersa tethering, I was a bit confused. I didn't understand based on the manual how to tether rear-facing. It was very vague. One thing, is you don't have to tether rear-facing it's optional (the manual made it sound like you had to) the other thing I thought is I needed an actual tether thing on the floor (like the one on the backs of seats). But you can tether using anything on the floor of your car that is bolted down. I used part of the track to move the front seat forward and back.

I love this seat and I would recommend it to anyone!

4.0 out of 5 stars Super Safe Seat, Onyx is Hot as Blazes, August 7, 2012
We are so happy that we bought a Britax Marathon. It is easy to install, super safe, and our long-legged kids are comfortable in it. My son (now 4) used it happily until my daughter turned 1. However, as soon as we had to move it from the center of the rear row, to one of the sides... the silver fabric of the Onyx heats up so fast, it burns my fingers to touch it. So, we keep a towel over it when not parked in the garage. In retrospect, we should have ordered a velour/cotton fabric that doesn't heat up so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE LOVE LOVE, September 20, 2012
I purchased the britax marathon 70 for my daughter when she was 8 months old. I researched for months and decided based on the fact it was rear and forward facing it was best for us. My daughter loves her seat and we will be buying another when our second dd is the same age. Yesterday our worst fear happened when my 2011 Chrysler 200 was struck almost head on by another vehicle. Hubby was ok and Natalie had only 2 scratches on either side of her neck from the straps. No bruises or anything!!! In combination with the safety of my car (which is totaled) I think the britax saved my daughter from serious injury. The first thing I did while at the hospital was get on here to order her new seat! Thank you britax!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best, April 8, 2013
I started out with BRITAX seats in 2003 when my oldest was moving into a forward facing seat. The love affair continues. Still simple to install, simple to use, quality seats, sturdy, safe and comfortable for the baby. Read the dimensions on the Britax website so you know which model fits your vehicle(s) best. I hate reading reviews where women complain how challenging it is to install this seat. It's not. It's a LATCH system. Seriously? Clip it in. Pull the straps tight. Done. I installed this seat, rear facing, behind my driver's seat in my VW Passat by myself in the time it took my husband to take a pee break from XBOX. It fits perfectly. It's been the same story with all of their seats that we've owned. If you want a seat that is built to last and keep your baby safe then this is a contender. If the dimensions will work with your car then go for it. As always Amazon was awesome and shipping was fast.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not TOO BIG!, January 30, 2013
I am not a reviewer, and to be honest this is my first on Amazon. But given all the reviews for this carseat that I read, I wanted to add a few notes. The reviews really worried me that this carseat wouid be TOO BIG for my car, to the point I almost passed up buying it. I drive a 4-door Mercedes C230, which is a small sedan. We had a Peg Perego facing backwards initially and always had to move the front seat up. I was completely sold though on the safety ratings for this carseat and the long-term investment that my child can grow in this seat. I reviewed and researched many others, but kept coming back to this one. I had my husband take the carseat measurements out to our car and measure our back seat and the position of the front seat. He said it would probably be tight. Then we drove up to BabiesRUs to take one out of the box and see how big it is. It definitely looked pretty big when we set it on the floor. But my husband thought we would be able to make it work. So I ordered it on Amazon with the cow print and of course got it in no time flat - 2-day, no tax and free shipping. We actually didn't notice it had been delivered until the next morning before we left for work. My husband brought the box in and then left for the office. I couldn't wait! I took it out of the box, unwrapped it, and the first thing I fell in love with was the cow print! It is absolutely adorable! Such a cute print and a super soft fabric, almost silky. The primary base color is white so I'm assuming it won't get too hot in the sun (to be determined). The padding is wonderfully soft and thick and covers the whole seat along with the padded hip/back inserts that can be removed later when your child grows. Then I checked out the straps to make sure I could figure out how they loosen and tighten. So intuitive! You can adjust from the front by simply lifting the latch up and pulling the straps forward or pulling the tail end down. The top has a handle latch to raise and lower the back so that the shoulder straps can be adjusted properly based on the height of your child. Then I carried it out to my car for the big test - will it be TOO BIG. It was no heavier than our Peg Perego carrier. It actually felt light, but maybe I was just expecting it to be heavy. The carseat slid right in to the back seat (forward facing). No tilting or angling. Just slid right in. I clipped it into the latches on the sides and over the head rest and cinched it tight. No problems at all. Then stepped back and looked at the fit. It still had maybe 2" of room between the end of the carseat base and the edge of the seat. The back was as tall as the bottom of the headrest (and I had adjusted it up a couple notches). It looked so much roomier than the Peg Perego carrier! The final test was to put my daughter in it and see how she responded. I strapped her in, and as we drove 5 blocks to school, she was so excited about it - cooing and smiling and rubbing the fabric. She kept looking at me with this huge smile. I kind of wish they made a seat this soft and comfortable for the driver! So, my recommendation for all of you who love this seat for good reason but are afraid it might be TOO BIG, try it first! It might just be the perfect fit, and I hope you found this review helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Serious Carseat!, August 15, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We just switched our eleven month-old over from her Chicco KeyFit 30 Infant Carrier/Car Seat to the Britax Marathon 70-G3 Convertible Car Seat, in the reverse-facing position over the weekend. Wow- this is one serious carseat!

Since we only just now switched, I can't comment on this carseat as far as features for little-little babies goes. Looking at it, with all its removable padding to adapt for a tiny baby, it seems like if you don't want to go the route of an infant carrier that snaps into a carseat base, this'd be good for you... but it's just so convenient, when they're small enough to not make your arm fall off, carrying them in an infant carrier, that I'd say hold off on the Convertible until Baby's so big that when you're trucking him or her around in the carrier, you feel as though your carrying arm is getting stretched down to the floor.

Now, as for how this car seat works for a 17-pound eleven-month-old, I think we're going to be really happy with this carseat for the foreseeable future. There's enough structure and padding to secure her in this carseat, and on the buckle part, there's even a padded insert that goes around the buckle mechanism to prevent hot metal touching her skin, or getting those chubby little thighs pinched in the buckle when hooking her in to take her somewhere. Because this carseat looks as though it'd be a bear to get apart to clean up in the event of a Massive Diaper Blow-Out, however, I've added the protection and peace of mind of a Kiddopotamus 'Piddle Pad' in the seat of this carseat. It doesn't seem to interfere with the operation of the harness or buckles or anything. And trust me. It adds a lot of peace of mind when she's in the carseat and may or may not be fully loaded.

Another feature that I really love about this carseat is that the harness is easily adjustable by pulling up on a handle at the back of the carseat. There's no unbuckling, unthreading, threading straps back through the pads, testing, finding out that adjustment wasn't quite right, repeating the whole process until the right height is achieved. No. You can adjust the straps while the baby's right in the seat! Everybody is happier this way! Also, you can get an accessory cup holder to snap into the carseat. Right now, we use a Dropper Stopper to keep our darling from throwing her sippy cups at us while we're driving, but I did get a cupholder to snap in one of these days. I see where it snaps in, and I think it's going to be an easy customization for this car seat. I like that feature!

This car seat looks HUGE, and even more huge than that in the rear-facing position. We installed this seat in our 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, smack in the middle of the back seat. I'm short, so I had no qualms about my seat being comfortable when I drive, but my husband had his doubts that he'd be able to sit as far from the steering wheel as he likes, with his seat at the comfortable angle in back for him. Honestly, I had my doubts about that for him, as well. This car seat's back is contoured to allow for front seat recline (within reason), so we both breathed a sigh of relief.

There are a couple things I don't like about the Britax Marathon 70-G3, but they're nothing that would make me take away a whole star or anything. The first thing is that this car seat is HUGE. But all car seats are HUGE. It's in the interest of safety, and if it means we truck around with a ginormous rear-facing carseat for a little while, until our daughter can ride front-facing, then so be it. It is what it is. The bigger thing with me was that I was utterly stymied as to how to install this carseat in my Jeep, despite the detailed (and kind of large) instruction book. I was literally in tears and crying for the simplicity of just strapping in the Chicco base, and snapping the infant carrier into it. There are all kinds of straps and buckles and such on this Britax seat, and my husband ended up installing it for me. It didn't take him overly long to do it, so I wonder if my patience was just on notice because it's kind of a big deal to switch from infant carrier to Serious Car Seat like this- means Baby's growing up! And it was just a year ago that I was staring at the infant carrier and base and wondering how I'd ever figure out how to use it on a day-to-day basis, let alone get it out of my car and installed into someone else's, if we ended up taking a ride in someone else's vehicle. And it didn't take too long for all of that to be a snap.

So overall, I'm pleased with this car seat. My favorite thing is that this ought to be good for the long-term, and that I won't need to get used to a whole new car seat any time soon. My daughter appears to be comfortable in it, and I know she's safe. I give it five stars and two thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars In a serious accident and 2 year old was SAFE!, May 22, 2013
I couldn't be happier with this car seat after being in an accident. We were hit on the passenger side due to another driver failing to stop at a red light and then that impact spun us into another car where we were hit on the driver's side. My son was not injured. He had some bruising where the chest restraints were and that was it and I credit that to this wonderful car seat. The EMS workers told me several times what a safe seat this was and that it kept my 2 year old from being seriously hurt. There was no question when replacing his car seat that I bought another Britax Marathon!!!!

Britax Marathon 70-G3 Convertible Car Seat, Onyx