5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money!!!
Published on December 16, 2011 by JT

3.0 out of 5 stars Awesome carseat design, but very toxic!
Published on June 22, 2012 by L. Lawrence

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money!!!, December 16, 2011
This thing is the rolls royce of carseats. I seriously regret not getting a Britax for my first child. I thought "How can it be so much better?" In every way its better! It is thick, substantial padding, awesome convenient features. I have a giant 21 lb. 6 month old baby. I searched for a rear-facing car seat with a good recline and I got it. He reclines very comfortably in this. The latch and tether on this are very solid. It also has a feature that makes changing the harness height literally a snap. It takes a second and it is secure. I will never go back to less expensive brands. I have a reputation for being frugal and this is something that is worth the price!

4.0 out of 5 stars No Leg Space for Rear Facing Position!!! UPDATE: Britax still safest seat out there, June 3, 2012
Ed Mind "Read, Learn, Share" (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
We bought this car seat because our baby outgrew his infant car seat. We installed it rear-facing and placed our baby in it and was absolutely shocked by how little leg space there is. My 17 month old baby is in the 60th percentile for length/height, so he is not too tall and his legs are no unusual length, but his knees have to bend at least 45 degrees because they hit the seat of our car and his legs look very uncomfortably scrunched up when we place him in the seat. There is no way we can have him ride in this car seat like that! I guess that all the positive reviews is for the safety aspect of the seat, or the front-facing use, or maybe some paid reviewers, because I cannot imagine any child being comfortable in this seat rear-facing unless they are still very small or have REALLY short legs. This seat would probably be fine forward facing, since it is room in the seat part and well cushioned but PLEASE test out the chair in your car with your child in it before buying. We tested the seat at the store to make sure it fit in our car, but we didn't think of testing the child in it too, big mistake! We are returning this seat ASAP.

NOTE: I just read that the Britax Marathon 70 was rated #1 in having the most toxic chemicals, so consider this before buying.

UPDATE: Upon further research, I've found that most convertible carseats in the rear-facing position offer little leg space for toddlers and that it is "normal" for kids' legs to bend or rest on top of the back of the seat in which the carseat is on. Rear-facing is still safest for kids under 40 lbs. However, some carseats do offer more leg space than others. We are continuing or search for the right one....

UPDATE: After hours upon hours of more research, reading a ton of reviews and accident annecdotes from parents,and even subscribing to Consumer Reports to gather info., we've decided to buy the Britax Advocate 70. Britax continues to outrank all other carseats in safety (usually the Britax Boulevard 70 and Britax Advocate 70 had best reviews by consumers and various "specialists" with the Marathon 70 coming in a close second). In regards to the toxicity levels, it depends on the color, with onyx being the highest. We chose the opus grey, which had a "medium" rating in toxicity level, which was the lowest level for Britax carseats. The chemicals are used to protect against fire. Other carseats are ranked as less toxic, but none are as safe in crashes as Britax. To further comment on the lack of leg space with the seat rear-facing (found out lots of parents are concerned about this too), various sources say that despite the lack of leg space and its seemingly awkwardness, there is still a 75% HIGHER risk of serious injuries including leg injuries in the FORWARD facing position.

I changed my previous 2 star rating to 4 stars based on the updated info.

Whew! So much info out there, hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits fine RF in small car, December 13, 2011
I just had this car seat installed RF in my VW GTI and it fits perfectly fine with room for someone to sit in the front seat. I had looked all over the internet for this info but could not find it so I was concerned I would have to return the seat for lack of space. Pleasantly surprised I didn't have to!. Also, I had it professionally installed but I was there as it was done and it looked like a breeze (RF with the latch system).

5.0 out of 5 stars Research before you judge, January 16, 2012
I seen there were 2 One Star reviews. I also went into research mode.
According to the HealthStuff.com site, YES, this car seat is considered HIGH on the Toxicity Chart.

And no, I'm not concerned.
[...]

It states that there is a large measure of Bromine in the clips on this safety seat.
I looked up what that is used for, and why it's such a big deal.
You know what I found? Bromine is used as a Flame Retardant. You see the importance?

Think about being in an accident, the car in raging hot with flames. You are scared for your child's life, not sure if you can get him/her out quickly.
Then you take into consideration, there is Bromine on the clips so they DON'T MELT in the extreme heat.
Therefor, you un-clip and free your child easily and are away from the vehicle in an instant!

See what I did there? I don't wish that on ANYONE... But doesn't it make sense?
Besides, how many of you see your children chewing on something and getting poisoned by something that's resistant to extreme heat like fire?

This is a worth while seat for the price, and ease of mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars One and only carseat that my kids will ever travel in!!!, November 16, 2011
First of all, watch the video. That should be the main reason why you buy this seat. My husband was very hesitant on spending over 200 dollars on a car seat but once we looked at them in the store and did our research this was the best we could get for our family so we made the purchase. I ordered the seat late Sunday night and it was at my door Weds. morning.....almost unbelievable (I live in NC). It came in the Britax box and was ready to be put in the car once I adjusted everything to my 11 month olds comfort. It is so well made and the latches were another selling point for us. Unlike the Graco and other brands all you do is press a button and pop it on the latch, no pinching and doing crazy wrist movements, pinching fingers, getting AGRAVATED anymore for us!!!! We bought the cow print and couldn't be happier with it (we have two girls but are planning on adding two more children to the family). If you are looking for a car seat that meets your safety needs to a T, A+++++ this car seat is for you. It is one of the bulkier car seats but my children's safety is #1 to me. I know it is an investment and we look forward to many years with our Britax!!! We are awaiting the arrival of the Parkway Britax for our older daughter, we are so excited!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT CAR SEAT, November 27, 2011
This review is from: Britax Marathon 70 Convertible Car Seat, Chili Pepper (Baby Product)
I read reviews and did my research on just about every convertible Car seat on the market and I was always led back to the Marathon 70. When it arrived and we took it out of the box the color poped, very pretty red. My husband installed it and gave the installation score of a 4 out of 5. Our son doesn't mind getting in his new Carseat and I find it so easy to get him buckled in. There are Velcro patches on the inside of the seat so you can attached the straps, the Velcro prevents your baby from sitting on the straps and you having to dig them out. When we first got the Carseat our son was 10 months 23 lbs and 30" long (he's 11 1/2 months now) and he fits in the 2nd row middle seat (rear facing) like a pea in a pod, just right. We have a Lexus GX 470 (SUV) and a 2011 Hondai Sonata Hybrid the Carseat fits in both cars. We bought one for mommy's car (SUV) and one for Daddy's car.
*****We were side swiped in the Lexus SUV and our son didn't even flinch!
Hope my review helps you in your Carseat purchase.
Amber B. & The Deron's
XOXO

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT CAR SEAT!!!, February 26, 2012
We LOVE this car seat!My daughter is VERY comfortable in it(33 lbs)It is installed with the latches and is very secure,doesn't even budge when trying to move it around.It is a little more difficult to install than older models(took me about 15 minutes to make sure all straps were tight,etc) but is worth the time and effort.
I noticed a few upgrades vs older models,smaller things that really make a difference.
1.The slide up and down harness adjustments,TOTALLY AWESOME!
2.The little elastic on the belly pad,TOTALLY AWESOME!(the one on our older roundabout fell off constantly and finally got lost.
3.The strap tension tightener is under the cover and in a way that the child can't loosen it and become unsafe.
4.the belt holder for seat belt in the vehicle is kind of odd,couldn't figure it out.
The cover is very nice in azalea,it is more purple tone in person than in the photos online(which I preferred),the insert is an extra added cushion behind the child and my daughter is slightly reclined in the normal position that when she's asleep she looks very cozy.

I have it installed in a 02 ford wind star behind the driver's seat in a bench seat,It fits very well.I am using the latch system and had to remove the headrest.

4.0 out of 5 stars Should have gone with this one from the begining, December 27, 2011
Kate (Denver, CO) - See all my reviews
This is a great car seat. It fits well in my Honda CRV and has a nice, compact design that leaves plenty of room in the back seat. It was pretty easy to install, and I appreciate the added safety features.

As some noted, the crotch strap is a bit short and I am concerned it may present an issue in the future as my son gets older. I also wonder if the narrowness of the car seat, which is currently an asset, will be TOO narrow for my son's shoulders. Time will tell.

In all, I wish I'd shelled out the extra money and gone with this one first. I initially purchased the First Years convertible car seat, but the straps on that one were impossible to use. The Britax Marathon is the right size, has great safety features and is easy to use. I definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Car Seat, December 10, 2011
I recently ordered 2 Britax Marathon 70 car seats for my twin 14mo olds. The 2 units arrived a couple of days earlier than the expected delievey date. The cost on Amazon was much cheaper than Toys R Us. After I took them out of the box all I had to do was a few, very minor adjustments to the straps and snapped them into my 2008 Dodge Caravan (middle bucket seats)foward facing. Done. They fit great. It was so easy. Prior to these car seats I owned 2 Peg Perego SIP 30/30 (Which were also great seats) but my kids had out grown them. The Britax seats were much easier to setup and install into the van than the Peg Perego seats. We took a test drive with the new seats and my twins fell asleep in them within 20 min. They really enjoyed them. Lots of padding and comfort. Open style so the kids can look outside the van windows, something I feel they really enjoyed. Overall I am very pleased with my purchace. Well worth the money

3.0 out of 5 stars Awesome carseat design, but very toxic!, June 22, 2012
Britax carseats are very toxic. They have some of the highest levels of fire retardants, lead, bpa, etc. I learned about this after using it for some time. If you buy one, wash the entire cover with warm water and vinegar. Also, buy a few months before use and leave in the garage to off gas. It is pretty pathetic that we have to take it upon ourselves to minimize cancer causing toxins in our children's products. How do these companies even sleep at night and why are these horrible chemicals even legal??? So frustrating!!