4.0 out of 5 stars Good for what it is
The early reviews of this album are a bit harsh IMO. First off, its true that the lead vocals are not that strong but they are not exactly garbage either. I mean, the leader singer definitely has his shortcomings and I cant imagine him producing a strong live performance but at least on the album its ok. If you expected a Bruce Dicksinson like singer here then you will...
Published 22 months ago by pharcyder

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing effort from one of metal's greats
Anyone who is as big of a Maiden fan as I am would naturally be excited upon hearing that Steve Harris is releasing a solo album. However, before listening to a single note and researching how it all came to be, it becomes immediately clear that Steve Harris has a very different definition of 'solo album' than, well, anybody else.

Steve has spoken of the...
Published 22 months ago by Dead June Bug

4.0 out of 5 stars very enjoyable and the bonus content is very cool!, November 20, 2012
Firstly ,

Unlike almost all the other reviewers I like the vocals. One thing that I personally tire of is the macho grunting and growling lead singer thumping his chest on top of a throbbing metal band... to me its overkill and nothing of the brilliant light and shadow that I enjoy. This singer isn't competing with the band and it allows me to enjoy the music without being screamed at!!

The CDs enhanced feature is a couple of variables in downloading to (in my case) iTunes.... a higher quality download and another version with 2dBs louder. This is a very cool and interesting option that will become far more standard soon...

Bravo to Steve Harris for not duplicating Maiden with another Bruce belting away... again its a matter of taste but I wanted to vote yes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, October 15, 2012
Before I bought this album ..I was not expecting Iron Maiden type sound
BUT I definitely not expecting this either..
It came across really weak...
The vocal let me down and the music was really predictable...
I LOVE when bands and////or members of bands experiment with different genres..
Yet to me this is all too safe and no guts or glory (((Cotton Wool))) Type music
I really gave it a good go I had it in my car stereo for a good 2 weeks...I just could not get into it
without cringing ... Luckily I was able to swap the CD with a mate..
Sorry but it was just plain disappointing....
I love maiden and to give you an example of band members doing different projects outside their bands...
Would be Serj Tankian I LOVE all his solo stuff nothing like SOAD but its still beautiful and honest..
British Lion might be honest but not beautiful....

3.0 out of 5 stars Safe,good,poppy,not far enough from Maiden, October 6, 2012
This review is from: British Lion (Audio CD)
Whats good about this that for the first 3 or 4 songs give you an impression that this cd will be different than any Maiden .Kinda grungy for Steve but good stuff. Then it goes into a Maiden groove till the last cut. Production? Bass is pretty loud (duh)its Steve Harris.I've never liked Kevin Shirley vocals on most of his cd's anyways (why do all singers on Shirley cd's sound like they're singing in phone booth?)this is no exception.Crappy production is just to make it sound current and edgy. One guitar player looks and acts like Janick (from the video)over all I do like it. Material is good enough and didn't have to enter a huge Maiden groove.C'mon Steve use a different bass , tie your hair back , do something different.There are a few different bass sounds and effects you wont hear in I.M which are cool.Funny, this makes me want to listen to "Psycho Motel" & Bruce solo stuff. Material that sounds NOTHING like Maiden.If you like this and haven't picked up a Psycho Motel cd? Get one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bass God Takes a Left Turn - and it's a good one., September 28, 2012
This review is from: British Lion (Audio CD)
Ok, so I'm not an Iron Maiden "super fan." I've never worn any of their t-shirts, and I haven't seen them live (not by choice - the one time they came to town I just couldn't make it.) I only own a couple of their albums right now, but I've heard a good share. In spite of all that, I'm a big fan, and I have HUGE respect for them, as any self-respecting metalhead should.

Now, maybe I'm biased because I'm a bass player myself, but I like this album a lot. If you were to give it a label, I'd say it's "progg-ish, melodic modern rock."

The bass is louder in the mix than on your average rock record. We're used to hearing the clang of Steve's bass on Maiden, but this material is very different. So it's a bit odd to have the bass so loud, but I don't think it kills it. Again, maybe I'm biased.

And the singer is clearly not the most powerful one you'll hear, but his tone and delivery fit the tamer, more brooding type of rock that this album is exploring.

I think that the fact that Steve can write in a different style, and assemble a different type of band and make it sound good is a testament to his talent, even if you don't particularly like the style. At least he's not a one trick pony.

Steve, you're the man, a legend. Thanks for all the music, including this. \m/

2.0 out of 5 stars I wasn't expecting Iron Maiden, but I also wasn't expecting this either..., September 26, 2012
This review is from: British Lion (Audio CD)
I went into this with an open mind. I wasn't expecting, or wanting, it to sound like Iron Maiden. I was expecting something that would delve more into Steve's interest in progressive rock and other forms of hard rock / metal. But this is somewhere between awful and generic. It starts off with the muddled mess called "This Is My God". I've heard demos from 10th generation cassettes that have better dynamics than this. How this got past a competent producer is beyond me. The production values pick up as the album moves along, but still range from muddy to thin and lifeless. Did Kevin Shirley have a severe head cold while working on this? Abysmal performance.

The music itself is pretty generic. Nothing really stands out or comes across as memorable. I have literally 5,000 recordings in my collection, and I can only think of a few that are this bland. Some of the songs sound like bad 90's "Bad Company" songs, a bit ballady, happy, and ultimately forgettable. Take the worse song IM ever recorded with Blaze Bailey and you'd have the standout track on this album. Seriously.

And speaking of Blaze, the vocalist on this album would make him a bonafide vocal god! I've never really written anything this cruel before, but the vocalist on this album is absolutely dreadful. No dynamics, virtually no range, and worse than my tone deaf self could do. Maybe given Steve's history with this group he felt a need to keep the singer, but loyalty isn't always the best choice. Given a different, marginally competent singer, and maybe you could elevate this album to average.

Unfortunately, as much as I would like to love this album, it's just plain bad. Once again, I'm not looking for Iron Maiden, and would prefer it not to sound like that if it is a solo album. But this is one of the few times I've regretted making a purchase. I feel awful for saying that, but it's the truth. Listen to the clips before purchasing and save yourself some money and time spent listening to something better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh boy?, December 17, 2012
This review is from: British Lion (Audio CD)
This is tough. I really wish this was never released. I really tried to like this but after about 5 lisitenings I hust can't do it. The singers voice to me just doesn't work. I found it not very creative and very limited. A positive thing is....a cool cover?

2.0 out of 5 stars britsh lion/ steve harris solo, December 5, 2012
This review is from: British Lion (Audio CD)
disappointing / steves the greatest bass player i hope this cd dont ruin his reputation it aint got no choppy bass lines

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for a side project, September 27, 2012
brjoro "brir" (Bethesda, MD United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: British Lion (Audio CD)
First off, I agree with the most common complaints here, that 1) the production is rather weak, and 2) the singer is pretty poor. But even given that, this is a decent collection of songs that, to my ears, mostly pay tribute to Harris' roots in Uriah Heep/UFO British hard rock of the early/mid 1970s. To be fair, I wouldn't have given this more than one listen if it weren't Steve Harris, but since it is him, and I did, I would say if you are a Maiden or Harris fan, and go in with realistic expectations, you'll find a decent album with some good hard rock songs on it. It's NOT great, and hopefully if Harris continues to do music outside of Maiden he'll go in different direction next time. It's basically a tribute to his earliest influences. Take that for what it's worth!

2.0 out of 5 stars I blame the singer, April 24, 2014
This review is from: British Lion (Audio CD)
I'll keep this simple. If not for the singer this would be a pretty damn good album. I like the music a lot. It has a good mellow 70s type of rock/metal vibe to it which shows Steve's influences. The singer though, his voice is thin and really doesn't seem to fit any of the music except for the clean slower acoustic track at the end in which the singer actually fits very well. The singer just lacks the power in his voice needed here. He's not a bad singer at all, but he just doesn't fit this music very well as far as I'm concerned. Other than that, I think the production was pretty solid, but a sub-par singer will ruin anything no matter how good the music. Good thing for me I picked this up used for $2.

2.0 out of 5 stars Save your money for a different album, November 11, 2013
Doppelbock (Oceanside, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: British Lion (MP3 Music)
I probably had my expectations set unrealistically high by seeing Steve Harris' name on the record. The songs were just okay and I really wasn't impressed by the vocals nor the bass work on this. I'd rather get an obscure Iron Maiden record with Steve's awesome bass playing.

British Lion
British Lion by Steve Harris (Audio CD - 2012)
Rate and Discover Movies