British edition on the Kindle?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 27, 2012 5:07:21 PM PDT
Daniel says:
When we first started reading Harry Potter, we were in Japan. Not until we returned to the US did we realize we had a "different version." We prefer the British version, will that be available on the Kindle?

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 5:12:15 PM PDT
Danielle says:
It is. If you go to the pottermore website, you get to choose.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 5:43:23 PM PDT
J. Reese says:
I tried to purchase the British version, but I could not...said they were not available in my country.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 6:59:40 PM PDT
R. pierce says:
I was reading some posts this afternoon, and I had the impression that you could not purchase the British version if you lived in the US. I didn't even realize there was a British version. I checked out the Harry Potter Lexicon, and they have a quite a list of the differences. I already own all 7 books in hardback and they look nice on my shelf. I doubt I would purchase these for my Kindle unless I could get the British version. Why even bother?

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 7:07:31 PM PDT
Midnight763 says:
I want the English version too not the American translation. The first couple of books were terribly altered by a extreme translation. But by the latter books they left quite a lot of the British words alone. We have the Americanized translation in paper back so we don't see the point of buying the same thing on Kindle.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 7:23:58 PM PDT
Danielle says:
If I have a friend from Ireland send me the books as a gift, can I get the british version?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 8:55:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2012 8:58:49 PM PDT
Daniel says:
Yes, of course. I don't know where outside of the USA that the American version is available, but even if you order Harry Potter books from the Canadian Amazon website -- Amazon.ca -- you'll get the British version.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 10:06:39 PM PDT
MsLadyLib says:
The American versions of the earlier books insult the intelligence of American readers. The damned stone is a philosopher's stone not a sorcerer's stone, for starters.

Instead of messing with the text, Scholastic could just have added a few notes.

I will only buy digital copies if I can get the British versions.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 10:13:15 PM PDT
I ordered the British book version from Amazon.co.uk site without any issues. I order quite a bit of stuff from there and so far the experience has been quite good. Just remember to check out the shipping costs for whatever item you are purchasing so you don't get an unpleasant surprise.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 11:21:23 PM PDT
Kaoru says:
I just checked out the Harry Potter Lexicon. Wow... Scholastic practically rewrote the books! Do they think we are that stupid??? And, what an insult to JK Rowling as well to have done this. All they had to do is put in a glossary in the back of each book. And, they should have never ever re-written entire passages like they did. That's like saying her writing wasn't exciting or good enough for American readers. That's REALLY insulting to BOTH the author and the American reader!!! I can't believe she went along with that. Heck, we don't speak different languages! There was no need for a "translation" for the American edition. If I was her, I'd have said take my work in its original form or don't ask to get it published there. Readers don't like to be insulted and treated as if they are too stupid to understand regional or country dialect differences. A glossary would have worked fine.

Somebody ought to start an online petition to force Scholastic to publish in both book and ebook formats, the original British versions that include a glossary and even notes if necessary that explain certain dialect differences. I'd sign it. Also, if the fact that there are major differences between the two versions was made mainstream knowledge and made the news, maybe that would embarrass them into re-publishing the books in their original form. How this could be done, I don't know, but I'd love to see them learn to respect their readers and not treat us as if we are too stupid to understand a British version of any book that gets published here in the US.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 1:28:31 AM PDT
Glad to hear it - three cheers for the British English versions

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 5:55:23 AM PDT
Jerri says:
Based on a reply I got from Pottermore, copyright issues limit where you can get the UK and US versions.

If your email address/account is known by Pottermore/Amazon to be in the US you can't buy the UK electronic versions, (or recieve them as gifts).

This is true of a lot of electronic eBooks and audiobooks. There are a LOT of things I would like to buy offered by Amazon UK and/or Audible UK but I can't buy them since I live in the US.

If I order paper copies or CD audiobooks of things available in the UK but not in the US I can have them mailed to me. But I can't legally get the electronic versions sent through the internet.

STUPID copyright laws that don't take the new internet world into account.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 6:18:33 AM PDT
W. Taylor says:
yeah i just went to the uk website and on the kindle versions it has this lovely note 'This title is available to UK customers only.'
the book is by the real author, so how is that a copyright infringement? stupid govt preventing our enjoyment

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 6:55:18 AM PDT
MsLadyLib says:
On ordering from the UK site: works a wonder for printed books. Apparently, digital information falls into some other nasty category. I've purchased items that didn't seem to be available on any American market, too.

The shipping costs are not necessarily a deterrent. A lot cheaper than flying to Heathrow.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 6:57:35 AM PDT
MsLadyLib says:
Kaoru:
It's quite likely that the deal was acceptable to Rowling. I wouldn't exactly feel sorry for her. If she wanted her original sold here, she could have held out. Follow the $$. The United States is an immense market.

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 11:40:42 AM PDT
Katie says:
Is there a way to make a new email account for the UK Amazon site so Pottermore might sell the British versions to me?

I held out on buying the UK versions because I was sure I'd be able to as soon as Pottermore Store opened... :/

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 11:52:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 29, 2012 11:42:03 AM PDT
L. Housley says:
Here's how to get the UK versions of the books:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdMsgNo=64&cdPage=3&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxQGAUDREC149G&cdMsgID=Mx1SED20XFL2DNU#Mx1SED20XFL2DNU

more info:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdMsgNo=158&cdPage=7&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxQGAUDREC149G&cdMsgID=Mx1MFZMR81XWT9R#Mx1MFZMR81XWT9R
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Mar 27, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) by J. K. Rowling (Hardcover - August 1, 2007)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (9,747)