British version of Harry Potter books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 18, 2007 6:25:52 PM PDT
Pics says:
I am interested in buying all of the Harry Potter books (which I already have from the US) but from the British version. I understand there are minor changes in cover pictures or wording.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2007 5:34:10 PM PDT
You need to google for a British bookstore. They'll take care of it. I bought them from Britain for my daughter.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2007 8:51:04 PM PDT
Jon E. says:
I too am interested in buying the british versions
here is the link
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harry-Potter-Boxed-Childrens-Contains/dp/0747593698/ref=pd_bbs_12/203-7073628-7113524?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187388316&sr=8-12

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2007 9:17:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 20, 2007 9:18:47 AM PDT
There are minor differences: the covers are all different; the title of the first book is different for the British version (The Philosopher's Stone vs. The Sorcerer's Stone); there are also many, many minor wording differences between the two editions (a lot of the British terms and phrases are replaced with American equivalents). Here's a website that will go over all of the major (and minor) differences between the two editions for you: http://www.hp-lexicon.org/about/books/differences.html

If you're really interested in buying the British editions, the easiest way is to buy from a Canadian store or dealer. Canada sells only the British version, and it's closer to the US and easier and cheaper to ship from Canada than from the UK. I myself read the British editions (my wife is Canadian and buys the Canadian books), and loved the British phrasings, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2007 3:08:45 PM PDT
obsidianic says:
Thanks for the HP Lexicon link. Didn't know that page was there :-).

Interesting to note:
"Rowling is actively editing her books to fix errors and to adjust the story to fit the larger saga. As new editions of the books are released, these changes are incorporated into the text."

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2007 9:27:57 AM PDT
M. Lloyd says:
You can buy the British versions on amazon if you go to the bottom of the amazon page and click on the UK site. They have their own site just for Harry Potter books. The Box set is due to come out between 1-16 October of this year. There are two versions of the books, a children's and an adults version with different covers. From what some of my British friends tell me the adult versions are also longer with more detail after the 4th or 5th book.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2007 6:02:09 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Dec 22, 2008 4:30:39 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2007 5:40:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2007 5:51:15 AM PDT
obsidianic says:
"From what some of my British friends tell me the adult versions are also longer with more detail after the 4th or 5th book."

This is the first that I've heard that there's different content in the Adult Editions. I would ask them for specifics before believing them, such as quoted text.

edit// The Bloomsbury FAQ seems a bit out of date, but they didn't mention anything about the Adult Editions having extra text:

"The fifth book will also be published simultaneously in both an adult and children's hardback format (the adult format featuring a black and white cover)."

- http://www.bloomsbury.com/harrypotter/default.asp?sec=6 (General Queries, page two)

(Wow, there were only 500 hardcovers originally printed for the Philosopher's Stone!)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2007 5:41:29 AM PDT
L. Edwards says:
I'm Australian and have copies of both the adult and children covers and they are the EXACT same books. Same story, only difference is cover.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2011 1:17:23 PM PST
that is an awesome price! I just ordered it for my boyfriend for his bday.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2011 7:33:52 PM PST
N. Edwards says:
Do you have a special place in Canada that you both buy from

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 12:59:51 PM PST
Lynne Barnes says:
it is true

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 7:14:24 PM PST
Lance Lust says:
Why does George Lucas come to mind?

I did notice continuity errors throughout the series, so I guess it's not so bad to be going back over them with a fine tooth comb, but I just wonder if the changes will include those mistakes I noticed, or maybe the ones I saw weren't mistakes at all, just character development?

One of my biggest gripes was with the Sirius Black character from book 4 to 5. In the 4th book he tells Ron that Hermione is correct about how house elves are treated, but then he goes and treats Kreacher like a blast ended screwt.

This is off topic, but does anyone have trouble with the scroller while trying to type posts? When I get a certain length the scroll bar jumps up away from what I'm trying to type. Anyone have that problem, and anyone know how to correct that?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2014 11:50:12 PM PDT
I have all seven from England. Never been read. All first editions.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2014 3:37:53 PM PDT
Would you be willing to sell your set? I've been looking, but am in Idaho and haven't find the UK version anywhere for a decent price!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2014 3:53:50 PM PDT
Yes, I am willing. They are the English version and purchased in England. Never been read and in excellent condition. I need to figure the price.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Aug 18, 2007
Latest post:  Aug 3, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Harry Potter Hardcover Box Set (Books 1-6)
Harry Potter Hardcover Box Set (Books 1-6) by J. K. Rowling (Hardcover - October 1, 2005)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (466)