TCL L40FHDF12TA 40-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LCD HDTV with 2-Year Warranty (2011 Model)
Used & New from: $449.00
Broadcast reception problems Is anyone else having problems with over-the-air reception with this TV? I'm getting OK reception, but when I plug the antenna into a different TV (without moving the antenna) I get more channels and fewer dropouts.

Any advice?

Thanks!
asked by mot on January 11, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 answers
A
I'm having the same problems. :( Looking for a way to fix it now. Please let me know if you find anything.
Jeffrey D. Smith answered on January 11, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I moved the antenna to a different room with a long cable and added a signal amplifier, which improved the reception slightly, but it's still not nearly as good as my other TV with the same antenna.

Has anyone else had problems with reception? I'm thinking of returning this TV because of this issue.
mot answered on January 29, 2012

A
The first one I ordered wasn't picking up ANY channels, at all. I sent it back and got a second one. This one found channels in the scan. The reception worked great for about a week, and now half the channels come in with choppy reception. I just don't get it. Nothing has changed...same location, same antenna (mohu), etc. I think I may send mine back as well.
Jeffrey D. Smith answered on January 29, 2012

A
I'm sending this TV back and will be getting a replacement this week. I'll let you know if the reception on the new TV is any better than the one I have now. One thing that might help is to make your own antenna using these plans.
http://blog.makezine.com/2009/01/23/maker-workshop-dtv-antenna-steadyca/

It's easy to make, costs about $10 in parts, and gets much better reception that the other store-bought antennas that I tried.
mot answered on January 29, 2012

A
I sent my TV back, got a new replacement, that one also had poor reception, so I returned that one too and didn't get a replacement. I got a used Samsung and I'm much happier with it. With the Samsung and a pair of old rabbit ears, I get more channels and many fewer dropouts that I did with the TCL plus a $30 signal amplifier, a much better antenna, and $15 worth of cable to move the another room where the signal is better.

To sum up, 2 out of 2 of these TVs got poor over-the-air reception, so my guess is that's it's in inherent problem with this TV. I know it's a small sample size, but it's convincing enough for me.
mot answered on February 13, 2012

A
Having the same problem. My father has a 40 dollar "amazon special" converter box, and I the 40 inch TCL. He can watch channels with no break in signal while I get a blue no signal screen. Recently got worse and I can only get about 7 out of the 35 available channels. But if i reset the TV to factory settings, sometimes the initial scan will get 13 or so unwatchable channels. Adding a good tuner to the purchase price just makes me think we should have went with a more reputable company. All and all still love the TV, it is my first lcd that wasn't a monitor! I think amazon should give us a promo or something toward a good hdmi digital tuner. Its not worth the hassle of repair when that that is all that is essentially wrong with the set (mine anyways). I bought a 30 dollar tuner for my laptop that pics up about 4 times the channels off of the same antenna, direction, time, and cable type and length. There is for sure a problem with the tuning capabilities.
Manda&Chris answered on April 23, 2012

A
I think I'm going to have to send mine back...same problems. Thought it was my antenna, so I bought a new one; same problem. Tested them on a neighbors brand name tv and picked up channels. Disappointing! Oh well. at least I bought it before the price hike.
J. Martin answered on May 26, 2012
‹ Previous   1   Next ›