Broan 690 60 CFM Bathroom Fan Upgrade Kit
Color Name: WhiteChange
Price:$28.37 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 18, 2010
Color Name: WhiteVerified Purchase
Looks like an economical solution to rebuilding an existing fan of the proper type, however CHECK CAREFULLY! that it is the proper replacement. My N671 is the larger 8"x8-1/4", this is for the smaller 7-1/2"x 7-1/4".
If you have an older style fan it probably does move more air with less noise, if yours is newer it probably has little advantage there.
The price is certainly right, it is cheaper than a special ordered replacement motor for my fan. Just wish they had made one of the adapters to fit in my housing. I think I will make my own adapter since I bought the darn thing ( don't try this at home, kids - metal shop project ).
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 26, 2008
Color Name: White
I replaced 4 of my bathroom fans with this upgrade. Let's talk about the noise reduction. Yes it is true. I measured the sound level of the fan before and after using a Radio Shack sound meter. The sound was reduced by 3 decibels. Those of you who understand sound and electronics... that is equivalent to 50% noise reduction as they advertised. I could not validate the 20% increased in air flow but I trust their claim. However, I doubt it makes a lot of difference moving from 50 to 60 CFM. In the end, I did it for the sound reduction. I wanted a better fan for my 10 year old house but I did not want to rip the ceiling out. This is a good compromise. Note: check your vents to the outside both in the fan box and the outside. If they are partially blocked (e.g. painted over), it could create more noise as someone noticed. That's because more air is being forced through a partially blocked opening.
on June 21, 2012
Color Name: WhiteVerified Purchase
The original fan is rated at 4.0 SONES and 50 CFM. Using a digital sound meter placed on the counter in the bath room a reading of 65db was verified.

Installed the new fan rated at 3.0 SONES and 60 CFM. Ran the same test and verified a rating of 53db.

The new fan is 50% as loud as the old.

I hope this helps.
on April 16, 2012
Color Name: White
Original builder-installed bath fan (13 years) in the guest bathroom was just too dang loud and also not very effective in moving the air. Finally got around to attacking this problem and found this kit at the local home improvement store with orange colored logo, and decided to give it a shot before considering a fancier option such as a Panasonic.

CONCLUSION: Wish all home DIY upgrades were as simple and effective as this.

The PROs:

1. Noise reduction. Sound level went down from 70-72 to 58-60 decibels. This alone was worth the purchase price of thirty bucks.

2. Sheer Simplicity. Total job took twenty minutes, including emptying out the bathroom contents, vigorous vacuuming during and after the job, and locating the right switch in the electrical panel, reading the instructions, and measuring the sound level with sound meter before and after the replacement. When they say it is a ten minute job, it's not an exaggeration at all.

3. The new grill cover is bigger and more aesthetically pleasing than the old cover.

4. As other reviewers have mentioned, the upgrade kit components seem much better-built than the parts they replaced.

The CONs:

None. I wish the CFM rating was higher. Then again, the bathroom is sized at 60CFM, so it should prove to be the right sized fan.
on April 6, 2010
Color Name: WhiteVerified Purchase
Bathroom fans are recessed and installed BEFORE the ceiling is enclosed. So getting a dead one out and new one in can be a bit problematic, with the normal case being a lot of new drywall and repainting the ceiling.

This kit allows you to keep the old box recessed in the ceiling and just replace the working internals with new, higher quality/performance parts.

It really is a 10 minute job, including reading the instructions and finding a screwdriver, the only tool you will need if you have a Nutone fan, or no tools at all for a BROAN.

After the job is done:
1. Not magically quiet - seems as loud as the old Nutone 696 it replaced (when the old one worked).
2. Seems to move a bit more air than the old fan judging by the "feel" of the moving air at the grille.
3. The quality of the new parts seems higher overall than my original Nutone 696.
4. Well worth the money, incredibly easier than installing a new fan.

And my artist wife thinks the new plastic grille cover looks better than the old one.
on January 25, 2012
Color Name: WhiteVerified Purchase
My old fan (Nutone 696) has been in the powder room since the house was built 12 years ago. Always was noisy (vibration and hum) and not very effective, so I finally decided to replace it. While searching for a new better fan I found this upgrade kit on Amazon and decided to at least give it a try since all the reviews said it was so easy to install, and the low price.

Glad to report that I am very pleased with the results. The old fan/motor and baffle came out easily and the new one went in even easier. Total elapsed time about 15 minutes. The new unit seems better quality than the original. The motor is larger and the fan is a squirrel cage design instead of the old radial fan. This allows it to move more air quieter. It is also better balanced than the old one so the vibration is gone. The airflow is distinctly better and the noise is no longer an embarassment. The new grille is much better looking with modern rounded edges instead of the old 1970's look.

Can't speak to the reliabilty yet, but since it only runs a few minutes a day, I expect it will outlast me.

One general point of caution: be sure your fan exhaust venting is clear of obstructions such as insulation, varmints, etc. Check that the fan is actually sucking air and not blowing any back inside. You can do this by feeling around the edges of the fan intake or holding a piece of tissue up to see which way the air is moving. If any air is blowing back around the edges of the fan, then your vent has a blockage and you need to clear it out or the fan will be worthless.
on December 23, 2011
Color Name: White
Bought this as part of an overall bathroom upgrade project. This unit is definitely quieter than the original and replacing the motor beats buying a new (more expensive) unit with different dimensions necessitating cutting/patching sheetrock, crawling up into the attic, rehanging,rewiring and reconnecting ductwork. Just two things to point out: (1) Make sure your existing fan is compatible with this kit (I added a picture of list from box)and (2)test spin the impeller with your finger after installing but before plugging in the motor (I had a sheet metal screw from the outside of the chasis preventing the impeller from spinning freely - it just had to be backed out a few turns with a wrench and I got the clearance I needed).
review image review image
on October 22, 2013
Color Name: WhiteVerified Purchase
After reading some of the reviews I was concerned with the noise factor. I think that those people who complained about noise failed to install the flexible shield that came with the fan; this allows for the smooth air flow within the fan housing. The reason I know this is because when I first installed the upgrade kit I missed installing the shield and agreed with those who said it was noisy. As I began to throw away the product’s box I noticed the plastic strip and realized that I needed to add it to the fan’s housing, which I did and the noise ceased.
on May 6, 2010
Color Name: WhiteVerified Purchase
Product was advertised as easy to install, more efficient than original equipment and quieter than original equipment. Most important to me was the easy to install part, which it was, so I was happy with the purchase. Particularly if you follow the instructions. Is it more efficient and quieter than original equipment? It met my expectations as I was not really expecting it to be better because the marginal improvement advertised was probably not going to be measurable without testing equipment. I really cannot tell any difference in performance so if it lasts as long as the first fan, I will be totally happy with the purchase.
on June 22, 2009
Color Name: White
I bought this fan upgrade kit to reduce the noise from my current model 696. Hence, my rating is heavily weighted on that aspect.

First, the good news. The fan is a snap to install. It fits in the same old housing as the 696. The fan 'blades' are a different style, more professional looking, and I assume do indeed move more air.

But the sound reduction is minimal. One old 696 measured 68db whereas this new unit was 72db! Another old unit measured 73-74dbdb (at one foot distance) so even if I give this upgrade the benefit of the doubt, the sound reduction was not noticeable, backed up by sound meter results.

I had to install a 'dimmer' to get the required results. If you do this, do not use a light dimmer. One light dimmer I tried had a 100% 75%, 50%, and 25% setting buttons. Only the 100% button made the fan turn at all but it was maybe half speed. You need to get a fan control dimmer. They are more expensive and typically only offer 3 speeds. The HI setting does provide the full fan speed. The MEDIUM setting provided the reduction I was looking for: sound level dropped to 52db - quite noticeable. I do not know how much air was being moved at this speed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations