5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth the Purchase!!!! Thank you!
I purchased this book because it had a funny title and I am somewhat of a cookbook hoarder. Of course, I expected the recipes to be things that I would never let cross my table (let alone my lips), but I have found this book to be a great read and a better guide to cutting corners on the grocery bill without skimping on flavors.

I am the parent of a child under...
Published on June 2, 2012 by Michelle Hamilton

2.0 out of 5 stars Certainly not a go-to cookbook
This cookbook was really pretty terrible. Maybe it was a joke? There weren't very many (if any) actual recipes. Mostly it contains just tips on how to save money. Which I guess is the point, but I just didn't enjoy the book at all.

Published on November 5, 2012 by Heather Hauser

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth the Purchase!!!! Thank you!, June 2, 2012

I am the parent of a child under 12 with autism and a daughter who is soon to leave home. Each of them enjoyed the recipes. In fact, my daughter has been adding some of them to her personal recipe cards for future use.

*Bonus, we tried one of the meal ideas with 1/4 lb. of ground turkey and didn't really notice the lesser amount of meat. We are also starting meals with either a soup or salad. What a difference on what we actually eat of the main meal!!!!

Thanks for sharing and I hope you will share more ideas/recipes in the future.

Michelle

PS I have a full time home daycare, so child friendly meals always inspire me! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Easily make your money back on the first meal, February 14, 2013
Very different take on budget meals and I've seen a good deal of budget meal/grocery shopping advice.
A welcome new perspective!

I especially was surprised by the reasoning for serving soup every evening before meals.

2.0 out of 5 stars Certainly not a go-to cookbook, November 5, 2012
Heather Hauser (Strasburg, PA United States) - See all my reviews

One of the things I was particularly bothered by was the advice to give cooked bones, particularly ham bones, to your dog. Dogs can get pancreatitis from ham and this can kill them. Cooked bones can splinter and this can also kill them. If you must give a bone to your dog see the butcher for a fresh beef marrow bone and serve it raw.

5.0 out of 5 stars To the point, May 19, 2012
This is a short, very basic, well written cookbook. What I really like about it is the upbeat tone and the flexible recipies. Should work well for you if you are upset and need efficient advice. If you have culinary visions go elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and frugal cooking tips plus recipes, February 15, 2013
Whether you are down and out, or trying to live a more frugal lifestyle, The Broke-Ass Cookbook by Kimberly Foster, will help you save money by following and using her tips and recipes.

Foster writes about growing up in a household where her mother supported her family on a secretary's salary. Foster writes she never felt deprived as her mother practiced frugal living while keeping them well fed.

The recipes are practical and easy to prepare. They will also stretch the food budget. Some of the recipes you will find in her cookbook include:

Hot Dogs and Spaghetti
Tuna Noodle Minus the Casserole
Herb Lemon Roasted Chicken
Homemade Chicken Stock

Foster offers plenty of frugal tips too such as saving cooking water to reuse later (wish I had thought of that) or add chicken bouillon to recipes to help boost flavor.

The book is well written and there is an active table of contents making navigation easy.

Recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood memories, June 12, 2013
I loved this little book. So many of these recipes were like ones I grew up with. I noticed that while I brought some of them to my adult kitchen, more of them would really help our budget right now. Thanks for the trip down memory lane and the reminder that being broke doesn't mean food can't be good.

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful for people who are REALLY broke., October 8, 2013
This book had some helpful ideas for real people with real money problems. Some of the recipes were a little iffy, but it shows you good ways to make things spread further, esp expensive things like meat.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it., March 4, 2013
This review is from: Broke-Ass Cookbook: Cheap & Easy Meals for Hardworking, Struggling Families (Paperback)
The next day after I bought this cookbook, I went to the grocery store and bought most of the items on the shopping list. I did pick lower-sodium, lower-fat, lower-sugar, or whole wheat options when available.

I was motivated because I thought that cooking with less meat was innovative and I wanted to try it to see if I would really notice the difference.

So far I've made the Golden Mushroom Pasta, the Easy Chili Mac, and the Enchiladas. I also like the cookbook because I wanted to try new recipes and I'd never made any of these before.

I found that I really didn't miss the extra meat, which not only saves money, it saves on cholesterol. I had never tried Chili Mac (didn't even know what it was), and to me it didn't taste like chili but to my surprise it was good. I did use real butter though.

This cookbook even inspired me to make my own italian dressing, because I needed some for the chicken breasts and didn't have any in the house, lol. The enchiladas were surprisingly good and not too salty, which is an improvement over restaurants.

It is a bit too much pasta and tomato sauce to eat like this every day, but for a few times a week I think these recipes are a great option.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute and handy, July 9, 2012
The e-book is very useful, glad I heard about it and glad I got it. Makes many thrifty suggestions I may not have thought of for those broke-ass days.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new or innovative, November 5, 2012
Wyn Andrews (Lincoln, NE United States) - See all my reviews
This wasn't really a cookbook. It was more a memoir about experiencing poverty. If you're truly looking for helpful, cheap cookery, look elsewhere.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›