5.0 out of 5 stars A Valuable Recovery Read
Broken is outstanding! I am an alum of Hazelden, sober 22 years, and have worked as an adolescent chemical dependency counselor. This book is the best description of addiction, treatment, relapse and recovery that I have come across. It is well written and well documented from the author's journals and correspondence from his father.

I currently work with...
Published on October 17, 2006 by Alan Braun

2.0 out of 5 stars What's Left Unwritten
Published on January 19, 2012 by T. Bowes

5.0 out of 5 stars A Valuable Recovery Read, October 17, 2006
This review is from: Broken: My Story of Addiction and Redemption (Hardcover)

I currently work with five sober high schools in Minnesota for chemically dependent kids in recovery. I have purchased a copy for each of the schools. Last night I was at a parent meeting at one of the schools and recommended it to the parents. I was asked if it was for the parents or the students. It is for both. It could be a wonderful opportunity for students and families to open new avenues of communication and understanding.

The descriptions of the cravings, urges and triggers for relapse are graphic. My only concern is that they might be difficult for a newcomer with fragile sobriety. For all others, this book is a must read. It is particularly valuable for its depiction of spiritual growth and coming to terms with a higher power.

I have never before reviewed a book but the author's call to action made it necessary for me to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars "I want to live.", December 28, 2006
Erik Olson "Seeker Reviews" (Ridgefield, WA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Broken: My Story of Addiction and Redemption (Hardcover)
Addiction scares and fascinates me. My family's battle with alcoholism was so traumatic that I never touched booze until I was 36. This dysfunction made me want to understand how addiction strikes and recovery works, especially within a familial context. Indeed, it was a major reason I entered seminary and earned an MA in Family Ministry. After a cursory glance through "Broken: My Story of Addiction and Redemption," I knew I'd found a memoir on the subject that had meat. Finishing it only confirmed my initial impression. This is one of the most honest, well-written, and informative accounts of addiction and recovery that I've ever read.

William Cope Moyers had everything. A loving family, wealth, talent - you name it. But these advantages paled before his crippling Achilles' heel: himself. Whether it was the pressure to live up to his father's name, some childhood trauma, a nagging sense of insignificance, or a hole inside his soul, William was unable to "cope" with reality. He began using alcohol, moved on to cocaine, and finally forged a twisted love affair with crack. His binges cost him lucrative and prestigious jobs, destroyed his first marriage, and in the end almost killed him. After a number of relapses he finally hit bottom, got sober, and is now working to help other addicts.

At times, reading "Broken" was like watching a slow-motion train wreck. It was heartbreaking to see Mr. Moyers climb out of the gutter, get things "together," and then throw it all away on a crack binge. He left a lot of destruction in his wake, since it took many devastating falls before he forsook pride and dishonesty for sobriety. If he hadn't had the treatment options that a wealthy and influential father could get him (along with his family's patience and tough love), he'd probably be dead by now. Of course, no story like this one is a done deal, because the possibility exists that Mr. Moyers could relapse. Other authors of similar memoirs ("Fortunate Son," by Lewis B. Puller Jr. comes to mind) have been subsequently consumed by their inner demons. With that in mind, I pray that Mr. Moyers will remain sober one day at a time for the rest of his life.

At any rate, the most powerful aspect of this book (aside from the author's honesty) is Mr. Moyers' call for a change of perspective towards addicts and addiction. The author states that addicts are often labeled as morally corrupt or mentally weak individuals, and are treated accordingly. Health plans don't fund the intense treatment that they need, employers fire them without mercy, and churches cast them out as unrepentant sinners. I agree with Mr. Moyers that it's time for everyone to stop ostracizing addicts and start helping them to heal. I hope that "Broken" will aid with this shift, and I commend Mr. Moyers for bravely forsaking anonymity to encourage other broken individuals and their loved ones with his story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Broken: My Story of Addiction and Redemption, October 11, 2006
This review is from: Broken: My Story of Addiction and Redemption (Hardcover)
Thank you so much, William, for sharing your story. It takes enormous courage to ascend out of the nightmare of addiction, and further courage to tell that story! You do an immense service to the many millions who struggle with this disease, both as addicts and alcoholics themselves, but also for the many others who love them and want to do the right thing.

It was very interesting to hear something of how Hazelden works. I've been ordering books from them for years, and often wondered what their treatment program is like. You give a fascinating insight into that, as well as into your own mindset as you struggled with the program and recovery.

Thank you for sharing the hope and strength to be had from knowing treatment works and recovery does happen! And that the stigma that often stifles people's efforts to get help is sometimes even worse than the disease itself. You are a tremendous beacon in the darkness here. You have turned your liabilities into assets and married them to the wonderful gift of communication and writing that you already had. We are all beneficiaries.

The honesty and hope that your book offers is so needed in these dark times!

Sincerely,

Shelagh Cosgrove, Columbus, Ohio

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and Brutally Honest, October 17, 2006
This review is from: Broken: My Story of Addiction and Redemption (Hardcover)
I was amazed once I started reading at how well this book reads. Even more amazed that it wasn't one of those books about someone who went into recovery and never relapsed. The pain of relapse is something Mr Moyer described perfectly. I share in Mr Moyers addiction and now I have been blessed with sharing his recovery. I have ordered from Hazelden for some time now, so when this book came out, it was a must add to my recovery library. Thank you William, for sharing your story in print so that so many struggling addicts can see that there is hope and the miracle is just around the corner. It works if you work it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Laurie, Charlotte, NC, October 3, 2006
L. Nelson (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Broken: My Story of Addiction and Redemption (Hardcover)
I read this book and could not put it down. Mr Moyers will change the way of thinking for many as this disease has no limitations on the age in which this disease affects someone and all those around them. This book has insight and boundless wisdom for all generations involved. I would recommend all colleges make it madatory reading, and only wish somehow every adult knew it was available.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brutally honest, October 7, 2006
Tina "Tina" (Montreal, Quebec) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Broken: My Story of Addiction and Redemption (Hardcover)
I admit to not being able to pick Bill Moyers out of a crowd - so the fact that this was written by his son made very little difference to me.

What did make a huge difference, however, is the brutal honesty in this book. William Moyers is an addict and admits it. He does not shy away from the [...] that he did while in the throes of his addiction which makes this story of recovery all the more fascinating.

Also really enjoyed his take on Hazelden, which I believe is often overlooked in the world of addictionn - but is a god send.

Thank you William for writing such a wonderful book. Of course, it comes out of your pain - but I am so grateful to you for sharing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courageous, December 16, 2006
This review is from: Broken: My Story of Addiction and Redemption (Hardcover)
I could not put this book down- it is beautifully written and gut-wrencing at the same time. I applaud William and his family for letting us take a look into their dark World of addiction and relapse over and over.This story shows that no one is immune to the evils of alcohol and drug abuse- the Moyers are a successful, supportive family and William seems to have a stable, loving upbringing. Yet, he abuses himself and everyone around him by his harrowing addiction. He takes full responsibility for his disease and does not try to blame outside sources- although, at times, he obsesses over his father's famed career. I hope this story will be passed around to addicts and their families so that we can all better understand this disease that affects so many of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Insight into the Thought Processes, October 29, 2006
This review is from: Broken: My Story of Addiction and Redemption (Hardcover)
This book is "priceless" and was selected as the "Book of the Quarter" by the board of directors for Parentshelpingparents.info. The key reasons for the selection is the author's ability to educate familiy members by sharing the thought processes of the addict while also allowing us to see ourselves as the parents and other family members who love the addict. We as parents desparately need this insight. Thank you for this book.

Pat Nichols, Founder

Parents Helping Parents, Inc.

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy addition to the genre of addiction memoirs, December 20, 2006
This review is from: Broken: My Story of Addiction and Redemption (Hardcover)
It takes a lot of courage for the children of famous parents to not only admit that they decided not to follow in their parents' footsteps but to go on record and admit that they have some serious problems - in this case, addiction to crack, alcohol and other drugs. Of course, those playing Devil's Advocate might wonder: Is this the ONLY way the son of Bill Moyers (the famous journalist) could get attention?

For those people, I have to say: "No, I don't think so." I found this book to be an honest account of the difficulties and challenges of growing up in the limelight,always feeling like he had to step out from the very long shadow cast by his father. William doesn't blame his father nor does he make excuses for his addictions. Instead, he writes openly of all the ups and downs, from disappearing time and again and leaving his family in the lurch, unable to find him, wondering if he was alive...to blowing a tailor-made job at CNN. He also has the integrity to admit that his father helped him move more quickly up the ladder than he might have deserved, at some points in his career and that the family connections kept him from getting busted by the cops at other points along the way. He had plenty of lucky breaks and he knows it. Of course, in time, his luck ran out.

I can't say that this book is among the BEST I've read when it comes to writing about drug addiction. It doesn't break new ground and the writing isn't always the most interesting. However, it is a strong, solid book and I always felt that William was trying to be as open and candid as possible. Also, the book does have some unique features, including excerpts from letters William's father wrote to him as he struggled with his addiction.

2.0 out of 5 stars What's Left Unwritten, January 19, 2012
Predictable story about addiction, "recovery," relapse, "recovery," relapse, "hitting bottom," "recovery," sobriety (for the time being). Of course, since the author is the son of Bill Moyers, white and upper-middle-class, who develops a fondness for lower-class crack cocaine, it isn't the standard chronicle of addiction. What's interesting about the book is the author's inability to come to terms with his father. Son writes at length about the pressure he felt to compete with his father's grand legacy as a journalist (?!), and how those pressures contributed to his flight to crack. But, really, we're talking about Bill Moyers, not Edward R. Murrow; the man who shilled and lied for the Johnson administration and then became Mr. PBS, producing loads of middle-brow bilge for the gullible. And son is pretty disingenuous when it comes to all the great journalism jobs he got because he's Bill Moyers' son. I suspect the truth is much more interesting than what Son writes here: that he's just another run-of-the-mill addict who used his father's influence to get great jobs which paid for his drugs and intermittent recovery programs, and to this day helps sell books and "get his story out there." I doubt the "Moyers Legacy" ever weighed that heavily on his shoulders, and I suspect his drug use was a distinctively passive-aggressive way to tarnish Dad's image, such as it is.

Broken: My Story of Addiction and Redemption
Broken: My Story of Addiction and Redemption by Katherine Ketcham (Hardcover - September 21, 2006)
Used & New from: $0.01