4.0 out of 5 stars Another awesome knock out story by Cassidy
Published on September 8, 2008 by Tracy Vest

3.0 out of 5 stars Diverting - but where's the conflict?
Published 4 months ago by Mimsy Itonia

4.0 out of 5 stars Another awesome knock out story by Cassidy, September 8, 2008
Tracy Vest (Northern California) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Broken Pieces (Signet Eclipse) (Mass Market Paperback)
It's been 16 years since Mariah Sayers was home. Raped as a teen, she finds herself pregnant and unable to turn to her strict parents for support. She runs away to Chicago and starts her life over, but returns to bury old ghosts after her father dies and leaves the family home to her. With the intention of merely fixing it up and putting it on the market, a new romance blossoms with the unlikely boy who sat behind her in class. Jack Taylor is now the town vet - sending women swooning to shelters to get pets to have him treat them. He has always had eyes for Mariah. But the memories of that long ago night continue to haunt Mariah, and just when she starts to think it might be safe to think about staying in Missouri for good, her best friend comes to visit and is brutally attacked and nearly murdered. When the police start to think that the over abundance of runaways might be linked to the attack, Mariah fears that the man who raped her has escalated to murder and she has to decide whether or not to report the crime that caused her to flee in the first place, which might have a devastating effect on her daughter.

Cassidy is an always riveting writer. Her books are like truffles - you just want to devour them. I stayed up late into the night trying to guess who the baddie was - I was totally convinced I was right, and then wham - I was wrong. She creates tension, and tons of red herrings, and takes a storyline that has been used numerous times and makes it seem fresh. My only cirticism is that I would have liked to have more of the aftermath of the killer's reveal, as well as what made them crack. I loved the relationship between Mariah and daughter Kelsey. It was totally believable. And the romance between Mariah and "Dr. Hot" as Kelsey labels him is ... well, hot! I'm convinced that Cassidy could write want ads and keep me glued to the page!

© Tracy Vest, September 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, September 2, 2008
Amy Leemon (North Fond du Lac, WI) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Broken Pieces (Signet Eclipse) (Mass Market Paperback)
Mariah Sayers has returned home for the summer to get her parent's house fixed up so she can settle their estate. She wants to spend as little time as possible in a place that has nothing but bad memories. She never saw the man who brutally attacked her 16 years before and never told anyone about it - except her mother who told her it was her own fault. After that, she ran away and never returned. Until now....

But the memories are there and so is her attacker and he's watching her.

I read this book in one day and have definitely found a new author for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Diverting - but where's the conflict?, October 21, 2014
This review is from: Broken Pieces (Signet Eclipse) (Mass Market Paperback)
Mariah Sayers returns to her hometown sixteen years after she was raped as a teenager. Her daughter Kelsey is a product of that rape, but Mariah has fabricated a story for Kelsey to cover this. Once in town, she quickly falls for local vet Dr. Jack Taylor. However, small incidents put Mariah on edge - she feels as if she's being watched. She fears that her rape sixteen years ago was not a random attack, and that her rapist may very well still be in town.

I quite like the romantic suspense put out by Carla Cassidy. She's always able to create a plucky, sensible heroine, and Mariah Sayers is no exception. It's very refreshing to read a romantic suspense novel in which you aren't groaning out loud at the melodramatic, silly actions of the central character. As another reviewer pointed out, the characters all seem a little too perfect, in particular fourteen-year-old Kelsey. However, I counteracted that with the fact it can be really, really tedious reading about snotty, bratty teenagers. So I didn't mind.

However, there's not a lot really going on here. A couple of spooky incidents here and there, but nothing major. And the central relationship has no conflict. Cassidy seems to be setting it up, with Jack being fairly adamant that he didn't want to be with a woman who came with baggage (which Mariah certainly does), but the romance is all pretty smooth sailing. Basically, there was little tension in either the mystery or the romance.

I picked the bad guy's identity pretty much immediately. The "suspense" and "mystery" aspect of the novel is quite thin, so it's all fairly arbitrary. I was guided more by my familiarity with the genre and its tropes rather than any carefully planted clues.

It's a diverting read. Not much plot, but I didn't get bored, and sometimes it's just nice to read about characters who have level heads on their shoulders.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, December 3, 2008
mahikahn (Columbus, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Broken Pieces (Signet Eclipse) (Mass Market Paperback)
16 years ago Mariah Sayers was raped. She couldn't tell her parents as her father was an abusive preacher who beat Mariah constantly. When Mariah realized she was pregnant and told her mother, her mother said it was Mariah's fault because she snuck out and that's what she gets. Mariah runs away abruptly and never sees her parents again.

After her parents death Mariah returns to Plains Point to get their house ready to sell and spend some quality time with her daughter Kelsey away from the streets of Chicago. While she always tried to tell herself her rapist was a drifter, when she starts getting threatening messages and other girls begin to disappear she feels she may have to tell her secret for it to stop.

But she'd falling in love with the handsome vet Jack Taylor or as Kelsey says, Dr. Hot. Jack used to be a quiet geek who sat behind Mariah in high school and had a major crush on her. Now he's falling in love again but this time it's an adult love.

As Kelsey makes new friends and Jack and Mariah hope to make a long distance romance work a killer is stalking.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love seeing the process of an author's improvement, February 8, 2012
This review is from: Broken Pieces (Signet Eclipse) (Mass Market Paperback)
One of the things I find fascinating about reading a number of books by one author is having the chance to see how an author's style has changed and grown--or failed to do so. I'm always impressed when I see that an author's earlier works weren't nearly as smooth as their current ones, as odd as that sounds, because it means they were able to set aside their ego enough to realize they could improve their skills and set about doing so. That's a tough thing to do with creative works. So when I say that Carla Cassidy's "Broken Pieces" didn't blow me away the way her later "Last Gasp" and "Up Close and Personal" did, that isn't an insult.

At first I was disappointed; the characters were too-perfect and lacked depth. There's the too-good-to-be-true teen daughter who wants to play match-maker for her mother; the hottie love interest who adores animals; and the graceful and gracious main character who has handled everything with tremendous strength and dignity. I had trouble with the idea that one character who was referred to as street-smart would have allowed herself to be caught in a particular dangerous situation. The language and mannerisms also felt a bit stilted.

However, in roughly the last fourth of the book you can see the talent that becomes all the more evident in Cassidy's later books. The building events brought out hidden depths in the characters, as if that's when they finally took on a life of their own in the author's mind. The language and character actions became smoother. Plenty of suspects had been worked into the story, so although I had a good guess as to who the bad guy was, I couldn't be sure, and there was plenty of tension in how events worked out. (And yes, tears were shed. *sniffle*)

This isn't the best of Cassidy's books, but it is enjoyable. The beginning didn't wow me, but by the end my opinion had gotten much higher. Now I want to go see if there are more recent books of hers I should be reading--as if I need any more books on my to-be-read stack!

[NOTE: review book provided by publisher]

5.0 out of 5 stars A "got to read book", April 25, 2013
This review is from: Broken Pieces (Hardcover)
I have become a real fan of Carla Cassidy - she writes
a really good mystery
I love a who done it that takes
me to the end before I can be sure I
have it figured out!
I would recommend her books to anyone who
like a good mystery

5.0 out of 5 stars Carla Cassidy - Broken Pieces, May 22, 2013
This review is from: Broken Pieces (Signet Eclipse) (Mass Market Paperback)
Another great read by Carla Cassidy. Just discovered her books and have loved every one I've read thus far. She grabs your interest and holds it to the end. Great storylines. She's at the top of my favorite author list.

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, December 1, 2008
Athenajackson "Raymond fan" (SMithville, Arkansas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Broken Pieces (Signet Eclipse) (Mass Market Paperback)
Broken Pieces (Signet Eclipse)
This was an exceelent book a little too much romance for my taste by very suspenseful for the most part.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, December 16, 2009
This review is from: Broken Pieces (Signet Eclipse) (Mass Market Paperback)
This was my first Carla Cassidy novel. It was an excellent mystery that I couldn't put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept me Going Past Bedtime, November 3, 2008
This review is from: Broken Pieces (Signet Eclipse) (Mass Market Paperback)
I just started reading Carla's books this year. I love to read and had thought I had run out of authors, until I picked up one of her books one day. Since then I have gone online and managed to get all of them. This is a very good book and lets you know that some people can come out of a bad situation and make it work for them. Mariah Sayers was a hero, to be the exceptional Mother she was from a product of rape overwhelmed me.

Broken Pieces (Signet Eclipse)
Broken Pieces (Signet Eclipse) by Carla Cassidy (Mass Market Paperback - September 2, 2008)
Used & New from: $0.01