5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING FOR HAIR!!
Published on June 21, 2011 by Nicole

3.0 out of 5 stars Still experimenting
I was in search of a cure for dry lips and skin. I have tried a multitude of products so I thought I would go full on organic and see if that helped. There are no instructions so you have to just experiment and see how it works for you. I started off using way too much and having to spend time getting it off of me so that I wasn't a greasy, slimy mess. However, once...
Published 4 months ago by William E Koehn

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING FOR HAIR!!, June 21, 2011
This review is from: Dr Bronner's Fresh-pressed Virgin Coconut Oil White Kernel Unrefined 14 Fl Oz (Health and Beauty)
I bought this particular coconut oil at Whole Foods, but I wanted to write a review on here for anyone who is interested in using coconut oil. This brand is very good. It was a bit more solid in the store, due to the fact that it's cooler temperature than my apartment. When it heats up, it melt and is just a clear oil. When I opened the jar, the smell was amazing! I love the smell of coconut. I did a deep conditioning treatment with this for my hair which is a bit dry and damaged, and also very fine. I put a pretty good amount of this and rubbed it through the length of my hair, and also massaged my scalp with it. I left it in for about 2 hours and then washed it out with shampoo and then conditioned as normal. Even as I was washing it out, it felt amazingly soft. I also tried another version of the deep conditioning treatment - I left it in over night and washed and conditioned as normal the next morning. This really packed a punch - my hair was SO soft and silky and VERY shiny, I couldn't believe it was my hair. I couldn't stop touching it all day lol. This is more amazing than any hair product out there. And it's completely natural and inexpensive. And I forgot to mention your hair will smell absolutely yummy while you have it in :)

5.0 out of 5 stars White Kernel not Whole..., April 1, 2013
All other brands can claim whatever they want but I always look for Fair Trade products, something very rare which costs the producer more money to produce the same jar or bag of whatever anywhere outside US. Look around and you will hardly ever find any Fair Trade products. Furthermore, it is a certified KOSHER product where "K" certification is another process which assures a high quality product, other brands are not.

DR. BRONNER
Lauric+Caprylic+Capric Acids=49%
Omega 6 Linoleic Acid=unknown
Omega 9 Oleic Acid=unknown
Temprature=130
Press=cold pressed when contacted no fresh pressed
Refined or Unrefined=unrefined

I use VCO in the mix for my hair, shaving cream, soap, hand lotion, face lotion, body lotion, tooth paste as well as I make popcorn and consume it straight out of the jar for its nutrients. Years ago, I was able to get raw, hand pressed coconut oils from fresh coconuts from Mexico produced right here in US but due to popularity of VCOs, many producers have been creative in making money by misleading shoppers as well as many misleading reviews by shoppers certainly has hyped the business of VCO to another level. Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is a lie since Extra Virgin applies only to olive oil and infact the VCO market has become so saturated that many producers are removing extra from their labeling and calling it virgin coconut oil, no more extra virgin. In Canada where the best VCOs are produced, it is illegal to even use the term, extra virgin for coconut oil but in US the laws are very relaxed. There is no Extra Virgin coconut oil, only virgin, there is no pure, no #1, no 100%, no premium liquid, or any of those terms used for coconut oils. There is no coconut oil especially produced for beauty product which is any different than for cooking or consumption either as a salad dressing or right out of the jar with a spoon. The higher the grade, the higher the nutrients, everything else are marketing tools to sell coconut oil for more money.

REFINED or UNREFINED: The decision to choose between refined vs. unrefined is dependent upon the intention or use of the oil. Unrefined coconut oil has a smoke point of 280 degrees Fahrenheit, whereas, refined coconut oil's smoke point is 365 degrees Fahrenheit making it great for high heat cooking or sautéing.

GRADE A: Unfiltered, Fair Trade, Certified organic by the USDA, Canada Organic, BC Certified Organic, Ecocert, first pressed VCO and Kosher. Hand pressed and cold-pressed to produce raw oil from fresh coconuts in as little as two hours.
GRADE B: Unfiltered, Fair Trade, Certified organic by the USDA, Kosher, cold-pressed from fresh coconuts. Unknown if first pressed, Not Ecocert, Not raw oil produced in couple hours or less like Grade A.
GRADE C: Unfiltered, Certified organic by the USDA, Kosher, cold-pressed from fresh coconuts. Unknown if first pressed, Not Fair Trade, Not Ecocert, Not raw oil produced in couple hours or less like Grade A.
GRADE D: Unfiltered, Certified organic by the USDA, Kosher, cold-pressing/expeller pressing. Unknown if first pressed, Not Fair Trade, Not Ecocert, Not from fresh coconuts but from copra, Not raw oil produced in couple hours or less like Grade A.

This is GRADE B VCO. I consume GRADE A and B with a spoon right out of the jar but for popcorn I go with GRADE C. I do not consume filtered or GRADE D. When heated, just like any food item, VCO loses its nutritional value. As a beauty product, I mix this VCO with CO since CO is one of my favorite oils for my skin and it keeps the VCO in liquid form instead of solid form regardless of the temperature. Dr. Bronner is one of the only producers that does not claim Extra Virgin anywhere on their labelling at all since there is no such thing as Extra Virgin at all. This is white kernel not whole. Lower MCT/MCFA probably due to heat. Nutiva is changing its labelling so no more extra virgin as well as producing it Fair Trade since VCO market is becoming so saturated with low quality VCO and marketing lies.

5.0 out of 5 stars unique moisturizer; recommend for dry, cracked skin and mild eczema, April 10, 2012
Sam (Walnut Creek, CA) - See all my reviews
My wife purchased this coconut oil to use as a skin moisturizer. She was on a quest for a more natural / organic lotion and was recommended this by a friend. We began using the coconut oil on our children after they bathed and noticed that it left their skin softer and for much longer than the lotions we were using previously (aquaphor, ceraVe, or sebamed). In terms of moisturizing effect, it is on par with these other products as well. Also, our kids also seem to like the coconut oil and put up less fuss after bathing. It's something different and they really like the light coconut scent. It also seems to work well on mild eczema (and does it without the burning sensation). My wife also uses the coconut oil on her face as a lotion. I have used it to moisturize hands and feet.

In terms of application, the coconut oil is a solid at room temperature, but melts quite easily. It gets soft and runny if you place the bottle in the shower as you bathe or upon contact with the skin, making it easy to apply on the body. One thing to keep in mind though is the oil is very greasy and can leave marks on clothing (although the stains seem to wash out). I have found that despite the greasiness, the oils absorb into skin relatively quickly (maybe 15-20 minutes), and when it soaks in, it is really soaked in (meaning you can wash your hands and it does not get greasy again). Still, we tend to use this lotion before bed most often.

5.0 out of 5 stars ~ GOOD FOR EVERYTHING ~, May 18, 2013
I never used Coconut Oil of any kind, I like Coconut but not a Big Fan. I was surprised to see that "Dr Bronner's Fresh-pressed Virgin Coconut Oil" is congealed into a Thick White Paste with the aroma of Coconut. An Oil that is Good for just about everything, 1 Tablespoon has 130 Calories. I have used it in Baking and Cooking instead of Butter with excellent Results and the aroma of Coconut is not that noticeable. I have also applied it to my Face, made it Nice and Soft...Next I want to try it on my Scalp to see if it will Grow Thicker Hair...

Coconut Oil is Recommended as a Supplement, Take 1 Tablespoon 1 to 4 times daily, maybe used as a Spread or added to Salad Dressings and Smoothies

FOR COOKING: Use it in Place of Butter, Margarine, Shortening or other Cooking Oils, for Baking or Frying in Temperatures up to 350F degrees

FOR SKIN CARE: Use it as a Moisturizer Lotion, Place Jar in warm water to Liquefy, Massage small amounts onto the Skin

FOR HAIR CARE: Use it as a Conditioner, Place Jar in warm water to Liquefy, then apply 2 teaspoons to the Hair 1 to 2 Hours before Washing

Coconut Oil is a Natural Energy, it contains High levels of Healthy type of Fat called MCTs "Medium Chain Triglycerides" Pure Form of Coconut Oil, MCTs are different from other Fats primarily because they are digested much more easily and efficiently. This makes an extremely efficient Energy Source much more than Sugar. Also MCTs don't add to Fat Cells or form Artery Hardening Plaque as readily as other Fats. Coconut Oil is a good addition to my Physical Activity Exercise and Weight Loss Programs. I like the Pure Extra Virgin Coconut oil to the point that has become a Staple in my Kitchen! ...Thank You D.D.

5.0 out of 5 stars ~ GOOD FOR EVERYTHING ~, May 22, 2013
I never used Coconut Oil of any kind, I like Coconut but not a Big Fan. I was surprised to see that "Fair Trade Organic White Virgin Coconut Oil" comes in a Glass Jar and is Congealed into a White Thick Paste and with the aroma of Coconut. An Oil that is good for just about everything, 1 Tablespoon has 120 Calories. I have used in Baking and Cooking instead of Butter with excellent results and the aroma of Coconut is not noticeable. I have also applied it to my Face, made it Nice and Soft...Next I want to try it on my Scalp to see if it will Grow Thicker Hair...

Coconut Oil is Recommended as a Supplement, Take 1 Tablespoon 1 to 4 times daily, maybe use it as a Spread or added to Salad Dressings and Smoothies

Coconut Oil is a Natural Energy, it contains High levels of Healthy type of Fat called MCTs "Medium Chain Triglycerides" Pure Form of Coconut Oil, MCTs are different from other Fats primarily because they are digested much more easily and efficiently. This makes an extremely efficient Energy Source much more than Sugar. Also MCTs don't add to Fat Cells or form Artery Hardening Plaque as readily as other Fats. Coconut Oil is a Good addition to my Physical Exercise Activity and Weight Loss Programs. I like the Pure Extra Virgin Coconut Oil to the point that has become a Staple in my Kitchen! ...Thank You D.D.

5.0 out of 5 stars What sold me: Fair traded, glass jar means no plastics leaching, May 3, 2013
B. Grandon (San Diego, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
There are many decent choices in coconut oils, but I like this one for the reasons in the title.

I do believe it's important to remember when we purchase anything, we are 'voting' so to speak, on not just the end product but on the original producers of the product, and the subsequent supply chain, so in cases where there is a CHOICE of a fair traded product vs non fair traded, I always go for fair traded when I can. This means I am doing what I can to help the farmers and growers, as small a gesture as it is.

And for the coconut oil, it is light and delicious, and of course you get all the benefits of coconut oil's medium chain fatty acids (which the body prefers to burn vs store, unlike the 'regular' long chain fatty acids which most oils and fats are comprised of.) Even though it's saturated, it does not have all the negative effects that saturated fats can have on some people; still if you have a health condition where you are supposed to avoid saturated fats I would proceed with caution and have your blood work done after using it awhile to make sure all is well.

I take a tablespoon when I am on the run and need energy, especially before going to the gym. It gives a nice steady energy and you're blood sugar won't crash. It aids in weight loss, in being filling, in its ability to be used for immediate energy, and gives a boost to the thyroid. If you are chronically cold or have a subclinical case of low thyroid, you should find that this will make you feel warmer, temperature wise. Also supportive to the immune system and if you suffer from a chronic viral infection, this should be added to your arsenal.

And for the packaging, even though it is not likely that plastics leach into coconut oil because coconut is not acidic, there is a small chance it could be, as no plastic is truly chemically stable as glass is. I would always go for glass packaging over plastic any day, even if I pay a dollar or two more.

5.0 out of 5 stars oil pulling, April 8, 2014
This products works great for oil pulling, mild flavor is easy to keep in mouth without gagging. highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars good product, July 22, 2011
i purchased this at whole foods as well but felt the need to comment since i depend on comments myself for purchases. this is a great product and smells divine. i use this mainly for eating and cooking purposes but will be trying it for lotion and deoderant. good choice for a coconut oil :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best oil I've ever used, December 13, 2013
I purchased this locally for about $10 for 16oz.
It is pure white, like snow, and smells strongly like coconut.

Works well on my hair and scalp. I use it to lubricate my scalp, prepoo before washing with diluted shampoo, as a leave in under leave in cream, and as a sealant on my ends. I like it so much that I noticed it's the only oil I've been using for the past 6 months. I also make herbal infusions with it. My first jar has lasted about a year and I still have 3 ounces left.

My only complaint is coconut oil's natural property. It is a hardened oil that melts easily if you run it under hot water or emulsify it in your hands. But having to have hot water all the time just to melt the oil is really annoying. It's better for me to use it melted because I only need a tiny bit to use it on my hair and scalp. Also, the oil causes acne, so I have to be careful when using it on hair. Despite this, coconut oil is worth it.

I will definitely repurchase this because it's the best oil I've discovered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ever!, March 15, 2013
I have been doing a lot of research lately on Coconut Oil and it is absolutely brilliant! Dr Bronner's is the best brand out there and I love this product.

I use it for everything, I put it in my hair and on my skin and it's the best!

Dr Bronner's Fresh-pressed Virgin Coconut Oil White Kernel Unrefined 14 Fl Oz
$11.99 $10.79
In stock. Usually ships within 4 to 5 days.
Rate and Discover Movies