5.0 out of 5 stars Skip the Podiatrist, Says My Podiatrist!
Published on May 5, 2009 by Amanda K. Stefansson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the average over-pronator
Published on May 23, 2010 by Tracy Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Skip the Podiatrist, Says My Podiatrist!, May 5, 2009
My podiatrist told me he would have 75% fewer clients if everyone wore Brooks Beasts. These are the best shoes for folks with flat feet and heavy pronation. At first they feel clunky and look big, but you soon get used to it once you realize that your feet don't hurt anymore! I walked Disney for three straight days in these and never complained, but yet a few hours in trendy shoes and I wince the next morning. I wish Brooks made athletic cleats, I would buy those too.

Money very well spent, and I will never buy any other brand of running shoe but Brooks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the average over-pronator, May 23, 2010
I really loved my previous Brooks from the addiction/adrenaline series. After learning some more about type of support needed with fallen arches (flat feet) and weighing in at 215 pounds, the Beast seemed like the natural choice. I couldn't have been more wrong. I can't stress this enough; these shoes have the most aggressive support on the planet. You would have to be over 250 pounds to get these soles to react properly. Do not think that just because you have flat feet that these will be great for you, as I did. When running, the heal strike is very painful due to the hard compound used for durability. The heal to toe motion is very good and the shoes fit true to size. This shoe as all other Brooks are built extremely well. You will not find a company with better build quality and durability. These shoes are built for a very select purpose and I feel that they will serve that purpose well, but these shoes are made for 2% of runners and are too aggressive for the rest. After realizing that I could not run in them, I tried wearing them for chores around the house and that is not possible in these shoes either. They get uncomfortable after about 10 minutes because of too much support. I have rated this product at three stars only to catch peoples attention and let them know that there are now 4 categories of running shoes, not 3 and they are Cushioning, Stability, Motion Control, and the Brooks Beast as they stand in a category of their own now. I moved back into the Adrenaline 10 and they are perfect. Brooks are a great shoe, just get the right one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stay injury free, May 26, 2009
I have been walking and running in the Brook Beast for more than 10 years and find it an excellent shoe for both comfort and for staying injury free. I'm not a heavy runner: 159 lbs and 5'11. Also I'm nearing 69. But for me this shoe allows me to run in comfort and since switching from other brands I've experienced no injuries and almost no knee pain. For runners who need stability, run on asphalt as I do, and want to protect the joints, I highly recommend you buy THE BEAST. It's stylist and long lasting too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knees and archs... problem solved, August 18, 2009
I'm 5'10, 200lbs, 33 with bad knee pain and a left foot collapsing arch. Skateboarded, ran and snowboarded for about 15 years... (my knees sound like the microwave popcorn on movie night). I got these shoes at the high end of the price range due to breaking point pain that day. It was worth it!!! 3 weeks later I feel like hopping on my board again. Glucosamine over the time helped too. Do it and you will echo us. These shoes are hot in August but if you have pain and walk or run alot you wil be very happy in a couple weeks or so. 5 stars! JP

5.0 out of 5 stars Not-Beastly, June 2, 2011
I bought these about seven years ago from a local store that specializes in running. At that time, I weighed in at approximately 220 pounds and was running about 1-2 miles per day in a pair of sneakers I had bought the year before and used only for jogging. During that time, I had come to accept the fact that running would always be painful (particularly my shins and knees) until I lost a significant amount of weight.

After taking a look at my running gait, the store person recommended these shoes.

Honestly, they look like Frankenstein's running shoes. Just clunky, and ugly as sin. I got over the aesthetics QUICKLY. If you are overweight, and flatfooted, but dedicated to physical fitness, they are just the best. Seemingly overnight, all leg pain disappeared. I have not replaced these in 8 years (which is bad) but I never again had the type of pain that came from previous sneakers. I will be replacing my previous pair (which has held up remarkably well) with a new pair of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST shoe I have ever owned, April 8, 2010
The Beast is far and away the best shoe I have ever owned. For years, I have been suffering from excruciating shin splints. Nothing seemed to work. Different shoes, ice, ibuprofen, all in vein. I used to buy my shoes blindly online, but finally broke down and went into a real running store, and the guy looked at my feet, listened to what I told him, and said these are absolutely the shoe for you. Since then, I have rekindled my love of running, because finally, thanks to the Beast, I am pain free. Without hesitation, I would recommend this shoe to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shoe for extended sightseeing, October 22, 2010
I just got back from 3 weeks in Europe. Each day with rare exception (when I was traveling to the next city by train), I would be on my feet from about 9am to about 5pm walking from one tourist sight to another. Then some rest in the hotel and then back on my feet again (dinner) from about 7pm to about 9:30pm. I wore The Beast almost every day except one day when it rained most of the day. Turns out The Beast does not have good traction on wet cobblestones. I am 5'11" and weight about 165. These shoes were absolutely outstanding for me. Walking on streets, sidewalks, up hills (to castles) or down (from castles) and on cobblestones (the worst surface to walk on in my opinion), my feet felt great. No pain or soreness in feet, legs and most importantly knees. A few points in the interest of full disclosure: (1) I have worn Brooks shoes for many years. My feet seem to do very well in Brooks. (2) I replaced the stock insole with gel insoles immediately upon purchase. (3) I bought some reasonably thick synthetic material Wigwam socks (not a fan of cotton socks). I figure if these shoes perform well on cobblestones in Europe, then they are truly some special shoes. Now that I am home I am wearing them regularly. I also like the grey-black color scheme as it does not show the dirt from use like the typical white only athletic shoes. One more point: I will try to describe a lacing pattern that one guy in a shoe store showed me. The lace from the 2nd to the last eyelet makes a loop to the last eyelet on the same side of the shoe and then comes across the shoe and into the loop created between the 2nd to the last and the last eyelet on the other side of the shoe. I found this lacing pattern to make a definitely noticeable improvement in how the shoe gripped my feet and kept them stable. Highly recommend the shoe and the lacing pattern.

December, 2010 update: about two months ago I bought a replacement pair of The Beast shoes. While they looked identical to the previous pair, much to my surprise I discovered that somehow Brooks had taken a significant amount of weight out of the shoe. Comparing the two shoes - the weight decrease is quite noticeable. After using the new version for the last couple of months I am pleased to report that I have not noticed any decrease in the comfort or support that I now expect from The Beast. If this performance continues, I will be greatly impressed as the weight of the old The Beast shoes was always a negative to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEAST, May 18, 2011
The BEST over pronater shoe on the market...been running 40 years and tried them all. Settled in on the BEAST about 9(?) years ago and would never go back to anything else.

3.0 out of 5 stars Brooks BEAST might be good for certain people only!!, December 8, 2009
I believe that the BEAST is a shoe designed for heavy runners of at least 200lb or more that need a lot of support and don't mind reduced cushioning because they walk or run relatively slowly.

If you weight is about ~175lb the BEAST is probably a very bad choice for you. It is one of the heaviest shoes and the roll bar they have on the inside is designed to provide maximum support and therefore is really hard and does not absorb any impact at all. Even thought I have flat feet and pronation, I had a lot less pain on my knee with the generic inexpensive neutral running shoes I used to wear than the tremendous knee pain I had when i tried the BEAST (even though it was supposedly designed to eliminate knee pain from pronation).

For light runners like me I would recommend stability shoes instead, they also provide support but with more cushioning and a lot less weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent shoe for larger people, April 20, 2009
This shoe was recommended to me by a runners' specialty shoe store. I was experiencing severe aches and pains, and this shoe has resolved 95% of my issues. I am big guy. I weigh 235 lbs even when I am at my desired 12% body fat. These are the only running shoes that I have kept me pain free and allowed me to keep a running program.

They are not very stylist compared to some of the newer designs, and they are also heavy. But, they absolutely came through on the promise to help with my stability issues and relieve many of the problems I was experiencing. Above all, I would recommend getting advise from one of these types of shoe stores of you are considering running. And, if this shoe is recommended to you, I would not hesitate to try it.