I was originally looking to only replace one DVD movie. However when I went looking on Amazon I saw that the collection was on a Timed Deal on Amazon. It had an extreme price cut and I could not pass it up. However even at the higher price it appears to be a value balancing both the content and price per disk in the set. I believe it to be worth the investment so as one would say the buy is not just a "Roll in the Hay" (pardon the Pun).

Here is the low down on the collection:

1) The Box and Packaging of the disks is very good. Includes a cover box and a plastic multi-disk case. (The disks did not shift out of their spot in shipping) Disks also go in and out of the case easily. The Silk Screening on the Box Art is well done. Great selection of Cover Art which is a picture of Mel Brooks as a "Director".
2) You receive quite a number of movies for the price. Silk Screening on the disks is clean and crisp.
3) The picture quality is better than DVD, but maybe not as good as I have seen with other box sets. But not to worry they do make good use of the extra room on the Blu-Ray with Extras.
4) I was impressed with the number of extras that were included, an Example of this is: In Young Frankenstein you get additional out-takes, interviews, bloopers, deleted Scenes, etc.
5) I would recommend exploring the extras - they are fun to watch and also give you some insight into the creative process and at times a bigger picture of the story. (I.E. in Young Frankenstein you get to view, as part of the deleted scenes, the reading of the Baron's Will)
6) Includes Trivia Tracks which are fun to play.
7) Downside is it does not contain all of his movies. It would be Nice to have a Volume 2 or 3 which would eventually bring all the features together under one consistently produced collection.
8) Makes a great gift!

I would recommend the collection. So start trading in your DVDs.

This Collection Includes the Following 9 Titles on a set of Blu-Ray Disks:

Commentaries
Interviews
Documentaries
Still Galleries
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Most of the movies here are classics which makes it a problem if you don't want all the movies. The version of "Blazing Saddles" is the earlier release from Warner which doesn't look as good as the 30th Anniversary re-release and the extras aren't any great shakes. The transfer looks so-so and lacks the sharper look of the later 30th Anniversary Edition. "Young Frankenstein" resembles the first DVD release of the film from Fox with the same extras. Reportedly "Young Frankenstein" was supposed to be remastered in anamorphic widescreen but the wrong master used or the wrong discs shipped with this set. For those that care it's not anamorphic. The film looks extremely good but if you already have these classic films, I'd suggest waiting for these to be released individually.

Fans of Brooks will be buying this for the previously unreleased films "Silent Movie", "Robin Hood:Men in Tights", "To Be or Not to Be" (which Brooks didn't direct but stars in) and "High Anxiety". All these films look pretty good here (although "The Twelve Chairs" is probably going to be of the least interest to fans that grew up on Brooks other classic films). "Robin Hood" comes with an featurette produced for HBO on the film. Most of the others come only with theatrical trailer(s). "To Be or Not To Be" comes with a short featurette and some profiles of Brooks, the late Anne Bancroft and Charles Durning. Clearly they weren't produced for the DVD but must be some sort of promotional bits for another format (you're guess is as good as mine)possibly for an Electtronic Press Book.

If you have problems with any of the discs you can contact Fox at their customer service phone number 1-888-223-2FOX.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 20, 2011
Since I grew up in the 80's, I grew up with Mel Brooks' films. I have been a fan for as long as I can remember. When I saw this set listed on Amazon for $45.99, I couldn't pass it up. I must say that Fox has outdone themselves here. Those of you who have been buying Fox's DVDs and blu-rays probably know that there is nothing special about the majority of them, as many are lacking special features, etc. But not so with this set. First of all, the video transfers on all nine movies are simply incredible. I have watched all of these movies on DVD in the past, and the blu-ray versions just blows them all away. Every movie also has an impressive collection of special features. These include excellent documentaries (many of which are in HD), deleted scenes, trailers, TV Spots, etc. My only (albeit small) complaint here is that I wish more of the films had commentaries, because I love listening to Mel talk about the making of his movies. He is funny, witty, and he tells a great story. Also included is a 119-page, hard-bound book which talks about the making of all nine films. I am still in the process of reading it, but so far there is a lot of information about the making of the movies that I had not known before. My only other complaint about this set is that it is missing The Producers, Life Stinks, and Dracula: Dead and loving It. It really is too bad that these films were left out for whatever reason, but when they are finally released on blu, I will pick them up just the same. The bottom line is that if you are a fan of Mel Brooks' movies, then you simply can't go wrong here. You will not be sorry.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
FYI everyone, Mel Brooks only shot TWO films in wide screen: "Blazing Saddles" and "History of the World Part 1".

If you compare the rest of the films to the original full frame laserdiscs you will see that FOX just masked off the top & bottom of the picture to make the films look widescreen. They should have been presented in full frame to give us the complete picture, some signs & faces get cut off.

So now I have to keep my 1987 laserdiscs, even though these new transfers look sharper.

The missing films not in this box set are not owned by 20th Century Fox. We are lucky they made a special arrangement with Warner Brothers to include Blazing Saddles (although it is the old master) in this set.

"The Producers" , "Space Balls" and "Life Stinks" are owned by MGM.
"Dracula Dead and Loving it" is distributed by Warner Brothers & owned by Castlerock.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I love Mel Brooks. When I heard he's having a collection coming out on Blu Ray, I was excited.

If you're a Mel Brooks fan, this is a no brainer. Now for the dissappointing aspects.

This box set WILL NOT fit on your DVD rack without there being some major changes to the layout of your entertainment center. The Blu Ray/book/jacket/thing is roughly the same size as a hard bound coffee table book. It's clunky and it falls apart easily (the binding agents "glue" was weak on my copy. To top it off, you're sliding Blu Ray discs up against straight up card stock inserts to get them out. It's more of an annoyance than anything, but if you can see through that, you're set.

You'll also notice that there's some movies missing. I'm not saying that Dracula: Dead and loving it should be wiped clean from human memory, but it's the completitionist in me that would like to see all his works in something named "Collection". It's really not a collection, isn't it. More like a "greatest hits", or "The ones we want you to remember him by". I was somewhat suprised that The Producers wasn't in this collection either. Was that 10th or 11th movie going to disrupt the balance of the box set and set the world ablaze? probably not, I'm guessing it was those two timing Hollywood lawyers that kept my dream from becoming a reality.

Long story short, Terri Garr was insanely hot and everybody knows that Druish princesses are attacted to money and power, and Darth Helmet has both.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 26, 2006
I just received my copy of the Mel Brooks Collection today. THe Young Frankenstein disk is indeed in Anamorphic Widescreen, so they must have fixed the problem. This is a great set with great movies!
on April 12, 2006
Buyer beware: the Blazing Saddles included here is the older release without ANY of the special features on the 30th anniversary edition
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I suppose every Mel Brooks' fan has seen these films. What a catalog he has produced/directed/screen-written/song-written/ starred in, etcetera.
THIS Blu-ray collection is slightly different from the [costlier] previous ones. It does NOT include the covetted 119 page hardback book...
or, several films from OTHER studios.
THESE are 20th Century Fox Films.
Other films, The Producers (Collector's Edition),[BluRay/DVD Combo] [Blu-ray], and a silly-favorite of mine Dracula: Dead and Loving It ---
to name but a few --- are not included as they're from different studios.

Okay, so this costs less than $140. THAT, alone, made me want to upgrade my old VHS/LVD/DVDs.

This collection includes Commentaries; Interviews; Documentries; Still galleries; and more on selected films, and
7 archive featurettes
6 Blu-Ray --- exclussive --- featurettes
5 Isolated Music Score Sound Tracks
4 Trivia Tracks
----------------------------------------------------
Includes the following --- {but, in BLU-RAY}:
The Mel Brooks Collection (Blazing Saddles / Young Frankenstein / Silent Movie / Robin Hood: Men in Tights / To Be or Not to Be / History of the World, Part 1 / The Twelve Chairs / High Anxiety)
and
Spaceballs (25th Anniversary Edition) [Blu-ray]

These are films we either DIDN'T --- or DID --- "grow up" with. Maybe the YEARS would be helpful (Mel's in 'em all, of course):
The Twelve Chairs.............(1970)...Ron Moody and Dom DeLuise
Blazing Saddles................(1974)...Cleavon Little; Gene Wilder; Harvey Korman; Madeline Kahn
Young Frankenstein...........(1974)...Marty Feldman; Peter Boyle; Cloris Leachman; Madeline Kahn; Teri Garr
Silent Movie......................(1976)...Marty Feldman; Dom DeLuise; Paul Newman; Burt Reynolds;Liza Minnelli; Marcel Marceau
High Anxiety.....................(1977)...Madeline Kahn; Cloris Leachman; Harvey Korman
History of The World, Part I(1981)...Madeline Kahn; Dom DeLuise; Harvey Korman; Gregory Hines; Sid Caesar
To Be or Not to Be.............(1983)...Tim Matheson; Charles Durning; Jose Ferrer; Christopher Lloyd
Spaceballs........................(1987)...Rick Moranis[whatever happened to HIM?]; John Candy; Daphne Zuniga; Bill Pullman
Robin Hood: Men in Tights.(1993)...Cary Elwes;Richard Lewis;Amy Yasbeck;David Chappelle;Dom Deluise;Isaic Hayes;Chuck McCann;Dick Van Patten
==========================================================================================
A little birdie tells me that TODAY is a great day to order this to avoid high anxiety. To be or not to be? Just invite everyone over,
pull up twelve chairs and get off your blazing saddles. As you can tell from my profile photo, I'm NO young Frankenstein anymore. In
the history of the world, part two includes Spaceballs. There WAS a silent movie of Robin Hood that had men in tights, in part one.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Despite many of the other reviews posted here, I'm quite pleased with this collection. They appear to be using the premium versions of the previously released titles (something that surprisingly didn't happen with the Blazing Saddles box), and are finally releasing High Anxiety and Silent Movie, in addition to the other fine titles. Glad to see the severely underappreciated Twelve Chairs included also. This buy is a no-brainer, from my perspective.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Okay, I admit I was pretty dissapointed to not see the 2004 SE release of Blazing Saddles, but since my Dad owns the SE release already, I'm not too worried. Otherwise this is sheer kick-ass movie set of my favorite comedy director of all time (along David Zucker), Mel Brooks.

Here are my given thoughts of the eight movies presented in this set:

Blazing Saddles-10/10 One of my all-time favorite comedies, this one literally pokes fun at all the early Western movies we've seen. A recently hired black sheriff tries to protect the peaceful town of Rock Ridge from certain troubles, most of which come from Attorney General Hedy Lamarr ("That's Hedley!") trying to destroy the town and build a railroad across the area.

High Anxiety-9/10 A hilarious sendup to the Hitchcock stories, this one shows Dr. Richard A. Thorndyke, a psychiatrist with an huge fear of heights, become head of a pyschiatric institute, and realizes that he's dealing with a much bigger fear than his own.

History of the World, Part I-8/10 Hilarious. This one is a ragbag of sketches, showing the timeline from the evolution of men to the Roman Era, to Spanish Catholic conversion to the French Revolution, all shown Brooks style. The Spanish Inquisition song, is a real hoot.

Robin Hood: Men In Tights-7/10 Not Brooks's best, but still quite enjoyable. It's basically a parody on Robin Hood, which its jokes hit more than miss.

Silent Movie-8/10 First time I've seen it, and I like it. The title here explains it all: A silent movie about a crew of moviemakers making a silent movie for the Big Studios before the company Engulf and Devour takes over the studio. A simple plot, but still lots of fun.

The Twelve Chairs-7/10 Even the most underrated Brooks film has some appeal, because despite of the lack of laughs, its storyline with a twist ending brings it home. Russian clerk Ippolit (Ron Moody) tries to find his mother's fortune stored in the cushion of one of the 12 dining room chairs before Rev. Fyodor (Dom DeLuise) finds it for himself. Fyodor brings most of the laughs of this whole movie with his maniacal character and hilarious dialogue.

To Be Or Not To Be-10/10 A hilarious adaption of the old WWII story, as a Polish actor and his wife try to save themselves and the other actors of their theatre from Nazism cropping all over Poland.

Young Frankenstein-10/10 Great sendup to Frankenstein. Peter Boyle plays an excellent monster, but the best preformance comes from Gene Wilder as Dr. Frederick Frankenstein, who gains the inheritance of his father and takes the science of ressurrecting a being onto himself.

Despite the double dipping of Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein, the majority of this set is classic. So what are you waiting for? Don't be the Piss boy and buy this set! "It's good to be the king."