5.0 out of 5 stars What a Great Collection - Filled With Extras
I was originally looking to only replace one DVD movie. However when I went looking on Amazon I saw that the collection was on a Timed Deal on Amazon. It had an extreme price cut and I could not pass it up. However even at the higher price it appears to be a value balancing both the content and price per disk in the set. I believe it to be worth the investment so as...
Published on August 17, 2012 by Mr. David M. Marciniszyn

3.0 out of 5 stars Movies are classic, but if you have the DVD's rethink your purchase
I am a huge Mel Brooks fan, so I already had 7 of these movies on DVD. I was really excited to watch these in the splendor of 1080 but alas I am on my fourth movie and it absolutely feels like these are up-converted films. The quality looks no different then a standard DVD running through the blu-ray player. I have watched Robin Hood, Spaceballs and Blazing Saddles. I...
Published on June 9, 2012 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 389 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars You da man, Brooks!, June 5, 2006
This review is from: The Mel Brooks Collection (Blazing Saddles / Young Frankenstein / Silent Movie / Robin Hood: Men in Tights / To Be or Not to Be / History of the World, Part 1 / The Twelve Chairs / High Anxiety) (DVD)
Okay, I admit I was pretty dissapointed to not see the 2004 SE release of Blazing Saddles, but since my Dad owns the SE release already, I'm not too worried. Otherwise this is sheer kick-ass movie set of my favorite comedy director of all time (along David Zucker), Mel Brooks.

Here are my given thoughts of the eight movies presented in this set:

Blazing Saddles-10/10 One of my all-time favorite comedies, this one literally pokes fun at all the early Western movies we've seen. A recently hired black sheriff tries to protect the peaceful town of Rock Ridge from certain troubles, most of which come from Attorney General Hedy Lamarr ("That's Hedley!") trying to destroy the town and build a railroad across the area.

High Anxiety-9/10 A hilarious sendup to the Hitchcock stories, this one shows Dr. Richard A. Thorndyke, a psychiatrist with an huge fear of heights, become head of a pyschiatric institute, and realizes that he's dealing with a much bigger fear than his own.

History of the World, Part I-8/10 Hilarious. This one is a ragbag of sketches, showing the timeline from the evolution of men to the Roman Era, to Spanish Catholic conversion to the French Revolution, all shown Brooks style. The Spanish Inquisition song, is a real hoot.

Robin Hood: Men In Tights-7/10 Not Brooks's best, but still quite enjoyable. It's basically a parody on Robin Hood, which its jokes hit more than miss.

Silent Movie-8/10 First time I've seen it, and I like it. The title here explains it all: A silent movie about a crew of moviemakers making a silent movie for the Big Studios before the company Engulf and Devour takes over the studio. A simple plot, but still lots of fun.

The Twelve Chairs-7/10 Even the most underrated Brooks film has some appeal, because despite of the lack of laughs, its storyline with a twist ending brings it home. Russian clerk Ippolit (Ron Moody) tries to find his mother's fortune stored in the cushion of one of the 12 dining room chairs before Rev. Fyodor (Dom DeLuise) finds it for himself. Fyodor brings most of the laughs of this whole movie with his maniacal character and hilarious dialogue.

To Be Or Not To Be-10/10 A hilarious adaption of the old WWII story, as a Polish actor and his wife try to save themselves and the other actors of their theatre from Nazism cropping all over Poland.

Young Frankenstein-10/10 Great sendup to Frankenstein. Peter Boyle plays an excellent monster, but the best preformance comes from Gene Wilder as Dr. Frederick Frankenstein, who gains the inheritance of his father and takes the science of ressurrecting a being onto himself.

Despite the double dipping of Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein, the majority of this set is classic. So what are you waiting for? Don't be the Piss boy and buy this set! "It's good to be the king."

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!!, March 6, 2006
Like many of the others, I have been waiting for one of the movies in this set to come out on DVD...High Anxiety. I have no problem selling my copies of Blazing Saddles, History of the World Part 1, and Young Frankenstein since they will all be in the box set. Now, I'm as big a fan of Mel Brooks as anyone else, and would LOVE to see a box set come out with all of his films. I've read where some people are disappointed that the original Producers, Spaceballs and Life Stinks are not included in this set. I hope this isnt news to anyone, but the rights to those films are owned by MGM studios. These films are all released by FOX. Perhaps in the near future, MGM will release a box set, too, but until then, I'll be enjoying this set.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great collection, December 5, 2011
Amazon Customer (Mechanicsburg, PA) - See all my reviews
I finally got done watching the whole set and I am impressed. I am a pretty big Mel Brooks fans, but there were a few movies on here I had never seen, so it was nice to finally catch them. I won't break down the individual movies, because anyone buying this set is most likely already a Mel Brooks fan anyway.

The video quality is pretty good, especially if you consider when most of these movies were made. The quality is certainly better than any version released prior. The audio on some track can show its age, but it generally sounds good. Most movies, but not all, contain large amounts of bonus features including deleted scenes, outtakes, trailers, etc.

The case is large and will not fit on most dvd racks. The discs come in a large book with sleeves. These type of sleeves always worry me that I will scratch the disc taking out or putting them in. The collection also comes with a large book that tells the history of Mel Brooks and his movies. The book has some very interesting information that you probably haven't read anywhere else before.

One major complaint is that the collection doesn't include "The Producers", but that can be overlooked because of all the great movies it does have.

Overall, if you are a Mel Brooks fan, you must own this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Collection, even with missing films, October 5, 2011
This is the essential collection for any Mel Brooks film. With a few exceptions, this is the first time many of these films have been available in stunning Blu-Ray.

The only negatives of this collection is the lack of two films, The Producers and Dracula: Dead and Loving It. That being said, this is not a matter of some producer saying "Lets not add these films", so much as it is that the studio does not have the rights to these movies (MGM owns the rights to The Producers and Columbia owns Dracula: Dead and Loving It). Its a shame, but there's nothing that can be done. At least they added "To Be or Not to Be", which, while not directed by Mr. Brooks, does star him and his wife. Either way, Dracula was his worst film and isn't entirely missed except maybe from a completionist perspective, so really, only The Producers is missed.

Hopefully soon The Producers will be released on Blu Ray to put on display with this boxset, but until then, this is a great collection and for a great price! Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Things to like and to dislike about this set, September 19, 2009
This is a nine-disc set of most of the director-writer-actor's films under the control of MGM/Fox. Six of them - Silent Movie, History Of The World Part 1, High Anxiety, To Be or Not to Be, Twelve Chairs, and Robin Hood: Men with Tights - are making their Blu-ray debut in this set. The other three included films - Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, and Spaceballs have already gone Blu. This is exactly the same content as the standard DVD set The Mel Brooks Collection (Blazing Saddles / Young Frankenstein / Silent Movie / Robin Hood: Men in Tights / To Be or Not to Be / History of the World, Part 1 / The Twelve Chairs / High Anxiety) except that Spaceballs is in this Blu set and not in the Standard DVD set.

The discs are housed in a book structure with each disc going bare into a slot on a page - kind of like last year's Borzage Murnau set? With all of the scratched discs? In other words, this looks like another packaging nightmare from the folks at Fox/MGM who seem to keep doing this to their prestige sets to the great chagrin of consumers.

In summary, the content looks great here, and the price is more than reasonable, but the packaging I've seen does scare me at this point. The scary packaging is the only reason I'm subtracting one star at this point.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Necessa" for any true Brooks fan, March 31, 2006
James Kocher (Gainesville, FL) - See all my reviews
This collection definitely represents Brooks at his best. Most of these movies are more sophisticated satire, as opposed to goofball spoofs like some that were left out. At least with the movies made in the 70s, there is a recurrent theme of jazz and chess. There's at least one reference to one if not both of these in Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, and History of the World. It's been a long time since I've seen the others, so I don't remember if they have it, but I'm sure it's in there somewhere!

Shining among these discs has to be The Tweleve Chairs. I think it would be hard to classify this as a comedy. It really is more of a drama with some comedic moments. It's usually the most overlooked of his films. Set in post-revolution Russian, the story follows a con artist and a deposed nobleman in search of a chair his mother had hidden the family jewels. It also features another fine opening song penned by Mel.

I'm glad that it is getting its moment in the sun!

4.0 out of 5 stars Certain issues with dvd players, April 9, 2006
I love the movies but I have experienced problems with "Robin hood: men in tights" on one of my dvd players (one of the main ones) it wont play on it. Works fine on my computer dvd player and my other dvd player. I am not sure if I just got a bad one or what. I have found no way of contacting foxhome via email (apperently they dont care to hear from custermers.) I am unsure if I want to try to return it or not. I just thought I would let people know considering I have found no info on it anywhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really like this Mel Brooks collection, December 28, 2010
I bought this Mel Brooks Blue-ray collection for my husband as a gift. We have enjoyed watching three of the movies so far. Recently, we watched Spaceballs and as other reviewers have noted, the brand new DVD stopped mid movie. We took the DVD out and wiped it down, saw no signs of scratches. Placed it back in and had the same problem. We couldn't play approximately 2-3 chapters of the movie. We skipped ahead and the rest played fine. We have yet to watch 3 more of the movies and hope this will not be a problem. We enjoy all the extra documentaries and interesting facts about the movies. Mel Brooks is true comic genius and this is a great collection of his work!

3.0 out of 5 stars Wildly Erratic Mixed Bag Shows Mel Brooks' Peaks and Valleys, May 27, 2006
More than anything else, this comprehensive eight-disc set really shows the peaks and valleys of Mel Brooks' filmmaking career even as it unfortunately leaves out key films like the original 1968 version of "The Producers", an auspicious debut and now a comedy classic. Chronologically, this collection starts with the least known of Brooks' films, 1970's "The Twelve Chairs" and then continues with his twin comedy peaks from 1974, "Blazing Saddles" and my personal favorite, "Young Frankenstein". There is a noticeable artistic decline with 1976's "Silent Movie", 1977's "High Anxiety" and most notoriously, 1981's "The History of the World, Part I" - all of which, not coincidentally, have Brooks as star as well as director. There is a surprisingly faithful 1983 remake of Ernst Lubitsch's WWII classic, "To Be or Not to Be", where Brooks co-stars with his wife Anne Bancroft but does not direct. Lastly, there is 1993's "Robin Hood: Men in Tights" where Brooks goes back behind the camera. All provide certain virtues even if in some cases, they are hard to find, and at the very least, they show Brooks' genuine dexterity as a director.

Set in the Soviet Union circa 1927, "The Twelve Chairs" is actually a funny treasure-hunt fable about greed and bureaucracy that bears some influence of Lubitsch's classic "Ninotchka". Fresh from "The Producers" and bearing certain similarities to the buddy aspect of that film, Brooks lets the story versus the schitck dominate with Frank Langella perfectly venal as a small-time con man, Ron Moody as a desperate ex-nobleman and Dom DeLuise as an unctuous priest. Although some of the more politically incorrect humor has dated somewhat, "Blazing Saddles" is a still hilariously tasteless western spoof with very funny turns by Gene Wilder as the Waco Kid and Madeline Kahn as the Teutonic Titwillow, Lili Von Schtupp. In vivid black-and-white, "Young Frankenstein" is an almost perfect parody of the classic 1930's Universal horror films with Wilder and Kahn again in peak form, as well as solid comedy work from Marty Feldman as Igor, Cloris Leachman as Nurse Blucher, Peter Boyle as the monster and Gene Hackman as a blind monk.

Filled with guest star cameos and physical comedy inspired by Chaplin and Keaton, "Silent Movie" basically describes the execution of this fitfully funny film about three Hollywood cohorts trying to revive their careers by producing the first silent movie in forty years. The Hitchcock-inspired "High Anxiety" and the free-for-all hodgepodge "History of the World, Part I" both have big laughs and hilarious, scene-stealing women - Kahn and Leachman in both, Bea Arthur as a Roman unemployment clerk in the latter - but not enough attractions despite clever premises that are woefully underdeveloped. With a strong cast including Bancroft, Charles Durning and Jose Ferrer, "To Be or Not to Be" has a comparatively solid storyline in detailing the efforts of a Polish acting troupe to thwart the Nazis. It's just too bad that Lubitsch's 1942 original with Jack Benny and Carole Lombard is so much better. Even though Cary Elwes does a sincere job in the title role, "Robin Hood: Men in Tights" seems to take more inspiration from Monty Python than Brooks, but the result still doesn't get above mediocre despite some funny lines.

The extras are minimal on the individual DVDs and there is sadly no special feature related to Brooks' career exclusive to this box set. There are making-of featurettes with "Young Frankenstein", "To Be or Not to Be" and "Robin Hood: Men in Tights". There is an hour-long interview with Brooks on "Blazing Saddles", and only "Young Frankenstein" has a feature-length commentary track. Unfortunately, none of these extras are specific to the collection. Unless you're a diehard Brooks fanatic, it is probably best to buy the special editions of "Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein" DVDs individually. Watching these films sequentially, one appreciates what a grand comic talent Brooks is, but the set also highlights how inconsistent he can be.

5.0 out of 5 stars A laugh a minute, June 6, 2011
If you love Mel Brooks, you'll love this collection. His greatest hits with all the extras. While it won't fit on your usual media rack, it is still a must have collection. You'll die laughing as you see him in all of his glory.

‹ Previous | 1 2 389 | Next ›