5.0 out of 5 stars I have had every shoe ever made... almost
Published on April 3, 2012 by Dude

2.0 out of 5 stars Not enough bottom protection for me (size 11)
Not enough bottom protection for me (size 11)

I'm a fairly neutral pronator and mid-foot striker. I'm slightly overweight for my height according to BMI. I switched to Brooks about ten years ago after having tried most of what is out there that is reasonably priced. I normally run in Brooks Adrenaline GTS and other more conventional (non light weight) shoes. I...
Published 23 months ago by MysticJaguar

5.0 out of 5 stars I have had every shoe ever made... almost, April 3, 2012
This review is from: Brooks Men's PureFlow Lightweight Running Shoes (Apparel)
I am a guy shoe nut... Not sure why. I weight 225 pounds and am 6 foot tall. I am a jogger at 9 minute miles. I have been running and walking for decades and have had probably 35-40 different model shoes over the years.... From cheapos to Hokas. The Brooks Pureflow is by far the best shoe I have bought. It is extremely comfortable and the 4mm drop fits my foot just great. I have tried Vibram Five Fingers and while I like them for the first mile or so after that I really need some padding. The Pureflows give me that small amount of padding and drop that suits me fine. No shoe works for everyone but you owe it to yourself to try on a pair of these Pureflows. I also have the Brooks PureCadence but actually like the Pureflow better and it costs even less than the Cadence... Just my $0.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shoes, January 25, 2012
This review is from: Brooks Men's PureFlow Lightweight Running Shoes (Apparel)
I bought them at local running store just it's hard for me to get unknown shoes without trying them first. Some are to narrow, some opposite. Since I've switched to minimalist running and messed up my feet due to quick transition, I was looking for shoe with relatively flat platform and still enough cushioning to handle asphalt trials.
I've checked Saucony Kinvara before this one and they were to narrow so after deep searching I decided to give Brooks a try.
They fit great, very lightweight, breathable, and I think their name fits great to them - the really let you feel the flow.
Keep in mind - if you are heel striker DO NOT switch to shoes like this one right away to run full distance, unless you want to slide down on banister instead walking on stairs, when you leave in 2 floor house. Calves WILL HURT. I run about 100 miles/month and for first 1 month I recommend not more than 20% of distance to be done wearing minimalist shoes. If you are not experienced runner drop it down to 5-10%. Patience will pay dividends. Don't rush.
Absolutely great shoes for mid-foot or front foot strikers. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my transition to a mid-foot strike, April 6, 2012
This review is from: Brooks Men's PureFlow Lightweight Running Shoes (Apparel)
I'm a bigger guy: 5-11, 210. I run for fun, weight management, and to burn off stress, not to win races. I was wearing Mizunos for a while and loved them, but then I read Danny Dreyer's ChiRunning book and knew I was going to need new shoes. I tried on everything Mizuno had but just didn't like any of their lighter shoes, and they didn't have much without a high heel.

I tried these on and loved them from the first. The 5mm drop is a drastic change from the 11mm drop I had before. It felt like I was running leaning back or something the first time I went out. But after a few runs I got used to it and have run faster and smoother than ever after the change.

They're light, super-comfortable, and with padding in all the right places now that I've stopped landing on my heel. If you're a heel striker, these aren't for you. But if you're moving to a mid/fore-foot strike like I am, I highly recommend them. I'll surely be buying a second pair once I wear the current ones out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice entry into minimalist shoes, November 21, 2012
This review is from: Brooks Men's PureFlow Lightweight Running Shoes (Apparel)
I had been running in Brooks' Ravenna series for about 2 years. While training for my first marathon, I did the math on shoe weights. Calculated my feet would lift about 7,000 pounds less over the marathon distance by going to the Pure Flow. I bought them about 6 weeks before the marathon so I could transition to the lower heel drop. I should have done it sooner! I was in the peak of my training and the heel drop placed stress on an already stressed body. I would suggest trying such a shoe at a lighter point in a training cycle if I were to make such a change again.

That said, these are a terrific shoe! Light, good cushion and support, but much more natural than the traditional supportive running shoe. These shoes really reward running with a proper mid-foot strike. When your form is right, these shoes make you want to fly!

The only negative about the shoe for me is they are a bit wide for my narrow feet. I can feel my foot move around a bit when I corner. Hindsight what it is, I will order a half-size smaller next time. This is the only shoe in the Pure line I have had this issue.

I'm very impressed with the life of the shoe given its light weight. I have 285 miles on my first pair (I am 5'9" and 175 lbs, 8-9 min miles) and they are still feeling good! By 300 miles on Ravennas, I start to feel a little shin pain telling me it's time for a new pair. So far so good with the Flows!

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST RUNNING SHOE IN DECADES, August 19, 2013
With over forty years of running, I can say that Brooks PureFlow is not only the best pair of shoes I have ever worn, they're addictive. It's almost like putting a little extra octane in the old fart's tank. Unexpected longer and faster mileage !

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my racing shoe for this year, February 20, 2012
This review is from: Brooks Men's PureFlow Lightweight Running Shoes (Apparel)
I've been wearing Brooks for 30 years. I replace my shoes each year after training and racing in our local 5K and 10K races as well as two half marathons and the Marine Corps Marathon. Just wanted to add to the other reviewers (which I found very helpful and is why I was willing to try the shoe), that this is everything they have said. Light shoe that puts a bounce in your step. Already tried them on the local bike trail and they felt great.

I have training shoes and a racing shoe. This is my 2012 racing shoe. I like a pair that feel fast but also had decent support and cushion. This is it. Can't wait for the races to start now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for forefoot-strikers, December 23, 2011
This review is from: Brooks Men's PureFlow Lightweight Running Shoes (Apparel)
As a forefoot striker, it's hard to find good shoes. If you want something with some cushioning up front (where you foot lands), the options thin out even more. These shoes have a neutral rise (so the heel is not raised up), and a good amount of cushioning up front, so your forefoot won't get bruised up after a run. These shoes feel great! I tried Newtons, Brooks, Saucony, and Nike before settling on these. The Sauconys were better, but they also cost $140. These lose a couple points for the funky color, but that will keep you from using them outside their intended purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good, responsive shoe, February 15, 2013
This review is from: Brooks Men's PureFlow Lightweight Running Shoes (Apparel)
I enjoy running in minimalist shoes. I average about 20 miles per week and mix in cardio, yoga, and cross training. I am 5'10 and 145 lbs with size 11 in running shoes. Just to give the weight/height ratio in case you are interested for comparison. These shoes are not made for heavier runners or for heel strikers. These are tailor made for mid-foot strikers.

Why I like these better than the Pure Connect (PC) is that the PC have an odd roll to them. I cannot run outdoors with them as I have nearly rolled my ankle several times going around corners. The issue is that the PC have this rounded bump just below the big toe joint and then the toe box kicks up sharply. The issue is that cornering in those causes to much lateral weight, and the shoe cannot handle lateral movement and shifting. Instead the material gives a bit and you find the top of the shoe moving over the sole. Not good. On a treadmill they are fine.

Now enough of my gripe. The Pure Flow (PF) have a much more level sole. There is not a lot of heel cushioning, so I highly urge heel strikers to look elsewhere. There is a nice amount of arch support, so I would recommend mid to high arch runners would be able to use these without extra arch supports. (In most instances). Lateral support is better than many minimalist shoes, and I don't worry about rolling my ankle anymore! The toe box is kicked up a bit, but not overly so. The tongue is very nicely designed also. Laces are a good design as well, they have a spiral shape on the end to keep them nicely tied without having to double knot.

I alternate these and the Brooks Men's Launch Running Shoe. The Launch is still my go to, but these are very good. I used to alternate with the Saucony Kinvara, but no longer am I interested in the Kinvara! These aren't quite as minimal as Kinvara, but they're pretty light.

Great for indoor, treadmill running, or outdoor pavement, gravel, packed earth running.

Finally, they look really freakin' cool! And they come in green! (And I got them on sale $59 from Brooks via Amazon.com and didn't pay shipping because I got two pair).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shoes, December 7, 2012
This review is from: Brooks Men's PureFlow Lightweight Running Shoes (Apparel)
The Brooks Pureflow shoes are very light, but with enough cushion for comfort on long runs. I like the flatter approach, and the style. I use them both indoors on a treadmill and outside, and they function well on both. The sole is firm enough to eat up imperfections in the road, and well ventilated.

They are good for about 250 miles, but I have already resigned a pair to casual wear with jeans at a little over 200 miles.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, September 28, 2012
This review is from: Brooks Men's PureFlow Lightweight Running Shoes (Apparel)
Switched to the minimalist New Balance 730's a year ago and all my knee, foot, and hamstring issues disappeared. Was walking on pavement mostly, started running again in the spring on smooth trails but the NB730's just don't have enough cushioning for rocky trails, I could do it but really slowed me down avoiding rocks. So I reluctantly started searching for something with more cushion but with a minimal drop. Found these, so far so good. You never know until you put in the miles but have had no problems my first week of runs. These don't compare in comfort to the sock like NB730's but are a good compromise for a more cushioned trail running experience. New Balance Men's M730 Running Shoe