4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for a cheap unit. No fatal flaws.
The Good: Nice fit and finish. (This unit is the WALNUT one.) It looks much nicer than what I was expecting for 200 clams. The hinge is sturdy; I don't feel like the weight of the door will do any damage to the hinge. The wood joints look well-joined. The unit is QUIET. The unit uses dipswitches to change the frequency of winding cycles.

The "Meh"...
Published on January 23, 2012 by Matt Pavelko

2.0 out of 5 stars Long Term User Review
Published 14 months ago by JK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for a cheap unit. No fatal flaws., January 23, 2012
Matt Pavelko (Miami, Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quad Watch Winder (Watch)

The "Meh" (Indifferent): The felt on the inside is thin, but plush. Of course, it won't be getting much wear and tear either. The "sponges" that your watch band goes around? They fit a little too snugly into the rotating arms. I am afraid I'll damage the arms when inserting or removing the watch sponge.

The Ugly: The power connector on the back is a little loose. If you pull down on the cable a little bit, it'll break its electrical connection and stop rotating. There is no way to do a modification or repair yourself without really tearing into the whole unit. (I don't see any screws on the back to open the unit up.) I am contemplating sending the unit back to get a different one that has a good electrical connection between the power port on the winder and the plug from the AC adapter. (Of course, probably EVERY ONE of these was manufactured using the same parts, and I'll have the same electrical issue with it too...) I don't plan on moving it anytime soon, so it shouldn't lose power.

The "This might drive some people crazy": When restarting from a loss of power, watch 1 rotated in the opposite direction of watches 2-4. Yes, it is still getting wound. I switched each watch to counterclockwise for 1 cycle, then switched them BACK to alternating. Now they all go the same direction.

This item warrants 4 stars for its fit, finish, and smooth operation. The electrical connection will only annoy me if it loses power because of a light breeze.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but in my experience the life is limited to 3-4 years, May 6, 2013
David Wm. Boone (Atlanta, Georgia, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quad Watch Winder (Watch)
My spouse gave me the Brookstone two watch box for Father's Day three years ago. I have used it without trouble until this February, when the right hand winder would not spin but you could hear the motor running. Last weekend the left hand quit. I carefully pulled the felt panels off of walls of the interior, then lifted the watch holders off the rotation shafts. Unscrewing the base plate and carefully lifting the surface, the defect was quickly apparent. There are two independent motors and rotation shafts. These watch boxes use a rubber belt to connect the motor to the spinner fly wheel. It appears that the rubber simply oxidized and split. Both belts were broken, lying in the base of the box. We have a full service electrical house nearby and I hope to simply replace the belts.

The box is nice, heavy wood, with a smart black felt interior. It would be a shame to discard it because of a simple rubber belt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quad Watch Winder, August 18, 2012
This review is from: Quad Watch Winder (Watch)
I had purchased another model of watch winder and one of the components was not turning anymore. My husband had 3 watches and I had one that needed this motion. This model not only solved the problem but looks very nice on his bureau. The wood grain matches our furniture and looks more expensive than it really was.

2.0 out of 5 stars Long Term User Review, June 15, 2013
This review is from: Quad Watch Winder (Watch)
I bought this winder from Brookstone with little expectation. The winder performed as advertised for the entire time the winder was under warranty. Each winder module failed one at a time within a month or two aftet the warranty expired and upon calling Brookstone I was informed that the winder was not repairable and they could not supply replacement motors either for me to replace. So, if you want a reasonably priced relatively inexpensive winder that you can expect to last for about 2 years, this is a great winder. Buy the extended warranty because you can be sure that all 4 motors will fail and hopefully within year 2 of the extended warranty. Mine didn't and after year 2, i now have to throw it out. But i guess for the price i got my money's worth. It is too bad i couldn't get replacement motors and fix it myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent quality, October 14, 2012
This review is from: Quad Watch Winder (Watch)
Overall, I feel quite satisfied about this winder. Well designed, works as described. Very quiet. You have to put your ear on it and listen carefully if you want to hear how the motors work. I put it in my bedroom.
I dont know how it works in long run, but knowing the quality of Brookstone products, I am going to order another one for my remaining watches. This winder worths its every cent.
And one more thing: it comes with 110-220 v universal adapter, so I did not need to buy a converter. I am using it in Europe.

3.0 out of 5 stars Can anyone build one of these?, May 8, 2014
This review is from: Quad Watch Winder (Watch)
Can anyone build one of these that actually works for under $700?

Okay, I own heavy watches - gold Presidents and Sea Dwellers. But how difficult is it to design and manufacture a product that will rotate without issues? It's a simple mechanism.

Issues like eventually beginning to make moaning and grinding noises? Or the four modules being out of sync?

Sounds like a trivial issue. But it means that one or more of them are already beginning to fail.

I can't take it apart to inspect or repair it, but I guarantee it has plastic gearing. And frankly there is no excuse for using plastic in a product designed for constant duty, advertised to operate well with any watch.

Yes. There are super-expensive winders, and if I can afford such expensive watches why don't I have one of those?

Good question.

But I bought this one. And I can tell already that it will be in the trash bin within six months.

There it is.

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm 0 for 2 buying these., April 10, 2014
This review is from: Quad Watch Winder (Watch)
I have Brookstone's single-watch winder and love it. When my watch collection expanded, I turned to Brookstone again, this time for the quad-winder. I bought my first one a month ago, and the 2 motors on the left-hand side died after a few weeks. I exchanged it for another, and motor all the way to the left side is defective straight out of the box: it is VERY noisy, and is also crooked.

I'm shopping elsewhere. Brookstone doesn't have these figured out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets the job done, April 3, 2014
This review is from: Quad Watch Winder (Watch)
I bought this quad winder after seeing Brookstone's two watch winder in a store. For $50 more you get two more winders. It's a little on the large side, but other than that there is nothing I can think of not to like. Most importantly, for me, is is virtually silent. The winder is in the bedroom but I do not hear it at all. I place a high value on that quality. The watches are easy to secure in the winder. The strap fits over a small cushion which then slides into a receptacle and that's all there is to it. The switches to set the number of turns per day are dip-switches, so are impossible to set without reference to the small user guide that comes with the unit. The switch that sets the direction of rotation is a rocker switch, but again, there is no indication on the unit of which setting means what. Lastly, the on-off switch for each winding station is a push-button and there is no indication of whether the winding station is on or off. Those quibbles aside, this unit looks nice and, most importantly, keeps four automatic watches secure and wound without fuss. I'm very happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality look and quiet effectiveness, March 16, 2013
This review is from: Quad Watch Winder (Watch)
Loads of speed settings and very quiet device. Looks very high quality. I have a variety of watch movements that aren't found in the Orbita recommended speed settings for the watches so I had to play around with the settings a lot to get my watches to stay or slowly wind up or down not overly winding or severely under winding them. For the price I recommend it and if you have 4 automatics and hate that they always need to be reset this is perfect and can extend the wind down time signifficantly.

Good looking felt material inside and soft rubberized watch pillows that can be a little difficult to pull out of their slots at times. Pillows seem like they would be very durable and not lose their cushioning. I have small wrists and the pillows can accommodate my 6.5 inch wrists.

Quad Watch Winder