4.0 out of 5 stars no table of contents or index in Kindle version...BUT-, November 12, 2010
This review is from: Brot: Bread Notes From A Floury German Kitchen (Kindle Edition)
I got this a few days ago and was bummed to find, after purchasing, that there is no index or table of contents. So I am going through the whole thing and making notes and placing bookmarks myself. It would be nice if both were required for all Amazon books. And a thorough description written by Amazon would be appreciated. Amazon relies on customers to do the work they won't do.

But I must say that I am finding that, as a long time bread baker, this is well worth having. I have played with artisanal breads, as well as American breads, and the instructions for the slashing tops of loaves totally changes the beauty and shape of my loaves. The sourdough starter and method for drying the starter are wonderful. So even though I wish that the description was better and it was easier to access the recipes, this is a real find.

I am including screen shots from the Kindle version so you can see what I have mentioned.

ABOUT KINDLE BOOKS:
I have purchased a few Kindle books and probably won't buy more. The first reason is no color. The second- I thought the books would be very intuitive and easy to navigate- not so. None have had an index and only some have a table of contents. I rely heavily on an index when I search multiple cookbooks for a specific recipe. I can search on the Kindle, but it shows every page where the word is mentioned- not the location of the recipe. A real pain. It also just isn't the same as leafing through and glancing to see what you are looking for- it is one page at a time to look on a Kindle. Lastly, the books are just boring compared to the real thing. The convenience of having a couple good cookbooks on my iPad to study is nice, but I won't be replacing all my cookbooks with Kindle versions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting recipes for experienced bakers, February 14, 2011
I agree with the first reviewer - in spite of a missing index and some minor flaws, like spelling mistakes, this book has a recipe collection that's worth the money. I baked the first two breads, "Korntaler" and "Pain au Levain de Sarrasin", and they turned out great. The book is not for beginners, though, you should know the basic modern bread making techniques (see Peter Reinhart's books, and others), and modify recipes accordingly (using steam, for example!).

This book comes as e-book only, but generally I prefer print versions of cookbooks. Making notes and changes in e-book recipes (and viewing them later) is cumbersome and rather unpractical, and I normally scribble my cookbooks full of remarks and observations.

I might add that I had the earlier free download version of Nils Schoener's book, but thought it appropriate to show my appreciation for his work by spending some money on the Kindle version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Taught me most of what I know about baking with rye!, March 25, 2012
Like the previous reviewer I know Nils from his blog and bought his ebook to show my appreciation of his skill, knowledge and kindness to everyone in giving free advice and support to would be bakers. This is a wonderful distillation of the best recipes and thoughts from his blog and I still bake his breads today. Definitely worth a read and more importantly, his recipes work beautifully ! Thankyou Nils!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, February 27, 2013
Would like a little bit more explanations on the basics, but i do understand this book is not for making your first loaf.

5.0 out of 5 stars TABLE OF CONTENTS, February 12, 2013
I agree with the other reviewers that this is a very helpful book on bread baking. You may access the table of contents & skip around among the recipes & appendices by reading the Kindle book through a browser. Use the Kindle Cloud Reader to open the book on your desktop & enable the table of contents scroll bar on the left. Only remaning problem is an inability to print the recipes. I confess to keeping my cookbooks in hardcopy only, when available.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book and affordable, January 30, 2013
Great recipes, pics, and information on European breads. Would be good to have an index, but you can work around it.

Rate and Discover Movies