Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Brother BU-100CL Belt Unit for HL-4040CN, HL-4070CDW Series - Retail Packaging
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on January 24, 2012
A broken belt unit can lead to bit of a clean-up job inside your printer, so replacing the belt unit is for peace. Changing the belt unit in the Brother duplexing color laser model HL4040CDN simple. With the power switched to "Off", open the front of the printer as if changing toner. Slide out the drum unit until it stops. Remove the drum unit and set it on a clean paper on a table top. Lift the old belt unit out. It lifts from this green tab at the front of the belt unit. It weighs only a couple of pounds so it is easy to lift up and out from the printer. Replacing is the reverse of the process. Note: If you are changing out the excess toner box, it sits right below the belt unit, and that is just one more step to replace. I changed out the excess toner box while changing out my belt unit because it was about due, too. Afterwards the instructions walked me through the procedure to reset the belt unit counter via the on-printer menu. The procedure took 9 minutes in total to change both.

The price is about $25 less via Amazon--delivered--than it is to buy in the local Office Depot.

UPDATE 11/6/2013
We have gone 37,000 pages printed thus far in two years. We are on the original drum. There is no toning, and no dots or streaks appearing on the image. The drum is behaving well thus far.

Amazon's ordering process was easy. Order processing was by the next day. And delivery took 2 days--to Hawaii. And we had selected Super Saver Shipping which was free.

21 months later and we are being advised by the printer to change the belt unit again. $94 is steep; however, having read of several other experiences with broken belt units it is perhaps wise to change it. I've managed to stretch my usage by about 30,000 pages. That might be worth considering.

While toner costs are strictly 1.5 cents per page in our use, the ancillary costs are adding up. So while ink printing may be more expensive; those new HP full page width ink cartridges can become cost-competitive since inkjet printers have far fewer parts of wear as compared to their laser counterparts. Your mileage may vary.
on October 11, 2013
I was happy to find that Amazon had the lowest price on this OEM Brother belt unit. The replacement was easy and took about 5 minutes with the included instructions. Once I closed up the printer and started printing again everything worked perfect. Two things to be aware of when changing the belt unit: 1. Take a can of compressed air and blow out the dust and toner residue from the interior of the printer, and 2. Make sure you follow the instructions to reset the END OF LIFE message for the belt unit as it does not disappear on its own, but that is printer related and has nothing to do with this purchase (just some advice).
on May 26, 2013
My Brother MFC9840CDW printer started flashing the error message that this unit needed replacing, so I ordered it. But knowing that many printer companies (HP, Brother among them) base such error messages purely on page count and never on actual need, I have held off from installing it. It's been 3 months now, and still my printer is working very well with the original belt unit in place. I consider my printer use to be medium, I use it in my home office and I would say my average monthly page count is between 300 and 600 each month, so if your printer usage is like mine, buy this unit when the printer starts to flash the error message but don't install it until you absolutely have to.
on May 17, 2014
I could not see how exactly to get the printer back together and the instructions could use a better diagram showing how to lift the catch to replace the toner rack. But it only took me a few minutes to figure it out. The transfer belt works fine. The printer does not reset the transfer belt counter when you replace it; you have to do that manually. Odd, considering the printer does it automatically for so many other items.
on April 30, 2016
I bought this belt unit eight months ago. The unit worked fine for a while but recently I noticed chunks of orange color rubber material scattered all over the conveyor belt periphery inside the printer. This disintegrated material came from inside the unit. Puzzling as it were, the original unit did not have this problem at all. The unit is not cheap and the return merchandise window is only one month on this unit so I cannot return it now. Advise to think twice before buying this.
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2014
One reviewer stated that his/her belt unit did not arrive in the original box. Mine arrived in the OEM box shown. The install directions were very clear. The reset instructions were not exactly for my model (an old MFC-9840CDW) so talked about a +/- button while I have a "Menu" button. Regardless, with less than a minute of trial and error, I found the correct reset page and then hit "OK" twice as instructed. In the recent past, I've been getting black edges on both sides when printing duplex. Now, after printing just one page, I seem to be getting less black on the back edges and none on the front edges. The worst problem is that I ordered one belt unit, but received two orders, each with different order numbers, in the same large box (ie, each belt unit was in its own individual OEM carton, both were in one large box, and the large box also had two invoices). With a few clicks, I was able to print a free return label for the second drum unit.
on February 5, 2014
I have had this printer for 7 years and I have replaced all of the serviceable parts that are in the printer. This product worked well and I still love my Brother printer. I used to go through a new HP printer every couple of years and I would spend $50 a month on ink.
on August 29, 2011
I was skeptical of purchasing this product. I even contacted Brother to make sure it was going to be easy to install. This belt failed on a three year old printer that gets a lot of use, and we had been told that it might be cheaper just getting a new printer. We were told that the parts were too costly but after some research and contacting Brother about the install, I checked for the part and found the best price on Amazon. What would you do - spend $89 on this part or $300 on a new printer. We are pleased that the part was exactly as Brother described, very, very easy to install. We hope we are good for another 3 years!
on September 16, 2013
As of this writing, Brother said the old one can be sent back for recycling / refurbishment. Just like the toner cartridges. Go to their web page and print off a mailing label and USPS takes it. Nice.
on November 16, 2015
Did not get what I expected when I purchased this product. What I mean is I'd purchased the Drum unit and it was less than a year old when copies started to go bad again. I purchased this unit as it had a lot of life on it and expected to see my printed copies to clear up this did not occur. I think my new drum unit may not have been as good as expected.