5.0 out of 5 stars Her's what my wife said ...
I bought this Brother machine to replace an old Singer machine that wore out it's gears. The Brother CE-5000 is a great machine. We bought it refurbished and it looks new. Works great; really can't say anything bad about it.

Published on March 12, 2009 by T. Di Nino

2.0 out of 5 stars loved it - until problems with the tension
Published on February 4, 2010 by Mark Twain

5.0 out of 5 stars Her's what my wife said ..., March 12, 2009
This review is from: Brother CE-5000PRW - 50 Stitch Sewing Machine

However, one advantage is also a disadvantage if you are used to an older, and heavier machine. The Brother is lightweight and easy to move around, store, etc ... a good thing. It also doesn't stay put when you are wrestling heavy materials around to get it in position to sew. This takes some getting used to. The old machine was built into a table so I may have to build a platform to hold this machine in place. We recommend it as a good machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy sewing, June 8, 2009
Mrs_T-NY (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brother CE-5000PRW - 50 Stitch Sewing Machine
I'm not an expert sewer. "Good" is even pushing it - so I need a lot of help. I really like the auto threader and one-step buttonholes. For practice, I have a trunk load of patterns, fabrics and husband's old shirts (or at least I tell him they're old) - for that this machine is quite easy and fun to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great machine for the money, February 15, 2010
This review is from: Brother CE-5000PRW - 50 Stitch Sewing Machine
I have sewn for 30+ years, on and off. But my old machine was just that - old. Nothing fancy either, so I looked around and fell for a really expensive Singer with tons of stitches and every bell and whistle. I was so excited! Until I tried to actually sew on the thing. It was near impossible to adjust the tension for lightweight fabrics - which is half of what I work with. The machine was too persnickety for anything lighter than cotton broad cloth, and jammed even on that. After two jams, the timing was all off and back it went.

Disappointed I searched again, but this time I was not willing to spend a small fortune. This machine does not disappoint though. It has enough features to get your project done, easy-to-use and works on every type of fabric I've tried so far - without changing the tension.

The drop in bobbin is new to me, but I soon came to find that to be one of THE best features. On my old machine and the one I returned, the front load bobbin was tricky getting in. In fact on the pricey Singer that was one of the worst parts of setting up to sew. Although that one had a low bobbin warning and the Brother does not, you can see if the thread is low through the clear plate - and the Brother will not make you crazy by stopping every few stitches to tell you your bobbin is low.

I would give this machine 5 stars, but it really seems more suited to a beginner - at the price, it's a great starter. I doubt you could quilt with it as small as the opening is. And the speed is a little hard to control - I like the on-machine speed control of the more expensive models and did not notice this one lacked that when I bought it.

Other features better machines have are storage that opens while on the machine and a reverse you don't have to hold.

How much more do you pay for all that on the better machines though? I guess it's a moot question if that machine can't sew your blouse.

Overall, I'm really happy with this thing. I'm impressed with this quality and funtionality in this price range.

Here's a tip, if you do get loopy stitches - try unloading and replacing the bobbin, then turn the machine off and on. It may look like it's in there fine, but a few wraps of thread may have wound wrong. In all the sewing I've done, I had that loopy thing one time, and that solved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase!, September 7, 2009
H. Cazares (Baltimore, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brother CE-5000PRW - 50 Stitch Sewing Machine
We purchased a refurbished CE-5000PRW, at the beginning I wasn't sure about not buying a brand new one but after reading reviews and realizing the guarantee was the same as for a new machine we decided to buy it.
After we got it we have not had a single complain, it was a gift for my wife and she loves it, like some other people say, the automatic Threading System is a little tricky at the beginning but once you get it it works great.

Bottom line it was a great purchase, the vendor was efficient, the delivery was fast and without any problem, I recommend it 100%

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, August 19, 2009
This review is from: Brother CE-5000PRW - 50 Stitch Sewing Machine
I absolutely LOVE this machine! It is so lightweight and easy to move around, yet is sturdy enough to easily sew through multiple layers of fabric and batting. I have been quilting potholders with it, and it works like a dream. The owner's manual that comes with it is full of great information, especially if you are a beginner. There are some areas in the manual that could use a little help, but in general it is pretty great. The automatic needle threader is fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Machine for a novice, March 3, 2009
This review is from: Brother CE-5000PRW - 50 Stitch Sewing Machine
I ordered this machine to do alterations. I have not sewn in years. I never did figure out to use the self threader, however I ended up manually threading the needle. I have used the machine a few times and so far I'm very pleased with it. As I said I have not used a sewing machine in years and so far have found this sewing machine to be very simple to use. I highly recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars loved it - until problems with the tension, February 4, 2010
This review is from: Brother CE-5000PRW - 50 Stitch Sewing Machine
I got it as a gift, and was thrilled, I sewed hot/cold corn bags all weekend for family. Then I went to sew an apron, and I started seeing loops in the thread. I tried to adjust the tension, but no matter what I set it to, it didn't change anything. I returned the machine and got another thinking it was a fluke - since all reviews have been positive. After sewing an apron for my daughter without any problems, I have started sewing my own.. full of with thread loops. :( again, the tension has stopped working.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BARGAIN, November 19, 2010
This review is from: Brother CE-5000PRW - 50 Stitch Sewing Machine
Performs wonderfully. Does it all. Perfect from day one and still going strong. Very pleasant surprise given the low price.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this!, September 14, 2010
RowiesMama (Savannah, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brother CE-5000PRW - 50 Stitch Sewing Machine
I love my sewing machine. bottom line! It does more than i need it to at this point in life... its easy to use!

4.0 out of 5 stars Purchased as a gift, February 1, 2010
This review is from: Brother CE-5000PRW - 50 Stitch Sewing Machine
After previously purchasing a Brother Sewing Machine for my personal use more than a year ago, I just knew I couldn't go wrong shopping for another one through Amazon when I learned of my daughter's need for one. She lives in Florida so it had to be shipped to a different address. The delivery was timely and the product arrived in tact. My daughter has only just begun to use it for mending items she couldn't bring herslf to throw out. Now, after having been repaired, those items have been given 'new life' for either personal wear or to donate. She is practicing with every feature in preparation for making her own daughter's prom formal this year. My thanks to Amazon for carrying such top-of-the-line products.

Brother CE-5000PRW - 50 Stitch Sewing Machine