5.0 out of 5 stars Just a beginner
Published on December 20, 2010 by Don S.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke 3x in 1st year
On the plus side, this machine was easy to set up and understand. I quickly made 5-6 garments before a sudden bobbin jam stopped me cold. Even with simple, cotton-based apparel sewing it is now getting repaired for the THIRD time for this bobbin jam. Next time it breaks, it's going in the garbage and I'm buying a better model.

Brother, I realize it's a lower...
Published on July 20, 2012 by sfariel

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a beginner, December 20, 2010
This review is from: Brother CP-7500 Computerized Sewing Machine (Kitchen)
I'm a railroad engineer and have never sewn before, but wanted to repair some work clothes. I knew I wanted a machine that would be EASY TO USE, do more than just straight or zigzag stitching, have a good reputation, and not cost a lot of money. I did a lot of research and decided upon this Brother CP7500, and I'm sure glad I did. It is so easy to use I can't believe it--20 minutes after it arrived I was repairing my jacket. The instructions are easy to understand (there are even diagrams on the machine) and make it easy to wind bobbins, thread the machine, and to sew different stitches--just pick one and the computer sets everything up. Stitch settings are easily adjustable, and this machine is very quiet and smooth.

This sewing machine has several features that make it easy to use, even for me, but the ones I like the most are:
1. slider control for speed--super slow to super fast.
2. "automatic" threader--line up the thread, push the lever, and the needle is threaded.
3. drop-in bobbin with see-thru lid--just drop it in, follow the arrows and go.

I have sewn (repaired) flannel shirts, nylon jacket, denim jacket, and cotton duck overalls--and not had any problems with thread tension, threads bunching up, or jams. I am very pleased with this Brother CP7500 and would recommend it to my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quilter's Machine, February 27, 2011
J. Blake "jlb" (Fairport, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brother CP-7500 Computerized Sewing Machine (Kitchen)
If you like to sew quilts, consider this machine. Very easy to learn and use. I used a very basic machine for years and thought that was just fine. But after using this machine I realize how easier my crafting would have been. Self threading, bobbin that you can see, more than enough stitch options, quiet, great accessories for quilting, cover -- I could go on and on. But truly, a great machine at a very good price. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this machine, September 14, 2010
This review is from: Brother CP-7500 Computerized Sewing Machine (Kitchen)
I must say I'm very impressed with this machine. Very easy to use, love the auto threader and auto start/stop sewing feature. Bobbin is super easy, threading is super ease and there are a multitude of options to enhance a garment. As far as I'm concerned you can't go wrong with this sewing machine and the price is very, very reasonable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first sewing machine, August 28, 2011
This review is from: Brother CP-7500 Computerized Sewing Machine (Kitchen)
I bought this machine after reading many reviews about the various machines. I was between the Brother CP-7500, Brother CS6000i, and the Singer 7442.

My Experience:
I had used one sewing machine before (beyond middle school sewing class which I remember none of)which was my mother's machine, much different than I was looking to get as I wanted a more modern sewing machine that was somewhat computerized.

My Goals:
- I wanted to try sewing as a hobby, but didn't know that I would use it consistently. I knew I at the very least wanted to use it for small projects and clothing fixes or alterations.
- I didn't want the cheapest machine out there, but I also didn't need the most expensive features.
- I wanted it to do the basics easily, but leave room for me to learn and grow

The machine has nicely fit my needs. I was able to thread it (self-threading bobbin is really a life saver - I spent forever trying to figure this out on my mother's machine!) and start sewing rather quickly to fix the pile of problem clothes we had. I have also been able to try a few projects. I only had trouble with one project where the layers I was trying to sew through were quite thick and the material was stretchy. After reading more, I might have been using the wrong pressure foot and needle to make this work properly - so I expect this was user error more than machine! I have been able to sew buttons back on pants, fix dress straps, create table runners, and more.

The pros:
- Easy to get set up and running quickly with. The instructions were quite good for someone like me who really didn't even know where to start.
- Does all the basics quite well, and comes with a lot of extra parts (pressure foots, extra bobbins, seam ripper, quilting extender, etc) that usually cost a lot to get after the fact.
- Has a lot of stitches, and they seem to work quite well! Expecting to have some fun with this machine...
- The feed dogs go down so you can do things like buttons or other sewing needs where you don't want the material to move.

The cons:
- This machine requires special bobbins that are taller than most. I went to the local Jo-Ann fabrics store and it appears they do not sell them. I'll be buying them online - but in general Brother sewing machines seem to be much harder to find parts for in the local stores - the focus is on Singer machines there.
- The LED light is really not very bright. I have to have ample extra lighting in my work area to see what I am doing, especially when working with same colored material and thread.

Overall I think this sewing machine is a great buy. It's a modern machine but still feels well built and reliable. It fit my needs and I'm looking forward to doing more projects with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars good value, April 28, 2011
This review is from: Brother CP-7500 Computerized Sewing Machine (Kitchen)
Sews all stitches and buttonholes well. Lightweight for easy portability. Love the table and feet included. Would have given it 5 stars for the price except that it needs better lighting.

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 Star Machine with 3 Star Generic Manual, January 28, 2012
This review is from: Brother CP-7500 Computerized Sewing Machine (Kitchen)
This review isn't for those who can buy something, plug it in, figure it out on their own, and begin using the equipment right away. This review is for those of us who need a good manual, and faithfully follow it so we can learn from the manual and then use the equipment.

I bought this CP-7500 for my wife who has started quilting. She has several years sewing experience in garment factories and boot factory. After comparing the different brands and models and reading all the reviews I ordered the CP-7500. With Free Super Saver Shipping the machine arrived in two days. No damage, no shortage of accessories. I was glad I didn't order a case for it because the hard cover is sufficient if nothing will be put on top of machine. The machine is light-weight but feels durable. When sewing, it doesn't scoot around on table.

An hour after unpacking and trying to thread the machine my wife wanted to give up and send it back. Although ignorant about sewing machines, I tried to help her. There is a Quick Reference Guide, but it has just illustrations, no explanatory text. So I opted for the Operation Manual. The cover shows illustrations of three similar but different machines. That should have been a warning. I haven't seen "CP-7500" or any other model number in the 96 page manual.

Her hold-up was step 8 of winding the bobbin: ". . . slide the bobbin winder shaft to the right." It wouldn't slide. It wouldn't budge even with a lot of pressure and jiggling. We looked for a lever or button or something to move or unlock it. The manual was silent.

The Manual cover says to visit [...] for support. I went there. That took us to page "Mac OS x 10.7 Support Information" Also photos of Inkjet, Laser, Color Printer, and other products Brother makes. In the "Search by model name" box I entered what was on the front of the machine "CP7500." Nothing. I tried "CP-7500." That computed. The identical manual was there, and a little other information, but nothing to help slide bobbin winder.

Because I knew Amazon would replace without hassle or cost, I pushed the winder shaft extremely hard. Instead of breaking, it broke free. It doesn't now "slide," but it snaps into position when very firmly pushed. We followed to completion at step 16. Next we read "For models equipped with the fast bobbin winding system . . . ." Whoops, looks like that's our CP-7500. The thread doesn't go through the top hole; it goes through the bottom hole. We followed the eleven steps for second bobbin. The second method allows no-fuss cutting of bobbin thread. Both filled bobbins worked fine.

Next to install the bobbin. "Make sure to turn the power off while threading the machine." Wise advice. Except when you turn off the machine, the light doesn't work. You will need another light. There are six steps. But again, that's not for the CP-7500. Use the next six steps "For models equipped with the quick-set bobbin."

The Thread Take-Up Lever is difficult to see. One large screw recessed at back of machine holds the Take-Up Lever cover. When you remove cover you can see the lever has a giant hook at the top. The instructions make sense once you visualize you want the thread in that hook.

Drawing up the lower thread: You guessed it. Don't follow the first four steps. Follow the next three steps "For models equipped with the quick-set bobbin" which the CP-7500 has.

For those concerned about needle/fabric/thread selection, it's not a problem. It's like driving a standard 2WD vehicle, and sometimes it's handy to be able to shift to 4WD. It's a feature, not a problem. To my naked eye, the three extra needles looked the same. However, when I measured with micrometer, they were different sizes as listed in manual. I put each in marked baggie.

Needle threader works great.

As others have remarked, the accessory compartment is too cramped for all the accessories provided. My wife immediately bought two small boxes with lids for the accessories. She said there is a very nice assortment of usable items.

The literature packed with the machine is generic. There is no "Congratulations on purchase of CP-7500" listing features. Obviously this manual is included with a dozen models. I should have printed out Amazon's ad so I would know the CP-7500 features and which parts of the manual to ignore and which to follow. The Manual needed more explanation for many instructions. In some places it needed larger inset illustrations. There was sufficient white space on the existing pages. A user with average eyesight shouldn't have to use a magnifier and play detective. The Manual isn't terrible. It sure beats two pages of cryptic instructions. It's average. A 5 star machine loaded with features deserves a 5 star manual.

A full copy of the Manual in Spanish was also included.

Because this review is long, I won't mention all the positives. Others have praised it and my wife now agrees and loves it. Great machine with lots of well-designed handy features at a bargain price. The machine deserves 5 stars. However the generic manual and generic link to website with no warning or explanation deserve 3, thus my 4 stars.
-------------
Addition to review: Today I received Amazon email ad for Brother foot. I looked at the advertised one and many others. I deleted four feet from my cart by reason of fact some descriptions said "For all 7 mm feed dog machines" while others said "For all 5 mm feed dog machines." Yet the feet were listed for the CP-7500 model. The Manual does not list feed dog specification. The literature enclosed with machine does not list what feet are compatible with the CP-7500. Brother customer service said 7 mm. For available feet he sent me to non-existent site. Machine is working great.

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy to use!, May 4, 2011
This review is from: Brother CP-7500 Computerized Sewing Machine (Kitchen)
I am a novice seamstress and needed a machine that I can learn and grow with. Like most of us, I had sewing in home ec and know the basics of sewing. After reading the manual and playing around with the different stitches, I had no trouble hemming my curtains. I'm looking forward to more projects.

The only suggestion I have is to buy extra bobbins that are recommended for the machine. It needs a particular type of bobbin and only comes with 4 of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sell your Singer Stock!, March 1, 2012
This review is from: Brother CP-7500 Computerized Sewing Machine (Kitchen)
My parents had a drape shop in our home and all of us, my two sisters, mom, dad and me, could or can run a sewing machine. I have a heavy duty Sailrite straight stitch for sails upstairs for my hobby but wanted a modest portable to sew the odd shirt sleeve rip, etc. I bought a Singer basic straight stitch and zig zag from Wally World two years ago. It was not very substantial though the middle of the line they carried in cost, worked the first time and I put it away. Went to use it and it broke needles. Put needles in correctly, threaded and it started wadding up the thread on the bottom side. Read, checked it all, replaced the needles, did it all again. Same result. Cleaned shuttle, looked at bobbin tension, yada, yada, yada. I tried and tried with this relatively new machine to make it work, adjust it, spent two hours playing with it last week and finally gave up on the old name of "Singer" and started looking at reviews. The Singer began to look like a 1959 Plymouth with a 12,000 mile warranty and it had just turned over 15,000 miles!

Top down drop in bobbin, electronic sewing machine, good self threader, intuitive visual instructions, some other things all emerged and while there were Singer machines, the reviews all favored Brother machines by and large so I bought one...CP-7500.

It arrived this afternoon late. It took me 15 minutes to unpack it, 15 minutes to thread it and read, fifteen minutes or less to sew the three items that had piled up waiting for sewing.

How did it work? Perfectly. I found the push on/off button with speed control amazing. You can't imagine how long I've hated that darned foot pedal and wires hanging all over to put it on the floor and find it with your foot. Intimidated by the self threader? A little. In use, looked at the guide, threaded the thread, saw the hook through the eye, raised it being sure the advance knob on the side had the line straight up for alignment and it pulled it through without any issues whatsoever. Wind a few bobbins including some of the extras of this height I had ordered....Can you imagine how nice it is not to have extra pieces of thread hanging around everywhere? Even the bobbin winder has a built in cutter that works with pressure when you get ready to wind the bobbin. Just like the bobbin drop in. Brother makes all of these little tasks super easy compared to the machines of the past. Like the drop in from the top bobbin? Fantastic.

Time to sew? Yep. Made sure it was the straight stitch pattern, left the top thread tension where it was set, checked and slightly modified stitch length, set speed at slowest speed, raised the feed dogs, put the item's cloth under, lowered it, touched the sew button. It started with power and very quiet movements. I had to speed it up slightly. At the end of the first 2" run of sewing I made sure the needle down button did that, pivoted in the normal way and went around the rectangle I needed to sew. Did this three times with no incidents at all.

I had a clean white cotton handkerchief with me when I was done so I folded it and sewed about 7 or so of the 70 stitch patterns on two layers of this. How did it turn out? Perfect in every case, just perfect.

For the life of me why I stuck with an American old time name for so long I don't know other than patriotism. I don't know where Brothers come from or care. This one works easier than just about anything at all complicated I've ever gotten.

I am really impressed with this machine and though I am not sure I'll ever be a quilter, the quilting table comes with it and it has a deep enough throat to work with most fabrics and is big enough that it doesn't slide around on its rubber feet.

Personally, I could not be more pleased and the Singer is outside....in the trash.

Sell your Singer stock is my thought!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Machine, February 13, 2011
This review is from: Brother CP-7500 Computerized Sewing Machine (Kitchen)
I compared alot of different machines but I'm glad I bought this one. I was some what intimidated by the word "computer" but, it's easy to use and the variety of stitches are great. These are stitches that I'll actually use. This is the quietest machine I've owned. I'm sold!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this machine!!, March 20, 2011
This review is from: Brother CP-7500 Computerized Sewing Machine (Kitchen)
I've had this machine for a couple of months now. I have no complaints. It's awesome!!! I've made dresses for my daughters. Some stuffed toys. I used it for my first free motion quilting attempt. It was easy to understand the manual (I'm not technical). I have no issues changing feet or anything else. This is a great sewing machine for anyone.

Rate and Discover Movies