5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Machine!!!
When I moved from Scotland to the US, I took my Brother sewing machine with me, unfortunately it just didn't do well with the transformer etc, and just upped and died on me. I was on the hunt for a new machine that was reasonably priced, but better than the one I had. I scoured reviews, websites and prices, and finally decided to go with this one.

I cant even...
Published on October 30, 2004 by Susan

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money...buy a singer!!
I was initially impressed when I first bought this machine. It was fairly simple to use. After a few months the computerized part of the machine shorted out (my sissors touched the needle when I was clipping a thread), which has made the machine now useless. I called Brothers NOT tollfree support line,and was on hold for a half hour. The 'lady' I spoke too was...
Published on May 4, 2005 by Barrett

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Machine!!!, October 30, 2004
This review is from: Brother CS-8150 150 Stitch Function Computerized Free-Arm Sewing Machine (Kitchen)

I cant even describe how happy I am that I did. I'm one of those; let's play with it now, and read the instructions if we cant figure something out kind of gal. I was up and running in a matter of minutes. I had no problems with winding bobbins and was amazed with the thread loading cassette. It's light, easy and has a truck load of different stitches!!! The only thing that I think is missing (although it could just be that I haven't found it yet) is a straight satin stitch for applique.

I had a read through the manual and everything was easy to read and understand, no problems there either. If you're looking for a machine that can be used happily by anyone from beginner to advanced, and you want lots of stitch options this is the one to get!

I still cant believe the price when you compare it to the quality and functions of the machine... FANTASTIC!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great features at a great price, September 26, 2004
First of all, I will admit that I am a sewing machine junkie. I own about 8 Janome/NewHome machines, 3 sergers, and a Brother PE150 embroidery machine. I wanted a small, computerized, lightweight machine to travel with and take to classes. Since this was to be strictly my portable machine, I didn't want to spend alot of money.After reading the specs and features of the machine I decided to take a chance and buy it at Walmart. After all, they have a liberal return policy, and if I didn't like it I could return it....no questions asked.

What a surprise!! This machine comes loaded with features that usually are only found in top of the line machines. For instance; elonagtion of satin stitches, memory capability, mirror imaging of decorative stitches. It has a nice stitch package, and really the only thing that could improve it would be a built in alphabet. The buttonholes are easy, and come out perfect every time. Since I also do quilting, free motion stitching is important to me, and this machine handles it great. The only thing I will not attempt on it would be huge bulky bed sized quilts, as there is not alot of room to the right of the needle bed.

I know some people have had issues with the thread cassette, and bobbin winder. But as with all electronics you need to read the manual. The thread cassette comes with an adapter and will accomodate small spools to large embroidery sized cones. But it will not fit serger sized cones. The cassette perfectly threads the needle EVERY time. A real plus, as some needle threaders on my other machines are rather tempermental. The bobbin winder is also different than on other machines. The tension mechanism must be pushed all the way back for the bobbin to wind correctly. After spending an afternoon reading the manual and playing with all the features, there is no way I would return this machine....it's a keeper!!! I just completed a blouse this afternoon, and instead of packing the machine away, I'm going to keep it out and use it instead of the Janome I usually use.

So, in my opinion, anyone wanting a full featured computerized machine for a good price.....I'd say go for it. The stitches can all be adjusted (length and width) the cross stitches I especially love, and the buttonholes are effortless. Oh, and the machine runs smooth and quiet, plus it's darn good lookin too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great features for a great price, August 18, 2004
I bought this machine over 8 months ago and have been continually suprised at all of its great features. After doing a lot of research on different brands and models I settled on this machine and haven't regretted my decision. There is definitely some learning involved in winding a bobbin. You have to make sure the thread sits in the middle of the bobbin before it starts winding. I also occassionaly have to use my finger to guide the thread to make sure it winds evenly. However, this is no big deal and I've read where many others have to do this on machines that cost a great deal more.

The stitch quality is wonderful and with over 120 stitches to choose from I am able to always find one that suits my needs. The display offers a help menu with pictures if I need assistance.

I mostly sew home dec items and clothing and this machine has handled it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars TOP NOTCH MACHINE, October 9, 2004
First, thank you to the reviewers before me, your comments and hints helped a lot! :-)

The machine is awesome! So many decorative stitches! I took a couple of hours to read the manual which is very clear and easy to understand/follow. Then took off, tried some simple straight stitches, some decorative stitches and then wound up a new bobbin. No problem!

This machine is quiet, sleek and easy to use. A real bargain for the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you, reviewers, for your tips, October 9, 2004
After much searching for the perfect sewing machine at a reasonable price, I chose this machine. I did have difficulty winding the bobbin at first; the thread was too loose and not evenly distributed on the bobbin. I want to thank reviewers for their tips on how to correct the problem. When I finally opened the bobbin winder cover as far back as it would go, the bobbin threaded perfectly. Using the cassette for the upper thread was a breeze and worked great the first time, including the automatic needle threading. Am anxious to learn how to use the wide variety of stitches. Though I've had this machine for only a short time, I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome Machine, February 1, 2005
I am soooo happy I purchased this machine. For all of you reading about problems with the bobbin winder DO NOT worry about it. Just follow the directions and it is a piece of cake. I have had no problems with my machine what so ever and it is sooo quick to learn. I really can't understand what all the fuss is over with the bobbin. This machine is super quiet and runs like a charm. You have optional foot pedal or stop and go right on the machine. Look around the Net and see what kind of prices you can find, I paid $199.00 for mine, ya can't beat that.This is alot of machine for the price, if you have been thinking about it I suggest you go for it, you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be happier., October 7, 2004
I love this sewing machine!! I would strongly reccomend this for anyone learning how to sew or just taking up machine quilting. The instruction manuel is clear and concise and the sewing machine could not be easier to use. There are so many stitches to choose from and I absolutely love the bobbin winder and the self threading needle and bobbing. Just pop the thread cartridge in and the sewing machine magically threads your neadle for you. You don't even have to worry about pulling up the bobbin thread, just start sewing. It does everything for you. I highly reccomend this machine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine-bobbin tip, October 3, 2004
Jennifer (Austin, Texas) - See all my reviews
I bought this machine a week ago after reading the good reviews here on Amazon.

I too had some early bobbin issues. I followed the helpful tips other reviewers gave, but also neglected to notice that the thread needed to almost "click" into place around the 2nd guide. If you don't make sure the thread is pulled correctly through the 2nd guide you'll end up with a bobbin full of loose, wasted thread. This is probably something a sewing pro would know to do, but for a beginner it was new to me. I was very happy when, on my 3rd try, I had a nicely wound bobbin.

On another note...I LOVE the thread cassette! My husband was very impressed that the machine threads the needle on its own. And, he doesn't get too impressed about anything related to sewing. :)

I've changed needles (regular to denim), changed presser foots and practiced almost all of the many stitches.

I did make sure to read the manual and reference guides before I got started, and they were very helpful.

It really is a great machine, and sews with ease!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, October 6, 2005
I had to write this in reply to another reviewer's problem winding a bobbin. I thought I had to hold the thread too, until I figured out that the bobbin winding cover and the bobbin winding spool pin only seem like they are all the way open, and in place. They actually open farther, and then the bobbins wind up perfectly.

This sewing machine is beautiful in person, runs very quietly, and can do so many different stitches! I have had no problems at all, and threading it is fun and easy - just follow the instructions :)

5.0 out of 5 stars very nice machine!, March 4, 2005
This is my second Brother machine-- my first one (15 years old)died after an apartment fire. I was so upset! But that machine worked so well for me that I am now a loyal Brother user. I was a professional seamstress for a few years and there was nothing that machine could not handle. So, I decided to go buy another one and after A LOT of back and forth between several models, I settled on this one. I purchased it at Wal-Mart yesterday- It is not discontinued, in fact it is still on the website. So far, it's been perfect! :) I sewed a pair of pants on it last night-- all the threaders and winders worked perfectly the first time and it runs so quietly! I can't wait to get started on my next project! By the way, this one is half the price of the one I bought 15 years ago and it has most of the features of my old one and more! I agree with one of the other reviewers, though-- I wish it had a built in alphabet-- my old one did and it came in handy. Other than that, I oculdn't be more pleased!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›