5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THIS MACHINE.
Published on January 11, 2011 by DB Edwards

3.0 out of 5 stars Good little printer, but it leaks
Published on June 19, 2012 by Charles Dickson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THIS MACHINE., January 11, 2011
This review is from: Brother Black Compact Inkjet All-in-One with Fax for the Small or Home Office User (MFCJ220) (Office Product)
Buy this machine! If you are in the market for an office printer this BROTHER MFC-J220 should fit the bill. I wanted a photo printer primarily, but also wanted to have the capability to FAX, SCAN, COPY and make phone calls. This does all that and yes, rather bloody well! I have a BROTHER HL-5140 laser printer also and this has never failed me. So I thought, why not buy a reliable photo printer of the same elk? GOOD DECISION!
The unit is very stylish in black and the controls are all well thought out. It is so easy to set up and use I felt tickled. Software is included so you can link your computer with the printer in a very painless fashion. BROTHER, like all the competition, doesn't include a USB cord so you'll need to buy your own USB cord, but it's easy to install and inexpensive to buy.
The long and short is this. You can insert your SD chip and preview and select the photos you wish to download. You can vary the brightness and quality of the image using the keyboard. THE PHOTO QUALITY IS COMPARABLE TO WHAT YOU'LL GET AT THE LOCAL DRUG STORE. Nice, rich colours and sharp images. The unit has four different colour ink jets, so you can replace each one individually and this will save you a bunch of money. The ink jets aren't expensive, compared to what it costs to replace laser print cartridges. What I like, too, is that you can print photos from your computer/laptop/netbook. You can enhance their colour, contrast and hue with a program BROTHER provides with the package called FACEFILTER STUDIO. You'll get the look your looking for and if you're creative you'll even have fun doing it. And if you're concerned about the racket some of these printers make, don't worry, it is very quiet and and won't wake up the neighbours.
What else? The scanner is fantastic. Images are crystal clear and so easy to capture. You can enter them into your computer for viewing. The fax is great, too. Receive and send faxes and capture these to your computer's memory. Very easy and the machine uses standard 8 1/2 x 11 paper (no need to purchase special fax "rolls").
What's the downside? You'll have to buy photo paper (not included). The paper tray assembly is very fragile plastic and you best be very ginger with it or else! It is not a WIRELESS unit, so you must direct wire it (but by golly, how many customer reviews have I read where connecting to the wireless is a fate worse than death? Rather not mess with that, anyhow). And the scanner will not work with legal size documents, letter size only. No big deals, these.
Let me say for a hundred smackers, and AMAZON picked up the cost of handling and shipping (THANK YOU AMAZON!) I truly believe you'll be pleased if you have a home office and need the casual use of a photoprinter/copier/fax/scanner. I am tickled pink at how good this machine is. Hope you are too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brother MFC220, March 9, 2012
I am very happy with my purchase. I wanted a back-up printer to my MFC6490CW so it was important that the back-up printer used the same print cartridges. This unit is very compact and does a beautiful print job and has a very good print speed. All the controls are nicely laid out. I am very happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, Quiet, Great Quality Printer (Especially for College Students), December 8, 2012
I don't think I ever really considered how loud a printer is until my roommate commented on how quiet this printer was. And then I thought about it, and yea, this printer prints surprisingly quietly!

But anyways, after doing a lot of research on printers for college, I settled on this Brother printer because it was pretty cheap/affordable and came with a lot of extra features that I may/may not ever actually use like fax (although it may come in handy one day). As a college student, most of my printing is pretty basic - just a lot of papers in black and white, so I can't really comment on the image/color quality. But what I can say is that this printer prints pretty fast and gives you 4 different options for printing: Normal, Fast, Normal Fast, and Fine. I use Normal Fast most of the time just to save on ink usage, and it prints just like Normal quality but a bit lighter (although it's really not that noticeable for things that are dark).

I think my only (very minor) complaint is the fact that you have to pull out the paper tray in order to put in more paper, which requires just the teensiest bit more amount of work. Also, this printer doesn't print double-sided, so the only way to print double-sided is to insert the paper back into the paper tray, which isn't a huge deal once you've figured out which way you need to put the paper in in order for it to print the back side correctly.

I honestly haven't played around too much with this printer, so I can't say much about all of its other features. However, I really do love this printer and I think it's great for college students who are on a budget as this printer could easily last you all 4 years and much more, since it's pretty sturdy and well-built. Also ink cartridges are pretty cheap!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good little printer, but it leaks, June 19, 2012
We bought the MFC-J220 less than a year ago because it was small and was able to fit into our motorhome with no problem. We don't use a printer all that much, but as lots of other people will tell ya, it's best to have one around when ya need it. It worked well with the test page and a couple of other things we printed, then it sat for a few days. When we tried to print again, it said it was out of yellow ink. As we'd bought extra ink, it wasn't that much of a problem, but we couldn't understand why it why it would need ink that fast. Turns out that it leaks ink with the ink going into the bottom of the printer and eventually overflowing out of it. Thought maybe this was due to us moving, but we didn't move the motorhome for weeks and had to replace two yellow cartridges.

5.0 out of 5 stars Descent and Reliable, April 2, 2013
I have used this multifunction printer for almost a year. I'm very happy with it. It has been working flawlessly in Windows XP and Linux Ubuntu (both printer and scanner). The printouts are descent. The LCD menu is highly customizable. I could also manage to change the language (from Italian to English). FAX is OK. Also I connected it to a wireless router (through USB) and now the printer can be shared wirelessly. So I'm very happy with it. So far my personal experience has been with HP and Cannon Printers. The only con that I have found, is the ink management. You have to have a spare set of cartridges handy all the time, because if one cartridge gets emptied then the printer stops printing until the cartridge is replaced. Aside from that, it's a good machine in general, a perfect value for the money that you pay.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ink Guzzler - Ink Waster, November 20, 2013
I've had this machine for a number of years now. I do very little color printing. I use it mostly for scanning, very rarely for copying. Almost every time I turn the printer on, it starts cleaning, even when I'm not going to print. It uses more ink for cleaning the print heads than it does for printing. I'm always buying ink even though I hardly use it for printing. If it's out of ink, it won't scan until you replace the ink and then it cleans the print heads using up my ink before it will scan. Very poor design and money waster for the consumer; moneymaker for the company.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brother All-In-One Machine, May 10, 2013
I really like this machine. It was very easy to set up and use. My only reason for not giving it 5 stars is that it is a bit complicated to send multiple pages with the fax. The pages don't feed into it and then out - you have to put them into the memory before sending multiple pages. It took me a bit to figure out how to do it, but it works just fine. Brother makes a good, reasonably priced machine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the Job, April 5, 2013
I used this to replace a malfunctioning and old printer. It worked straight out of the box. Does its job good and hasn't disappointed yet. I love the ink level display on the LCD panel. Kind of useless to have time displayed on it - but hey that's just my opinion. I don't consider this a work horse but it can be for the casual user. I printed a photo from a scan and it produced a 4.5 out of 5 quality photo print out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good machine, October 5, 2012
If your looking for a good little printer that does what the company says it will do, this one will work for you. Admittedly, I haven't tried the fax feature yet, but if it's like the rest of the machine it'll set-up and work easily. Printed plain paper pictures very well, text is clear and the scanner, well, it scanned!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, July 28, 2012
This item worked great. It was easy to assemble and connect to the computer. I have always been satisfied with Brother products.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›