5.0 out of 5 stars Good little printer
Published on September 15, 2009 by W. Szwarc

1.0 out of 5 stars DR T
Published on March 13, 2011 by Dr. T

5.0 out of 5 stars Good little printer, September 15, 2009
This review is from: Brother DR360 Drum Unit - Retail Packaging (Office Product)
I'm a techie guy and so maybe I understood what I saw when I assembled my 2140 for the first time. I was delighted that the drum was as easily replaced as the toner unit. EVERY laser printer has a drum but most people don't realize it because the drum is embedded in the machine and you need to disassemble part of the printer to get at it. Brother has made it easier by making the drum an easily replacable item.

My suggestion is to keep using the printer until you see streaking or notice your output not looking as good as it used to. Then replace the drum. The Toner cartridge and the Drum are the only parts that actually print inside the printer. All else is just mechanics to get the paper from one tray, through the toner and drum, and then on to the output tray. Basically replacing these two peices gives you a totally new printer.

I'm super happy witht he output of my printer and the speed at which it works. I usually don't like Brother equipment but this unit may change my mind.

4.0 out of 5 stars Drum gets about 16000, August 22, 2009
I got about 16000 on my first drum, and the printer now has 31000 prints and no sign of any wear yet on the 2nd drum, so I count that into my cost per page. I also get about 2800-3100 prints per cartridge, although I do print a lot of envelopes that use only a little toner. This is not a bad way to go, although there are some Xerox printers that are a bit more expensive that would be a better deal overall, still, I am generally happy with the Brother supplies. I tried the generics and they were not good enough for output at the office, although, for example, I would use them for non-critical works such as a classroom.

1.0 out of 5 stars DR T, March 13, 2011
The drum light came on on my Brothers HL 2140 printer so I ordered Brothers replacement from Amazon which came through Vivamart. The drum DR-360 arrived a week later in the Brothers box. I followed the instructions and reset the printer. When I tried to print the printer came to a screeching halt. When I put the old drum back in it worked fine. After troubleshooting on the phone with Brother they told me to bring the printer into a service center at my own expense. Amazon told me to call Vivamart and gave me the wrong phone #. Vivamart is closed on weekends and takes 2 days to answer an email. They finally agreed for me to send the drum back and if they determined that it was defective they would send a replacement (3 weeks).

Vivamart finally agreed to give me a credit and then asked me to change my review.
Total emails-7, total phone calls-3, total time involved 10 hours, final result-refund.
Be prepared to spend some time looking for email addresses and phone numbers.

I should have heeded other peoples reviews of this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Drum not always needed with toner, June 28, 2009
Whom Ever (California, USA) - See all my reviews
Just a little FYI - You do not have to replace the drum every time you replace the toner cartridge. Just look at the page ratings. TN-330 cartridge: 1500 pages; DR-360 drum: 12000 pages. So it should be about 8 toner replacements per drum. When your printout is streaky is when you need to replace the drum.

Also, Amazon.com is much cheaper for buying toner cartridges than your local (or online) office store.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brother Toner drum, July 19, 2010
Use official brother products. I used a "compatible" product and it totally messed up my printing for a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brother DR360 Drum Unit, February 13, 2012
Decided to go with a Brother original product as I did not want to take any chances. It arrived fast and in perfect condition. It was an ORIGINAL Brother drum and it installed easily and worked great. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously?, February 20, 2009
Are you kidding me with some of these reviews? Your mad because you have to buy toner and a drum. Hello McFly! Every laser printer has a drum. Considering the ink usage on an inkjet its still only a fraction of the cost. You should ALWAYS do research on new electronics if you have never used them. Most people would consider this information common sense. This is a fabulous printer!

1.0 out of 5 stars DR 360 - poor quality, broken when I received it., August 22, 2011
This was the wrong drum. It was not sealed when I received it. It was also broken. The company would not take it back since I had opened the box. I will never use this company again.

1.0 out of 5 stars GIANT RIPOFF!! - Amazon or Brother to Blame???, January 10, 2011
I knew that I would have to replace the drum on my MFC-7440N at some point, but little did I know that I would have to replace the drum unit AFTER ONLY PRINTING 6,000 COPIES AND HAVING THE NEW DRUM UNIT FOR 8 WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't purchse the knock-off (learned about not doing that here with the other reviews) but purchased the "real deal" with the high output toner cartridge at the very end of October, and now it's the very beginning of January, and I am not only out of toner BUT THE DRUM LIGHT IS ON! I may just take the manufacturer to task on this one, and will be calling Amazon to complain as well.

Seems to me they are selling "restored" units as "new" and cheating customers along with Brother. DO NOT BUY EITHER OF THESE FROM AMAZON. I will report back once I get to the bottom of this, but I can't believe both a drum unit and a "high yield cartridge" would wear out after 6,000 pages and 8 weeks on the job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Before you buy.... Simply reset the drum counter, October 24, 2013
I love my Brother HL-2170W printer and always get Brother brand toner for it. After using several toner cartridges, I started to get "replace the drum" messages but I ignored them because the print quality was fine. Then finally the 'Replace Drum' light came on and the printer refused to print at all. I ordered this Brother brand drum, and when I got it I saw in the instructions that I needed to reset the drum counter after installing the drum. (Keep the power on and the front door open. Hold down the ON button until all four lights light up, then release the button and close the door.)

Just for kicks, I put the old drum back into the printer and reset the drum counter. Sure enough, the printer is now all set, printing just fine. Someday, when the print quality suffers due to streaking, etc., I'll actually open up the new drum that I have just purchased and install it. In the meantime, I'll keep resetting the drum counter.

I wish I'd tried resetting the drum counter before I ordered this. But it's good to have it on hand, just in case.

Brother DR360 Drum Unit - Retail Packaging