Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on September 15, 2009
I'm a techie guy and so maybe I understood what I saw when I assembled my 2140 for the first time. I was delighted that the drum was as easily replaced as the toner unit. EVERY laser printer has a drum but most people don't realize it because the drum is embedded in the machine and you need to disassemble part of the printer to get at it. Brother has made it easier by making the drum an easily replacable item.

My suggestion is to keep using the printer until you see streaking or notice your output not looking as good as it used to. Then replace the drum. The Toner cartridge and the Drum are the only parts that actually print inside the printer. All else is just mechanics to get the paper from one tray, through the toner and drum, and then on to the output tray. Basically replacing these two peices gives you a totally new printer.

I'm super happy witht he output of my printer and the speed at which it works. I usually don't like Brother equipment but this unit may change my mind.
22 comments|59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 24, 2013
I love my Brother HL-2170W printer and always get Brother brand toner for it. After using several toner cartridges, I started to get "replace the drum" messages but I ignored them because the print quality was fine. Then finally the 'Replace Drum' light came on and the printer refused to print at all. I ordered this Brother brand drum, and when I got it I saw in the instructions that I needed to reset the drum counter after installing the drum. (Keep the power on and the front door open. Hold down the ON button until all four lights light up, then release the button and close the door.)

Just for kicks, I put the old drum back into the printer and reset the drum counter. Sure enough, the printer is now all set, printing just fine. Someday, when the print quality suffers due to streaking, etc., I'll actually open up the new drum that I have just purchased and install it. In the meantime, I'll keep resetting the drum counter.

I wish I'd tried resetting the drum counter before I ordered this. But it's good to have it on hand, just in case.
on August 22, 2009
I got about 16000 on my first drum, and the printer now has 31000 prints and no sign of any wear yet on the 2nd drum, so I count that into my cost per page. I also get about 2800-3100 prints per cartridge, although I do print a lot of envelopes that use only a little toner. This is not a bad way to go, although there are some Xerox printers that are a bit more expensive that would be a better deal overall, still, I am generally happy with the Brother supplies. I tried the generics and they were not good enough for output at the office, although, for example, I would use them for non-critical works such as a classroom.
on July 19, 2010
Use official brother products. I used a "compatible" product and it totally messed up my printing for a while.
on March 13, 2011
The drum light came on on my Brothers HL 2140 printer so I ordered Brothers replacement from Amazon which came through Vivamart. The drum DR-360 arrived a week later in the Brothers box. I followed the instructions and reset the printer. When I tried to print the printer came to a screeching halt. When I put the old drum back in it worked fine. After troubleshooting on the phone with Brother they told me to bring the printer into a service center at my own expense. Amazon told me to call Vivamart and gave me the wrong phone #. Vivamart is closed on weekends and takes 2 days to answer an email. They finally agreed for me to send the drum back and if they determined that it was defective they would send a replacement (3 weeks).

Vivamart finally agreed to give me a credit and then asked me to change my review.
Total emails-7, total phone calls-3, total time involved 10 hours, final result-refund.
Be prepared to spend some time looking for email addresses and phone numbers.

I should have heeded other peoples reviews of this product.
on February 13, 2012
Decided to go with a Brother original product as I did not want to take any chances. It arrived fast and in perfect condition. It was an ORIGINAL Brother drum and it installed easily and worked great. Thanks.
on June 28, 2009
Just a little FYI - You do not have to replace the drum every time you replace the toner cartridge. Just look at the page ratings. TN-330 cartridge: 1500 pages; DR-360 drum: 12000 pages. So it should be about 8 toner replacements per drum. When your printout is streaky is when you need to replace the drum.

Also, Amazon.com is much cheaper for buying toner cartridges than your local (or online) office store.
22 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2015
Unhappy. I have bought 3 drums (at roughly the cost of the printer each time, so I have paid for the printer 3 times now). I always buy the Brother brand. I only bought the 3rd Brother drum 6 months ago and the printer is already telling me I need a new drum and will cease working soon. This is getting ridiculous. I know the whole thing is a scam: there isn't any reason the drum needs needs to be replaced, it is programmed into the machine to stop working without the "new" expensive part. It would be better to buy a good printer from a reputable company - which will cost less money in the long run. Instead of wanting to build a machine that works, Brother wants to stick it to their own customers.
on May 2, 2016
Drum had plenty of life left, but all of a sudden unit started spewing out tons of toner. After using an air can to clear the caked toner mess, a filament the size of a hair was sticking out corona wire slider cleaner. Brother says they only have a 90 day warranty on drums so no help there. The print quality is great, but dependability is not worth it, even at the amazon discounted the price. Why buy a drum when you can get a brand new printer for that price? On the other hand, a generic drum is only $15.
on September 25, 2012
My HL-2140 printer started paper jamming left and right a few weeks ago. Completely at random. It would print 10 pages and jam. Work fine for a day, then jam. Or, it would jam with every single page that I attempted to print. Hair-pulling expletive-yelling frustration.

The LED error code indicated an end-of-life drum although the page counter said it was only at half its life.

Well, I bought the OEM replacement drum because a printer would cost not much more than the drum and if the drum DIDN'T fix it, Amazon would accept the return.

Well, it was the drum. After replacing with this product I have not had a SINGLE jam. Turns out they weren't actual jams, just the printer saying, "Nope, I'm not printing until I get a new drum installed."

5 stars, even with the high price.