5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect portable scanner
The DS-600 scanner is a super light-weight scanner that barely takes up any room on your desk. I admit that when I opened up the box and saw this scanner, I didn't expect it to work all that well - it seemed too small and too light to do a good job. However I was pleasantly surprised.

Published on July 1, 2010 by Book and Dog Lover

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent scanner, room for improvement
I've used this scanner to scan documents for work, as well as pictures and drawings. I thought it worked fine for scanning documents into Adobe Pro. I didn't have any problems running OCR after scanning my paperwork. For images and drawings, I am unimpressed.

Published on July 15, 2010 by Rane

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect portable scanner, July 1, 2010
This review is from: Brother DS-600 DSMobile Scanner - Retail Packaging (Office Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Although it's tempting to connect everything at once, there is a warning that you must install the driver and scanner software before connecting everything. The CD-ROM offers the install in several languages and it is very easy (and quick) to install everything needed.

I scanned several documents of various sizes - a one page black and white document in a very small font, a take-out menu, a business card, some pages in bright colors with lots of contrast, and several photos. All documents scanned perfectly - the small fonts of one document were clear and scanned to match exactly the existing document. For the color documents - the one document with bright colors and high contrast and the photo (with faded colors) were identical to the original documents. Note that you can't modify the documents (for example, some scanners provide options to tweak photos - that's not available here.)

You can save documents in PDF, JPG and TIFF format. File names and locations are easy to change. You can save documents in these sizes: letter, legal, A4, B5, A5, A6 and Business Card. There are options and settings that you can customize, but you don't need to - it works perfectly straight out of the box.

Documentation (besides the piece of paper that warns you to install the product before plugging in the scanner) consists of a ~50 page User Guide in PDF format that's on the CD-ROM. I'd say "User Guide" is a misnomer as while it does a good job describing how to install (for Windows and Mac systems) the scanner driver, Dsmobile scanner, and PageManager, it barely describes how to "use" the scanner (besides connecting it, calibrating, and clicking the desktop icon). The DSmobile scanner comes with two 4x6 sleeves which besides telling that you should clean them, are never described (I'm assuming you should use them to scan photos as that's how I used them). The scanner's options and ability to customize also aren't documented. Luckily the product is easy to use.

The CD-ROM also lets you install PageManager vsn 7.x which you can use to view, organize, edit, and send your digital files. I didn't play too much with PageManager, but it appears easy to use.

With a carrying case included, this is one scanner that you can easily take with you. If you want a scanner that doesn't take up a lot of room and does exactly what it should, check out the DS-600.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works very well, not perfect, September 13, 2010
I have bought three of these for my business, to scan documents from the road and send them in to clients. I only use black and white at 300dpi, which creates a very small file but a very clear image for documents. This scanner does the job well, and none of my three scanners has broken down yet, after 6 months of light use. There are several drawbacks:
1) Almost every page gets scanned in a little crooked. I'm thinking that there is a knack to getting it to go through perfectly straight but I haven't figured it out yet, one of my employees does pretty well though. Anyway, it is good enough, but still annoying
2) The whole process is tedious with multiple pages, hand-feeding one at a time, going through the program to tell it to scan each page. I shouldn't complain because this is a portable scanner, but one day maybe someone can make a portable scanner that can handle multiple pages by itself.
3) Occasionally it has trouble identifying that a piece of paper has been put into the scanner. The easiest solution for me has been to unplug the USB connection, plug it in again and try again.
4) You can only scan individual sheets, you can't scan out of books, newspapers, etc., like the HP Capshare 920. (The Capshare is unique in that it was made in the 1990's and is still better than anything on the market today. Unfortunately they stopped making it, you have to find it on Ebay.)

Everything else is great, it gets its power from the USB connection and does its job.

Update 2/24/2011: It has now been a year, and all three scanners are still running strong, no problems. Problem #3 that I mentioned above has ceased to be a problem, I think I was somehow putting the paper in wrong. You have to slide the paper in far enough to trip a tiny switch, and then allow the scanner to automatically pull the paper in about an inch before you start the scan.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent scanner, room for improvement, July 15, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Even at 600 dpi the scans were unclear, with lost information. One drawing I scanned just looked like chicken scratch because the scanner couldn't read the finer lines. It also doesn't have anything to guide your document through the scanner. It would have been easy to include a small guide bar that swings out from the document feeder area. Without the guide it is difficult to feed documents through straight.

Another issue I had with it is that it doesn't know when it is not scanning something. For instance, if a document isn't far enough in to be caught by the feeder, the scanner will still scan even though there is nothing feeding through. If you are in a hurry, this is a huge waste of time.

Overall, I think this is an average mobile scanner. It is fine for documents, if you have nothing else available, but I wouldn't want to use it on a regular basis.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ittie bittie Laptop Scanner Story, July 14, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Brother's DSMobile Scanner produces great results as a scanner, to take on the go with your laptop. It doesnt plug in, but draws power from the laptop, like when you load up your MP3 player. It's small, about ten inches long, and 2-3inches wide, and comes with a leatherette drawstring carrying case, that also holds the USB/ scanner cord. Along with the scanner, cord and pouch, comes all the software you need, plus a bunch of more common software, which you MIGHT need, and not have. (for example, you can download a trial version of MICROSOFT WORD, and also a free copy of PFD document expansion software.) The whole Scanner kit can have you up and running, within minutes of pulling it out of the box for the first time. You just have to download the scanner software, before you scan your first document. The scans look beautiful. The only problem I had was the first scan i made of some medical document, because I fed the paper into the scanner a bit off sides, so the image came out slightly lopsided. Scans after that, which included color artwork, black and white drawings, and greyscale drawings, all came thru without a hitch.

There is a small downside, with this scanner, and no doubt it's obvious. With the large desktop scanners, if you want to scan something out of a book, a magazine, or artwork from a sketchbook, etc, you can lay it flat on your scanner, and it can scan the art or book pages without problem. The DSMobile Scanner however, can only scan SINGLE PIECES of paper. For most of the use a portable scanner like this might encounter, that wont be a problem. These portable scanners were made for scanning almost anything.....exam papers, medical or legal documents that may not leave an office, photos at a friends house who doesnt have digital technology, and pages at a reference library. For the same reason a laptop works well as the portable version of a desktop computer, this scanning stick works as a portible version of the large, heavy desktop printer scanners. The software for scanning was designed for ease of use, by anyone at all conversant with computers. Before you scan, the software asks you the size of the paper, if you want to scan in color, B&W, or greytones, and that's everything. The other software allows you to keep your documents organized, for example, medical documents in one folder, artwork in another folder, or your credit card bills in another folder. Overall, I find that it scans a little faster than my desktop printer/scanner. Almost anyone with a laptop, will get a lot of use out of this device.

4.0 out of 5 stars DOES work with Mac, but extra steps required, January 7, 2011
I just ordered and received one of these scanners. Bottom line is this: The instruction manual and drivers that ship with the scanner are out of date. The directions will tell you to use OS X's Image Capture program to calibrate the scanner. (If you don't calibrate it after installing the software your scans will fail. The error message is "Run TWAIN software." However, Apple has removed the calibration capability from Image Capture for some unknown reason and even Adobe Photoshop won't do the job.

You need to download an updated version of the driver, which includes the calibration built in. I got it here: [...]

See this thread for more information: [...]

(If Amazon removes these links, contact Brother for the updated version of the Snow Leopard drivers.)

After just a couple of scans I can tell I'll use the heck out of this. It does exactly what I need: scans an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper into a PDF file without a lot of fiddly fooling with DPI settings, prescans and whatnot. (Edited to add: Actually you CAN change DPI settings, doc formats and such with ease, as I've noted in Comments below. The one thing you CANNOT do is put in a document that's wider than 8.5" - it just won't fit.) Basically I need this to scan receipts and bills into my local Documents folder on my laptop (a 15" circa 2007 MacBookPro). Once I was able to nail down the calibration issue, the scanner installed with no problems at all and I'm able to select it from Image Capture for a scan that takes maybe 30 seconds from start to finish.

Now for the downside - I do agree with other reviewers: This device really needs a paper guide. Anything that isn't perfectly letter- or legal-sized can slide from side to side while you're trying to scan. I haven't had major problems with this - a little slide doesn't yield unreadable docs - but at some point I may need to resort to copying the irregular page and then scanning the copy. Hey, it'd be faster than all the pesky prescanning and adjusting I have to do on my flatbed scanner.

I would NOT recommend this scanner for inputting a lot of small photographs. 8" x 10" should be fine, but a smaller, say, 4" x 6" photo is going to slide all over the place while you input it. Forget doing it in 'Flatbed' mode (which requires two scans)....You'd just never be able to get it in the same place twice.

(One more edit: I'm using this scanner TO DEATH already! I'm a compulsive magazine clipper, which means I always have a pile of articles lying around. Thanks to this scanner, many of them are now dumped into digital files on my desktop, sorted by topic. I LOVE that I can change the file format or DPI literally with the click of a button and can name the file whatever I want BEFORE the scan, so I don't have to open up all the files to see what's in them, then name them.

The ease of this scanner is hard to overstate - the scans are usually right the first time, minus some minor paper slippage that can happen if the page is smaller than 8" x 10" or so, but even then it's usually not drastic.

The drivers work well - no 'spinning beachball' or freezing or hanging up. The scans run fast, they save quickly - again, no hanging up...Overall I am QUITE pleased with this device and wish I'd bought it years ago.

I'd give it a full five stars if it had a paper guide.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Scanner - Deserves 4 1/2 Stars!, July 19, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Obviously, if you're using a mobile scanner, you're in a hurry. Overall, this is a very nice scanner. However, if you're in a time crunch, you'll have one complaint - there is no paper input guide!

Cons:

- No guides! There is nothing to guide the paper along to ensure the page doesn't move or shift, which screws up that page scan. You can end up with a lopsided scanned document, which you'll have to re-scan to rectify.

- The maximum scan size is 8.5" x 14" (legal size document). If you need to scan ledger size (11" x 17"), this will not work for you.

Pros:

- Powered by a USB connection. No power source necessary!

- Has auto-start option for ease in feeding multiple pages.

- Very simple (and fast) installation.

- Scans beautifully, even with light documents!

- Scans and saves in letter, legal, A4, B5, A5, A6 and business card sizes.

If the Brother DSMobile Scanner (DS-600) included a scan guide to ensure that your scans went in straight and smoothly, it would be the perfect mobile scanner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Portable Color Scanner -- Very Fast, High Quality, Lightweight And Versatile!, June 26, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Brother Dsmobile 600 is an excellent, high quality product that has no negatives associated with it since I've been using it. Its benefits are numerous: very fast and easy to install, so light and compact that it fits conveniently in virtually any carrying case, is powered by a USB connection, easily creates PDF & JPEG files, provides an auto-start option as you feed multiple pages, comes with its own carrying case and a 6-ft cable, and, most importantly, provides very high quality color scanning of a variety of types of documents and photos up to 8 1/2" X 14". Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic device, July 22, 2010
Enrique Torres "Rico" (San Diegotitlan, Califas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love this product. I have nothing but praise for the mobile scanner without a negative criticism. This little machine is lightweight and every task I have put it to has produced beyond satisfactory results. The software is easy to use as is the device. Once the software is installed just plug in the provided USB cable and you're ready to scan. I am in the process of putting many of my old photographs on the computer in digital files for future uploading. What a great device, the photos fit perfectly in the provided sleeves. What to do with all those business cards? Use the scanner and put them on your computer. Got a bunch of old receipts? Go digital and put them on your computer. It is perfect for many documents and if you need a paper copy you can print it. This is an ideal small business scanner or for the businessman who needs to do his work on the road. I really love this product and am fully enjoying putting it to work because it is no work at all. This is also a must for the modern family. It is a great addition to your lap top carrying bag. I highly recommend this mobile scanner for all your paperless needs like converting old photos to be shared via the electronic highway or business on the road.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works on Mac, but Clunky User Interface, February 18, 2011
Purchased this scanner based upon all the rave reviews from others, but there's not much comment on the Mac side. The retail box only says it works for Windows, but don't stress Mac zealots. This scanner works on Mac OSX 10.3 to 10.8. I paid $140 and some change and got the scanner within a week. I have a weigh scale that's super accurate, so I can tell you that the scanner is fairly light for travel purposes. Scanner weight is 10.8 ozs and total weight with USB cord is a svelte 13.8 ozs.

Installation was a bitch, because there's no written documentation. Companies are putting the instructions on the discs or online to save on paper costs now a days. I'll walk you through the install on the Mac side in case you don't feel like searching for the exact document online or reading all that bloat ware on the disc. First, DO NOT plug the thing into your laptop when you get it, because your Mac won't recognize it without the software driver. Second, DO NOT bother with installing the included disc as the software driver for the Mac is outdated. Third, go on line and copy and paste this address:
[..]

For some reason, Amazon deletes my link addresses. So, if you don't see the link address above- Go to Google and type in Brother DSmobile 600 Mac drivers in the search field and press enter. You should select the top or second selection when Google returns the results. The latest software driver for Mountain Lion is 1.3.8 Download the DMG file onto your desktop and then double left click to open the DMG folder. Then follow the instructions and they will prompt you to restart the computer after everything is installed. Now click on finder at the bottom of the screen and type "Image Capture" in the search field. Left click on the camera icon that says "image capture" and drag it down to your dock.

Now you can start the calibration scanning: Plug the USB cord into the scanner and into your laptop. Click on Finder, Applications folder, Utilities folder, and scroll down and double left click on DS 600 Mobile Calibrator to open it. Then use 1 of the Calibration Direction papers and make sure you fully insert it into the scanner. You will have to play with the paper and insert it in the middle, since there are no paper guides. The document won't take if you insert it all the way to the left or right edge or don't push it in far enough. Now click on calibrate and let the scanner do it's thing. A message box will say it's done calibrating when you do it correctly.

Open the Image Capture program that you placed down by the dock. For regular black & white docs you select: Document Feeder, Text, 1 bit, 600 dpi so the text can be read easier, US letter, Scan to Folder is where you want the file to be saved, Name the scan whatever you like, select PDF for ease of compatibility when sending docs via e-mail, automatic task is selected for preview, and none for image correction since your scanning text. Now insert your paper and click scan. The black button on the right of the scanner only works for PC's, so don't bother pushing it or you will look stupid when nothing happens.

If your scanning receipts in PDF and don't like the black border wasting all your ink when you print. Here's what you do after the document is saved in PDF. Go to where the document is on your computer and open it using the Mac app "Preview". 1) Choose Tools > Select Tool. 2) A + symbol will replace the black arrow and you will left click and drag the portion of the page you want to keep. 3)Choose Tools > Inspector, and click "Crop" to crop just that page 4)To crop every page in the document to the selection, click Crop All Pages. 5) You can also select rotate page in case you scanned the page upside down 6) Now save the document you just cropped by pressing command S or when you close the document the computer will ask if you want to save your changes.

If you want to group multiple pages together into one document. Here's what you do- Open up the document you want using the Mac app "Preview," left click "view" at the top header, then make sure side bar is checked for "show sidebar". Now drag the other PDF docs you want into the sidebar to group them with your first doc. Now just save the document and Shazaaaam!!! All your docs are grouped into one document. Now aren't you glad I walked you through this set up?

2011 Update: I have since sold this scanner and purchased a Fujitsu Scansnap S1100. The Fujitsu is slightly more than the Brother, but well worth it, since it's more Mac friendly and the button on the Fujitsu actually does something when you press it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work on Windows 7, February 25, 2011
I purchased this DS600 scanner as an alternative to my HP All-in-One which is too big for my laptop bag. The product description and reviews convinced me to buy this item and had it shipped overnight. After downloading the software from the included disc I was dismayed to discover the DS Mobile II software did not function at all on a Windows 7 system even though the included software said that it would. And the Presto! Page Manager was not at all compatible with Win7. I tried to install the software from the Brother website thinking maybe there was a problem with the disc, still the same issues prevailed. After trying for 3-1/2 hours to make it work I finally called the support team at Brother. After an hour on the phone with them there was still not a solution to this issue.They said they would have to send it to techs that were smarter than them and I should receive a call from them in the next 4 or 5 days and presumably if I am lucky I will be at home, in front of the computer when they call. I installed this on an older laptop that has a Vista op system and after a long period of time getting the program downloaded it did work on that system and the scanner itself seems to work well. It is not the scanner but the software that does not work on Win 7 which is what my intended use was.This was my first, and sorry to say last Brother product I will purchase and customer service at Brother is a joke. I will be getting in contact with Amazon in the next couple of days to obtain a refund for this scanner. Highly disappointed in a product that should be a breeze to set up and run and is nothing but frustrating and time consuming.

Brother DS-600 DSMobile Scanner - Retail Packaging