Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on September 15, 2006
This machine is very similar to the popular CS 6000 that's sold both here in Amazon and in Walmart. In fact they both use the same manual. The difference between the 2 are: CS6000 has an start/stop button so you can operate the machine w/o foot pedal, quilting accessories such as walking foot and larger table extension, needle up/down button, faster bobbin winding, 2 speeds, a hard cover and some extra fancy stitches. I don't care about these missing features. I sewed my own cloth cover using left over fabric. To me this little machine has all the functionality that I ever wanted from a sewing machine. All the utility stitches are there - sewing buttons and button holes (1-step), zippers, elastic, overlock, zig zag, satin, blah blah blah - everything you need to sew a dress or a pillow case, plus more. If you quilt a lot buy the CS6000 one. Threading is super easy because the direction is printed right on the machine. The automatic needle threader is very helpful. I use it every time. My only complaint is that the thread tends to slip out of the needle hole unless I leave a very long "tail". This happened w/ CS6000 too when I tried it at a friend's house. With both models you can specify if the needle is left up or down when sewing stops. Both needs no oiling (probably mostly plastic parts?) I haven't sewed very heavy fabric yet. The LED light is very dim but cool. You definitely need a real lamp nearby. You can leave the machine on for a long time because the light uses very little energy. If you do turn it off, all the custom stitch settings will be lost (no memory). So far I am very happy with this machine.
33 comments| 245 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2008
I'm new to sewing and I was a little concerned about purchasing this machine after a few of the reviews suggested that it struggled to get through some fabrics. I'm happy to report that so far I've made pants with 12 weight denim, and I had no problem, I've made three projects with 200 weight fleece without issue and a couple of flannel PJ's without the troubles that some people wrote about. The only complaint that I have right now is that somehow it becomes unthreaded a little more often than I like, but I'm guessing that it's user-ended. So far I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

This is an update on the material types that I know the machine can handle. I've made two denim jackets plus a pair of jeans from 12 weight denim. I've made two pairs of pants out of 8 weight denim, two more pants from 200 weight fleece and a pair of pants from baby whale corduroy. I've made shirts from linen, velour, and corduroy (baby whale). I've made two denim skirts and I sewed the material through elastic and over seams at the same time without a problem (double denim thickness plus seam thickness plus the elastic thickness).

I think that the people who are having so much trouble aren't using the recommended needle and presser foot for the job that they are doing. I did get a round of "E-6" errors but it turned out that my needle was bent from using the wrong type of needle for the fabric I was using. The instruction book explains which needles to use with which fabrics but I didn't read that part until I had problems.
VINE VOICEon March 18, 2006
I have owned this machine since Mother's Day 2005. I have not had a minute's trouble with it. In fact, I prefer it over my Bernina 1090! It has so many features you would expect to pay thousands of dollars for! I thought I would never be able to afford a machine that did all this. The best part is, this machine comes complete with absolutely everything you can buy for it--there are no extra feet to buy, etc., because this includes everything you need.

One night just for fun I worked through the entire instruction book. It is without a doubt the best and most complete manual I have ever gotten with a sewing machine. I was able to master every stitch function and attachment in one very pleasant evening. You really don't need another machine. The feet are plastic, which is GREAT--you can see through them. There is nothing cheesy about the parts--they all work exactly as they should. I am crazy about my machine, and its support materials. So crazy, in fact, that I recently bought the Brother serger here on Amazon, and it is just as good. GREAT machines. Why spend more? Buy this inexpensive machine and you'll have lots more money to spend on FABRIC!!
77 comments| 241 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon February 27, 2007
I bought this machine as it had a good price, and I wanted more variety of stiches, and some other modern features. My first project was a fleece baby bunting, but even though the fabric wasn't very thick, it didn't always seem to feed very well. And at the junction of seems where there were several layers, I had to "walk" it by hand (turn the wheel myslelf slowly for each stich.) And when I was inserting the zipper, I noticed the foot will be either on the right or left, but there is no way to set the distance from the zipper, like every other machine I have used. Zippers come in many different sizes!

My second project was to sew some clear vinyl covers for appliances. What a pain! It was just a medium weight vinyl I bought at the fabric store, but it kept sticking to the machine, and would barely feed at all. The stiches were very uneven, and there were big loops of thread in the seam. I finally gave up and got out my trusty old White sewing machine. That old girl sewed the vinyl like a dream.

I think the problem is that there's no pressure regulator, which controls how much pressure there is on the pressure foot. And when I was basting on the fleeece fabric, the longest stich was pretty short. Again, if the foot had more pressure, it may have been different.

My review isn't totally negative. I'm probably going to enjoy this machine with ordinary fabrics, and I'm sure I'll have fun with the fancy stiches. Hopefully it will let me express my creativity. I wil defintely use the blind hemming, etc.. (My old machine only has straight and zigzag.) Threading was very easy, as was changing the zipper foot and putting in the bobbin. Not having to oil it will be nice, and I like the long warranty. The manual was pretty clear. I'm sure this is a good choice for beginners, and many other sewers. But if you're very experienced like I am and used to being able to adjust your machine to the task you're doing, you might be as frustrated as I was. I don't think I'll even try it with denim or canvas, unless it's just one seam. I wonder how it will handle something like slippery silk. I think it was worth the price I paid, but glad I've kept my sturdy old White machine too.
44 comments| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2007
I highly recommend this sewing machine. I purchased it in January, but wanted to use it awhile before writing a review. Since then, I've used it to make 5 large drapery panels and it's been a wonderful machine. Several of the panels I made were lined and made of heavy fabric and the machine handled it well. I experienced a couple jams on the really thick folded over portions, but nothing that wasn't easily fixed.

This is the first computerized machine I've used. I was accustomed to an old heavy duty Singer. It felt very light at first, but I've grown to like that aspect -- it's much easier to put it away when not in use. The machine was easy to learn; it had a very clear instruction manual. My favorite features so far are the blind hem stitch and the self-threading needle.
on March 6, 2007
I bought this machine on 17 February 2007 and packaged it for return on 6 March. At first, it worked like a gem, the instructions were easy to understand, and I completed 2 garments using it. But then on the third garment, the fabric started bunching up and the thread kept getting caught on the bottom, and I kept receiving "E6 tangled thread" error messages. I took the bobbin case apart, cleaned it with the little brush and then attempted to replace the bobbin case. I could never get it back in properly. I tried everything, changed needles, tension, stitches, etc, followed all the suggestions on Brother's website and still couldn't get it to work. I called Brother's customer service the next day and the person took me through all the steps again and was only able to get about 4 inches of stitces before it crapped out on me again. Even though the machine was still under warranty, her only suggestion was that I take it to the service center, 150 miles away. Fortunately, Amazon has agreed to refund my money and I have decided to have my old Singer fully serviced, as it will be a much more reliable machine in the long run. Don't waste your money on these little cheapo models, you'll spend more time messing with breakdowns then sewing.
on November 30, 2005
hi peoples

I recently purchased this sewing machine and it is fantastic it is only the second time i have ever used a sewing machine, so i am a real amateur! and with this machine (got it 3 weeks ago) i started sewing pretty much in a minute straight out the box, super easy to use and fun,

I would definately recommend this sewing machine, it works great and i am super happy with it!!

Dana, 18, Carlsbad, California
on March 17, 2007
I was looking for an inexpensive sewing machine to sew craft items, and to sew through thick fabrics. This machine was a replacement for a machine that would have cost more to repair than to replace. I also wanted to try a computerized model, but just needed basic stitches. The top loading bobbin is definitely a bonus, and the machine's light weight is also a plus. I still have not figured out how to use the self-threading function. The machine does struggle a bit with the thickness of fabric layers I am sewing, but it still gets the job done.
on March 5, 2007
This was a fine machine until 2 months after the warranty ran out. Then I began to get a ERR 6 error. Cleared the thread, still no luck. I took the machine to a Brother certified service center. They advised they couldn't find anything wrong, except that it didn't work and could not help any further. They advised to return it to the manufacturer. When I called Brother, they advised my only alternative was to take it to another Factory Service Center. I did, same story. It appears that neither Brother or their Factory Service Centers care if their products stop working once the warranty runs out. That type of service I can do without. This one went into the trash, a $180 lesson in what brand NOT to buy. I don't yet know what my replacement will be but it will absolutely not be a Brother.
on October 26, 2006
I am a complete beginner and have had lots of fun with my machine and am totally hooked on sewing. However, in the 3 months I have had it it has been sent away twice with alignment and various other problems with the bobbin case and motor. I am really disappointed. One person who looked at it thought that I had been sewing fabrics that were took thick; I have been making bags that have two layers of fabric and a layer of interfacing, but even given the price, I feel that the machine is not value for money if it cannot cope with this. Overall, when it works it is a great machine - maybe I have been really unlucky - but I am not sure I would buy it again.