Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

on April 28, 2005
Bought this to have a fax machine at home. It was easy to set up. Doesn't take up much space on the desk and you have a built in phone with caller ID, too. The copy machine part of fax makes nice clean copies, too. This wouldn't be very cost effective if you are going to receive a lot of faxes or make a lot of copies. It is great for someone like me who has to fax stuff for work occasionally and doesn't want to drive to the library and pay $2.00 a page.
44 comments|583 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2006
I actually picked this fax machine up at a local retailer when I saw it in a weekly advertisement. It was 30 bucks after rebate. I thought it would be a great value since I occasionally (but not often) need to fax for the business I run out of my home.

I'm very technical, so I was pleasantly surprised by all of the features backed into this inexpensive unit.

I'm highly skeptical of any inexpensive printing device, since manufacturers usually get your money on the replacement ink cartridges. I had no intention of using this machine for printing anything -- only SENDING faxes.

I was aware that fax resolution is always low compared to resolution of scanning a document or photo copying it. But, I figured all fax machines would be equally "low resolution". How tough can it be to hit a low standard?

The first thing I did was to send myself a fax by directing it to an incoming fax service I use (j2.com). I was disappointed. Upon digging into the specs of several fax machines I noticed that most decent fax machines provide 300x300 resolution (that seems to be the max...but is also very common). This fax machine provides less (note fax and copy resolutions are different).

I also noticed fax speeds are different: This fax machine advertises 15 sec per page. HPs I've looked at range from 3-6 seconds per page. HPs also handle color faxes. Entry-level HPs seem to run about $99 retail.

I also noticed that when I picked up the chinsy plastic handset I had static/noise in the background. Not obnoxious, but noticeable.

All in all, I'll pay a little more for something better. But if you don't care about fax resolution or speed, this may be fine for you.
66 comments|609 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 14, 2006
This fax is perfect for the home. Takes up little space, inexpensive to operate and very reliable.

It is NOT a business machine on any level. As with most things in life you get what you pay for, and this fax provides great value for its price.

Pros: plain paper, small footprint, easy to use

Cons: transfer cartridge annoying to replace. We rerolled it twice and it is still good (cheap, I know, but then I bought a cheap fax...)
11 comment|172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2005
I needed a fax machine I could use with my existing phone, answering machine and single phone line. This has been a great purchase. I don't receive or send many faxes, but this is fine for occasional use. This machine would probably not be the best choice if you plan on getting lots of faxes.
0Comment|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 4, 2008
I purchased this item through a "special deal" very cheap. I've read several of the comments about the machine, but there's one thing that I don't see explained, and I wish I had known about it before I had made my purchase.

This is indeed a "plain paper" fax machine. But it does NOT use "toner" or an "ink cartridge". It uses a "ribbon". What they call the "ribbon" is actually a looooong sheet (spool) of carbon paper (or something like it) on a roll. The number of pages you receive equals the length of "carbon paper" which will be used, no matter if the entire page is filled with print, or only two lines. I've also seen people complain about the quality. Again, I remind you that the machine uses "carbon paper" and you should expect "carbon paper" type results. Personally, I'm not looking for great detail in the faxes I'm receiving anyway, so it's fine. Though I rarely receive faxes, and mostly just send them, it's still going to use-up the roll of "carbon paper" when the machine is unsure if the fax you were sending to received the fax you were sending. . . because it prints-out a notice. Printing-out a notice takes-up one page on your "carbon paper". I have read where some people have said that they rolled the carbon paper back onto the spool, so that they could get more use out of it. Well, the risk with that is that if you're receiving an important fax, and it happens to be at the place on the spool where another fax came through. . . then you're probably not going to be able to read your important fax because the "carbon paper" spools were meant to be used once, and there's not going to be any "ink" left for the machine to print. The reason that this machine is so cheap is not because it's a bad machine. . . but because you're going to have to keep purchasing the rolls of "carbon paper".

I think, in the end, you have to look at the overall cost. Compare the cost of this machine, along with having to purchase the rolls of "carbon paper", and then compare it to a fax machine which uses toner or an ink cartridge and see. . . price wise. . .which is going to work best for you. If you're only sending faxes, and never receive, then you and re-roll the "carbon paper" after it runs out from printing notices, and you should be fine.
33 comments|103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 28, 2006
I use this only about 5-6 times a month, so no heavy use; but it works well, goes fairly quickly, hasn't jammed or had a line error yet, and the faxed pages are clear and legible. Easy to setup and program, took about 5 minutes to set name, phone #, and other stuff.

Look in the new and used section-I got this for $30 including shipping. Good price for a good machine.
on August 3, 2007
While I didn't buy the Brother Fax-575 from Amazon, I did use the reviews in deciding if I should purchase this fax. While I don't consider myself a tech geek, I do consider myself a due diligence shopper. I read reviews about the quality of the faxes both receiving and sending and was concerend. But at the price, I decided to take a chance. If you are expecting crystal clear, sharp faxes, this is not the machine for you. If you intend to use this fax for minimal use and don't want to run to the local Kinko's, this is perfect. I did test send and receive faxes and am more than satisfied. Hope this helps.
0Comment|115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2005
The machine was cheap and has lots of useful functions. Copy and fax with variable resolutions is a very use one. Setup was a snap. Don't know how long the included toner will last but I use the machine rarely. It is worth the investment.
22 comments|50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon March 9, 2006
other people have written good reviews on this product. So I will tell you about the customer service.

I called the 800 number at 3PM est. and told them my fax mach was missing the curly phone cord for the hand set. the lady asked me to please hold came back about 3 min later and said they would send a replacement cord. i thought to myself that was TOO EASY. the very next day at 11AM i pulled out of the driveway of my house and noticed a package on the doorstep. I though wow what could that be? YES it was the phone cord. Brother send it next day air I had it in hand in less than 20 hours.. i wish sony had service like that.. good luck

dave
on November 18, 2005
Fax quality is poor. Copy quality is worse. Jams easily both scanning and printing. Prints a full page report for every fax sent (or attempt). Will not retry failed faxes. Requires a very clean line to transmit/recieve, so it fails repeatedly when sending/recieving out of town faxes. Also, beware the very short time period to claim rebate.

Simply put, this machine is garbage.
22 comments|127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse