5.0 out of 5 stars Very fast, easy to set up with Mac OS X, and cheap.
I had considered purchasing a laser printer in the past, but my little inkjet seemed more cost-efficient. Now that I'm into my dissertation and need to print 20+-page articles every few days - sometimes 9 or 10 at a time - the inkjet is no longer useful for my purposes. I saw this printer for very cheap at Staples and decided to go for it.

I am unsure about...
Published on January 11, 2008 by Peter Beddow

1.0 out of 5 stars Printer works fine, but a total scam with toner.
This printer works pretty well, the only problem I've had has been a few paper jams. If the rating was based on the printer only, I'd give it 4 stars.

Published on November 12, 2009 by Snail

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fast, easy to set up with Mac OS X, and cheap., January 11, 2008
This review is from: Brother HL-2140 Laser Printer (Office Product)

I am unsure about real-life cost-effectiveness, since I've only had the printer for a few days. I am still using the starter toner that came with the printer. It has lasted through about 250 pages of full text so far. I ordered the high-yield (2,500-page) toner from Staples for $61 including tax. Drum replacement looks to be about $100 every 12,000 pages (every 4 toner cartridges). That says it will cost about $350 every 12,000 pages or so, if the printer lasts that long.

This printer is small and light, and very simple. When it runs out of paper, it gives the red error message. You add paper, press the single button, and it works again. Startup-to-print time is very quick - less than 10 seconds after flipping the power switch. I was stunned at how fast pages came out of this little thing (quicker even than the HP 2300 I have in my office). And yes, the lights in my apartment dim when it prints.

I use this with a Macbook Pro over Airport Extreme (it worked! first try!)

I am confident in my purchase. (But not so confident that I waived the $15 warranty option when I purchased from Staples for $69 after rebates!)

2 caveats: this printer does not come with a USB cable (but my $3 USB 2.0 cable worked just fine.) As I said, it only comes with a starter toner, which is supposed to last only 250 pages (mine has lasted exactly that, and no fading yet).

1.0 out of 5 stars Printer works fine, but a total scam with toner., November 12, 2009
This review is from: Brother HL-2140 Laser Printer (Office Product)

But unfortunately the printer will stop working when the toner is supposedly low. Of course, Brother had to make the printer stop working because otherwise you'd see that there was still toner. My printer stopped working after about a week with the "toner is out" message, which was ridiculous. Fortunately there is an easy way out of this scam, simply put some opaque tape on the transparent window area by the gear on the toner. My printer has printed hundreds of pages since the printer stopped working due to low toner....

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, April 22, 2008
This review is from: Brother HL-2140 Laser Printer (Office Product)
The HL-2140 printer is a good value. It is fast and fairly quiet while producing high quality prints. I have an HP LaserJet 1022 as well, and this printer seems to make prints of comparable quality. The HL-2140 is fairly space efficient, so it fits on a medium-sized desk without taking up too much space.

On the downside, I have had some problems printing some PDF files. The HL-2140 will occasionally print only the first page and the print queue will stop. It is either a problem with the printer driver or Mac OS X 10.5, as I can resolve the issue by restarting my computer. It's disappointing, but I'm confident I'll get the issue resolved either by another driver or Mac OS update. And for the little that I paid for this printer, it isn't a big issue for now.

Also on the downside, the HL-2140 doesn't have a very robust manual input tray. It cannot hold a stack of paper -- you literally need feed one sheet in at a time as it prints. I have tried to print on 4x6 notecards, and the HL-2140 simply gave an error message. I haven't yet tried printing on envelopes, but I'm somewhat suspicious it will work well. I've had little trouble printing on different sized media with HP printers in the past -- if this Brother printer can do it, it isn't quite as obvious or intuitive.

Overall, this is good for occasional use on standard 8.5" x 11" paper. If you need to print on various media or use the manual input tray often, this isn't the right printer for you.

******UPDATE 11/21/08*******

The issue of printing PDF files using Mac OS X 10.5 has resolved itself. I have no idea how the problem was fixed as there have been multiple updates of printer drivers, Mac OS X, and Adobe Reader that have occurred in the meantime.

I'd like add a point about the manual input tray in response to a post here. In contrast to the HL-2140, my HP LaserJet 1022 is capable of handling several pieces of paper at once in the manual input tray. That is, if I'm printing on a different paper stock than what is in the standard input tray, I can load several sheets and have them securely sit in the manual input tray (though not more than 6-7). The HP printer will print on one sheet from this tray at a time until the tray is empty. This Brother HL-2140 is incapable of doing that -- you do have to manually feed one sheet in at a time and stand by the printer to do it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Printer, Ink Is a Rip-Off Though, November 28, 2009
Desi (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brother HL-2140 Laser Printer (Office Product)
This is a great printer - excellent quality and easy to set up.

However, the ink is definitely a rip off. The printer will actually stop working when it thinks the toner is low. Therefore you have to replace it until it will work again... or so you think. There's a sensor on the right side of the toner - if you put a piece of black tape over that sensor, the printer will think it has enough toner. My printer did this about a month ago, and I have printed about 400 pages since. Definitely do not listen to the ink warning. It is in the company's best interest to make you replace the toner more often. Instead, use the black tape trick and let it run until it starts streaking. Then you know it's actually low.

This is a highly recommended, inexpensive printer if you can get past the annoying toner warning.

UPDATE: I printed over 1000 pages (lowest quality settings, though you can barely tell the difference with just text printing) since my printer told me I ran out of ink. Black tape trick mentioned above is a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good! (And no page curl!), March 30, 2008
R. Gale (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brother HL-2140 Laser Printer (Office Product)
I needed a second laser printer for my office after my 1994 HP model finally died. I chose this one because it was inexpensive and because I've had a Brother 1440 laser printer at home which has been very good. The only downside to the 1440 is that it causes the pages to curl -- a problem that many older Brother Laser Printers have. I'm happy to report that there is no page curl with the 2140. I've only had this about a week, but so far it's great. Very simple to set up, and EXTREMELY fast. Note that this machine requires a USB cable which is not supplied, and the supplied cartridge is only rated for 250 pages, so you'll be spending a bit more money than just the cost of the printer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A super good value, February 24, 2009
Gregory Bascom (San Jose Costa Rica) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brother HL-2140 Laser Printer (Office Product)
After a month using this printer, I'm delighted. Compared to my ink printer, the brother prints at lightning speed. And every time I print something, I smile at the money I'm saving.

I am a writer but I often prints color photographs too, so I was using color photo printers for years. But in the midst of printing black on white manuscripts, a window would pop up to tell me I had better change the magenta cartridge or risk damaging the machine. I thought the machine might use a touch of magenta when printing black, but when the photo cyan cartridge gave out, I suspected something devious.

I calculated what I'd spent of ink cartridges for the past year and realized I could buy the brother HL-2140 plus enough toner to print 26 manuscripts of 400 pages each for the same amount. So I did.

The installation instructions that came in the box are clear, simple and precise. In ten minutes, I had the HL-2140 printing. But I had two problems.

Printing the same page on both printers, I noticed that the brother does not get the letters as black as the color printer does. Although the sheet printed on the brother is fine, no quibbling, I tried to get a darker print. In "print properties, advanced" I changed the resolution from 600 dpi to 1200, but noticed no difference between the two. I tried using "graphics" instead of "general." That didn't help either.

Reluctantly I accepted that when all else fails I have to read the instructions. The user guide did not come in my box, but I quickly found it on the brother website and downloaded the Acrobat file. I found the solution is the density adjustment slider, which is not easy to find. Go to Printer/Properties/Advanced/Device Options and select "Density Adjustment" for the list to activate the slider. This option does not work if 1200 dpi is selected or with Macintosh computers. But with Windows at 600 dpi, I could replicate the results with my ink printer.

My other problem was the brother printed last page first, forcing me manually restack the document. After reading the manual twice, I couldn't figure how to solve it. (Please stop laughing.) Finally, I discovered I had the "Reverse Print Order" box checked in the Windows printer options dialogue. Windows, not the print driver controls this option.

But reading the manual served me well. I learned the brother HL-2140 has an impressive array of duplex print options and other features. This machine is a super good value.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Deal, June 14, 2008
Big Guy (Northern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brother HL-2140 Laser Printer (Office Product)
I bought this printer when my Brother MFC 8600 started getting stuck in sleep mode. The price was the main factor.

It's very fast, and the print quality is excellent. It handles card stock and envelopes better than the 8600, but only if you make sure it grips the material (makes a little clicking sound).

It has its quirks. When printing a long document, manual two sides, the printer pauses for about three seconds at page 28, and again at page 52, as if it's catching its breath. Small pauses can be detected at other places during the job. Default is spooling the whole job, so there should be no pauses.

I experienced a few feed problems, but I haven't tried better paper to see if that solves the problem. I do fan the paper before placing it in the tray. It's more unwieldy to place paper in the 2140's tray than is the case with the 8600, but the tray does come out easily.

The paper seems quite a bit hotter when it comes out in comparison with the 8600, but it's also much faster. It seems faster than its rated speed. I'm not sure the toner lasts nearly as long as it's supposed to. The cartridge that came with the printer was 1000 pages. I used that and the tone light is on for the TN-360 2500 page cartridge. I'm pretty sure I didn't print seven reams worth of documents, all nothing but text.

All in all, an amazing deal for sixty bucks after rebate. At a hundred bucks, I'd shop around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Instructions for duplex, envelopes and booklet printing, October 22, 2009
This review is from: Brother HL-2140 Laser Printer (Office Product)
Great printer at a great price (around $50 on sale). Using Times Roman font was weak so I mostly use Arial that prints better on this printer. Covered window on the right side of the cartridge with opaque tape and the starter cartridge printed hundreds of pages after indicating empty.

Here are my notes for printing duplex, envelopes and booklets using Word 2003:

DUPLEX
From Bottom Tray (printing on face down side)
Print odd pages.
Put back with printed page up and top of page in front of tray.
Print even pages

Single Page Feed (printing on face up side)
Open back output tray to get straight feed (for heavy stock)
Page side to be printed top
Insert page underneath rollers - make sure page is grabbed by rollers
Return with top of page fed into slot
Print back side
Watch for skewed pages!

ENVELOPES
Open back output tray to get straight feed for envelopes.
Bring up Printer in Control Panel
Printing Preferences/Paper Size: Choose COM 10
Move guides to envelope size (use both hands)
Put envelope in Front Feeder with side to be printed up (visible)
and flap (bottom side) towards left side of printer
In Word 2003 choose Tools/Letters & Mailings/Envelopes & Labels
Print Envelope

Note: It wrinkled some. Brother advises to turn envelope 180 deg
& change direction in software or printer driver.

BOOKLETS (2 per page, 4 per sheet on both sides - Landscape)

Word 2003

Click on A:B
Manual Duplex
Flip on Top Edge

Click to print Even Pages
Wait till all even pages are printed
Return printed pages to tray
Printed face up
Top of page towards blue light
Click to print Odd Pages

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Low-Cost Laser, September 28, 2008
This review is from: Brother HL-2140 Laser Printer (Office Product)
This is by far the most inexpensive but capable laser printer I've ever used. I have worked in several businesses that use personal HP lasers, and they are nice, but they cost upwards of $600.

This printer literally does the same exact thing for a fraction of the price. In fact, I've had less problems with this so far than with the HP machines. Plug-n-play, no software installation necessary, and super easy network printer sharing setup via built-in Windows dialogues.

I'm in college now and I highly recommend this to anyone who wants laser quality and convenience and can afford a few extra bucks. It completely blows any cheap inkjet away. My roommate bought a cheap HP all-in-one and the included ink lasted about 3 days...not to mention multiple paper jams and the slowest print speed I've ever seen. This Brother hasn't even shown the slightest sign of being low on ink, and I've printed at least 100 pages so far on the sample cartridge. Now my roommate prints over the school network to my printer because his won't even power on.

Great buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD printer choice, with one criticism you'd want to consider, November 5, 2008
This review is from: Brother HL-2140 Laser Printer (Office Product)
I've been very happy with this printer: the text and graphics quality are good, it's fast, it's lightweight (but not delicate). It hasn't jammed once when working from the paper tray.

My one complaint is that the manual form feed slot is frustrating. It's a tiny slit, not a tray that holds and support inserted media, and the slit doesn't lead smoothly into the printer feed. As a result, I have to try placing feed-in paper with precision, finding just the right position for it to be accepted. It seems the printer could have had a smoother intake window for manual forms. When the printer isn't warmed up, my insertion of manually-fed media seems to baffle the printer and it goes into it's "red light" error mode, as if the printer is going, "What, what?? Who, me? Am I supposed to do something with this? I'm confused!" I have to remove the paper, click the printer off and on, and resume the effort with a "warmed up" device instead.

ADDENDUM: I've been having problems documents failing to print. The printer doesn't even warm up; it just fails. I have to cancel the print job, turn the printer off and on, and then everything works perfectly. I have no idea why, and have not seen thisproblem in other reviews.

Brother HL-2140 Laser Printer