on January 4, 2012
I have one of these that now has over 20,000 pages printed. It keeps going and going and going!

I use it to print black and white (of course) documents, sometimes hundreds of pages at a time. I just printed a 97 page document on legal paper that was printed in less than 4 minutes.

No, it's not wireless (someone gave it a 1 star review because of reading comprehension), BTW if you do any volume printing you don't want the printer to be in the next room, you need to monitor it so the papers don't pile up too high.

I have this sitting next to my inkjet all in one, which is color and wireless, so I have all the bases covered. I find myself printing with the Brother over 90% of the time. Who needs color for most stuff? Plus, the toner never dries up!

Buy it! Get generic toner and don't look back!
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I mostly print black and white (documents) and only occasionally need color. I was using so much black ink and so little color ink that it was getting costly to replace ink jet cartridges (HP), the color would actually degrade before I'd finished a whole cartridge. Clearly, inkjet, despite the convenience of scanning and copying, was not ideal for my use. I purchased this inexpensive laser printer, on the advice of my over-80 yr old mom, who said "Get a Brother laser printer if you're just printing b&w!" Mom knows best! I did just that and my experience has been excellent--read on for details.

Installation

This printer is easy to install. I unpacked the box and there was the usual picture card and quick-start sheet.

After you pull out the protective bands, you shake the toner cartridge and put it right back in. Then when you power up the printer (don't plug it into the computer, yet!) a test sheet will print out.

WARNING: This unit pulls quite a bit of power upon warm-up. It actually caused my surge suppressor to blink out due to the surge in power demand, and shut off my computer. Therefore, I put the printer on a separate outlet on its own surge suppressor power strip (the computer is on a battery backup surge suppressor.) You may wish to do the same.

After the test page prints, you shut off the printer and install the driver from the supplied CD. A nice feature--the installation software will go to the internet to download later versions of the driver, something I used to have to do manually--that is, the CD might be out of date and I'd go to the Brother website to load the latest version of the driver. This installation software does that for you.

As the driver loads, it prompts you to put in the USB cable (if that's what you are installing--you can also do network) and then turn on the unit. NO USB cable was supplied with this printer, so you'll have to use a standard USB to printer cable of your own.

After the installation, I registered the printer and it checked for updates to the firmware.

Printing

Printing is fast and simple. If there are error conditions, the LED's blink in various ways to alert you to the problem. There is a sticker included to place on the unit above the LED's and I suggest you put it on the unit, as the blinking lights are explained by the sticker. (Toner might be out, paper out, etc.)

Pages

The page capacity of the toner cartridge is 1200 pages. You can buy a high yield cartridge (2,800 pages) or a drum unit which will do 12,000 pages. These range in price from under fifty to about a hundred. Aftermarket (not original Brother) compatible cartridges are even less expensive, less expensive than the average inkjet cartridge. I have not used an aftermarket cartridge, so I don't know how well they work, but they are under twenty, so that's pretty inexpensive.

The initial toner cartridge that came with the unit lasted me about half a year--the warning light came on and the message popped up to replace it--but I happen to know that cartridges can sometimes have about 30% or more toner left in them, so I ignored this light for another few months and was able to print with no problems. (Like a gas gauge on a car, it is not so accurate to tell you what's left. Some cars are running on fumes if you are near E but others have miles left in them, so it's one of those things you kinda figure out.) I had heard that toner cartridge indicators on this model are rather pessimistic about how much toner is left and it's true. But I bought a replacement cartridge to have on hand when it did finally fail to print properly.

Summary

For black and white printing, this printer may well be a better, more cost-effective printer than the average inkjet, and the cost of consumables is a lot less. If you mainly print black and white, this might be your "duty printer."
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 29, 2012
Verified Purchase
This is my second Brother HL2230 that I buying for our office. I bought the first one a couple of months ago. We needed another printer and I went with the one I already know will do the job. We mostly use it to print shipping labels and it definitely does the job well. No issues with the printer itself what so ever. We have printed a few thousand labels so far. The only complain is that the toner is relatively expensive, but thats how they get you. It is the same with most printer manufacturers. Luckily you can buy after market toner or simply buy toner powder and refill cartridges yourself.

Highly recommended. I dont think there is any other product in the market that will beat this unit by price and quality.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 20, 2012
Verified Purchase
I was seeking an inexpensive monochrome laser printer for some relatively light non-profit organization printing. At home I own a similar but more expensive Brother unit. After reviewing many specs and noting the fair price this one (model 2230) looked like a good choice.
I am very satisfied with the printing from the tray and the options such as the ability to save toner when this mode is set. It is fast (24 ppm claimed) and in normal printing from the tray reliable.

It is however just AWFUL if you want to print envelopes (e.g., using Microsoft Word as the program). I have only tried in on regular #10 business envelopes. In this case at best they come out wrinkled and worse case the error light comes on and it won't print even if there is no jam. I have to power down, wait for it to "clear" itself, and try again.

So if you just want to print 8 ½" x 11" documents, you'll be happy. But if you want to also print envelopes save yourself a lot of frustration and buy some other printer.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 16, 2014
Verified Purchase
Good personal printer. While this printer isn't made for massive printing jobs, it does an excellent job of printing smaller jobs with no problem. The only problem is Brother's toner sensor that will prevent the printer from printing when it senses the toner is low. Take a little piece of electrical tape and a paper clip to tuck it snugly into the clear sensor opening on the toner cartridge at the ends. Eventually the toner will begin to discolor the page and will have to be replaced, but you can get as many as 1000 additional sheets out of a toner this way.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 24, 2012
Verified Purchase
I needed a laser printer and didn't want to spend too much. I've only had good experiences with Brother and it was a great deal so I couldn't resist. And this printer is great. Prints very quickly and cleanly. Replacement cartridges are reasonably priced. All around I am very happy with this purchase.
on May 19, 2012
Verified Purchase
For the money this is a fine unit. It was very easy to set up and continues to run without a hitch. The compact size is a great feature in my limited area.
on January 21, 2014
Verified Purchase
I have purchased over 8 of these and similar models on the low end brother laserjet spectrum of printers, 2170W's etc. These things all have issues with wanting their toner being replaced before they are actually empty. I found myself taping up the toner carrier to disable the level sensor so that the printer would just print until the toner was out. They are taking people to the cleaners with buying toner when they don't need it. That is actually minor compared to the solenoid that goes south after 3 years and the unit starts eating paper and jams on the second page pull. I have 4 units experiencing the same problem where the paper jams. The problems is documented as the paper feed solenoid sticks when it pulls away from a pad with too much glue. the pad is designed to muffle/mute the mechanical click associated with the feed. Poor engineering/programming for any longevity. They are building obsolescence into these cheap units. Brother can replace all my units before I take down this review. Never again brother, never again.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 1, 2012
Verified Purchase
I only need to print out text, crossword puzzles, and generally things that don't require color. So this printer has been perfect. It's fast and quiet. It works in both Windows 7 and Linux.
I don't do enough printing to be able to say how much toner it uses, and when I do print, I always do it in draft mode.
The only complaint I've had is that if I don't specifically set the borders of my document in from the edges of the paper, in the printer setup, it can occasionally end up printing 4 or 5 pages, instead of one page. For example, if I have a gif image of a crossword puzzle to print out, and in the setup, I leave the edges of the puzzle at their default location, against the left and top edges of the paper, the printer will print it out in sections, splitting up the crossword and accompanying text onto several pages. Very strange, but it's never repeated that problem now that I always set the borders at a half inch on the left and the top.
on May 14, 2012
Verified Purchase
this has been a fantastic printer for the money. I purchased this for my purchasing manager. She also has customer service responsibilities and prints about 30 - 40 pages per day. The printer is very quiet and extremely fast. The design is nice and the darker color matches most of the new computer equipment. The only reason that I did not give it a 5 rating is becasue the starter toner cartridge only lasted 1 week, which gives me reason for conern on the standard Toner cartridge. Other than that, I would definitely give it a 5!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations