4.0 out of 5 stars Great labeler but does waste tape at beginning
At first, I found it wasteful to have 1" feed before each label. Brother web site does explain why and, once you know why, you should be able to avoid wasting all the tape.

[...]

Simply put, set the margin to NARROW and apply CHAIN PRINT or

print multiple copies (up to 9) of the same label or

combine labels into one big long...
Published 14 months ago by Susan

2.0 out of 5 stars Works great, one problem
The product works great, lots of control over fonts and font sizes. But I have one problem with it, and that's all the empty space at the beginning and end of each print. I end up having to manually trim that which is a bit frustrating. If there were some way to fix that it would be perfect.

Update:
12/20/2013 - I have removed two stars from the review...
Published 17 months ago by Hostage67

4.0 out of 5 stars Great labeler but does waste tape at beginning, August 12, 2013
This review is from: Brother Easy Handheld Label Maker (PTH100) (Office Product)

[...]

Simply put, set the margin to NARROW and apply CHAIN PRINT or

print multiple copies (up to 9) of the same label or

combine labels into one big long label ( there is a max # of characters) and print once then cut with a pair of scissor.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great product, January 18, 2013
I bought this product on 01/16/2013 it was on sale at another place, but I just wanted to go on the record and explain. I have the P-Touch 80 which is great but was in the mood for some more options which this has. The instructions are easy to follow and the love the frames and that you can make the labels any length you want. You have more functions to change on the fonts and it has little emoticons you can print which is really good if you don't want to say to much. I found that the reason some characters were left out is because I needed to set how long the labels length, because if you leave in on Auto it will print a long piece of label. I have been printing all morning and I have not had any problems. So give the machine a chance it does have some great functions. And you can get tapes on amazon really cheap which i am going to stock on.

2.0 out of 5 stars Works great, one problem, May 4, 2013

Update:
12/20/2013 - I have removed two stars from the review because the product is now dead. I barely used it, haven't even gone through the included tape and it just died on me. No abuse or misuse occurred with this unit. I live alone with no kids so I know everything that this unit has been through and I made roughly half a dozen labels or so shortly after getting it. A few days later I made another couple labels, then a few weeks later when I attempted to use it again, it just wouldn't power on anymore. Tried fresh batteries just to be sure, but still not functional.

While I didn't expect this label maker to last forever, I did expect it to make it through at least a tape or two before dying. I have since purchased an Epson label maker instead and have been really happy with that label maker. It seems to be much better quality already.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, But..., January 1, 2013
Book Carpenter (Catskill Mountains, NY) - See all my reviews
I have a larger a Brother label maker, a P-Touch III, that is over ten years old, and it works fine. I ran out of tape for it, and the tape I had in storage was messed up. I wanted to print right away, so I bought this PT-H100. Unfortunately, it does not print as well as the older one. Toward the end of the printing, characters are sometimes compressed, or a character will be left out. Trying to print again just wastes the tape.

The PT-H100 does have some nice features and adjustments, but if it can't print perfectly, what good is it? I've discarded the packaging, so rather than return it, I'll keep it and make the best of a bad situation. If you buy one of these, keep the packaging in case you want to return it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but batteries and tape will eat you out of house and home, January 28, 2013
Works well, nice labels, nice features. Burned through my first set of batteries about half way through the first "starter" tape. Also puts about a 3/4" leader on each label, so if you print many short labels, you get to use about half the tape and throw the rest away.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wastes Batteries and Lables, July 28, 2013
This is an awful label maker.
I got mine for about $10 (new) and still do not think that it was worth it.

Pros
-cheap

Cons
-not qwerty (I find it extraordinarily slow to use)
-eats batteries (even when this thing is off it kills your batteries. I have used less than 1/2 of the (short) starter labels and am on my third set of (alkaline) batteries*)
-wastes label (I make short labels and the machine always puts giant (unavoidable) margins on either side of the (somewhat expensive) tape. I would estimate that on a one or two word label I have to trim off as much blank tape as I use)
-no jack for an AC adapter (really, how much would it cost them to do this? (I will install my own))
-non intuitive interface (Perhaps I will get use to it but I find myself constantly making mistakes (and I am a quite capable hardware/software user))

There is no way I would recommend this unit.

*with my second set of alkaline batteries (tested before use) I printed 6 labels, turned it off and when I came back in 15 days they were toast. I had emailed Brother, they suggested that I try another set. I emailed them again and they did not respond. My third set I remove from the unit when not in use.

/Richard

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY! NO Power Supply Batteries Die even when not being used, June 12, 2014
I purchased this to save money.. I used it 2 times. I came back 1 week later use it again and my brand new batteries were dead. It seems to drain batteries even when not being used? Now I have to go buy a brand new label maker with a power supply. Keep in mind its not that this item does not come with a power supply.. It does not have any support for any power supply anywhere on the device., I looked and looked and looked.. No power supply port anywhere. Keep this would be perfect if it came with a power supply. I would say if you have a bunch of rechargeable batteries than this may be a good buy ..

5.0 out of 5 stars husband loves it, May 1, 2013
He has spent hours and hours labeling things! He says it is really great and highly recommends it to anyone looking for a versatile and easy to use labeler.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of creative options., December 25, 2013
Good product. Bought it to label my spice jars. Only criticism is that it wastes too much tape. SUGGESTION: use the "Narrow" option for the Margin setting to waste the least amount of tape. Has options to have decorative icons, borders, fonts, etc. Overall, I'm happy with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Batteries die on queue just as reviewed., April 22, 2014
Stay FAR away from a product that drains the batteries even when it's off. I cannot for the life of me understand how a company like Brother can sell a product with a KNOWN issue and not get sued. I should have listened to the reviews because the batteries WILL DIE if you don't remove them. WAKE UP BROTHER.