5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the 2800
If you're in the market for a fax machine this is the one. I also owned the Brother 2800. This is the new and revised version of the 2800. Apparently Brother does improve upon their faults. You can see my review on the 2800 and the downfalls. For a re-cap:

Published on November 3, 2005 by M. Chen

1.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL. JUST AWFUL.
Published on August 4, 2006 by Bad movie buster

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the 2800, November 3, 2005
M. Chen "MC" (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brother IntelliFax 2820 Laser Fax Machine and Copier (Office Product)

1. 2800 had paper jams when using old paper. The 2820 has a paper feeder like their printers which greatly reduces jams. (I also own brothers laser printer) Now I can use recycled (one-side already printed) paper and not have to deal with jams. Also 2820 holds much more paper in its tray, so you wont have to worry about running out.

2. 2820 has a new feed system which reduces jams when faxing out. I had problems faxing 20+ pages with the 2800, now none with 2820. However they say there is a limit to 20 pages (just add more pages as they feed through).

3. The only downfall is the toner is slightly more expensive. It does print more pages, but does cost a bit more. Fax machine is more expensive also.

Overall, if you don't want to deal with the 2800 problems then pay the extra money for the 2820 and feel confident with its performance. If money is an issue, get the 2800. Personally the few extra bucks is worth it over aggravation when trying to fax/receive.

Another added bonus feature: This fax can also connect to the computer through USB allowing to work as a printer. I currently have this set-up and works very well. Have no issues priting with this fax machine. Great feature if you don't want to buy a printer. (2800 does not have this feature)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Machine!!!!, January 19, 2006
John R. Hunter (Clinton, MO United States) - See all my reviews
We've went through a lot of machines in our business, several different cannon multipasses, lexmark x125, and even an hp or two. I was a little apprehensive to try the brother as most of their products looked a little wonky. Not this machine though. This thing is solid. The architecture is great. The features are easy to use. (please note we use this as a stand alone fax and as an occasional copier, but not as a printer, so you will have to do your own research on that part) We have two fax lines and two machines, and speed is an essence in our job. I was a bit worried that this thing would take a long time to wake up, warm up and print, but it doesn't. No matter how long the machine has set there unused it will be warm before the first page of the fax is received and print it out about two seconds later. The paper tray is great and easy to load.

The only things that brother could improve we be a 500 sheet paper tray (it has a 250 sheet tray which is miles ahead of others, but it would be nice not to have to split the paper pack when you load it.

The other thing would be an LED that would signal that an error has occurred, a paper jam, or no paper warning. At present you have to look at the screen and it's a bit small so it would be nice to have a little more alert if the machine has malfunctioned.

If you are looking for a great stand alone fax, this is the one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value, April 9, 2006
Derek Hofmann (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this fax machine to replace an inkjet fax which was really expensive on ink. It seemed like every other time I wanted to receive a fax or make a copy, I would have to replace the $25 ink cartridge again.

This fax machine makes copies much more quickly (and cheaply, and with better quality) than the old fax. It holds about twice as much paper. You can also schedule faxes to be sent later, and to multiple recipients.

One more advantage of this machine is that you can hook it up to a computer through USB and use it as a normal laser printer. I tried it, and it works great, and FAST compared to my HP Deskjet.

If you're concerned about junk faxes wasting money on ink, or if you want ot make a lot of copies, or if you need both a printer and a fax machine and want to save money by buying just one, this machine is a very good investment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tone End Life Error Fix, March 29, 2007
If you get a Toner End Life error that you can't clear this will work . . .

Open front cover, leave toner cartridge in unit.

Press options button, when "Replace Drum?" comes up quickly press the Start button. Immediately press the "1" and "0" button. The display will say "Accepted" and the error will go away. Make sure you enter those buttons quickly or it will not take.

1.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL. JUST AWFUL., August 4, 2006
I am shocked by the amount of positive reviews on this site. Let me tell you about my experience. I bought this machine in June of 2005. In one year, I have replaced this machine THREE TIMES. All three times, I got error messages that the toner cartridge was out (Toner Life End) even when new toner cartridges were put in. I do give high marks to Brother for its customer service, though. Each time I had a problem, I called and they sent out a replacement by FedEx along with materials for me to send back the broken one. But when the fourth replacement arrived last week and I turned it on and got an immediate paper jam message, I had enough. I had a similar issue with a Brother mutlifunction machine I purchased around the same time. I am done with Brother products.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overall, but..., April 30, 2006
David deJongh (Carrollton, TX United States) - See all my reviews
We bought this machine to replace the ancient Panasonic plain paper fax we've had for about 10 years. We do very little faxing, but some of our contacts require fax communication, so we probably average about 200 sheets a year.
Overall, this machine has many excellent features - reading all the document sheets into memory before dialling, for example, and providing a "starter" cartridge that is good for 1500 sheets. There are, however, a couple of gripes. First of all, this is the second machine we bought: the document feed on the first one didn't work - the rollers rotated, but wouldn't pick up the paper. I am SO impressed with Amazon - I submitted a return on Sunday evening, and a new machine was delivered on Tuesday. The new one works fine.
Gripe #2 - I frequently have to send faxes to a credit bureau, whose fax line is often busy. The redial function is only good for one attempt, after 5 minutes. I don't want to have to get up every five minutes to retry manually - even the 10-year old Panasonic redialled every minute until it either got through or you told it to stop.
Gripe #3. You have to go through a 4- or 5- step process to change the receive mode. I only want the machine to be on Fax mode when I know a fax is coming in. Other times, it can be on Telephone mode. (Actually, there is a simple solution - just power it off)
Gripe #4. No Caller ID on the fax machine, and even in Telephone mode, it has to intercept the ring tone to let me know it's a phone call. That means that my 2nd-line portable phone doesn't get the Caller ID signal either. Not a big deal, because nobody except for random callers calls that number, but if you only have one line, you can kiss Caller ID goodbye.
Overall, however, a good machine for what I hope are the dying days for this technology.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, Compact Machine!!!, October 9, 2006
Robert (PETOSKEY, MI, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I've had very good luck with brother products! This is my fourth Brother product. We have a color laser printer, two black & white laser printers, and another fax. All have been very reliable and by looking around a little on the net you can find the supplies at very resonable prices.

This fax offers good features in a small footprint. We have an all Mac office, and this machine set up with no problems at all. It was just plug and use. The copier functions works well, it's nice to be able to put multiple pages in the feed and walk away while it quickly makes your copies. The staion id is easily set up, It also has 8 presets letting you use a single button send to those numbers you use a lot, A lastly it has a large paper drawer, allowing you to load 250 sheets of paper at a time.

This is a machine that should handle anything from a home fax situation to a medium sized office.

1.0 out of 5 stars brother once again..., December 15, 2006
Hi we purchased this machine (brother Intellyfax 2820) 14 months ago. In month 5 we started to hear a very annoying squeaky noise come out of our fax machine when printing. After 5 months of use we found out that it needed a drum replacement if wanted to preserve the sanity of our ears. At first we thought we will have to spend 10 o 15 bucks on this new part. To our surprise a drum costs $ 115 bucks !. Well, that is not all, we just found out that our fax machine displays the message "Toner Life End". Went to the store and purchased a $60 brand new original toner and put it back to the machine. Well, it keeps showing the same message. We called Brother and we are SOL because our warranty expired 2 months ago. Went online and realized that a bunch of other people have the same problem.. ohh God... that is it for me with the Brother family...

2.0 out of 5 stars could be better, May 11, 2006
This fax works great for small offices or homes. It is very fast and gives you a confirmation to let you know the fax went through. The only problem I have with it is it curls the paper so it is impossible to make copies or scan documents that come in. Also, any fax over 2 pages long gets jumbled up and ends up all over the floor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goos fax machine for small office, April 29, 2007
Anya Budinsky (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This is a good fax machine. I really like that it scans your document quickly and then sends the fax so you aren't standing there waiting for it to slowly scan and send each page. It scans, then dials and sends. It also beeps once its gone through so you don't have to stand over it to make sure it went through. It automatically re-dials if it doesn't go through the first time and prints a report to tell you if it doesn't go through at all. So you can leave the machine and know whether or not the fax was successful.

There were a couple reviews that said that it curls the paper when it prints, this is completely accurate. While this can be annoying I don't find it to be that big of a deal.

I also liked how long the toner lasted. My office has had this fax for about a year and I just replace the toner a month or so ago and we get about 10-20 pages in a day.

Rate and Discover Movies