5.0 out of 5 stars so far, quite an impressive machine
I bought this machine a couple of weeks ago. It is an upgrade for me from a VERY basic Brother machine. I bought mine at a sewing machine store; actually cheaper than Amazon and I get their expertise/service.

Published on November 17, 2008 by third time mom

1.0 out of 5 stars Sent it backn :0(
Published on March 2, 2011 by Dawn

5.0 out of 5 stars so far, quite an impressive machine, November 17, 2008
third time mom (Naperville, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brother PC-210 PRW Limited Edition Project Runway Sewing Machine (Kitchen)

One major feature I was looking for in my new machine is speed control. I am teaching my daughter to sew; this machine can be set to sew very very ssssslllloooww. Great when trying to teach a nine year old. Threading is pretty simple; there is a nifty automatic needle threader. I'm using it but threading a machine needle was never a big deal for me. I also like the automatic needle up feature. On every machine I ever used previously, I had to turn the wheel when done sewing a line to raise the needle. This machine does it automatically.

This Brother makes a very nice buttonhole; not as nice perhaps as a machine twice its price but still, just fine. It has this neat buttonhole foot in which you put your desired button in the back and it uses that button to automatically make the proper sized buttonhole. All in one step. This is WAY better than my old machine.

The bobbin is a top-drop-in. No more bringing up the loop, just put in in and sew.

One feature I've yet to use is a front stop/go control button. I guess that if you didn't want to or couldn't use a foot pedal you could use this button instead. I can see it being nice for buttonholes; you just position your fabric, push the "go" button, and it makes all the side of the buttonhole and stops automatically.

This machine trys to make things oops-proof. If you've ever jambed your machine because you started sewing with the presser foot up, well, that can't happen with this machine. If things aren't "right", it will give you an error beep.

Another nice feature is that the machine automatically sets an "ideal" stitch length/width. You can overide it but for the most part, the defalt is perfect, especially with the decorative stitches.

There are several decorative stiches; I haven't quite figured out the best way to put them to use but that's just my own lack of creativity.

One last nice feature is a built-in foot holder. In front of the free-arm is a flip-down compartment that has molded, labeled spots for all your feet. It comes with a standard foot, zipper foot, blind hem stitch foot, decorative stitching foot, overlock foot, button attacher foot, and buttonhole foot. Also in the compartment is a molded space for a seam ripper and 4 bobbins (included). I've found it nice to have all these feet in one spot. I have a couple specialty feet from my old Brother machine and they fit and work just fine on my new one. An added plus.

One note; this machine takes bobbins that are a bit thicker than older ones. Buy a bunch of new ones; they say old ones won't work.

All in all, I'm very happy. I'm glad I went with this model and would buy again.

***edited to add: my one gripe about this machine is that the built in lights are lacking. My old machine put out quite a lot of light; this one is MUCH dimmer.

5.0 out of 5 stars What and amazing FIND!, September 25, 2010
Marte "oilpaintingnana" (Along the Beautiful Ohio River) - See all my reviews
I have been using my Touch and Sew for forty years to make baby-children clothes, drapes, coats, Halloween costumes, you name it - struggling year in and year out with broken needles and jammed bobbins. What a quantum leap it has been to enter the market for a new sewing machine...The old zigzag idea has segued into the 21st century with a new face and awesome variations, all computerized and automatic.

After surveying the marketplace, looking at Singers, Vikings, Janomes, etc., I finally went into the Brother dealer who demonstrated the smooth Innovis-40 PRW. I loved it, but continued on my search, only to discover the PC-210 PRW. It is 5 pounds heavier, has a stronger motor at .7AMPS, more "extras" and especially more room ( 2 inches more) under the opening where I must reach to lift the Presser foot. I decided two weeks ago to buy that machine, the PC-210 PRW, from Amazon. I did not need all the extra stitches for embroidery that the PC-420 provides for $100.00 more.

The machine performs flawlessly. It is quiet and precise. Amazingly, the Presser foot moves with the contour of the fabric being sewn. I witnessed the PC-210 PRW sew through several layers of leather. I have sewn easily through four layers of quilted fabric. I love the speed control of the PC-210 PRW, while sewing with my 7 yr. old granddaughter. Threading is exceptionally simple and the automatic threader works every time. The bobbin is threaded with minimal effort and the bobbin thread is automatically drawn into the stitch when sewing begins. The automatic needle up ( or down) feature is convenient for turning corners and the reverse button ties the stitching row off easily. There is no need to ever turn the wheel to position the needle. This machine is jamb proof: it will give an error message if something is not done in the proper sequence or if the presser foot must first be lifted, etc..

The Brother PC-210 PRW makes great buttonholes; there is a special buttonhole foot in which you place your button. It uses that button to automatically make the proper sized buttonhole in one step.

I have used the front stop/go control, rather than the foot pedal to try it out. It does just fine, even though I prefer, from habit, to use the foot pedal. The PC-210 PRW will automatically set the stitch length/width, although I found the default for most stitches to be satisfactory.

I am discovering the fun of the embroidery stitches, however I do not generally need these options. I love the built-in foot holder located in the front of the machine. This compartment has molded slots for all the feet included with the PC-210 PRW. It comes with a seven useful feet. Kept in that handy compartment are many of the accessories, i.e., extra needles, bobbins, seam ripper, etc.

I am especially happy with the hard cover and the sturdiness of this machine. It is AWESOME to have all this precision at my fingertips. I have had no problems getting started, as the manual is very explanatory and explicit! I expect no problems down the road. Thank you Brother and Thank you Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than anything for the price, July 24, 2008
I shopped extensively before buying this machine, including reading reviews, asking folks and trying them at the shop. This machine is great. VERY easy to use, good manual, solid and attractive. So far everything I've tried has been easy and flawless. It quite literally makes sewing easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Machine!, August 30, 2010
This is by far the nicest sewing maching I've had in my many years of sewing. It is a delight to operate--so smooth and quiet, it doesn't vibrate or bounce at faster speeds.

It is electronic, has auto needle raising or lowering--you choose--it's easy to learn and intuitive to master. The instruction booklet is easy to understand and follow.

I love the way all the utensils tuck neatly away into an inside tray, giving the sewing machine a sleek, uncluttered look. Even the spool of thread is hidden inside the top housing! It is also easy to thread, both the needle and the bobbin. And everything, so far, has worked.

I highly recommend the Limited Edition Project Runway sewing machine!

5.0 out of 5 stars totally awesome!, November 21, 2010
This machine is unbelievable! It's such a quality piece of machinery that I actually enjoy sewing again. It's like owning a Porsch compared to a model T. It absolutely purrrrs when you sew, it responds to the slightest touch when you move the material around, yet has all the power you need for mending jeans. I love that whoever created this machine actually put some thought into what would make it easier to use - even down to a self-threading needle. You can switch to most of the embroidery stitches with a push of the button. No cassettes to find and install. An absolute joy - well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Value plus Customer Service!, December 18, 2010
Wow! Consumer Reports said it was the best value (price wise) compared to others that were thousands more. I couldn't agree more. And thanks to Amazon the price was even better. What an improvement over my old machine. This Project Runway PC-210 purrs like a contented feline. So quiet, so easy to use. I even thought I had a problem. Went online to the website for Brother. Found the name of the closest dealer, they found the glitch (machine was fine - operator doesn't follow directions well- LOL). I feel like I have two new friends - the machine and the helpful dealer. I expect to be sewing happily for years. Best Christmas gift I ever gave myself.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sent it backn :0(, March 2, 2011
Dawn (Slidell, LA United States) - See all my reviews
Got this machine 2 weeks ago to replace a 7 year old Brother machine that just died. The old machine had given me good service, so I went with another Brother. After weeks of researching machines and reading reviews, I decided on the Brother PC210 PRW. Thought it looked pretty good for the price. Boy was I wrong. It lasted for 2 weeks before it broke. Problems with the upper thread getting caught on something (a bur possibly?) and popping. AND I never could get the tension to adjust right. I'm not a sewing novice, I know my way around a machine. I tried everything I knew to try and then I went to the instruction manuel for help. Tried everything they suggested short of taking it to a service repair shop, to no avail. So, I packed it up and sent it back. On to the next.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE THIS MACHINE!!, February 6, 2011
Rebecca (Eastern United States) - See all my reviews
Last weekend I asked my husband to throw out my barely 3-year old Euro Pro Shark with all the bells & whistles, bought at a comparable price to this Brother PC-210. My Euro Pro Shark still looked brand new so I did not have the heart to throw it out myself, but research showed my problem was everyone's problem as well and likely not repairable.

Note the only reason I did not scale up to the Brother PC-420 is I do not need all the fancy stitches. I had them before, tried them, and do not have a use for them. The Brother PC-210 has sufficient fancy stitches for my personal purpose. It was so simple to set up and begin sewing. It is quiet, the light was better positioned, and more importantly, the bobbin case seems much more stable and less prone to coming loose and creating the myriad of problems I encountered with the Euro Pro Shark (research indicated everyone had the same irrepairable problem with the Euro Pro Shark bobbin case).

The Brother PC-210 comes with 4 bobbins, but I bought additional bobbins to make sure I am using the exact bobbin required. Using the wrong bobbin can mess up your machine, so if it "seems to fit," err on the side of buying the absolute correct bobbin for your specific machine.

Others have touted the options available on this machine, so suffice it to say I love this machine after using it one time! Very glad I purchased it and look forward to trying out all it's great features.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this machine!!!, November 14, 2010
I have owned this model for over a year now, and I love it!!! It is SO user friendly. I love that it threads the needle for me. I am so pleased with it that I am ordering one for my daughter for Christmas! Definitely a great investment!

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware, October 29, 2012
Before purchasing this machine I read the reviews and felt this was a good machine for the money. I have been sewing for over 30 years, and have sewn on everything from toy machines up to industrial/commercial machines.

For the first three months it was fine as I sewed periodically on clothing. Then one day I was sewing along at medium speed and heard a big CLUNK. Everything stopped, and the bobbin thread was all tangled and the bobbin case had partially jumped out of the bobbin race. Upon extricating my project from the machine, I was able to finally get the plastic bobbin casing out of the machine. I didn't even think about the warranty at that point; I just assumed I had done something wrong. So I went to the local Brother dealer and purchased a new bobbin casing, to the tune of about $30.

Everything appeared fine for another month or so, then I was again sewing along slowly on two pieces of cotton and CLUNK! It happened again. And I KNEW it was the machine, not me. The needle was not broken, although the I could not get the fabric out or even move the bobbin. Took it back to the local dealer who got everything taken apart, cleaned it and put it back together. Then HE sewed on it and it happened to him. So, my machine was in the shop for a week and all they could do was file the bobbin casing a little and hope it didn't "catch".

I have no faith in this machine. Amazon says it's been more than 90 days, so I cannot return it. Brother says it is under warranty (for now), but will not give me a replacement or refund. The local dealer wants me to trade it in on a better Brother model. AS IF.

DO NOT BUY THIS MACHINE!!