on January 5, 2012
We have had this about 2 months and it has been working good so far - no paper jams, feed problem, etc. Ink is reasonably priced. I like that the printer has a tray for the paper on the bottom. Wireless was easy for me to set up, but I can see how it might be confusing for less experienced users. Quality of prints and speed of copying is acceptable.

We mostly use this for making black and white copies, but do the occasional color prints. We do not do pictures. We have found it cheaper and easier to have our digital picture printed at the store.

The first cartridges do not last long because they are the "regular capacity" ones and because they use about half the ink to prime the system when first installed. This is due to the convenient location of the cartridges and the "plumbing" required to place them there. I like the design and expect the second set of cartridges to last a long time.

"Update" - 2-27-12 Still happy with the printer. A few problems with paper jambs, but we determined that to be the paper. This printer seems very conservative on ink and very easy to use. We still have not replaced a color cartridge and the black that we replaced says it is full still. Of course, the black cannot be absolutely full - but mostly. It is a little flimsy feeling compared to Canon MFC's, but it has held up well so far.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 5, 2012
My HP all in one finally stopped feeding paper, and I bought this MFC-J430W because we needed an economical printer. This is more than I expected. None of HP's software slowing everything down, and so easy to scan/fax/print anywhere on the home network. 2 desktop PCs and 2 laptops were easy to setup. It is a bit large,but that is because it fully contains the paper feed tray; which is good as the cats can no longer mess that up. Since it is WIFI connected to our router, the printer can be almost anywhere in the house instead of taking up space on the desk. The ink refills appear to be more economical in part because of the separate colors, and Brother is a bit less money, although not as readily available. Time will tell.
Only been running about 2 weeks, but so far so good.

Update October 9, 2012: Printer still running strong. Sometimes when ink is low it refuses to print the first time, but persistence eventually makes it print. Even when printing black only, if one of the colors is low, it will give a warning. Try again and it will print. Probably easiest just to keep spare ink around.

Update June 25, 2013: Printer still working as before. No new issues to report. Still very satisfied. Brother cartridges are easy to find, and slightly cheaper online.

Update January 5,2014: all still going well.

Update March 3, 2014: Stopped scanning to email or file on two desktop computers, one windows xp, the other 7.Eventually downloaded new files from Brother that fixed the problem, be sure to temporarily disable anti-virus while loading it. I believe that automatic windows updates created incompatibility with the original wi-fi drivers. Never stopped printing, just problems with scanning.
Also, some reviewers have mentioned problems with the ink level sensors. One can place a piece of opaque tape on the ink tanks and this will trick the printer into thinking it is full. You can continue printing until it is dry, if you like. I personally have not had to resort to this.
on October 13, 2011
I must say, I was so wrong. I always went for the big names when it comes to printers, I never thought of Brother as a major player in the high tech game like Epson, HP... I had an Epson CX4200 which never worked right on my Macs, Most of these nitwits stuck in the Windows mentality, they never know how to make Mac drivers, they never understand the meaning of the term User Friendliness, the drivers they provided are horrible, most of the time they don't work on the Mac unless you hack the crap out of it to get it to work like the Windows people do. We the Mac people are so spoiled, we want something that JUST WORK!!! HP is just as bad. One day, I was so mad I smashed the piece of Epson crap to the floor and started to look for a new printer. I came across the Brother MFC-J430w, it was on sale,
I never had a Brother product before, but I took a chance and bought it. After the easy set up, I am so very delighted that it works with my Macs seamlessly. the print speed is fast and of good quality, and I really love the fact that the replacement ink cartridges are very affordable (A whole set of ink cartridges for the Epson I had cost more than this printer!) and the location of the ink cartridges is on the front, very easy to get to,no need to dig into the inside of the printer, granted that the CD it provided is out of date for the latest OSX Lion, but they do have one on their website to download. I am so happy with this printer. I don't care much for all those fancy photo printing and I don't even print much, but when I do need to print, I just want something that works, and it does !! Once the driver installed, everything just works!! It even has an iPhone app you can download for free, which allows you to scan an image directly to your iPhone. the only thing is missing is the ability to print directly from the iPhone. if you are looking for a Mac friendly printer, I recommend it highly. Very nice job, Brother!! :)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 16, 2012
Verified Purchase
This is a good printer for the price, but the paper tray is extremely cheap and not easy to use. I purchased this printer for small office applications, and was drawn to the price and features (all in one). However, after just a few uses, one of the clips on the side of the paper tray cover broke. The paper tray is extremely cheap and fragile. In addition, it is very inconvenient to have to take it out to load different paper, as well as take all of the paper out to load a envelope. Time consuming and a pain to have to do this every time I want to change the paper type and more importantly, print envelopes. As stated, for the price, this is a great printer, but be wary of the cheap tray and constant loading and unloading of paper/envelopes.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 10, 2012
I started with Dell. Sent my printer in (under warranty with shipping labels provided) Never saw it again despite at least two dozen complaints filed all the way to the Governors office. Next was Hewlett Packard. Their machine NEVER worked properly. I was included in their class action suit and awarded $10. They even cheated me out of that. Then I bought a Brothers. It worked perfectly out of the box. Interfaces with my computer instantly and cost less than HP or Dell. Neither HP or Dell had a follow up review...just get the money. I am sold on Brothers quality and consumer satisfaction concerns. No 'print an alignment page' every time I power up my printer like HP did. And no 'disappearing printer' as happened with Dell. Finally a responsible company.
on March 24, 2012
Update. After using it for three months, I LOVE THIS PRINTER. It does everything it claims to do, and without fuss. I've owned a number of printers dating back to the dot matrix days. The HPs were good, but this Brother printer has so many more capabilities and I haven't had even a single paper jam. It's still running on the "starter" ink supply, although the black is about to run out. (I ordered generic ink replacements cartridges from Amazon, but haven't installed any of them yet.) I used a USB connection to my desktop Mac and a wireless connection from my MacBook. Both connections were relatively easy to set up using the excellent printed manual that comes with the machine.

Brother is a name that may be unfamiliar to many Americans, but it's been famous in Japan since the 1930s for making good sewing machines.

Bottom line: For the price, it's one heck of a printer. --JS 18 May 2012

This Brother printer replaced a Canon mono all-in-one that was so frustrating that I couldn't live with it anymore. The Brother installed easily, via USB cable, on my Mac -- I skipped the wireless installation. (Office Depot wanted $20 for a USB cable; I got one for $4 at Amazon, incl. "free" 2-day shipping with Amazon Prime.)

This printer is quiet and quick and does a good job printing, scanning and copying. (Haven't tried the fax function.) I don't use a printer very much, so it is adequate for my needs. I've only had it three weeks, but so far, I rate it as one of my better recent purchases.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 4, 2013
This printer is a decent value for the price.. until you run out of yellow ink and want to make a black and white copy. For some ludicrous reason you can't print ANYTHING unless all four cartridges are full, and they really don't last very long. This put me in quite a tough spot on several occasions. This is a ploy I wont play into next time. I will not be buying anything from brother again. Hope all the extra ink people buy is worth it, Brother! Meanwhile I have found a way to trick the sensors so I can print out my return shipping label gray scale without making a trip to staples first. Cut tiny pieces of electrical tape and place them on both sides of the clear window on the ink cartridge. It works!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 16, 2012
Update4-5-14 Still going strong. Has not clogged with cheaper generic ink. Have only had to clean head 3x. We still love it. Brother still updates software and app for it.

Wanted to give a quick review. So far it is great. Unpacked, put paper and ink in, chose manual wifi set up, not the push one button on router, as directed by Brother. Have had problems with that with many other devices. Put set up disk in installed all included programs. Set up program saw printer, and made firewall settings automatically. Took about 15 min to install all programs. Restarted computer for good measure.
While computer was re booting, I took out my ipad, went to email, chose print, brother was there, hit print and there it was. Simple and easy to Airprint. tested my iphone, and ipod touch. All worked fine. Installed Brother app. Its good, and adds some more print options from apple devices
Computer going, started some test prints. There are many options. Draft or fast worked well. Sorry, but I forgot to mention. Printer was only connected to wireless network. It is not a wireless desk top. Was very happy it easily connected to printer thru my router with out usb cable and I now have my ubs port free.
Then went to MacBook having installed nothing, opened a web page hit print. MacBook saw Brother and asked me if I wanted to use Brother. Said yes. MacBook got a simple print driver and was ready to print almost instantly. Thanks Apple. Its a simple printer driver, but good for average user.
Got to get kids ready for camp. Will update later
1st update printed a scrapbook page from brothers free site where you add your photos to there templates. Came out nice, but not great on plain paper. Also printed a photo that was super enhanced in contrast and saturation. Print was not great. Both were are on generic matte paper. Image was clear, but colors were off on enhanced photo. Printer was not on best setting.
2nd update: Printed 4x6 on cheap kodak glossy paper result pretty good. Printed using brother app from Iphone. If cheap ink 10 pack I bought from amazon keeps same results I will be very happy. With paper and ink about 3 cents a pic.
So Far 3 8x10, 3 4x6, 25 internet pagers in fast mode, and All show almost full, have to look close to see ink went down a bit.
So far will keep as the network is still working good. Had a power failure and everything worked by itself after power came back. This is great because I have cable, which gives a new ip address after power reset.
3rd update. Starter cartridges getting say low ink now 9/1/12 5 8x10, 10 4x6, 45 internet pages, 20 black docs. Still making clean prints, never had to clean printer head. Paper tray is a little annoying. If I want to print photos. It likes it better if I put 5 blank in even when I just want 1 photo. not really a big deal since paper tray must come in and out any way. This is also true with 8x10 prints. Im usually rushing to print for kids, have had some success putting 8 x10 over paper in tray, but must put in carefully, or it may grab the regular paper under it. Air print has always worked and makes life so much easier. Wireless scanning has been useful. Haven't had fax in a while, but its nice to know it is there. Document feeder has worked well for multi page copies.
Have not had any problem with ink evaporation, Also my printer can print in "Grayscale" when color is out. This may be an option of latest firmware. Would not recommend it all the time, as letting a very little color our while printing black keeps print head ready and clean when color printing is needed.

Bottom line great so far, was super cheap at BB. BrotherJ435w
on August 16, 2013
My first printer was a Brothers. It worked great for over five years and I only paid $50 for it. This one was $98 and from the start the printing was sub-par. The quality on fast print is so bad I don't even bother using it. After just 2 weeks of mild use, the ink was dried up. It was a real hassle trying to replace the ink cartridges and at this point I've tried to replace the magenta cartridge 3 times with 3 different cartridges but the machine can't detect it so it won't let me print at all- even in black and white. This junk is going in the garbage.
on February 15, 2012
I bought this printer at my local Office Depot. It's very close to my house and I love instant gratification. The set up was not so good for me. I'm usually pretty good at figuring things out but this one had me baffled. In the end it had something to do with the way my wireless was configured. I just waited until my son who's an apple tech (I was setting up my Mac) came for a visit and put him on the task. Now that it's done I'm loving it. Our house is tiny and my husband has his computer at a desk in the bedroom and I use my laptop at the kitchen table. I wanted wireless so I didn't have to get up and plug into the printer if I wanted to print something. I had been using an Epson and the ink prices were putting us in the poorhouse. I'm hoping for better with this one. I haven't found anything I don't like about this printer. The price was awesome and the footprint is nice and small. It puts itself into sleep mode when not in use so I never have to turn it off. Print quality is great although I haven't printed any photos yet.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations