Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on February 2, 2013
I've had the printer for about a month, and so far, I like it. It's a little slower than I expected, but other than that, it's lived up to my expectations. Setup was a cinch and could be done directly over wi-fi. I love being able to push a button on the machine, have it scan up to 20 pages automatically, and instantly convert them to a PDF in a folder that opens up on my computer when it's done.

I haven't had the chance to try photo quality yet, but I'd assume it's on the lower end at this price point.

It would be nice if the printer had a rear paper tray for times when I need to use specialty paper like envelopes or labels, since it's mildly annoying to pull the paper tray out. On the other hand, since it holds significantly more paper than my old printer, I have to refill it far less often.

Overall, while the printer isn't the best on the market, it seems like a great choice at this price range. It should do well in the average home or, possibly, the very small home office.
on June 16, 2012
I bought this for my office, after several years of flawless service by a Brother 490CW in my home office. This one is even better in several ways. First and foremost, this one has a VOIP setting in the fax setup. As many of you know, faxing, particularly of multi-page documents, can be erratic with VOIP systems like MagicJack or Vonage. So far so good using this with my Magicjack. The practical implication of this ability is that I don't need a dedicated fax line for my office.

As someone who got tired of refilling HP cartridges in order to keep my costs under control, buying non-OEM cartridges here on Amazon is incredibly inexpensive. Not to mention that the big box office supply store gives a recycling rebate greater than the cost of the cartridge!

Wireless network setup is quick and easy. I used a laptop for the initial setup, but now regularly print documents using the Brother IPrint&Scan App on my Ipod Touch. It's a free download.

These Brother multi-functions are unbelievably good products. I've only touched on a few things about them.
on February 20, 2014
To be clear, I purchased this from Office Depot, not Amazon, but I am so fed up with it, I am posting this review here as well.

I've had this printer for less than a year. It won't print no matter what I do. I purchased two sets of new ink, but it just changes which ink cartridges it won't recognize. I put brand new cartridges in today. First it said everything was full, but the black would not print. So I started cleaning the print nozzles/heads etc. But now it's telling me that two of them are empty! I have not been able to print from this printer for months now. And it's costing me more money every time I try to fix it.

I will NEVER EVER buy another Brother printer again. My 10 year old Cannon I had before I got this Brother printer was slow, but at least it worked.
on July 25, 2012
I've had this printer for over a year. It prints as well as one might expect from a $100 AIO printer---which is to say reasonably good for documents and casual graphics, but nowhere near true photo quality. The paper tray is an annoyance, since there is no single page feed and no envelope feed, so you have to pull everything out and re-configure every time you want to print on anything other than your standard paper size and quality.

This printer is also dishonest about ink. Of course, the company makes a lot more money from selling ink than from selling a printer. My machine notifies me that it needs ink replacement as soon as the ink cartridge drops to about 40% of original volume. Admittedly, it will continue to print until the ink runs lower, but I have no real idea how dry the ink gets before it finally refuses to print. But if you are made of money, feel free to replace the ink at the machine's every suggestion. (Hm, but if you had that much money, why not just buy a better quality machine?)

The absolute worst problem with this machine is that it consistently disconnects from my wireless network an average of once a month--and then is extremely difficult to re-connect. Note that I have no problem with any other devices connected to my network--a laptop, mobiles, wii...all of these work fine. So, it's not my network or router causing the problem, it's this printer! Brother troubleshooting is entirely non-human. You are referred to a troubleshooting page for this model, and given "instructions" on the order of "check to see if the printer is plugged in". NONE of the Brother troubleshooting "instructions" are useful in re-connecting their printer to a network. As an example, the suggested download of new drivers for my OS and this machine has now resulted in the printer being connected to wifi, but unrecognized by Windows 7/64. Gee, thanks, Brother troubleshooting! As I write this review, I am taking time out of yet another wasted workday spent trying to print a single document from pdf to suggest this to future users: Save yourself hours and hours of frustration. Buy something else.
on August 7, 2012
Got it yesterday (8/6/12) for under $48 w/tax. Nice unit, papertray is thin plastic, but no worse than any other lower priced unit. Haven't tried all the functions, but the printing is OK, not bad. Good enough for school work. Setup, on an Airport router, was easy after the fact. Saw other reviews mention that instructions are sparse, and it's true. I had to do a lot of googling.

Basically, use the PIN method for setting up wireless. On the MFC, I (finally figured out to) chose the PIN method to get a PIN; then on the router utility screen, select Add Wireless Client from the menu, the PIN radio button and Add/Ok; then enter the PIN displayed on the MFC into the router setup screen, and I was connected. Neat to be able to print from the iPhone. Will come back to review other functions.

Scanning was a PAIN. Had to scan a long car contact, and the first page was fine, great actually, but the following pages were unreadable. The worst part was I tried for over an hour and a half, trying to scan it using different settings, auto scan, manual scan, magazine to press the paper down, etc, and was unsuccessful. Ended up using my iPhone and Genius Scan. Simple 1 page scanning is good, any scanning more than that, good luck. But, it's a cheap device.
on April 8, 2013
This printer has a known problem with reading the level of the ink cartridges. I placed cartridges in the machine and the machine is sending a message that they are empty and will not print. New cartridges were inserted with the same result. I was told that this is a known problem with this model and Brother customer support will do nothing for you but make you jump through hoops. Don't waste your money
on March 22, 2014
The purchase price of this printer is higher than many others, but it more than makes up for the cost in the savings of printer cartridges. I bought a Kodak printer but when the ink ran out, the cost of the cartridge was more than I paid for the printer. This unit has separate ink cartridges for each color and they last a long time. The automatic scanner feeder works great and has saved me a lot of time when scanning in a multi-page document. I only have two complaints. The first is that if the document is two sided, the software which comes with the printer won't interleave the scan (pages 1-3-5 and 2-4-6 don't automatically become 1-2-3-4-5-6). I have to de-comb the pages and manually re-stack them. Overall it's no big deal for the quality and convenience I've gotten from it, and I could probably find third party software which would do this if I were to start scanning a lot of documents. The second complaint is that there is no manual document feed tray which bypasses the bundle paper feeder. So if you are printing two sided or a single page with heavy stock oran envelope or something, you have to remove the feeder and place the paper in there. It's not a big deal but a little inconvenient. Overall, it's a great buy for the quality, reliability, and cost savings in ink. Finally, the wired printer USB port is in a very strange place. It's under the scanner bed and I had to refer to the manual to find it. Why there isn't a port on the back I don't know. It's weird and a little difficult for me to fit my wire in there because there is a built in ferrite core but I managed to make it work. I hope to see a port in the back in future models.
on June 22, 2012
Pros: nice quality scan and print, adf
Cons: cannot scan from scanner to computer. The diagnostics checked out, but after 3 tries with their customer support they could not find an answer and gave up. I can scan from my computer, but not from the unit itself
on February 17, 2014
I purchased this in August 2012. I didn't think it would last forever, but I figured two years wasn't too much to ask for. This wasn't a workhorse for me. Small papers were occasionally printed, as well as labels to ship items; nothing big. I had to change out the ink several times, and each time you could tell that there was so much ink left in them. The first pain point: if either the black, cyan, yellow, or magenta was too low (according to the printer), nothing would print. It would often say that a color was too low, and it would only be slightly lower than half empty. This is really unacceptable and inefficient. If you are going to rip off customers, why not save ink in the process. Create a cartridge that used up all the small amount of ink in it!

Fast forward to last night. I needed to print out a label. However, no black printed. I changed out the black, even though I could clearly see that it was more than half full. Still nothing. I had the printer go through the self-cleaning process at least six times, and then I quit for the night. This morning I contacted Brother. They tried the cleaning process as well. Then, they had me key in different combinations of the buttons on the printer. It returned info on the screen claiming that the ink was too low; yep, for each of them. The rep said the cleaning wouldn't work unless they were all full. Like a fool, I listened to the Brother rep. It didn't work. He then said it's out of warranty and that I need to take it to have it cleaned. When asked, he said that it could only be cleaned by a specialist. So now, I wasted four, nearly-full ink cartridges, and the cleaning would cost $65. What is aggravating is that the Brother rep told me to put new cartridges in, and when that wasn't the issue, it was almost like, "Oops, oh well. Take it to a specialist." Ink isn't cheap! But no skin off his back, just tough luck for me though.
on February 23, 2013
I had my mother-in-law buy the next model up last year with the wired network, card reader, bigger display, little bigger auto doc feeder, and a CD print tray. They have the same ink cartridges and speed. But, she or I (when I come to town and help her with printer jobs) have never used those extra features and I don't foresee doing so. The price was great, it shipped as expected, and it was easy enough to set up. It prints like a champ and is even better than the last 1/2 dozen printers I replaced it with. The ink is really cheap because the cartridges don't contain the print heads. That's a little scarey if the built in heads plug up, but I'll see how that goes--it's worth a try.
Some complained about the cheap/weak paper tray and I can see the point, but the plastic seems durable enough. I handle that with a little more care to be safe.
Oh yes, this has Linux drivers. That one of the reasons I went with brother and not Canon or Lexmark (HP is very good about Linux drivers). They don't come with the disk but Brother has them readily accessible online.
Lastly, this fits very neatly on my limited desk space. The doc feeder lays closed and clean. The paper feed and paper out are in the same place so that is nice. My Lexmark (X7675) had a rear print paper feeder which took up desk room and collected dust,