on April 22, 2011
I purchased a Brother laser printer a couple months ago and it has been awesome, so I thought I'd try this one. I need an all in one for scanning as well as color printing. Admittedly, I bought it from Costco online so I could take it back easily, thinking there could be an issue. And there was one, with the color printing.

Set up was easy. I had it connected to my wireless router in about 2 minutes. Then I had my computer loaded with the driver (downloaded from the Brother website so I didn't have to open up the disk) and it was up and running in about 5 more minutes.

Scanning was great. I'm using an HP Officejet 6310 AIO now, and the Brother was much faster. I could do a page in about 6 seconds, which is about 1/4 the time of my HP. Adjusting the settings was a breeze!

Printing was bad, though. I tried to print my real estate fliers with photos and they came out grainy and the color wasn't as rich as my HP. Even the banner and other parts, not photo-related, weren't vibrant. It actually looked like the prints had faded! I tried changing settings so the print quality was at "Best" and the color was on "Vivid" and it didn't help. The black did print well.

If you only need black and white prints and a good scanner, then this might be a good solution. However, if you need a solution that offers quality color printing, this one won't work for you. It didn't work for me.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 10, 2012
I've had this unit for about a month, and except for the low intensity of its printed colors, I REALLY like it. I'm getting used to the low intensity color, too.

I've owned at least three low-cost scanners with 11x17 capability, and I've returned them all because their 11x17 scans looked terrible. The scans from this one are superb. Once you figure it out, the scanning software is very good, too. (In my experience, Brother products come with very good software, but limited information about it.) You can control the scanning from the panel of the scanner or from the included Control Center software.

I found the controls on the hardware to be intuitive and easy to use for scanning and printing. (I haven't used it as a FAX machine yet, but the FAX controls appear to be of a similar nature.) Those in the software are somewhat less so, but once you figure them out, they give you a lot of flexibility.

I love the fact that I can keep 11x17 and letter sized paper in separate trays that are easy to print from. I love that the unit connects wirelessly to all the stuff in my office.

I haven't experienced the serious paper feed problems that others have talked about, but I HAVE had a misfeed or two, and there HAVE been times when the unit seems not to know what I'm asking it to do. When that happens, I just abort and start over.

The color printing is definitely unusual, in that the intensity of the colors is very much less than that of other printers I've had. The printer has two color modes: Natural and Intense. Both of them do pretty well at delivering readable color, but it's pretty washed out when compared to what I am accustomed to (mostly H-P). Once I got used to the Brother's lower color intensity, I began to appreciate the fact that it makes a lot of things easier to see and differentiate. I have several small logos with a lot of detail that normally can't be seen when printed in color. It shows up nicely on the Brother, though.

The duplexing works well and is easy to use, but it only seems to work on plain paper. I couldn't get it to duplex anything on bright white inkjet.

All in all, I'm very happy with this unit. I have two H-P laser printers and three H-P color inkjets in my home office, and the Brother is a useful addition to my capability.

UPDATE (2/19/12) I'm getting to appreciate the benefits of the 11x17 scanning bed. One of my occasional projects is to scan some booklets that are printed on 11x17 paper, then folded and saddle stitched. In the past, I only had a letter-sized scanner, so I had to work hard to get the booklets straight on the scan glass. I either folded them back on the saddle-stitched edge and hoped to get them straight, or else flipped the booklet on every other scan then unflipped the alternate scans electronically. Either way was inconvenient, and somehow neither ever worked out very well. I'm doing one of these projects today, and I just open the booklet, lay it on the scan glass, and scan it in 11x17 mode, always with the top edge of the booklet facing into the scanner. There are no alignment problems, since the 17" side fits perfectly flush with the edge of the scanner bed, and more or less "locks in" on its raised edge. This is a tremendous improvement in convenience from what I had before. And as I said up above, the 11x17 scans are VERY clean and nice, MUCH better than anything I've had before.

UPDATE (3/16/13) A year later, and this is still an outstanding printer/copier/scanner. I've been using the Automatic Document Feeder, which works very well, and the Scan to Email, which is perfect and amazing. I cut crossword puzzles out of my local newspaper and send them to a friend who doesn't get a paper; we work on them together while video Skyping. Sweet. I use this unit to copy the puzzles at 130% enlargement, then I scan them as PDFs and send them via email. The copying works very well, but due to variations in the quality of the print in the newspaper, I sometimes have to adjust the density control on the copier. Once I have a good copy (usually pretty easy to get), I feed the copied sheet(s) through the ADF, turning them into a 600x600 dpi Black PDF, which automatically attaches itself to a ready-to-send email. I check the attachment for quality (almost always very, very good), put an address on the email, then send it with one click to my friend. It doesn't get any better than this, and the price cannot be beat. During my year of using this printer, I've bought maybe a dozen ink cartridges. I've always used the original Brother brand, but there are no-name cartridges out there for VERY little money. After looking on auction sites and in retail stores, I've established that Amazon is the best place to buy ink for this printer. Orignal Brother cartridges are substantially less expensive here than elsewhere.

UPDATE (8/10/13): A year and a half after buying it, this is one of the best printers I've ever owned. I've learned how to use its "scan to email" feature, and that's what I'm now doing for my crossword puzzles. I cut them out of the newspaper and scan them to a PDF at 400x400 dpi, Black and White mode, with brightness set all the way down to 50%. When I click the E-mail button, the puzzle gets scanned. My email program opens up with an email ready to be filled out. The subject line is the scan number, and the scan is already attached as a PDF file. Very slick. Unless the newspaper has a lot of ink showing through from the other side, the puzzles are very easy to read when printed from the PDF. Even the tiny numbers in the squares reproduce very nicely.

UPDATE (9/10/13): I've used Brother's chat support several times lately, with mixed results. Overall, I have to say it is substandard. My problems came when I had to install a new printer driver in one of my computers. I tried to get help from the chat line. At first, they seemed competent and helpful. But it took forever to get the problem solved. They like to send you links to VERY long writeups about how to solve your problem. The writeups seem to be useful, but they are so long and detailed that they aren't very useful. When what is needed is for the chat tech to say "just do X", what you get is a long-winded writeup that talks about doing "P, Q, R (if some condition or other exists), S, T, U, and V". It's a real pain in the neck. In the end, the chat person volunteered to telephone me when her shift was over. We solved the problem in just a few minutes. I encountered the same difficulty, minus the voluntary phone call, when I changed ISPs and needed to reset the printer to respond to the new wireless network. It's really not a very hard process, but Brother's help documents make it into something daunting. I don't think I'll be using their chat service again. Maybe emailing will be better. Or telephoning, if that is an option.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 24, 2011
Bought it yesterday and it took about an hour to get it up and running wireless. I am not all that computer jargon savvy and some of the wireless stuff threw me for a few minutes. I have made all the entries in all the of menus and everything seems to be working just fine. BROTHER reliability is what drew me to this printer as I have a need for a wireless printer. I replaced my MFC 5860 with this updated model.

It prints very fast and the "fast" feature on printing jobs so far looks just fine for most of my printing. Scan was easy and user friendly. I got this printer at Staples for $160 out the door as it was on sale for $100 off and they gave me another $50 off via a trade-in of an old HP printer that died a premature death. Poor reliability of HP is what sent me to try BROTHER printers. Their reliablity at least on the MFC 5860 was superb with no problems and thousands of pages printed.

I am giving this printer 5 stars.

Update March 30, 2013.. Had a paper jam that would not clear. Called Brother Warranty service and they sent me a new printer and added another month to the 3 year warranty. New printer arrived at my door in 2 days! Boxed the old one up and it went back to Brother at no charge to me. I've never received that kind of service from Hp. I love Brother products and their warranty service.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 27, 2013
Our company, for the past 12 years, produces fine art prints on very large wide-format Epson printers so we do have to know about color, substrates, profiles, calibration etc.
We decided to purchase some of these Brother printers not because they were the first, sensibly-priced 11x17 fast color printer but, more importantly, with
a little tweaking of their print driver's color section, and by using a sensible (NOT 20lb copy paper...) substrate, they produced excellent prints with superior color fidelity - without the need to know about color profiles, calibration etc. so necessary to get our $10,000+ Epson printers to perform to our customer's requirements.
Over the years, we have had so-so experience with many small (both inkjet and toner) color printers - OKI, HP, Canon etc. and a few of them
might produce 11x17 (or only smaller) prints that can match the great (Brother) color -but they certainly couldn't do it for around $190.00!
(Note that an industry-standard Gretag MacBeth color card can be produced with excellent color rendition on these printers.)
Reproducing good color is not difficult - provided the users take some time to understand the printer's driver color choices. Do they really read the printer information and understand the options available? If they don't, then they should contact Brother Support who will have an excellent response to their color needs. For those important documents, where color rendition/fidelity is critical, the best option may be to use this printer's excellent 11x17 scanner to send a scanned image to any decent image editor - Photoshop, Elements etc. so that the color can there be manipulated to produce an excellent print - as opposed to just a copy from a source document.
On the assumption that the user doesn't demand superior museum-type color from often poor source material (such as photos from a $50.00 jpeg camera) and they don't or can't understand the adjustments in the printer driver or bother to contact Brother Support to solve their 'problems', then perhaps they might want to get a large, professional Canon or a Xerox copier/printer. Of course they then wouldn't mind paying about $12,000-S16,000 for the privilege to produce 'better' color....
Believe me, these Brother printers are excellent value, do produce great - even superior - color prints and they do it all with an industry - leading warranty and support programs.Brother MFCJ6710DW Business Inkjet All-in-One Printer with 11-Inch x 17-Inch Duplex Printing, 11-Inch x 17-Inch Scan Glass & Dual Paper Trays
on March 16, 2011
I purchased this unit because of the 11X17 size and the All-In-One. Before I purchased I took a letter size photograph to the store and did a copy and printed it at "Best" and on "Glossy". I noticed horizontal banding (portrait) in the bottom 2 inches of the photograph. Remember in a photograph frequently the complete photograph would be in color as this one. I thought because it was in the store it may have received rough treatment - I purchased a new unit anyway.

Brought the unit home and carefully unwrapped it and set it up. Before I connected it to a computer I did the same test with the same photograph and sure enough it has identical banding of lighter streaks in the same general area. I called Brother and was advised to clean the platen and run the ink cleaning 5 times. Did this and got the same thing. I then tried to copy the photograph by reversing it and got the same thing. After this I tried several different things in making the copy and always with the same problem.

Called back Brother and they moved me up the chain and spent some time with this "expert" with no avail. He said he would take it higher and call me back the same day - this is now two days later and no calls.

One additional item after cleaning 5 times and running copies of the same photograph 10 times, I ran out of ink. At the cost of ink I figured that each color photograph was costing around $4.00 more or less.

I decided the inability of the printer to print solid photographs plus the no call back from Brother simply made the printer not something I wanted - returned it to the store for a full refund.

I would assume if you were not doing photographs or whole pages of color it would do its job very well but since that was one of the main purposes I wanted the printer for - it simply would not work.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 28, 2011
I have been an avid HP Printer useer for more years than I can remember and after buying my first Brother, I am simply overwhelmed! Quality, speed, features, inexpensive consummables not to mention the ability to scan and print 11x17 are only a few of the many amenities! Oh, did I mention it was wireless ? It was easily configured and operational quickly such that I was using the printer within minutes of removing it from the box. I have two of these now, the MFC 6490 and this one, the MFC-J6710DW being used in different locations and worth every penny paid! Oh...one more thing, Amazon's FREE shipping was another reason for purchasing on-line. It was received within a week of the order!!!
on May 21, 2011
What a disappointment. I need a printer for 11x17 size prints, architectural drawings from Autocad. Worked great for the first couple of months, then started working on a larger scale project and started getting error messages in the print que and it would stop printing. Turns out (I think), that it can't handle more than a couple drawings sent to the printer at a time! when the error message appears, the "stop/exit" button has to be pushed, and the print canceled. sometimes, the machine has to be turned off and then back on, to clear the memory.

It does this when trying to print posters also. The machine needs a LOT of attention, and I don't have the patience for it.

if anyone out there has a solution to this, I would LOVE to hear it.

wish I could return it...
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 10, 2012
I needed a large format printer in a desk top version and this is the best.
As an architect I often need to reduce and enlarge plans to scale and this can do it properly. It takes paper sizes from 11"x14" (a3) down to letter size.
on August 29, 2011
Although this printer is feature packed, it really doesn't work well as a printer. We finally figured out that it needed heavier ink jet paper to work with marginal consistency. It doesn't print grids, like spreadsheets, well. Lines jump and wiggle. It takes entirely too much work to use.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 2, 2011
The biggest disappointment with this MFC is that two-sided copying and scanning needs to be done manually. I also found the guidance manuals included with the MFC very difficult to use. The on-line manuals are much better. But, with the dual-sided printing and large format handling, the positives outweighed all negatives.