4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome features, poor print quality!
Edit 3/15/2014:
I just took my review from 2 stars to 4 stars. This really is a pretty good printer and I would recommend it, as long as you know up front that you will have to do some tweaking on the print quality (you have to read the comments below)...

Published 12 months ago by Scott A.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hit and miss - Good features, poor implementation
Published 5 months ago by Fred

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome features, poor print quality!, December 1, 2013
This review is from: Brother MFCJ6920DW Wireless Multifunction Inkjet Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax (Office Product)
Edit 3/15/2014:

Also, I want to thank those that have added their findings in the comments. This review would not be complete without you!

Here is my original review with a few other edits along the way:

At this time, this is Brother's new, Flagship printer. It has every bell and whistle you can imagine. I needed a printer that will handle Legal (8.5x14) paper. This printer will do that and does up to 11x17 paper. So Legal size paper should be no problem. One advertised feature that impressed me is the ability to copy or scan duplex (two sided) paper in one pass. It is also supposed to print duplex paper in one pass. Hence, it should be faster and it would be less likely that it will get a paper jam flipping the paper over. I'm not sure how much we will use this, but it is nice knowing it has that ability.

I have tested printing from my Android cell phone and it works. My prints came out the size of photo paper (about 5 by 7). I have not looked for a way to select the tray or paper size yet. But I can see how this ability will be useful to us.

Installation: I read in a review the software on the included CD is out of date. So I did not even try the CD. I went to the [...]site and downloaded everything I thought I would need. There are a lot of pieces to the software and doing this is a real pain. (Edit 1/28/14 - I believe I downloaded and installed more software than was needed. I now believe there is only one software download required. I believe it is the first one in the list on the Brother support page for this printer.) Also, the printer came with C firmware. At this time the latest firmware is G. So plan on downloading and installing the latest firmware. I think that is a lot of firmware levels for less than a year. It makes me think they released this printer before it was fully tested and ready. (Edit 1/28/14 - Wow, got notification of another firmware release today. I still need to download and try it. I will let you know if I can see an improvement in print quality. I'm hoping that Brother has been working on this issue.)

My biggest complaint is color printing and copying. The text is not that great either. As I mentioned above, this printer has every bell and whistle you could ever want. That is way cool. But if it does not print well, it seems to me that the advanced features are not important.

This is Brothers new top of the line personal printer. I just can't believe the poor quality of the color prints. When I removed my old Lexmark printer, it has about 6 pages in the output tray. As soon as I got the MFC-J6920DW setup and tested, I decided to try copying these pages. I wanted to see how the document feeder worked. The pages were a combination of text and color graphics. The colors were bright and vibrant going in, but the output looked nothing like the originals. The bright beautiful color was gone. The colors looked pastel and washed out, like the printer is trying to save ink. I tried copying the same pages with the printer set to "Best" rather than "Normal". These prints took for ever, and there was a only a very small improvement. They still looked nothing like the original pages my old Lexmark had printed. So, I called Brother support to see about changing the settings. Well, guess what, there are only two settings (Normal, and Best), and I had already tried them both. They had me try darkening the copy one step, but still no joy, and now the text was too dark and starting to loose detail.

Conclusion: The paper handling capabilities of this printer are amazing, and seem to be very robust. I don't think it will ever jam. (Edit 1/28/14)- I have now had jams; but always a result of me letting the paper out tray get full. The jams were a pain to get out as there were several pages in various places. I think it will be easier in the future now that I know where the doors and flaps are.) And all the advanced features are great. But lets face it, the most important thing an All-in-One printer should do is print well, and this printer just does not. Scenic photos I have printed using the best setting on plain paper look just horrible. I have not tried photo paper yet, but doubt it will fix the problem. I have been through all of the settings, and even call Brother support, and I just can't get the print quality to improve.

This printer is a perfect fit for my requirements, but the print quality is simply unacceptable. What a shame, Brother has some amazing technology in this printer. If you are picky about print and graphic quality like I am, avoid this printer. However, you may not be able to find a printer that has this ones paper handling capability. In that case, get it and lower your print expectations like I have.

Edit 2/27/2014 - Hey guys, make sure to read the comments to this thread. There is some very good information in them. There is information on using photo printer paper and setting the color density to get better print quality. I believe the color density feature was added with the latest firmware update.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Incredible Number of Tools - But You Need Space, November 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When you use a multi-function printer, what you gain in convenience you give up in desk space. The Brother Printer MFCJ6920DW Color Inkjet Multi-Function Center with Scanner, Copier and Fax is no exception to this rule. The thing is huge.

The combination of an excellent scanner with the rare ability to scan up to an 11x17 document, a built on document feeder, a fax machine, 2 paper trays, a comprehensive graphic display, and of course the printer all add up to a unit that will take up significant amount of desktop space. The printer is about the size of a 10 ream case of LTR paper if you add 4 more inches of width. Clearly it needs it room to operate.

With the exception of its bulk, the printer is very easy to set up and can be adapted to a computer or network wirelessly or through a USB printer cable. The wireless function is simple to engage and definitely a cool feature. Software installation is simple. You should be up and running within 30 minutes of opening the box.

Starting from the the top of the printer, it is pretty amazing to see how the tools are packed in. The lid opens up into the document feeder which has a 35 sheet capacity. I tried running different quantities of paper through the document feeder and found the actual, reliable capacity to be closer to 10-12 sheets which is still great for a consumer grade machine where document feeders are not a common feature. The scanner which can be accessed by lifting the lid (or the doc feeder) scans fairly quickly, about 7 seconds per sheet. The scan quality is very good for both documents and photographs, as good as any other scanner I've ever used. There is a scan to fax function but I can't comment on it as I have not used it yet since I do not have the printer hooked up to a phone line.

Below the scanner is the printer paper output tray. There is a tray extender on it which catches the paper as it leaves the printer. When it is pulled out (which it needs to be to catch the paper which really shoots out of the printer when finished) this extension sticks out another 6 inches or so from the front of the printer. I found this to be a problem because the printer is so large that there are really not many spaces which can accommodate the extra width (nearly 2 feet!) if it is left pulled out. If it happens to be next to a traffic area, there is a very good chance you can walk into the extended tray and damage it. In the space we have it is necessary to pull out the tray every time we use the printer and push it back in when we are done to avoid damage. Given the design of the unit, there is really no other place for the paper to exit, so the tray is a necessary evil.

Below that are the two paper trays which have a combined capacity of 500 sheets and can accommodate LTR, LGL and LGR sized paper as well as their European equivalents. We haven't loaded 500 sheets in yet, but have had no problems with jamming or paper feed with up to 300 sheets.

The printer quality is very good. I don't have a great deal of experience with ink jet printers since we most often use a laser printer, but on a high quality setting, the ink printing is on par with the toner prints from a laser printer for black and white documents. We have not run out of ink yet but when we do I will update this review. I can already tell that the scan to print capabilities are limited by the amount of ink available. We will only use this printer for scanning and printing the occasional documents instead of a more regular use because of the ink capacity compared to the far greater capacity of a toner cartridge. Color prints are impressive and actually have far more accurate and easier color matching than a consumer grade color laser printer. Reports printed on the Brother are sharp, colorful and look really good. The inking is consistent and doesn't saturate the paper. Even sheets which are heavily inked (like those with a colored background) are flat, smooth, and professional looking.

This is a great multi-purpose tool which should please anybody who has a need for everything this printer provides, especially with the wireless capabilities and the oversize scanner. If you don't need all the extras and just want a scanner or just a printer then obviously the size of this thing makes it an impractical option for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, November 21, 2013
After several years of use, my MFC-6490CW Brother AIO started giving me poor quality printouts, and nothing I tried would fix it. So I opted for a new one. This MFCJ6920DW is perfect, even better so far than the MFC-6490. I loved my old Brother AIO, but this one has all the features I wished the old one had. Evidently the folks at Brother listened to the customer feedback. This one has duplex scanning and printing, smarter paper selection, more custom settings, better document feeding, faster communication with the pc, smarter scan capabilities, and many more. I was a bit shocked to see that it has top and bottom side scanning. I guess the extra hardware was not cost-prohibitive.

Software installation was a cumbersome process, taking almost an hour to install the full "suite" of programs. On my secondary pc, all I needed was a simple priinter driver, but even that took 15 minutes and crashed near the end. Fortunately it succeeded anyway.

The ink cartridges are inexpensive ones that do not include the printheads. That is a good thing in the short term, because of the lower costs. In the long run, it may be a liability, because you cannot easily replace the printhead if it wears out or becomes hopelessly clogged. On my old MFC6490, I think that is the case and so it is now mostly useless except as a big scanner.

The document feeder works faster and better than my old one. I saw a drop in scan time of over 50% while doing a multi-page pdf scan (on both sides at that). That made me very happy. No more combining of alternate pages after the scan.

The fax machine part was a simple setup and worked perfectly with my existing answering machine/phone.

Delivery was fast and the box was in perfect condition.

As with the older unit, I will add to this review over the months and years with my experiences.

****Followup #1 on 12/24/2013: Not much to report so far. Works as well as I expected. The one thing I do not like is the noisy paper feed which has a very loud thud when a single sheet is fed. Nothing wrong with the printout but I can't help but wonder if something is wrong somewhere inside.

p.s. For those of you disappointed in the color prints (as am I), try photo paper before giving up. I was shocked at how much better they look than on plain paper. Don't forget to select photo paper in the setup.

****Followup #2 on 3/15/2014: As before, nothing to report except that this unit is still working fine. I have not yet updated the firmware and it is several versions behind. "If it aint broke...". After 4 months of use, I just now replaced the original black cart. The other 3 are still original, and this unit is used daily.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hit and miss - Good features, poor implementation, July 16, 2014
The printer was not purchased on Amazon but since I am an Amazon customer and highly value customer reviews there, I'm adding mine. Received my MFC J6920DW on Monday and set it up the same day with a default sample print printed. Tried loading #10 envelopes but the trays had no markings for such. Started a chat session with Brother and the support person told me the envelopes had to be loaded one at a time from the back side of the machine, through the manual feeder. Didn't sound right. I found a Video on Brother web site that showed #10 envelopes being loaded into Tray 1 (the upper one) with the flap on top and the left side as you look at the machine from the front. Since the trays don't automatically sense the size of paper loaded, you need to manually tell the printer what size paper is loaded in which tray. There is no selection for envelopes in the available options for various paper sizes. So you have to set it at "letter" size. When printing from MS Word, in the printer properties dialog you have an area where you can select Paper size, as in Auto Select, Tray 1 or Tray 2. If you got envelopes in tray 1, since you can't tell the printer that you have loaded envelopes in there, you have to tell it to print using tray 1, and on the same dialog, set paper size to Com-10 (that is you have to make two selections on the same dialog. After several tries on my MS Word 2010, I finally figured out that the flaps should actually be on the right side. I successfully printed envelopes. I think the recommended number of envelopes is 10 in the tray. Problem is the return address prints about an inch from the front short edge of the envelope. I used to be able to get this done ¼ inches away on my old HP printer. The margin setting in MS Word has Auto, 0.4, 0.5, etc, but apparently the driver is not looking at that. When you set the front margin to 0.4, you still have an inch on the envelope. So the point is the envelope printing is nice since it will let you have 10 envelopes sitting in there for whenever you need to print one, but be careful when you do and you really have not too much control on the placement of return address.
Next issue is banding. I have loaded paper both portrait and landscape, and tried to print a solid 25% grey box that is sized to cover half the page (Insert menu, Shapes, select a Box, and then fill it with a grey fill). The print comes out with lines parallel to the long edge of paper, exactly 3.5 centimeters apart from each other. It make no difference whether you are printing using greyscale or color, high quality or whatever. The lines are there. I was with Brother phone support for 3 hours today and they finally told me to replace the machine. I have a feeling the next machine is going to be the same, but I will go ahead and buy another one since the features are very good (if they work).
Last issue: The printer is supposed to have NFC and with an Android capable of NFC (Android 4 and better), you should be able to print anything on your phone screen directly onto paper by activating NFC and touching the special area of the printer with your phone. This did not work on my printer and the support guy just gave up. (I have the latest and greatest HTC One M8 with NFC enabled both on phone and printer).
Why am I still interested in this printer? Simply because my last HP multi-function gave me problem after problem for 5+ years before it finally stopped scanning/copying from glass and wanted the documents in the feeder. Well you can't really put a driver's license in the feeder to scan it, can you? (it needs to bend and go through the scan head) Also the HP and Canons go through ink like there is no tomorrow and Canon doesn't have a two sided auto scanner at consumer prices. While my old HP printer used to scan one side, then flip the paper automatically and scan the other side, it looks like this Brother scans both sides at the same time in one pass, although I haven't really been picky about scan quality for text.
I would love to mention that this printer is VERY slow to print the first page. By the time you eventually click "Print" after setting paper size and appropriate tray, till the printer actually starts making noise, it is a solid 17 seconds, and then about another 18 seconds before a page of text is finally printed on draft setting. Print quality is acceptable and reasonable for text. The product manual says you get the fastest first page prints on USB-connected printer with Ethernet as a second alternative for fast prints. They say that WiFi printing is the slowest method. Mine is connected via ethernet and a router.
At the end I like to say I am in the technical field and have worked with Computers and printers for as long as there has been personal computers and printers, so I'm not a novice. I hope this review proves to be informative, as I wish I had seen something like this before I finally bought mine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality for the price, November 13, 2013
Patrick (Des Moines, WA, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Brother MFCJ6920DW Color Inkjet printer was extremely easy to setup. I have mine wired into my network. Setup required only plugging in a power cable and network cable. My Mac's all found the Brother printer with no problems. This printer replaced an older HP that I always had problems finding from my Mac. I'm sure the wireless setup takes a little longer but I would guess that it's still straight forward.

The MFCJ6920DW's print quality is good for the overall cost of the printer. Printing and scanning over the network is quick and problem free. I don't have a need for 11 x 17 printing but it's nice to have the option.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE, LOVE, LOVE My New Printer!!!, April 18, 2014
I run a small home-based business, in which a printer/fax/copier/scanner is integral in my daily procedures. I have always used Brother printers, and love them. But because of how much I use the printer, I typically have to replace my printer about twice a year. My last printer was a Brother MFC-J6910DW, and I loved it. So when it finally konked out, I wanted to buy another MFC-J6910DW to replace it, but I couldn't find that same model anywhere. It's not even listed on the Brother website. So I reluctantly looked at other Brother printers, and after much consideration and research, I finally decided to order the MFC-J6920DW, and hoped for the best. Wow, what a pleasant surprise! I absolutely LOVE my new printer, even more than the old one, which I didn't think was possible! I've read other reviews, where people are saying that it is a huge unit. It is big, but it is smaller than the MFC-J6910DW. My new printer is much quieter than the old one. I've also read other reviews, where people said it took a long time to set up. I didn't have that issue AT ALL! I was up and running in just a few minutes! I have mine set up as wireless. When I initially got my old printer (and all printers prior to that), I had to go through several steps to set it up as wireless, including attaching the USB during set-up and having to dig out the wireless password and enter it into the machine and hope I didn't accidentally omit one of the 27 digits, or transpose numbers (I HAVE done that on several occasions, and couldn't figure out why the printer wasn't working...). But on the MFC-J6920DW, it automatically connected to the wifi, and I didn't have to do a single thing. The "shortcut" feature -- you can customize settings that you only need occasionally, save them as a "shortcut", then just press that shortcut number the next time, so you don't have to go through all of the customization all over again -- is awesome! This machine practically does everything except make my coffee in the morning.

My only issue -- and this applies to all of the Brother printers I have had as well -- is that I wish it was easier to print envelopes. If I need to print an envelope, I have to take the paper tray out, take all of the paper out, readjust the guides, put an envelope in, put the tray back in, print the envelope, take the tray back out, readjust the guides, put the paper back in, and put the tray back in. A LOT of work to print just one envelope. I wish Brother would add an envelope feeder on their machines. That is the ONLY thing that could possibly make the MFC-J6920DW any more perfect!

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute piece of junk! No quality control., March 5, 2014
I'm now on my 2nd replacement printer after having bought one just 3 months ago. Customer service is Very procedural oriented. It is obvious that they have minimally trained people who simply follow a script. They are pleasant enough, just are clueless outside of reading from a procedural manual.

I'm now on my 3rd replacement machine. With the first one, the touch screen failed to operate within 2 months. Called them. Went through their procedural script and determined that it was a hardware problem, so they offered to replace it. Got the new one in 3 days. Plugged it in. Tried to print the set-up page. Print heads were not working. Called again. Went through the script. Determined that the print heads were not right. Offered to send a new replacement machine. Third one arrives in 2 days. Set it up. Seems to be working. After printing 3 pages the paper-jam display comes up. After spending a half our trying to find the paper I called up product support. Again, went through the entire procedure twice. Determined that there was a mechanical problem and they would send yet another replacement printer. I'm still waiting.

5.0 out of 5 stars works as advertised, January 24, 2014
I needed a workhorse printer to print large format 11x17 in color for my work. It sets up easily and prints letter and ledger sizes, has 250 sheet trays for both sizes, and a rear feed for heavy stock single sheets. It is the only copier I found that did all those things in this price range. Two sided printing works on 8 1/2 x 11. The reviews i read before buying said that it was not great printing quality, but for me, it is fine for business documents, but i would not recommend it for printing photos. Photos come out clear but lower in contrast, So subtract half a star for the photo printing quality and half a star for some unnecessary adware in the setup disk which complicated the installation on my xp desktop. Overall, I would recommend it.
Update: after 6 months: I love this machine! Business documents are clear, crisp, paper has never jammed. The interface is simple and intuitive enough that even I can operate it.Also can scan to jpg, bmp and pdf and others formats when using the Brother utility (not the Windows utility).

3.0 out of 5 stars Not As Great As I Had Hoped!, May 14, 2014
Brother should of designed the printer to have an even longer extension tray on the back of the printer also just like the one that's in the front of the machine. Trying to place a paper size of 11' x 17' in the back of the printer is a real pain. Half the time the printer doesn't grab the paper right away and the paper falls out. I have to hold the paper with one hand while trying to press the buttons on the front of the printer.

Then.. it's not 100% aligned straight when the print comes out. Most of the time the print is slightly crooked on the paper.

UPDATE: Made my own larger rear extension tray from a large piece of half-inch thick cardboard.

And what's the big deal when using tray #2 for the same size printing that it won't accept an Inkjet setting and the printer has to be set to ledger border-less and plain paper only or the printer refuses to print period.

If you want INK JET quality printing on plain paper you have to fool the printer by telling it that you're printing on INK JET paper. For b&w printing, set the contrast to MAX and the brightness to MINIMUM to get deep black results.

On the plus side I got mine, including shipping, for $210.95 and it came with a SanDisk 32GB Micro SDHC High Speed Class 4 Card with Micro SD to SD Adapter and Mini SD Adapter.

Update: 11-26-14
The printer is still working good. The colors are fabulous!

4.0 out of 5 stars Scanning & Printing Within 45 Minutes of Opening the Box !, October 20, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is perhaps the fastest and easiest printer install I've ever done. The printer box has been sitting on the living floor near the front door for a couple of weeks because the box was so huge I became concerned about where I would put the printer. So I finally unboxed it today and did all the set up on the floor of the living room.

Installing the cartridges was a cinch, as was setting the date and time. Then I installed the CD in the laptop and started the WiFi installation process. It has always been my experience that something goes wrong during the process of connecting the printer to the computer - you find you need another driver, or a different cable, or some piece of software that isn't on the CD, or the software interferes with something else already installed on your computer.... But not this time! Though the software took awhile (~15 minutes) to install (while I browsed the web and worked on other stuff), everything installed flawlessly. I printed a test page immediately and, though the printer is rather noisy, it's super fast and the quality is superb. The print is much crisper than our older HP 700 series all-in-one printer, so this will no doubt become our primary printer now.

Then I found a few old images, one really old black and white from the 1950's, and one color from a cheap throw-away camera, and scanned both. The scanned quality was quite good, and the scans were completed quickly. The larger flat bed will now allow me to scan many old photos and documents that I've been wanting to digitize for a long time. I don't intend to use the fax capability of this printer, so cannot comment as to the ease of set-up, though the scan and print quality would be just as good as those 2 features which I tested and found quite satisfactory.

Since we can now print and scan wirelessly in our home, the location of the printer is almost irrelevant. It doesn't need to be in or on the desk - I could even place it in a closet, as long as the wifi signal is not impaired.

The only negative part of my experience with this printer so far is the fact that they included only "starter cartridges" in the box. This probably means that I'll have to buy fully loaded cartridges right away. I deduct 1/2 a star for that peculiar decision by Brother.