Brother PE780D vs PE770 for best machine to begin with Has anyone used and compared both machines for ease of use and design capibility. Want to purchase one of these and do not know which one would be best for beginner embroidering.
asked by Janice R. Woody on May 13, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 answers
A
Dear H. I called a dealer in my hometown and they were quoting around $1100.00 for a PE780. You can probably get a used one cheaper if you can find one. That machine is supposed to be only sold through regular dealers while the PE770 is sold through online dealers. I went ahead and purchased a PE770 because I really didn't need the Disney creations for my own family and so far I really like it. In the long run though I may regret that though. I purchased the LetterIT software too and after I figured out how to download the designs to the USB stick, it has gone great. I was told at the time of purchase that that software would give me more options other than just a monogram software cause you can do several lines of text at the same time and merge designs into it. I wish you luck in deciding. It took me several weeks to finally figure out what I wanted. If I had had more money I might have gone with something more but the PE770 I think is a really good choice for an economical price. JRW
Janice R. Woody answered on June 8, 2012
Comment (1) | 8 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Julie, do you know the ballpark cost of the PE-780D? I'm doing my research on embroidery machines before I make a decision. There's not too many distributors in my area so I wanted to make sure I get a good price.
Honulii answered on June 8, 2012
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks for the info Janice. Why do you thnk you'll regret it? Thinking you should have bought the 780D or a more expensive model? Still hemming and hawing here....

I was quoted $850 for a moving sale from a local dealer.... Only problem is that it's almost a $200-300 price difference (if you factor in tax) to buy local rather than online... the only difference I can tell between the two is the 780D has 35 Disney images pre-loaded on it. I can't seem to find any other differences... trying so hard to make it work for my local sewing shop, but that's a huge price difference considering I still have to buy extra hoops, thread, etc.

**Update - I just chatted online with a Brother rep and they said that they only difference between the two machines is the 35 Disney images pre-loaded onto the 780D. No difference in quality per the rep. She could not give me any other reason why there is such a huge price discrepancy between the two.
Honulii answered on June 11, 2012
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hey Honulii, that is the only difference I was told too. I bought mine from Kens Sewing & Vacuum center and they were really helpful in answering questions I had. It may be worth a call to them for info. After working with my machine and talking to a few people, I don't think that I will regret not buying the PE780 because I do not have little kids and the disney would have been great for that. So the PE770 is working well for me. You could always buy some Disney designs if you want to do that later. There is another site that you may want to investigate - Embroiderydesigns.com. They offer great designs with free and sometimes clearance priced items as well as full price ones. they have many to choice from and they are really cute items. I would ask Ken's as well if they still have from their site the PE770 model with Letterit software. I paid about $650 for that machine package(cheaper then an ebay item from the same store) and it included free shipping and 5x7 hoop(that size really works for most designs I have found so far but I plan on getting maybe another one of those or the bigger one later and I bought a lot of thread when Hancock Fabrics had a sale on it but I would try ebay sites for that as well). I had to work out a few bugs at first with the software in using the USB stick but now it works great. Make sure when you download a design you download straight to the Drive for the USB stick and not to a file you have made. You can copy back to a file later. And also I was told that not to put too many designs at a time on the USB stick because it is sort of hard to decipher exactly what some designs are on the screen on the machine. Also do a lot of practicing to make sure that the bobbin and upper thread tension is set right. I had to loosen the bobbin tension some because I was getting a lot of looping threads in the designs. Loosening the tension resolved that. I also loosen the upper tension. I imagine each machine is different and it takes a few trials and errors to figure out what is exactly going on with your own machine. Good luck with the decision making. It is sort of hard to be sure. Janice
Janice R. Woody answered on June 12, 2012
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Diann B for what you wanted you should have bought a SE400 for $300.00. It sews, appliques, quilts and embroidery's, It is great for beginnners and is a super nice machine for $300. It uses a brother memory card or USB line straight from your computer. The PE770 ONLY Embroiders. I have both machines.
Vee answered on February 13, 2013
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I bought a 780D last December at our local dealer. I've found it's hard to decipher which design is which on the black and white LCD screen. I honestly don't use the Disney designs that much . The 35 they give you aren't that terrific really. The best online site for designs I found is EmbroideryLibrary.com. They have sales all the time and several free ones each week. I've found they have the best selection online. Today is the first problem I've had with this machine. My thread is looping on the underside. This sounds ridiculous I know, but it's only happening with dark blue thread, all shades of dark blue. I changed my needle and that helped a bit. Then saw the tension was at 00. I've moved it to +4. I have no idea what the tension should be - never had this problem before ever. I'm using premium muslin and the lighter colors sew just fine. This is strange. Any one have any suggestions out there? Thanks, Maggie
Maggie answered on July 14, 2012

A
Hi Maggie, did you try to adjust your bobbin tension. I found that on my PE770 which is the same machine without the Disney items, I had to loosen the bobbin tension a lot to get the threads on the back to sew right. I had had a lot of top thread showing up on the bottom with some looping too but after adjusting the bobbin tension, things seemed to work better. It is definitely trial and error here. I try to do trials before I do the real thing to make sure things go the way I want. Hopefully you have been able to work out these bugs. Hope this helps. J
Janice R. Woody answered on July 17, 2012

A
Just purchased the PE770... so excited to get it and get started!
Kim M. answered on January 29, 2013

A
why would my needle keep breaking while monograming
Bruce S. answered on January 15, 2013
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The ONLY difference between the Brother PE780D and the Brother PE770 is that the "d" in the PE780d stands for DISNEY - it is sold ONLY in sewing machine stores, whereas the non-disney version, the PE770, is sold by both dealers and other retail shops. Otherwise the machines are identical and made of the same exact parts. Both have the bigger 5x7 embroidery hoop area.

Much like Brother's sewing/embroidery combo machines: the Brother 950d and the SE400 or LB6800-PRW - all three are the same machine (smaller 4x4 hoop area) but the 950D is the Disney version sold ONLY by dealers whereas you can find the SE400 and the LB6800 (Project Runway version of the SE400) by both dealers and other retailers.
C. K. Stephenson answered on May 5, 2013
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›