5.0 out of 5 stars Brother PS 1500Q Sewing Machine
I purchased this machine to be used exclusively for free motion quilting. I did a lot of research, and yes, there were some really bad reviews, but way more good reviews. I've had really good luck with Brother machines, and this machine had more of the features I needed for the setup I was creating so I decided to go for it.

I'm pretty machine savvy and no,...
Published on March 20, 2011 by Leslie

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Published 15 months ago by SherrieM

5.0 out of 5 stars Brother PS 1500Q Sewing Machine, March 20, 2011

I'm pretty machine savvy and no, it did not work perfectly when I took it out of the box, it was doing a lot of looping on the underside. But once I adjusted the tension on the bobbin (which was WAY off), adjusted the presser foot pressure (the color guide adjustment window made it super easy) and the thread tension dial - and got all 3 in sync, which just took a little time and patience, the stitches were perfect! I then dropped the feed dogs, there's a dial that also makes this function super easy, readjusted my presser foot pressure using the color guide window, again super easy, and started practicing free motion quilting and the result is all I'd hoped for.

Two of the features I really like on this machine is the location of the bobbin casing, which is on the side of the machine vs the top or the front. The machine is facing me when I free motion quilt, so the bobbin casing is facing me which makes it really easy to change bobbins when I need to. Also, when you do the type of sewing I do on this machine, it must be oiled frequently. You do not have to take the machine apart to oil it, there are small oil "holes" on the machine where you put in drops of oil as needed. For someone who is used to taking a machine apart to oil it, this is a little bit of heaven!!

I was having a small issue with the automatic thread cutter. It was cutting the threads so short that I was losing my bobbin thread and had to bring it back up after using the cutter. Not a big deal but annoying. Then I discovered that I didn't need to pull up the bobbin thread, I could start sewing again and the bobbin thread would come up and continue stitching just fine. I only need to pull it up if I want to bring it up to the top of the fabric before I begin stitching again.

One thing about Brother, they have good tech support, so be sure and register your machine with them to take full advantage of their services.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this machine!, October 7, 2010
Purchased this machine even after reading a few poor reviews and were they wrong!
This is a great machine for free motion quilting and piecing! I have had it for almost a month and it's getting used almost daily, no thread breakage, no needle breakage even at full speed. The only thing I wish it had was a bobbin out indicator. Totally satisfied with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had found out about this machine sooner!!, August 6, 2011
I used to be a "singer machine" gal, mainly as that's what my grandma always used, and what I learned on. The last Singer I bought, I just did not have good luck with it...so, I researched, and bought the Brother CS6000i here on Amazon....it is a great little machine for the price...then as time went on, and I started getting into quilting more and more, I decided I needed a few more features, mainly auto thread cutter and knee-lifter...so, back to Amazon, and bought the Brother PC-420. It, too, is a great machine! I actually probably would have not bought another machine if it had a larger throat space and was a little more "industrial" as far as stitching faster, and machine heavier...plus my husband has made me a frame for machine quilting, and I felt I needed something more substantial. So, off I went to do more research! I found that the Brother PQ1500 has all the options of some of the other "quilting" machines, for a lot less money...it is essentially the same machine as the Babylock BLQP-Quilter's Choice Pro, as a matter of fact, they look the same, and some have said they are...and the Juki TL 98Q is also very similar. The Brother is just less expensive...and I already knew that Brother makes great quality machines! As I have said before, in the quilting world, there are some who think you have to have a Janome, Babylock, etc...again I say "hogwash"! As a matter of fact, my quilting teacher has had to rethink her stance, and seems to now believe that the Brother machines do great with quilting!! I must also say that while my PC-420 does a great job, my PQ1500 is much faster with the quilting, after all it is a straight stitch only machine, up t0 1500 stitches a minute, so it does what its supposed to do...After I got the bobbin and top thread settings all set, I just started in with chain-piecing and then quilting my latest quilt. I could not believe how fast it is, how quiet it is, and how all of the stitches look perfect, no having to take out stitches due to "loopys" on back, etc...So, I now have the PQ1500 for my quilting, and the PC-420 for all the decorative stitching...I keep both machines set up in my quilt/sew room, and I use them both, just for different things. I did not buy the PQ1500 here, as I actually found a better price elsewhere; but the other 2 machines I did buy here, and I always have great service from Amazon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful quilter-sewer, September 1, 2012
This review is from: Brother PQ1500S High Speed Quilting and Sewing Machine (Misc.)
This machine sews WONDERFULLY. It's a quilting dream. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 not because of the way it sews, but for some of the set-up functions that are slightly (but not seriously) annoying..
First the POSITIVES:
1) It sews like a dream.
2) It's very quiet--quieter than my expensive Bernina
3) It's very fast but you can control the speed easily with the foot pedal, so if you want to go slowly, it does that also.
4) The foot pedal is very responsive and easy to control.
5) If you're quilting, it handles so well that quilting becomes smooth and easy whether you go fast or slowly.
6) The harp (throat) is so commodious that I fit a very bulky quilt through it without difficulty.
7) The bobbin area is accessible even when you have the extended tray on.
8) There are 4 feed dog settings which allow all sorts of sewing materials. The feed dog settings are easy to change.
Now the NEGATIVES:
1) Threading it requires that you put the thread through a series of holes the way old-fashioned machines were threaded. If you've been using a more modern machine (like a Bernina) you may be used to the modern way of threading which involves quick movements and no putting thread through awkward holes. At first it's annoying, but the machine sews so smoothly, the annoyance is minor and worth the result.
2) Winding the bobbin, although not hard, also requires poking the thread through a tiny hole on the bobbin to get it started. Slightly annoying,but once done, the bobbin winds smoothly.
3) If you run out of bobbin thread, there's no notice that it's happened, and you can be sewing merrily along and discover that nothing's happening.
4) Like old-fashioned machines, you have to turn the wheel to put the needle down, there's no up-down button.
5) Compared to my other machines, the bobbin does not hold as much thread. It's adequate though. I'd guess about 85% of the capacity of my other machines.
SUMMARY:
This machine, which I bought on sale, cost me less than 10% of what my Bernina cost. I love my Bernina, but for quilting, this is far superior. It's a quilting dream.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quilting Machine - Love it!, December 5, 2012
Sue (Springfield, IL) - See all my reviews
I bought this machine used, but should have gone the extra $200 for the brand new. I am new to quilting, and started out machine quilting about 6 months ago. I got this machine about 3 weeks ago. It has been on my radar from the beginning as the most affordable and dependable choice with the largest harp (throat space).

Compared to my $99 Kenmore, which is still a great, cheap, and simple straight stitch and zig zag machine - this machine now makes that one look like a toy. This is industrial quality, straight stitch only, quiet machine.

Even though the machine was serviced before purchase, I expected tension issues - and at first, I did have them. Thread breaking. However, I have discovered a yahoo group for this machine, and also found what works for me, for this machine, for quilting. I use Isacord thread, but have also used Coats Machine Quilting cotton. A size 14 or 16 needle works best. I haven't tried the needles made especially for quilting but probably will eventually. Although I had tension issues with my Kenmore and learned by my mistake NOT to adjust the bobbin tension, I did find that adjusting the bobbin tension just a tiny touch back helped tremendously. So far, no more tension issues. However, each fabric, batting, and thread usually requires minor tweaks now.

What can I say> Needle down - Awesome!, thread cutter - Cool, self threading bobbin - Pretty neat, needle threader (Amazing), side thread cutter for manual, pin feed, drop feed, partial feed, presser foot tension adjustments, good lighting, lots of space for quilting, extension table, knee lifter (which I do not like because I used it without at first and I feel you have to sit more to the right of the needle to use it well) - but all of these make for a virtual MUST HAVE for the machine quilter.

I have tried the Juki quilting foot, the quilting foot the machine came with, a Big Foot, the walking foot (nice!), the regular foot and the quilters 1/4" seam foot. I love that this machine comes with all these feet you will use.

I have used it for piecing as well and also performs wonderfully.

Definitely recommend this for piecing and machine quilting, especially free motion quilting. You won't be disappointed with this machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars A machine you can pass down to your grandchild, April 1, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a full size, semi-commercial, straight stitch machine with an extra long arm for machine quilting. It is designed primarily to meet the needs of home quilters, and it performs spectacularly for that purpose. It has fabric handling features that are not available on most home sewing machines which allow you to quilt multiple layers of fabric together at high speeds without fabric shift or slippage. If you are a quilter, this is your dream machine.

Of course, you can sew more than quilts with this machine. Most garment and home decor sewing involves straight stitching and this machine makes the most perfectly formed straight stitch I've ever seen on a modern sewing machine. The reason is that this machine ONLY makes a straight stitch. Nothing else. No zig-zag. No stretch stitches. No button holes. No fancy decorative stitches. Just the most perfect straight stitch you could ever want.

It also does not have automatic tension, presser foot pressure or stitch length setting. You set those things manually. For people used to machines that are computerized, this may be intimidating, but it is easily mastered. It does not have a free arm or a low bobbin thread indicator, either, as virtually all regular sewing machines have these days. But a mechanical machine like this offers durability that electronic or computerized machines can't touch because there are no circuit boards or electronics or LCD screens to fail. This is a machine you can hand down to your grandchild.

So is this the sewing machine for you? If you are a quilter - yes. If you do a lot of home decor sewing like drapery, slip covers, pillows, bedding - probably. If you quilt and sew home decor and garments - maybe. If you sew mostly clothing - this is not your best choice as a primary machine.

For garment construction, you will likely want at least one sewing machine which has, at a minimum, a zig-zag stitch or you can't sew button holes and will have a harder time sewing knits. You can certainly make clothing with the PQ1500S, but you will be limited to zippers for closures and will struggle with stretching knit fabrics while sewing to give the seam the stretch it needs.

Also, consider your sewing space. This is a pretty big machine. It weighs a little over 24 pounds and with the extension table attached, it measures 30" long x 11.25" deep.

Once you've established this machine could be right for you, here are some of the exceptional features. It has a knee lifter (which raises the presser foot at the press of your knee), a needle threader (which is awesome), an automatic thread cutter button, a needle stop position button, a large and conveniently placed reverse stitch lever, an adjustable thread stand with dual spool pins for better thread handling, and a four position feed dog adjustment knob which raises or lowers the feed dogs as well as engaging the fantastic pin-feed feature.

Included in the box is an extension table, the knee lift bar (stored in the bottom of the extension table), 6 needles, 5 metal bobbins, a fabric separator attachment and a seam guide attachment, two screwdrivers, a lint brush, an extra pin and changer for the pin feed feature, a thread spool cap, the foot controller and power cord and a very nice machine cover. There are also several presser feet including a general purpose foot, a rolled hem foot, a zipper foot, an invisible zipper foot, a 1/4" foot, a quilting foot and a walking foot.

The bobbin is a vertical mount and loads underneath and to the side of the needle plate. Brother has addressed having to take your extension table off (and also your quilt or garment) in order to change an empty bobbin. Instead, there is a door in the extension table which allows you access to the bobbin. This is outstanding when quilting a large blanket. There is also a bobbin winder located on the top of the machine.

Other features I love are the presser foot pressure gauge on the front of the machine so I can see exactly what it's set to and that the needle plate is marked in inches, not centimeters. I also love that you can set the stitch length up to 7mm. This makes a very long basting stitch which is also easy to use for gathering. (My regular sewing machine only goes up to 4mm stitch length.) And, of course, I love all the space under the arm. I checked and I can roll up a full size quilt and it fits easily under the arm with room enough to maneuver the fabric.

I am stunned at how smoothly and quietly this machine sews. There is almost no vibration, either. It practically purrs even at the maximum speed of 1500 stitches per minute (that's almost twice as fast as my regular sewing machine!) And the straight stitch is absolutely exquisite. By flipping the feed dog knob and changing to the quilting foot, I am able to do free-motion quilting, too. I've never done this before but the results are fantastic. It's like drawing with stitches and the stitch quality is still superb. I have already started a small throw that I will quilt entirely in free-motion. I love this!

I have sewn leather, suede, fleece, a multi-layered quilt, taffeta, denim, silk satin, silk chiffon, woven cotton, woven polyester and Naugahyde on this machine so far with perfect results. The fabric separator attachment and the walking foot are incredibly useful when sewing "difficult" fabrics. Take the time to try them. You may discover you love sewing silks and leathers!

Things that may throw an inexperienced sewist are setting the tension, stitch length and presser foot pressure, but it really isn't that hard. The owners manual explains how to do this pretty well. Just make sure to use some scraps of the fabric you are going to sew and practice til you get the tension set just right for that particular fabric. If you do that, make sure you have the correct needle size for your fabric, keep the bobbin area and feed dogs clean and be certain you have it threaded correctly, you will be rewarded with a perfect stitch.

The pin feed mechanism, usually only found on commercial machines, works brilliantly on multiple layers or on slippery, hard to manage fabrics. This feature alone makes this machine a quilter's dream!

There is also a telescoping thread guide which practically eliminates upper thread feeding problems. They make such a difference that I use separate thread stands for my other machines, so I'm delighted to see that Brother has included it in the design.

Maintenance includes oiling the machine in several places specified in the owners manual. Brother recommends twice monthly oiling if you sew every day. Keep your oil out so you won't neglect this. Making sure your machine is oiled is just as important as making sure your car engine has oil. Neither will run smoothly without it.

Brother recommends Organ HLX5 needles, but says that Schmetz 130/705H are acceptable. These are different than the regular sewing machine needles you can get at Walmart so be sure you get the right kind. You can also get these needles with a titanium coating (which I recommend) that makes the needles last longer during high speed sewing. As a side note: I was surprised to see that you install the needle with the flat side to the right instead of to the back. Thus, the hole in the needle for the thread to pass through is to the side instead of facing front when installed correctly. Knowing that makes it easier to understand the directions for using the automatic needle threader, which is a fantastic feature. I never thread the needle by hand on this machine.

The bobbins are Brother SA159. They are metal. Order more online as they are usually much less expensive than buying locally in a quilt shop or at a Brother dealer. I ordered 50 more. The reason for having a large stash of bobbins, especially with this machine, is that it takes a lot of thread to quilt a large blanket. I wind 15-20 bobbins before starting a large project so that each time I run out of bobbin thread, I have a full one ready to replace it with. The easy bobbin access in the extension table makes this so much simpler than with a conventional sewing machine. You don't HAVE to have more bobbins, though, because the dual thread spool pins and separate threading path for bobbin winding allows you to wind bobbins pretty easily mid-project without having to unthread your machine.

I am using this machine primarily for quilting and home dec applications but since I discovered how exceptionally well it handles slippery fabrics, I am also using it to sew my daughter's wedding gown. The silk charmeuse glides perfectly through the machine when using the fabric separator. Kudos to Brother for making a commercial quality machine that is affordable.

I guess you can tell I love this machine. I've been sewing for 35+ years and have owned and used a lot of different machines. This one really shines. If the features meet your needs, I bet you will love it, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I'd hoped!, April 26, 2012
I have two ladyfriends who own this model, and they love it. My Viking Emerald was so noisy compared to theirs, and when I wound a bobbin on the Viking, it sounded like the space shuttle coming in for a landing. They love their machines, and don't ever seem to have any problems with them. Easy to clean and oil, no tension problems, and the pin-feed lets them sew on all kinds of fabrics. I finally decided to purchase a 1500, for free-motion quilting and piecing. Well, I am amazed at the difference!!! It's like magic. This 1500 feels like a limosine. And free-motions like a dream, and the free-motion foot is the best I've ever used. I was convinced of her value in less than a day -- quiet, accurate, and great free-motion - I've had her for three weeks now, and I'm completely delighted. The quality of the machine makes such a difference. She's built to last, and built for accuracy. I gladly give her five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars For Quilting, January 2, 2011
The Brother PQ1500S is the perfect sewing machine for piecing and quilting. Can be used on a frame making it a short arm setup. It is a GREAT machine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brothers PQ1500S Quilting Sewing Machine, January 27, 2010
E. Hudson (Rochester, MN) - See all my reviews
Purchased for my wife based on others who owned one.It turned out to be an excellant machine. She was well satistfied with its overall preformance.Amazon had the best price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, September 7, 2013
I really thought this machine was going to be perfect. I have been using it for 8 months now and I am so sorry to say that I think it was a mistake. Yes, it is easy to learn to use - it has a lovely, wide work area for quilting, which is why I bought it. The first issue(only 2 weeks into using it) was with the feed dog lever - it ceased to work.I had been free-motion quilting and wanted to put the dogs back up to piece. I had to take the machine to my local dealer who had to send it to the factory for repair, which took 3 weeks. I really wish that was the only thing wrong, however.......

As was mentioned in other reviews (which I ignored), I have a terrible time with the thread tension. Every time I start a fresh bobbin, I have to adjust both the top tension knob and bobbin tension screw, usually not just once but several times before the stitches are right. Then, when the bobbin is getting low, it goes all wonky again. I'm pretty sure the tension issue is also what causes the thread to break frequently. It just shouldn't be that difficult.

Sorry to keep whining, but the thread cutter often cuts the threads too short and the needle comes unthreaded, which wouldn't be so bad if I could get the needle threader to work more easily.

Yes, I have checked the needle, the threading, everything I can think of. I keep the machine cleaned and oiled and change the needle frequently. I am just so disappointed and frustrated to think I wasted my money on this. My 50-year old Kenmore does a better job with stitching - wish it had a better workspace.

Brother PQ1500S High Speed Quilting and Sewing Machine