5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed!
Published on February 15, 2007 by Timothy J. Drozinski

3.0 out of 5 stars First Labeler
I am a very organized person, and I wanted to streamline the look of my filing systems. Martha Stewart recommended the Brother P Touch on her shows many times, and I figured I'd give it a try.

Here are some thoughts and comments:

Published on January 28, 2007 by Bette

3.0 out of 5 stars First Labeler, January 28, 2007
Bette (East Coast USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Brother PT-80 P-touch Electronic Labeling System (Office Product)

Here are some thoughts and comments:

* Sucks up battery life like crazy. I attempted to use NEW yet out-of-the-package AAA batteries (expiration 2009) and the machine would stop printing and power off. You MUST use extremely new/fresh batteries, but really, I suggest that you take this opportunity to buy yourself a battery recharger with several rechargeable batteries if you are going to use this product. I also think an upgrade to this product would be the ability to operate it two ways : with batteries AND electric power source.

*There is a little piece of paper included somewhere in the packet that is very easy to miss, but is crucial to its operation. It is of a diagram which shows you that you must first REMOVE A PIECE OF THIN FOAM from the machine before installing the tape. This is NOT in the instruction booklet!

*$10+ for replacement cartridges seems expensive, seeing as how they do not last very long. Think ahead and buy your cartridges online at a discount so that you do not find yourself at the office supply store mid-project, paying way too much for retail.

*Colored tape makes it easy for you to color code your files. Though I prefer the plain black/white, you can use different color tapes for specific projects. For instance, financial files could be GREEN. There are several colors available but I did not find them visually pleasing, so I'm sticking with the black on white.

*In addition to color coding, there are functions which allow you to BOLD, ITALICIZE, and UNDERLINE, as well as choose which border you'd like to use. One of the more fun borders is CANDY, which looks like a candy wrapper. It's fun and feminine, and I use that one for my designer files. But there are more plain borders, as well as a masculine WOOD look. Others options are font size ; normal, 1/2 and X2 and width, which you can use to adjust for more characters. For example, a short word such as BANK is short enough to fit X2 on a file folder, whereas FINANCIAL STATEMENTS 2007 could be in regular size font and on 2 lines, to fit the folders. It's quite user friendly that way.

*The keyboard is obviously small, and therefore so are the keys. If you have big fingers, or long nails, use the eraser-side of a pencil on the keyboard.

*As with any new gadget, it will take some time to figure out how to use the product, but the instructions are easy to understand, overall.

Unfortunately, I paid full retail for this, but the price at Amazon is HALF of what I paid at the office supply store. I'm going to buy one from Amazon, with tapes, for my sister for her birthday. I think it makes a great gift, everyone will love this item. (And perhaps include the aforementioned batteries/charger as well!)

I have given the item 3 stars instead of 4 because Brother is soaking its customers with expensive replacement tapes. Doesn't seem very ethical to me. Also, new models are introduced to the market all the time, so while you may think you will use this for several years, it is more likely that newer, better models will become attractive with more experience and use. In this sense, the item is not cost-effective, especially since repair/replacement is probably more expensive than just buying a new one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed!, February 15, 2007
I've been going through a phase lately where I'm trying to organize the clutter around my house... I'm just tired of the mess. One of the main reasons why I wanted a label maker was because of the tangle of cords associated with my home theater system. With power cords for two game consoles, cable box, TV, DVD player, a Roku SoundBridge and a wireless bridge all plugged into the same power strip it was nearly impossible to figure out what I was unplugging at any given time. Same went for the A/V cables connecting everything. I made double-copy labels and folded one in half around every cable to make an easy-to-read tag, so now I know what every one is for without having to trace a wire from one end to the other through the rat's nest of wires behind the entertainment center.

I also used it to label all the boxes and Rubbermaid bins full of stuff in the attic storage space, and labeled some more plastic storage bins in a few closets.

The PT-80 features a full QWERTY-style keyboard that is easy to use, which is nicer than some other models that arrange the buttons in alphabetical order... I can two-thumb-type out any label in a matter of seconds. I've read some complaints about wasted tape, but I've organized three rooms with dozens of labels (many of them double-ended cable tags as I described for my entertainment center) and still haven't used up the first 26' cartridge. The little slot in the back of the device that helps peel the label end is nice, but doesn't work on the first time, every time... usually I have to put the end in and strip it back a few times before I can peel the label from the backing. I don't know if that experience is any different with other styles of tape, as I've only used the standard black-on-white tape.

An added bonus was that this device and the tape cartridges are significantly cheaper from Amazon than at the local office supply chain stores, especially with free 2-day shipping with Amazon Prime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Label Printer, Great Value, July 23, 2006
Andrew Abrahamowicz (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I just picked this label printer up (at Office Depot, since it was on special at nearly half the current amazon price) and am very pleased with the purchase.

The device is very light weight, using just 4 AAA batteries (not included).

I felt that the standard QWERTY keyboard was a plus over the ABC keyboards that the Dymo label printers use (this is personal preference -- some people may be more comfortable with the latter).

The device has several built in preset label sizes, to accomodate the spines of VHS/DVD, MiniDV, File tabs and Dividers (though this does 'waste' the label tape, causing the user to have to restock sooner).

The device comes with a single spool of Black on White -- the instructions indicate 26.2", though the product description here on Amazon states this means 26' of tape.

There is just 1 font, however labels can be printer either horizontally (the default for most people) or vertically. IN addition, you can 'stretch' it to 2x width or 1/2x width. A handful of symbols help you visually identify information (such as a small phone to indicate a phone number, or envelope to indicate email address).

Overall, the value is great, especially if you can get it for a low price!

4.0 out of 5 stars Functional for home labeling, February 18, 2007
A. Brown "Snoobles" (Broomfield, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This label maker works really well. Here are the pros:

1) Can change style of text (bold, shadow etc)

2) M tapes are very cheap compared to other Brother series of tapes

3) You can print on two lines (so say your name and phone number) but the text is fairly small - good for labeling personal property

4) Very easy to use - I never looked at the manual

Cons:

1) Uses a bit of extra tape on the ends

2) Only 2 lines max

3) Tapes only come in 1/2 and 3/8 inch widths.

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems like a step backward, January 9, 2007
Richard Kelly (Huntington Beach, CA) - See all my reviews
I am organizing my files both at home, and now at work. For the last two weeks, at home, I've been using my Brother PT-65. It is very intuitive to use, the buttons are laid out logically. It is basically designed so well that anything you want to do can be figured out intuitively, without having to look for the manual, or even think about it.

Now, at work I've gotten a PT-80 (I ordered the PT-65, but the office supply store sent this one as a equivalent) All I can say is, if this is the newer model in the M-tape line, this is certainly a downgrade.

First of all, the numbers have been printed not directly above their keys, but above and to the right. Notice the '1' is almost equally between the 'Q' and the 'W'. This causes unnecessary delay constantly having to think, "pick the key to the left of the number." Secondly, there are no dedicated function keys like on the PT-65. On that one, you simply hold the code button, and the size button, and you change size. On the PT-80, you have to use the Function button 'Fn' to cycle through the options until you find the one you want. Then you have to hit 'Enter', then pick a size with the cursor keys. Then 'Enter' again. None of it is intuitive, and you have to think through each step. Since I switch between sizes often, this slows me down.

Finally, I knew something was off after I printed my first label. I use the half-width fonts to squeeze more letters on file folders tabs. There is a noticeable decrease in resolution with these labels, over the ones I get from the PT-65.

These design flaws were not necessary. I don't know why Brother decided to go this route. Anyway, I highly recommend Brother M-Tape labelers. Just not this one. Get the PT-65 or similar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great but does have one quirk., October 19, 2007
R. Garth "rgarth" (Planet Earth Most of the Time.) - See all my reviews
The Good

1) Execellent product, the labels stick on to almost anything and they will stay on and legible for years. (I borrowed one of these 2 years ago to label a set of keys and the labels are still perfect)

2) The machine is easy to use and has many options for size, fonts and other effects.

3) The roll of labels that you get with the Machine will probably be all you ever need, I was able to do all my labeling for a multitude of power adapters, my home theater system wiring, all my house keys, computer network system etc. and still have half of the roll left.

The Bad
1) The excessive Lead in and Lead out space before the text wastes a ton of label tape.

2) Peeling the labels apart can be a chore if you have no finger nails.

3) Wierd bug in the software that sometimes you turn the unit on and it says battery power is Low, even though you just put in new batteries. Just Turn Off and On again and the message goes away.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great successor of PT-65, July 26, 2006
Brother follows its successful tradition of cheap but effective personal label maker. PT-80 is a new label maker following the footsteps of highly regarded PT-65. This model features three updates over PT-65. You require only 4 AAA batteries. The LCD accommodates more characters and the addition of a compressed font. The downside is that the resolution decreases from 240 to 230 DPI. The 10 DPI resolution decrease does not affect the quality of the print. The problem of excess labels on either side of the printed part remains. Overall, it is a great personal labelmaker.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sucks Batteries Dry in Nothing Flat, September 15, 2007
Carl Klutzke (Indianapolis, IN USA) - See all my reviews
I don't know why this thing asks for the date and time when you start it: I've had to replace the batteries every time I've used it, and then re-enter the date and time again. Yesterday I put brand new Duracell batteries in it, purchased that day, and after printing one label ("SPARES") the low battery warning came on. I tried printing another label and it just gave up. And that was the _second_ set of new batteries I tried, because I wasn't sure the Energizers I put in the first time were absolutely fresh. And there's not even a plugin for an AC adapter, so it's totally useless. I acknowledge that my experience must be atypical, otherwise no one would be giving this thing good reviews. However, if you do get one of these, make sure you give it a good workout right away, and keep all the packing materials in case you need to ship it back.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Labeler For Casual Use, December 18, 2006
This is a nice labeler if your needs are not constant and your needs are items close at hand. The typeface/font is about 1/2" tall which is fine for file folders or other items on a shelf. If you want a labeler for items/boxes that will go in stacks or on a high shelf, unless you have 10-20 vision, you will probably need a larger labeler machine.

I'm not sure what the other reviewer was talking about in discussing "waste." It seems pretty straightforward. You type on the QWERTY keyboard and you press the PRINT button. The label comes up, you use the built in "cutter" button on the left and the label is cut. There is maybe 1/2" "lead" on the front and back of your letters - looks reasonably attractive to have a little white space front and back - hardly seems excessive. Certainly some people might want to trim it back some more but hardly a deal breaker.

What's also nice is that the user interface is actually well designed. The ON button is clearly marked. After a short setup (less than a minute to end time & date because there is an TIME/DATE button for people who need that - not very useful for me but cool to have anyway), you can just start typing. There are two large SHIFT keys as well as a CAP button. The NUMBER key is clearly marked as well as the accent key. There is a symbol key that contains probably close to 100 symbols ranging from the obvious brackets to the Euro sign to cool little "dingbat" choices - an excellent readable touch so you don't have to just use dashes or asterisks. What's also great is it's well designed. If you are typing and want to add a forward bracket like > just press SYMBOL and using two green arrow keys, simply navigate through until you hit a symbol you want. Then press the ARROW (POINTER) key which is the ENTER key (that is the only oddity, why not just call it ENTER?) but what's great is it remembers that you prefer/used that symbol so after you go back to typing letters, if you hit SYMBOL again, it goes back to that like-grouping of symbols instead of making you start from the beginning of the symbol choices - nice.

It's also easy to figure the green arrow keys let you navigate back to correct or add letters in the middle of your text - while the BS key will erase as it backspaces.

There's also an interesting magnifying key that will scroll your text in case your needs are artificial food additives like "6-hydroxydopamine" so you can double check what you typed :-) It will also tell you how long your label is for the exacting person ...

For me, it's the right price for a labeler AND just as importantly, the labels don't cost an arm and a leg - about $6 since my needs are not that great. The bigger labelers hold greater length tape so if you need to make dozens of labels a day, that might be a better deal in the long run but if you don't need large or that many labels that often, this is a great choice.

About the only downside is the font size "choices' are not really choices as they are no larger or clearer (there is a "tiny" sized choice if you prefer that) - they are just stretched or narrower. They look fine but are no more or less readable than the main choice so really - it is one choice but of course, you can figure that there would be a tradeoff in a lower cost choice.

So, excellent and easy to use if your needs are not daily. Also note, the unit is not particularly large (the keyboard area) so you do have to use some finese - even with the batteries, it is very light weight wise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hey, I love this thing, May 26, 2007
I've used everything from the cheap, clunky, squeezy, plastic label maker to the over $100.00 versions packed in their own padded suitcases. All I know is that this little label maker is fast, reliable, has every option I need, is easy to figure out, and makes perfect labels every time. They stick like they are supposed to, and they peel off without a trace when you want them to. The wide variety of fonts, styles, etc. are more than enough for my needs. It even prints two lines of text if you want it to. I'll never use all the features. The labels are easy to peel apart using the little slot tool, and so what if there is a margin on both sides of the label? That's the way these things work! Even the executive, overpriced versions do that. Yes, the replacement cartridges are expensive, but they are on all these things.

Hey - you want cheap? Go get a hand-numbing plastic twirling squeezy thing at a dollar discount store. I'll keep this one, thank you very much.