5.0 out of 5 stars MFC-J425W
Printer works as advertised. With the wireless function, not only can you print wirelessly, but when you scan, it automatically detects your computer (if you have more than one, the LCD allows you to choose which one to send it to). Unpackaging and setup are quick and easy.

Published on October 19, 2011 by NLMDE

1.0 out of 5 stars Cannot believe my experience with Brother!!
Published 21 months ago by M. Swanson

5.0 out of 5 stars MFC-J425W, October 19, 2011
This review is from: Brother Printer MFCJ425W Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax (Office Product)

The CD contains all the software that you need. When you start the setup, be patient. Sometimes it will be installing something in the background but will give you no indications. I know that at one point I went three minutes when it seemed like nothing was going to happen, another install screen popped up.

When completing the "wireless setup" on the printer via USB, the software will try and use your network settings to find what network the printer should connect to. This makes it easy as you don't have to enter your SSID and network key. If it needs you be on another network, it has the option to manually enter it. It also allows for you to set-up a static IP.

The printer allows you to setup how long until it "goes to sleep". It will automatically wake-up when you send something to the printer.

Colors look good. After you install the print cartridge, it takes about 5 minutes of cleaning.

The printer is a bit noisy when it is printing, but I like that as I can tell from another room if the printer is actually printing without having to get up and look. When it is asleep it makes absolutely no noises.

All in all, the printer is nice and works very well. It fits perfectly on one of my tables. I will update my review as I continue to use the printer.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a Biggie, December 16, 2011
This is mainly in response to the review that said it took the printer a long time to reset between each page of a scan or copy. I just tried my new printer and it pumps out the copies as fast as it reads them in using the ADF - no delays. I know what he means - the printer is constantly chick chicking away between print jobs and I think the doc says it can do that in the middle of the night (so don't unplug this machine) - all to keep up good print quality, which so far is GREAT. I'm selling my HPs and have this and a DCP-J125 from Brother - all in hopes of reliable printing with ability to use generic cartridges. I was pulling my hair out with HP in that dept and refuse to pay so much for HP cartridges, PERIOD. So this machine so far prints, copies and scans well and I got the fax to work inbound and outbound using our Ooma VOIP system (just have to do *99 before outgoing fax number). Haven't tried wireless yet as we connect our other PCs via the house network which works great after you 'share' this printer. This is a huge printer though - wish it was smaller. I love that this does easier duplex than the DCP-J125, and this printer does booklet printing - all very valuable. Check out LC-75 cartridges at ldproducts.com.

Update: I originally installed this with USB cable to home desktop - that worked fine with the "home network"/shared printer setup. This past weekend I reinstalled to take advantage of wireless - for two reasons 1) don't have to walk up or downstairs to turn the PC it was connected to "on", 2) use the Iphone app. I just reinstalled and followed the instructions (infrastructure setup I believe) and it connected fine wirelessly to my desktop - could fax and scan as well. It appears you have to install the whole (big) MFL Suite on each laptop. I did that on my Vista laptop and got 2 "specified port does not exist" errors - tried adding some ports per the instructions but got that error three times. I could see the printer in "Network" and right click and get its IP address. There is, in All Pgms / Brother / MFCJ425W folder an uninstall pgm that I used each time - also installing it again seems to do some uninstalling to begin with. Couldn't get around that error and couldn't choose the wireless printer when I went to print. Call Brother - they sent me the "solution" which is basically "good luck". Googled network printer problem and found some info - followed that to "add printer" / Wireless or Network / Don't See Printer I Want and then used the IP address to add the printer. That went fine and all of a sudden there it was and could be used... Then I went to daughter #1's Win 7 machine - that installed no problems and works. Then told daughter #2 about the Iphone app - she can work on that....

4.0 out of 5 stars Pros & Cons - Not Bad, May 17, 2012
While I love technology, I had been using a HP Deskjet 5150 for nine years. The problem is for the past several years a supported Mac driver was no longer offered, so I had to use drivers for other printers that caused issues. Thus, my decision to finally spring for a new printer.

There was a lot to choose from. However, this Brother MCF-J425W stood out as an exceptional value. I also considered a professional Brother model that printed 11x17 sized images, but the footprint of the device and height was too tall for my desk area. This unit, while still larger than some units, fit in my tight space.

Motivation for purchase and Pros:

1) The brother ink cartridges do not have the ink head nor a computer chip. This makes it possible for third parties to reproduce the cartridges at insanely low prices as seen on Amazon. With other brands, you have to have remanufactured cartridges if you want to save money (essentially refilled). These refilled cartridges quality varies dramatically and the results are usually not worth the hassle/savings. Therefore, your price per print on Brother (which is easy to get good third party ink) can come out insanely low compared to say HP where you probably want to stick with OEM ink.

2) Wireless features. Yes, most printers in this category are wireless now. It was easy to setup and I quickly downloaded and updated the firmware on the printer to utilize Apple's Air Print from my iPhone and iPad. Works fine. Wish you could change settings on the phone and iPad though. I have no idea what setting it uses when you print from a phone or tablet? Maybe "normal?" The other major wireless feature is Brother's own free application from the app store that lets you print and more impressively scan documents right from the phone. Therefore, if you have the printer setup away from computers and whatnot, do all the scanning work right on your phone or iPad via the brother App! Pretty cool, though I personally have limited use for that.

3) Price. With the instant savings that come and go, this product was cheap to say the least.

Observations & Disappointments upon arrival and use:

1) Print Speed - They quote numbers better than my 2003 HP printer, but it feels slower. It will take 10-15 seconds just to start printing and if you want Normal with color, it's not too fast printing either. I've found grayscale copies on "Normal" setting are acceptable speed, though not fast. Grayscale copies on "High," is annoying slow, and on "Best," it's impossibly slow.

2) Print Quality - This relates back to speed. Don't even bother with "Fast/Draft," unless it's something you are going to throw away soon and were just proofing. Fast/Draft documents are ugly on this machine, unlike my nine year old HP. I don't even want to read a draft on it. The letters are all pixelated and horrible looking on this fast setting. I refuse to use the fast setting. I think "Normal," is closer to what draft was on my HP. I cannot tell a difference between "High," and "Best," for text, so on the most important report, paper, or business document I would use "High." Less important day to day things, "Normal," will probably be ok. Too bad that "high," will take so long. Finally, there is suppose to be an "Ink save," feature that only outlines images when printing a fast/draft, but this setting seems unavailable on Mac. This could be made clearer.

3) Scanning. Scanning works fine and if you're on OS X, the built in drivers or the ones you download from Apple.com work perfect. I can scan right from the Mac without problem.

4) Faxing is pretty straightforward though there are many advanced settings, so be careful.

5) No duplexing. More and more printers offer duplexing today. I know this is an entry range wireless, but I would have really liked to have duplexing. In the real world though, I guess I might not use duplexing that much even if I had it.

6) Paper Tray - The paper tray must be nearly completely removed from the printer to add paper. It holds just shy of 100 standard sheets of paper. While it's not horrible to replace normal paper (100 sheets will last me a while), it's mind bogglingly frustrating to swap paper, envelopes, and photo paper. It's just too involved, the paper tray is too clunky, to do a swap quickly. I do print envelopes at least monthly, so I find this frustrating.

7) Photo Printing - This is not something I had planned to do with the printer as for so many years I had not had much interest. However, with the excitement of a new printer, I got out some old HP photo paper and got going! Wow. There is something about seeing your photographs on glossy photo paper. It's more satisfying than on the computer screen or uploaded to the HD television. I printed several 4x6 and one 8 1/2 x 11 photo. Wow. The 8 1/2 x 11 photo is impressive to me, just seeing a photo that size in hand. Now, the quality. I can't say exactly. The quality is VERY GOOD. I wouldn't call it perfect or striking, but very nice indeed. I would love to compare the quality to other photo printers. This might just peak a renewed interest in photo printing for me. It's fun. Now, photo printing is very slow too, but that doesn't bother me because we're talking about high resolution photographs and of course photos are slow. The 4x6 in photo or best mode seemed fairly quick though. The 8 1/2 x 11 in best mode took about ten minutes. Again, this doesn't bother me. Printing a two page black and white report that takes one minute bothers me.

Overall, the feature set of the printer for the price makes it highly attractive. The price of third party ink (used at your own risk) and wireless features are fantastic.

The biggest drawback for me is the print speed. It just feels slow especially the time between clicking print and the actual beginning to print. The second drawback is the print quality. You have to use a higher setting for acceptable quality compared to other printers, which slows the speed down even more. The third major drawback is the paper tray. It's a headache to use compared to my old HP that had most of the paper tray exposed, ready to adjust and swap stock. The final drawback is lack of duplexing. Recommended product, but realize its drawbacks and limitations before deciding. The true rating should be around 3.5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, October 30, 2011
Very happy with our purchase. User friendly setup, takes maybe 10-15 minutes but no problems. The wireless option allows you to print from your computer in one room to the printer in another room. Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cannot believe my experience with Brother!!, February 27, 2013
I have successfully installed about 10 printers by myself. After spending several hours trying to install this, hating to call them, I had to. The first 800 number I called said my wait time was a few minutes. 40 minutes later I hung up. Called the other 800 number, India....picked up right away and had problems with language. I said my first issue is that the printer will not turn off, I have to unplug it. He said he could fix that. My second problem was that I could not get the printer to go online to print. Stupidly, I let him have command of my computer. He showed me all the errors that were slowing down my computer...they were ALL related to the printer installation. Then the WORST part, he wanted to sell me a warranty for $141 for a year. I said I had just gotten the printer the day before, it was brand new. He said I needed to talk to his supervisor. Then HE also tried to sell me the warranty, saying I would not have to pay for this call. I have NEVER in my life had such a horrible experience. Run, do NOT by anything from Brother, ever!!!! Hours wasted, stress level a 10+.

5.0 out of 5 stars excelent printer for the price, March 5, 2012
Printer arrived quickly and was exactly as stated. We have several laptops in the house and 2 desktops so the wireless function is a big +. It is not at all complicated to hook up and install on each computer as long as you follow the instructions precisely. You MUST bring each computer to the printer or the printer to each computer and allow the computer to recognize the printer via a USB cable first. If your computer does not recognize the printer automatically then you must install the printer as a USB printer first using the drivers provided on the installation disk. Then install the software sweet and select wireless install. Additionally you must set up the wireless network on the printer first. You will need to know the wep key (or password) for your router and the dns(domain name server). Once all this is done (about 10 minutes) the printer works perfectly from any room in the house. In my case the printer is hard lined into one computer and accessed via wireless connection for all the other computers. The printer is fairly quiet and quick to respond to commands. I would definatly recommend this printer for it's price and functions.
I would also recommend you get ink cartridges from Amazon. You can get a ten pack of color and black high yield 75 page cartridges for around $15.00. Or you can get a 20 pack for around $25.00. You are not going to see that price @ your local office supply or wally-wierd store. Just search for LC-75 in the search pane from Amazon's home page.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY!! Unless you have a lot of patience!, December 7, 2011
Although, it copies fast, you need to estimate 45-60 seconds PER copy, when you add in the "in-between" time... because the machine goes through a reset mode after each scanned copy. (I called the company directly, Brother, and they confirmed that this is how the printer functions.) The reset/cleaning, whatever you want to call it, takes about 40 seconds. So, if you are copying 5 different pages out of a book, for example, the printer does a 40 second reset after EACH copy, making your 5 page copy job- about 5 minutes long. However, multiple copies of the same scan should not be a problem.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly less than expected, April 8, 2012
While I must first acknowledge that it does all it says it does.

1. ADF eases scanning and printing
2. Scans well, both pdf and images (found out that the control center 4 that allows to scan will only create image pdf that are not searchable and also bigger in size, thankfully the included nuance paperport software allows for that)
3. Prints well, I understand the ink is cheap, while that was a factor that helped me make the decision, as a strictly 'personal use' user looking back I don't really print that much.
4. Connected to my secured wifi with no hassle, and is able to reconnect and is almost seamless that the device is not physically connected to my desktop, helps also because I have more than one pc.

But... I bought this to replace my aged Canon MP 150, while the biggest selling point for me was the auto-feeder, with my obsession over scanning and maintaining even remotely important paper, I thought it would be great to easily scan all the paper without having to scan them page by page, alas, lesson learnt, this will scan only one side of the page using the adf, thus if you paper is printed on both sides, which it will be in most cases nowadays, you are back to page by page manual scanning.

Also, I notice the best quality scanning results are not even comparable to the ones Canon did, Canon did a far better job, to the extent for the first slightly colored page scanned I had to go back to check if it was scanning in grayscale. Now I wonder if I should still keep the Canon to do the really important paper like the certificates.

Perhaps not the best decision for me given my use pattern and priorities, I wanted to write this review to share my thoughts about this to help others. Hopefully it does. Cheers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, December 23, 2011
George R. Lanning (Olympia, WA United States) - See all my reviews
At the price, I didn't expect very much from this unit, but it works great both as a color printer, color scanner, and color fax. I am quite happy with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, basic printer that's hard to set-up to print wirelessly., February 9, 2012
I'm 30 years old and fairly tech savvy so I didn't anticipate having such a hard time setting up this printer's wireless functionality despite reading the reviews before buying it. I'm able to locate my wireless router from the printer and from set-up disc on my computer but it refuses to accept my router's password. I tried to connect a variety of other ways and none of them work either. I contacted Brother's tech support (a foreign person, of course) and half way through the standard trouble shooting protocol I lost the call and they didn't call me back. I'm glad I purchased the USB cable along with the printer because otherwise I wouldn't be able to use the printer at all.

As for the printer's basic functions (e.g., printing and scanning, I don't fax) it's good. I also like how you can replace individual color cartridges versus some brands which make you purchase every color even when only one has run out of ink. This is a MAJOR scam and I'll never purchase a printer which requires you to do so. Kudos to Brother for not ripping its customers off.

If you're REALLY tech savvy or are OK with spending some time on the telephone working with technical support to set-up the wireless function then you should buy this printer because it works well otherwise and is priced right.

I'm comfortable giving this printer 4 stars despite the wireless headaches.