Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Brother MFCJ450DW Wireless with Scanner, Copier and Fax Inkjet Printer
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on October 11, 2013
Style: Printer|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
For a multi-functional all-in-one printer, this Brother MFCJ450DW is fairly compact, measuring 16 inches long, 14-1/2 inches wide, and 6-1/2 inches tall. It is versatile; it can do most things a user in a home office or a small business office would want to do - it prints, copies, scans, and faxes. The paper tray is removable and can hold up to 100 sheets of 8-1/2 x 11 plain paper or 20 sheets of inkjet or glossy paper of the same size. Furthermore, there is an automatic document feeder (ADF) which can feed up to twenty 8-1/2 x 11 sheets of documents at a time. To me, it was a pleasant surprise because, in my experience, document feeders were restricted to larger floor-models.

At the front panel of this printer, there is a 1-1/2" x 1-1/4" LCD screen. The user can operate the functions of faxing, scanning, and copying at the front panel or, if he prefers, at his computer with the provided software on the included CD. I connected this printer to my Dell computer by USB. It can also be connected via a wireless network. The print quality is very good and comparable to other printers I used to own, including HP and Epson printers. This Brother printer does duplex printing (automatic 2-sided printing) - no more having to flip over the paper by hand. It makes 2-sided printing a breeze. There is a unique copy function which allows the user to copy up to four sheets of documents and print them all on one single sheet. I find that unusual. There is also a "Web Connect" function with which the user can scan to or print from the Cloud. I don't use this function; I have to leave it to other reviewers.

The purchase comes with 4 separate ink cartridges - magenta, cyan, yellow, and black. They are starter cartridges with limited ink capacity. The price of Brother ink cartridges is comparable to other brands, which is too high in my opinion. It is an open secret that printer manufacturers sell their printers at rock bottom prices but make a ton of money selling ink for them. Nevertheless, at ninety dollars a pop, one can't beat the price of this features-loaded all-in-one printer. I highly recommend this Brother printer to Amazon shoppers.

Update 4/28/14: I replaced the black ink cartridge about a month ago with the Brother LC103BK. It pops into the printer with perfect fit and produces very good black and white prints comparable to those produced by the original cartridge, although the Amazon webpage does not list MFCJ450DW as a compatible printer. The webpage says that it will print 600 pages. That is plenty but I cannot verify that; I will have to take the manufacturer's word on it. Check out the ink cartridge here: Brother Printer LC103BK High Yield Cartridge Ink, Black

Update 3/9/16: I have used the following inks in my Brother MFCJ450DW printer. They worked okay:
1. Inkjetcorner 20 Pack Compatible Ink Combo Set for Brother LC103 LC101 LC103XL BLC103 MFC-J245 MFC-J285DW MFC-J450DW MFC-J475DW MFC-J650DW MFC-J870DW MFC-J875DW (3rd Generation)
I bought this ink from Inkjet Corner.

2. TS 10PK Compatible Ink Cartridges for B - LC103 XL (4 Black, 2 Yellow, 2 Magenta, 2 Cyan) for Multifunction Printers MFC-J4310DW MFC-J4410DW MFC-J4510DW MFC-J4610DW MFC-J4710 MFC-J470DW MFC-J475DW MFC-J870DW MFC-J875DW
I bought this ink from Toner Surplus.
2222 comments|502 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2013
I bought this after my old Canon Pixma IP1500 finally died. I have to say for such an inexpensive printer, that was a really good one & lasted a long time. I almost went with a Canon again, but all the reviews I read kept talking about how expensive they were to keep them in ink, so I did some research online & found out that an older model of this Brother Printer was rated at the top for 5 yrs. in a row. I would have never bought a Brother printer otherwise. So, I decided to go for the newer model & am really glad I did! It was really easy to set up wirelessly & I've had no problems with it at all. I print shipping labels everyday for my small business & use an online printer for my photos or prints, so this is mostly a business printer. I haven't set it up for the FAX yet because I really don't need that. So far, I don't have any complaints. I haven't run out of ink yet and it seems to print flawlessly. I would definitely recommend it. It's a good buy! And the price was very reasonable for the quality.
22 comments|293 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 15, 2013
This was my first Brother printer; I've been wanting to try out the Brother brand for a while, as they've made decent and reliable small business printers for years (at least as far as I know of them). It seems they're really pushing into the consumer territory, and with the major manufacturers (HP, Canon, etc) all having their various failings, now might be the best time to switch to a different brand.

Overall, let me just summarize at the top that this printer is functional, does everything it should quite well, except the print quality is pretty mediocre and the plastic paneling is very very cheap.

Now, that may sound like I'm unimpressed with the printer, but that would be wrong. I think the cheap paneling isn't that big a deal so long as you treat it with care, just don't go and plop something heavy on top or else you'll probably obliterate the thing. My previous printer was a Canon MX700, and the plastic was very thick on it and the printer lasted for years (but scanned pretty poor quality). I don't have kids or anything that might break the printer so I'm not too worried, and for a personal printer it should be fine, I just wouldn't have it necessarily as a printer for a whole small office due to its brittleness.

The print quality gets the job done, but I wouldn't expect even high quality prints of documents (that are meant to show to prospective clients for example) and certainly wouldn't even attempt photo printing. But, if you need high quality color documents, FedEx Office/Kinkos/etc are always there, and WalMart/Costco will print photos that will blow away all but the highest end printers (which would cost thousands, I know I used to work for Costco's photolab and now work in digital media). In fact, the printing of this machine reminds me of the old color dot-matrix printers (even makes that irritating "rrreerrr" noise as the print head moves back and forth). Speaking of noise, its pretty quite, but does make that high-pitch noise as the print head moves around, but its pretty muffled and certainly acceptable.

Other pros of the machine include its rich feature set (duplexing, ADF, wireless, etc). The wireless worked easy for me; I did have to install software from the CD and it installed some irritating taskbar software with popups for updating (didn't remember seeing that listed through the install prompts). I like the paper tray being within the machine in the front instead of paper sticking out the back like many consumer machines, and the print cartridges are really easy to replace as the door is located in the front of the machine (no having to prop up the lid to change cartridges).

Like I said, the cons aren't really a big deal nor a deal breaker, just don't expect this to be a shared frequent-use high-quality printer. It fits its niche quite well, and for all of its cheapness it seems intelligently designed (like my Civic, cheap parts but also designed to run forever). I'm satisfied with it for the price, and have no problems recommending it to people needing a cheap all-in-one printer for their personal use.
33 comments|213 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2014
This is not a bad printer, but after living with it for nearly 2 years, the one unhappiness is how often I have to buy ink. I took a calculator to it and I'm spending about .05 for a black-ink text page! So, if you have to race to the store because you suddenly run out of ink, you'll pay around $27 for a black ink cartridge that delivers just 600 copies.

So today is the last day I'll buy ink for this machine. I'm going to graduate to an "HP OfficeJet Pro 8610 Wireless All-in-One Color Inkjet Printer (A7F64A)" which apparently prints copies for about .02 a page and has many happy customers.
66 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 23, 2014
Firstly, I notice at the time of this writing there is around a 15% negative reviews, most I've read so far are to do with connectivity, and lack of decent customer service. I know this because I too have had this problem connectivity problem, so I went reading for solutions.

I received the machine yesterday afternoon as promised by Amazon Prime, and since around 4pm yesterday afternoon I have been trying to connect it to my wifi. 3 hours last night, another 2 hours today. When I went to Brothers website it says Customer service is M-F, 9-5, so I didnt bother to call. I've set up other wireless printers with ease, but not this one. I followed the instructions to a T many times over. I went into my gateway and changed settings, turned off firewalls on the gateway modem and more. Nothing... I was ready to click the refund button on Amazon because I thought not only doesnt it work, but by get expedited shipping if you have to wait days just to get help installing it. So just for grins and last ditch effort I tried customer service. To my shock my call was answered. The CS rep was very nice, and routed right though to a Tech. Here is the information I found out that turned it from a nightmare to a pleasure.

This machine will not automatically connect to WPS systems. This includes ATT 2wire uverse modem gateways.
So you have to do it manually.

Got to network
Wlan
Wizard

Detect your network, then when ask about installing to WPS, check # 1 ( 1= No )
Press # 2

Now , here is that part that if they would have just added some kind of text on the screen, or a section on this in the manual or even online would have made the world of difference. Pressing 2 takes you to a screen with a small flashing cursor in the upper right hand corner. This is where you enter you Gateway Modem Key. Then press ok.. and your done~!!!!!!

yes, a simple 2 words on the screen like " enter Key" would have prevented 5 hours of headaches and anger at Brother..

As for operations.

This printer is quiet compared to all the other printers I have had over the years, and its pretty fast too.
The color quality isn't that of a high priced professional printer, but that is not what you buy a $68 dollar printer for. I printed a Pantone color and grey scale chart out and while not commercial color saturation quality, its more than enough for printing photos, business forms, even pamphlets or art work my kids create. I find it, so far, to be perfect for what im doing.

If you want to print black and white, under printer properties set your defaults to greyscale . Then it only prints in black and white.
on October 12, 2013
I have used many different types and kinds of printers, but Brother Printer is the whole new animal. Super easy to use and set up, minimal usage of ink (very important), and also super affordable ink (very important). WIFI setup was easy, overall setup was easy, overall I am very impressed and would definitely recommend it. Did I say it also looks very good!!!!
11 comment|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Style: Printer|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This printer works very well. I was able to easily set it up on my wifi network and all of my computers easily linked to it. The print quality is average for a color printer. It is not the worlds best photo printer - I tried to use some photo stock and the colors were not very deep. It is very fast and not very loud when printing everyday text, etc. The scanner has a document feeder which did not jam very much. It also has a fax, but I haven't had an opportunity to test that.

The best part of this printer is the duplex printing. Printing on both sides not only saves paper, but it makes large documents less burdensome to carry in my litigation bag.

The scanner works well for text documents. It is extremely show if you want to scan a photo on high resolution.

Five stars. It does everything very well.
55 comments|181 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 19, 2014
Update: I had to come back and revise this review. Everything I said previously is true, and I adored this printer, while it lasted. I bought this in mid-late 2014, and it's already having major problems. The most recent is that printing any sort of document (no matter how small) takes sooooo long. One halfsheet of paper with minimal coloring took, I kid not, 7 minutes to complete printing. I'm going to fiddle with it a bit, maybe install a new ink cartridge I have lying about. However, a year is far too short a lifespan for this printer. I've had 20 dollar near-disposeable printers last me at least 2-3 years before conking out.

For years I've stuck with the most basic of printers. Those fax/scan/bells and whistle printers were just not for me, I told myself. Then when my last printer (a 35 dollar HP) died on me, I started hunting around for its replacement. I had originally planned on going basic again, but I was dissatisfied with HP ink cartridges and how they required a new cartridge even if only one color went out. Plus, I use to be able to refill the HP cartridges, but with my last HP printer, it wouldn't register the ink. So I started researching printers that specifically had separate cartridges for each color. Brother and Epson were the two brands that kept coming up in my search. Well, I have a brother laser printer at my job that is a little workhorse...I mean that thing has been chugging along for years with nary a glitch. So I bit the bullet and purchased the MFCJ450DW.

I'll be honest, the wireless setup was not the easiest in the world, especially with the security setup I had. My SSID (which I only learned what that acronym stood for during the setup...I'm not a computer wizard...just a gal who reads directions well) wasn't recognized. When I manually configured it using what I knew was the name for my connection, the passkey wouldn't work. The only way I could get the thing to connect was by dropping my security down to open, make the connection with the passkey, then switch it back up to WPA2 after the fact. Took me a while of trial and error and reading up online for this to work, even with the setup wizard on the printer. I even tried the USB option, but it wouldn't register printer this way for some reason.

However, now that the wireless is up and running, I couldn't be happier. Love that it holds multiple sheets of paper in a tray (keeps it from flopping forward or gathering dust). Love that it can print on both sides of the paper without having to manually flip it...and that it will flip it long end or short end. Love that the ink cartridges are separate and that I found an Amazon market seller who sells compatible cartridges (very professional looking too...nicely boxed and no leaks or poorly constructed casings like with some generic ink companies) for a ridiculously low price. Love that it's really nicely constructed with a good heft to the scanner/copier and quality of scans. I swear, it really is comparable to the machines we have in our front office, yet it fits into a small corner of my room. Very, very impressive machine and well worth the price.

12-29-14 - I have since used the scanner and found it to be excellent as well. I had to scan several items to make a Yearbook presentation and even the most subtle of watermarks and the barest color variations from the original came through. Photos came out on photopaper with absolute crispness and without any of the visible, horizontal lines from my other printer.
66 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2014
I never really new the Brother brand as far as Printers were concerned. After reading reviews I decided to give them a try. I chose the MFC-J450DW because... It was affordable, Wireless, All in one, LCD menu screen, Had separate ink cartridges, Ink was not too expensive compared to other brands and works well with inexpensive after market ink. The main LCD screen always displays Ink levels in very small handy "Ink-crements" :) so it's easy to keep track. When I viewed the "Ink Volume" sub menu on the LCD as the levels dropped down, it looked like there were burned out pixels. Turns out they are little black line indication levels!

The Printer and Scanner works well. Text looks reasonably clean and crisp. I've read reviews saying text is not super clean. It look's very good to me. Only negative is Photo printing is just average at best. (Sometimes Photos printed on photo paper come out very well, others are a little dark and muddy) I use my Canon Pixma for Photo printing so I wouldn't recommend the Brother for yielding high quality Photos. When you load photo paper in the bottom tray be sure to use at least 2 sheets or the printer might not be able to grab the paper in the feeder. You can make copies without a computer, Either place the original on the glass platen or in the motorized Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) on the top of the unit. The ADF is used for copying only and is handy for multiple sheet copying. A little tip, Everything loads face down. Originals, Paper or photo paper. In The ADF, In the Tray, On the Platen. You can easily control copy quality, Color or B&W from the menu pad and LCD screen. The paper feeds nicely in all the trays, Very little noise and no jams. 2 sided copies are fun, The machine automatically pulls the printed sheet back into the printer to do the other side. The paper feed bottom tray is nice as it keeps dust off the paper and you can just leave it in filled with paper all the time, The only negative is you have to pull it out and the paper if you switch it and resize the tray for 4x6 Photo paper. (Not too much of an issue since it's not a good photo printer anyways) I sometimes print with brighter better quality paper so I just quickly pull out the tray and add it to the top of the paper stack.

update: I made a mistake printing a full size 8.5 x 11 sheet of very thick Kodak inkjet photo paper (74 lb, 10 mil). It was just too thick and stiff to feed thru the tray and bend 180 degrees around the rollers at the back of the machine. I then looked and found in the Manual the list of "acceptable paper" and it recommends 58 lbs max. I tried a thinner (11 lb, 8.5 mil) Photo paper and it worked great. Just stay away from heavy, very thick 8.5 x 11 papers and you'll be fine. Check the manual!

I set up the Wireless connection thru the Machine, It found my Wireless Network but the tricky part was entering my Network password, It doesn't prompt you for it, but goes to a blank screen after you press a few options to enter the password. To set up from the machine, Go to Menu, Network, WLAN, Set Up Wizard, It'll search for available Wifi signals. The LCD will readout "Searching SSID" Find your Network/Wifi name and choose it. Now it will go to a blank screen with a flashing cursor, now enter your Wifi Password. I loaded the Brother Software, (Drivers and Control Center 4) on 3 different Computers running Windows XP and 7. All worked fine and communicate with the Brother with no problems. I then uninstalled the Brother programs I don't use.

Be patient, when you press the power button nothing happens for a few seconds until the LCD display turns on. The total startup takes about 18 seconds and is pretty quiet . My Canon Pixma noisily clunks and whirs for 23 seconds (seems longer) on start up. Shuting down the Brother is a little annoying, To turn the Printer off you must hold down the power button for a couple seconds, Then you get an "All Fax related data will be deleted" prompt and must press 1 to shut down every time. (I will never use the Fax) You could leave it in sleep mode (on standby) if you use it a lot. It powers up instantly from Sleep.
review image
VINE VOICEon October 14, 2013
Style: Printer|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
After a long history of using Epson brand printers, this was my first experience with a Brother brand machine. Overall, I was impressed with its good quality when printing pictures and documents. I have used many all-in-one printers from different brands, and this model is definitely one of the lighter weight models I have encountered.

A couple of features that I really appreciate on this particular printer are that the ink levels display clearly on the main screen, making it much easier to plan for future ink purchases. In addition, the ink cartridges are loaded through a dedicated access panel in the front of the printer. This is much easier than the traditional method of lifting open the entire unit, which can sometimes be a challenge with the scanning lid of most all-in-one models. Overall, this is a very nice printer that is certainly worth the price.